Running?

Options
jcavanna2
jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
I made it back to the gym today and this is a brand new gym that just opened. Since I am recovering from pneumonia and my hip bursitis is flared I decided to just go on the treadmill. These machines are new to me so I selected a program and it had me doing intervals of walking and RUNNING. I couldn’t figure out how to modify the program so I RAN for the intervals which were anywhere from 1-2 mins each and I DIDN’T DIE!!

That said I figure it will get easier with more practice. Do you guys have tips on how to manage hip bursitis, plantar fasciitis and arthritic knees? Yes I sound like I am falling apart BUT I figure if I could manage running anywhere from 6-10 mins total this morning I may just give it a try. And truth be told I do have marathon envy when I see the comments and pics about the marathons you complete plus the calorie burn. Appreciate any insight! :)

Replies

• jcavanna2
    Options
    This is awesome info - thanks @Ultima_Morpha - gotta learn how to properly work the treadmill in case I need to slow down. :)
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am right with you @jcavanna2, I have marathon envy!! I'm super close to finishing C25K (couch to 5K app)-- Today is week 7, day 2-5min warm up then 25 minute jog/run--I'm on the treadmill, and am increasing the speed some, so today it'll be 5.2 MPH, then I need to figure out a 5K I can run, that isn't outside right now... so freaking COLD here!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @Samquentin that’s awesome for you...the treadmill yesterday had me walking at 3.7 and running at 5.2. It was anywhere from 6-10 mins total. What app are you using?
  • Samquentin
    Options
    gjo5cc6w9mmo.png

@jcavanna2 C25K running trainer. :) I never thought i'd be able to run, period. So it's pretty exciting! It's so funny what I think about while running... "why do people run? This isnt fun.. but i'm running! holy crap, I can do this! why on earth do I drive to the gym to run on the treadmill.... I'm like a little mouse on a wheel, running-running-running, and getting nowhere... Sweet!! 20 minutes down! 5 to go! we got this!! Quick body check.... feet-good, knees-good, hips-good, back-good.... then all the sudden, its done... and I throw my hands up and say YES! like a big dork, and everyone around me looks at me.... BUT I ran! and I feel GREAT!!! LOL!)

@Aztec4Life I wish I was in California! but, I'm smack dab in the middle of the states... in Kansas City Missouri (well, Independence, Mo, Harry Truman's home town... just outside of KC.) I'm guessing outside running is good all year out there. :) It's 5 degrees outside right now. which is warmer than it was a couple days ago... we were in the negatives! Takes my breath away.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @Samquentin @Aztec4Life thanks for this! Am still a little sore but I did spin yesterday and scheduled for a spin class tomorrow morning. I may try to run for a few mins on the treadmill before spin or maybe Sunday before the barbell class my husband and I are taking. Will be interesting to see if I keep running, but right now would have to be at the gym - it’s way too cold in NC to be outdoors for any length of time :)
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »
    I made it back to the gym today and this is a brand new gym that just opened. Since I am recovering from pneumonia and my hip bursitis is flared I decided to just go on the treadmill. These machines are new to me so I selected a program and it had me doing intervals of walking and RUNNING. I couldn’t figure out how to modify the program so I RAN for the intervals which were anywhere from 1-2 mins each and I DIDN’T DIE!!

That said I figure it will get easier with more practice. Do you guys have tips on how to manage hip bursitis, plantar fasciitis and arthritic knees? Yes I sound like I am falling apart BUT I figure if I could manage running anywhere from 6-10 mins total this morning I may just give it a try. And truth be told I do have marathon envy when I see the comments and pics about the marathons you complete plus the calorie burn. Appreciate any insight! :)

Congratulations on interval training. You are stronger than you gave yourself credit for.

Some options for your hip bursitis, plantar fasciitis and arthritic knee. Get referrals from your Dr. to a sports medicine Dr. if possible.
    idsportsmed.com/

The one thing I wish I had started earlier is strengthening and stretching key muscle. Glutes, hip flexors, abductors and external rotators. My pain issues, I'm seeing a physical therapist this month. (long overdue) He is also a runner.

Welcome to the world of bariatric runners. We are here to support you in anyway we can.

Wishing you the best,
    Jennifer
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @fit_chickx Happy New Year! Thank you for your kind words and I will look into that as well! I have always worked out but I had runners envy but was always afraid to start and didn’t know how to. The treadmill at the new gym forced it. In fact, yesterday my husband and I went to the gym and walked out of a class because it was too crowded and this woman made a comment about how she had no room to do push-ups because of where I was but there was nowhere else to go.

