Dealing with Guilt

Options
2»

Replies

• SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I just ate a lot of skittles and Starbursts. I will be bloated tomorrow for certain :(:s:/:|
  • cxwhit3
    cxwhit3 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I just ate a lot of skittles and Starbursts. I will be bloated tomorrow for certain :(:s:/:|

Did they at least taste good? The pecan roll I ate was way too sweet. I think my taster buds are resetting
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    cxwhit3 wrote: »

Did they at least taste good? The pecan roll I ate was way too sweet. I think my taster buds are resetting

Yes it was good but I realized it was anxiety eating....if that’s a thing. I have to redirect my nervousness. You probably are losing your desire to want to eat it...which is good.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My issue is that I hate wasting food. I was brought up to "clean my plate," and it bothers me to throw food away. Three days ago I got the last of the Christmas cookies out of the freezer and they have been like a magnet to me...I can't stop noshing....because I know how much work went into making them!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    My issue is that I hate wasting food. I was brought up to "clean my plate," and it bothers me to throw food away. Three days ago I got the last of the Christmas cookies out of the freezer and they have been like a magnet to me...I can't stop noshing....because I know how much work went into making them!

Can they be brought to work or extended family or given to friends or children’s teachers?
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Oh man I ate terribly today and some of the week. The good news is that I worked out a ton. But my weigh in isn’t going to be good :s
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Oh man I ate terribly today and some of the week. The good news is that I worked out a ton. But my weigh in isn’t going to be good :s

It's good you recognize what took place. Weigh-in this week and move on. It will fall off again eventually. Keep up the great work on your workouts!
  • cxwhit3
    Options

I feel the same. We had the “clean plate club” growing up. No dessert if you weren’t a member. My brother told me the other day - “remember that it goes to waste or it goes to waist”.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I don't think that I feel GUILTY about over-eating or losing control, but I feel ANGRY at myself. That is not any better, but it's just a different negative feeling.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    I don't think that I feel GUILTY about over-eating or losing control, but I feel ANGRY at myself. That is not any better, but it's just a different negative feeling.

Yes!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

I feel the same. We had the “clean plate club” growing up. No dessert if you weren’t a member. My brother told me the other day - “remember that it goes to waste or it goes to waist”.

LOVE THIS!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    leonadixon wrote: »
    spzjlb wrote: »

Yes!

Yes it is and I feel anger more often than I feel guilt. Example, last night I ate candy and fruit snacks.....only because I could. I wasn't even hungry. Was it a "diet buster"...no. It was two packs of Mott's fruit/veggie snacks and two bite size Milky Ways. Point is I am mad for not suppressing my subconscious mind telling me to "eat them because you can".
  • shamac35153
    shamac35153 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So confessions be true to yourself ....self awareness.....just the fact the your are actually paying attention to what you consume is a positive...feeling guilty for a small bad food choice can only make you think you have failed..log it and move on. Everyday I make a small bad food choice last night I had two glasses a wine (so technically two bad choices lol) I need to stay on track ......so next time I want that glass of wine I’m going to come here and log in to divert my cravings....also I promised myself when I started this journey I would allow myself one night a week for two glasses of wine.. So again I need to log it and move. Cheers to today making better choices than yesterday...
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    This thread is helping me tune into my own guilty feelings. I feel guilty all the time. But it’s like Mom-guilt, similar to generalized anxiety. Can anyone relate to this?
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    This thread is helping me tune into my own guilty feelings. I feel guilty all the time. But it’s like Mom-guilt, similar to generalized anxiety. Can anyone relate to this?

I don’t think I feel guilty BUT I can tell you I feel anxious ALL. THE. TIME. I get headaches before big events, or big decisions, or if something is going on with the children or in my marriage. I gave my first exam today and I couldn’t sleep last night and I told my husband that and he said probably because of the exam. Mind you, I wasn’t taking the exam....I was giving it. I’m working on getting better but I know it will take time.
  • cxwhit3
    Options

I don’t think I feel guilty BUT I can tell you I feel anxious ALL. THE. TIME. I get headaches before big events, or big decisions, or if something is going on with the children or in my marriage. I gave my first exam today and I couldn’t sleep last night and I told my husband that and he said probably because of the exam. Mind you, I wasn’t taking the exam....I was giving it. I’m working on getting better but I know it will take time.

I think it’s a result of giving up the habit of stress eating. Some new habit needs to fill the gap. I crochet. My daughter journals. At night after I climb in bed and turn out the light, if I can’t sleep, I pray the Rosary, which I find calming, but you could try any prayer or meditation that is part of your faith tradition. The longer, the better.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

I think it’s a result of giving up the habit of stress eating. Some new habit needs to fill the gap. I crochet. My daughter journals. At night after I climb in bed and turn out the light, if I can’t sleep, I pray the Rosary, which I find calming, but you could try any prayer or meditation that is part of your faith tradition. The longer, the better.

Praying is probably the BEST advice I’ve been given. Thank you!....you would think I would have thought of that but that’s why I’m here. For good advice :-))....when I miss the obvious solutions to things.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

The struggle is real. Anxiety either shuts me down completely or I’m scrambling for relief. I forget to be patient with myself in trying to get better. Try, try again...

I’m curious about your exam-giving - is this a new job?

Good thoughts. I appreciate these reminders to keep the better habits going. I’ve been stress eating for years, I might have to have more realistic expectations too that sometimes getting better will be two steps forward, one back. And a lot of failing and trying again.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

The struggle is real. Anxiety either shuts me down completely or I’m scrambling for relief. I forget to be patient with myself in trying to get better. Try, try again...

I’m curious about your exam-giving - is this a new job?

I am teaching at our community college here and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I am so grateful for the opportunity and I am putting my heart and soul into it and just giving it my all. I have always had a passion for education so this experience speaks to me. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.