We wound up on the treadmill and I did the same workout as I did the other day and I felt awesome. In fact, before spin class this morning I jumped on the treadmill for less time (20 mins) but same program and felt awesome. Physically I feel good just the hip bursitis is all that is bugging me now.

I am going to try to incorporate some sort of yoga class to help with stretches and flexibility. With this new gym there’s tons of options so trying to get a good all around workout - I had to give up my trainer because I couldn’t justify the cost to train 1x/week for 30 mins plus the cost of this gym - we joined Lifetime Fitness and it’s pricey but so far we really like it. Plus it’s a great way to get my family more active.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    @jcavanna2 Yoga has made a huge difference in my recovery and flexibility--I have some nagging hip, ankle, and lower back issues. I have regularly done Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown (cheap on Amazon) for a while now and just started DDP Yoga Now (less than $100 for a year). Both are annoying in their own way, but effective. I like the instruction and pacing of the DDP better, but JM makes me sweat and challenges me more physically--but I have many more DDP workouts to explore.

Keep it easy and as pain free as possible. Then add time...even just a minute per workout. You'll be flying in no time at all!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @Ultima_Morpha what is DDP? I will definitely keep things as pain free as possible. Right now the only pain I have is my bursitis in my hip which has been flared up for a couple of months so I think it’s a good sign. I think the treadmill interval I did for 35 mins had 8-10 mins of running which is huge for me. It starts with a good amount of walking then they gradually get you to a few one minute runs then two minute runs. Do you recommend any apps which would
    Track how many miles a minute I am
    Running?
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »
    @Ultima_Morpha what is DDP? I will definitely keep things as pain free as possible. Right now the only pain I have is my bursitis in my hip which has been flared up for a couple of months so I think it’s a good sign. I think the treadmill interval I did for 35 mins had 8-10 mins of running which is huge for me. It starts with a good amount of walking then they gradually get you to a few one minute runs then two minute runs. Do you recommend any apps which would
    Track how many miles a minute I am
    Running?

@jcavanna2

DDP = Diamond Dallas Page

I've used Map My Run and Strava for running outside. When I'm running a known route, I just keep time with my IPod. Everything goes into a spreadsheet so I can be a geek and make my own analysis on my own criteria.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @Ultima_Morpha I'm on Strava too. You can find me under my real name James Lacher. Do you have the premium membership? If so do you think it's worth the $?
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    @Ultima_Morpha I'm on Strava too. You can find me under my real name James Lacher. Do you have the premium membership? If so do you think it's worth the $?

I don't have the premium. The free version does what I need it to do and I'd rather spend the money on shoes. Lol.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I going to ask the delicate question here, which does not or may not apply to the men. What brand of sports bra do you use? I still have the girls 32DDD so a good support bra is very critical to me. I have a Wacoal and a Natori bra that I currently use for the gym which controls the bounce for a slow jog at 4mph. My preference is an underwire bra. I usually shop at Nordstrom's because I can return the bra if it doesn't fit my needs. Any advice is appreciated.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    loveshoe wrote: »
    I going to ask the delicate question here, which does not or may not apply to the men. What brand of sports bra do you use? I still have the girls 32DDD so a good support bra is very critical to me. I have a Wacoal and a Natori bra that I currently use for the gym which controls the bounce for a slow jog at 4mph. My preference is an underwire bra. I usually shop at Nordstrom's because I can return the bra if it doesn't fit my needs. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm absolutely no help...I went from a 46 DD to a 32 double nothing.
  • Samquentin
    Options
    @loveshoe I would totally suggest going to a bra shop. The current sports bra I have is Wacoal, which has an underwire, I wear a 34I.... this one holds the girls in position as I run. :) and as I continue to lose weight, the bra shop will continue to alter it for free, so it will continue to fit. I have this one https://m.wacoal-america.com/sport-underwire-bra-wacoal-855170-p.html I did have them alter it, so that is is worn with the underwire on the inside, (the fit is better this way, for me.)
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I started jogging around the track at my school’s gym one or two laps after my PE class, twice a week. I’m not out of breath for long, which is great. I never saw myself as a runner but maybe in a few more months!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @loveshoe I use a Wacoal underwire bra thT I got online at Athleta...performance underwire bra. I have every color
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Samquentin, I have that same style Wacoal bra. I have thought about wearing it reversed but have never tried. I did have one altered because I had just bought it and then lost more weight. I have jogged in front of a mirror to test the bounce and I asked a friend once to give me an honest opinion, she said I was fine. It's probably a self-conscious left over from being overweight.