Winter 2018 - Week 4 - I. Can't. Commit.

Options
Welcome to Week 4 ladies!

As we enter into completing one third of our journey, let's identify some things that we can help each other with. In this thread please post something you cannot seem to buckle down and commit to (but you want to commit to) and why you believe you can't commit to it. Respond to others' posts with your suggestions and healthy feedback. Use the following format if you find it helpful.

Something that I can't seem to commit to is...
I want to commit to it because....
The reason I feel I can't commit to it is because...

Replies

• KBurkhardt08
    KBurkhardt08 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Something I cant seem to commit to is being mindful of food over the weekend (I dont count calories on Saturday or Sunday). I want to commit to it because I know that eating like crap during the weekend can hinder my weight loss goals but at the same time I don't want to stall my life for weight loss. I know the first time I lost weight I was good all week and then on the weekend I went a little crazy...and it worked for a while but I'm thinking maybe it wont now because I'm older? With that in mind...I'm also not going as crazy like I did back then. (My weekend thing was to eat an entire box of brownies...which I dont do anymore. Haha.)
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I can’t commit to ... meal prep. Or cooking in general, really.

Why not ... lack of energy and motivation. There has been a lot going on in my personal life and I’m just so damn tired all the time.

I want to commit because ... I know it will make my life easier in the long run. Plus, since my stomach has been so iffy, I would prefer to eat “clean”er rather than making yet another frozen meal bag or can of soup.

I did buy ingredients and look up a few recipes yesterday though, so maybe this week is the week.
  • YAJ3507
    YAJ3507 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can’t commit to ... meal prep. Or cooking in general, really.

Why not ... lack of energy and motivation. There has been a lot going on in my personal life and I’m just so damn tired all the time.

I want to commit because ... I know it will make my life easier in the long run. Plus, since my stomach has been so iffy, I would prefer to eat “clean”er rather than making yet another frozen meal bag or can of soup.

I did buy ingredients and look up a few recipes yesterday though, so maybe this week is the week.

This is a tough one! I became a militant meal planner when I first moved to Chicago because my budget was so tight. I literally write down every meal I'm going to eat for the week and cook on the weekend so all I have to do is grab the food and heat it up. You will feel so good once you get into the habit! Eating at restaurants, etc. makes me feel so bloated.
  • bribucks
    Options
    jyoung3507 wrote: »

This is a tough one! I became a militant meal planner when I first moved to Chicago because my budget was so tight. I literally write down every meal I'm going to eat for the week and cook on the weekend so all I have to do is grab the food and heat it up. You will feel so good once you get into the habit! Eating at restaurants, etc. makes me feel so bloated.

Growing up, my mom had a calendar on the fridge with all the meals planned out. Yes, every dinner for the WHOLE month. So, it should be in my blood! :smiley: Normally I am very organized, but I just haven’t had the energy.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    jyoung3507 wrote: »

Growing up, my mom had a calendar on the fridge with all the meals planned out. Yes, every dinner for the WHOLE month. So, it should be in my blood! :smiley: Normally I am very organized, but I just haven’t had the energy.

What’s your mom’s number???? #organizationgoals :smiley:
  • bribucks
    edited January 2018
    Options
    She also organized grocery lists by where things were in the store. Had different templates saved on the computer for different stores. And just printed & put check marks next to what she needed to buy that week! :p
  • cxwhit3
    cxwhit3 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    She also organized grocery lists by where things were in the store. Had different templates saved on the computer for different stores. And just printed & put check marks next to what she needed to buy that week! :p

My daughter does that but it seems to have skipped a generation. I can’t tell you how many times I have come home from the grocery store, looked at my list and said “ well damn, where’s the ———-?!” For quite a while I tried cooking quite large meals and freezing the leftovers in single serve containers for for husband to take for lunch. In just a few days I would have several days worth of lunches/dinners stacked up and I could take a few days off from cooking if I wanted. I tried to do mostly recipes that were oven cooked or in my crockpot so that even making large meals I wasn’t spending hours. The most helpful thing for me right now is spending a little more and splurging on pre-prepped produce like bagged salad (I hate cutting lettuce), baby carrots and grape tomatoes. Love the prepared grapefruit cups too.
  • mebelfanti
    mebelfanti Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Something I cant seem to commit to is being mindful of food over the weekend (I dont count calories on Saturday or Sunday). I want to commit to it because I know that eating like crap during the weekend can hinder my weight loss goals but at the same time I don't want to stall my life for weight loss. I know the first time I lost weight I was good all week and then on the weekend I went a little crazy...and it worked for a while but I'm thinking maybe it wont now because I'm older? With that in mind...I'm also not going as crazy like I did back then. (My weekend thing was to eat an entire box of brownies...which I dont do anymore. Haha.)

I do this too! It worked really well for a while in the beginning but I've been thinking lately that maybe I should reign it in on the weekends. I really love the freedom of not having to track and think so much about food for a few days, and even though I make decent food choices on the weekends, I know I can do better. But like you said, I don't want to stall my life for weight loss. If I go out for brunch I don't want to ALWAYS HAVE to get the healthiest option. But I also really want to hit my goals and lose the weight so I need to get better at finding a balance.

Maybe just Saturday can be my "free" day and I'll track Sunday. Or if I eat out I can order what I want (within reason) but when I eat at home it has to be healthy. Idk, just thinking out loud here. But yeah, the moral of the story is that I can't commit fully to is eating healthy on the weekends :neutral:
  • YAJ3507
    Options

I DEFINITELY DO THIS!!! LOL!!!! But I use an app on my phone.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Something that I can't seem to commit to is...Eating consistently ALL DAY. I start out really well, meal plan for breakfast and lunch, snacks, etc.
    I want to commit to it because....I can succeed in this journey if I could just control myself with portions at home!
    The reason I feel I can't commit to it is because...Come dinner time at home, I am easily influenced to cave to cravings and food that is not a good choice. I cave too easily to cravings and temptation at home. I cannot seem to only have a small portion either. I eat too much of the caloric choice, then wind up regretting my entire day, then splurging even more. I really cannot seem to get a grip on this and it's what is messing me up.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good about batch cooking and planning. Sometimes I don't plan which I find myself eating out more and spending more. But I won't lie in that it requires planning to cook in the weekend so I need to be mindful of my weekend plans.

@leonadixon ... I feel you. What kind of foods do you end up eating? If I make sure I have carbs, protein and fat at each meal, my cravings reduce a lot. Stress and make us crave foods and over eat too. So can not getting enough sleep. If I have sugary or high fat breakfast, I kid you not it screws up my eating all day. Such as a Starbucks sausage sandwich, cereal, pastries, donuts, instant oatmeal with sugar, etc. Lately I've been making a smoothie in the morning and having a homemade chicken sausage patty on the side or beans. I'm good and feel full until I'm ready for a snack or lunch.
  • leonadixon
    Options
    @spdaphne- A huge mistake that occurs frequently in my home is pizza (delivery). My husband and I LOVE it. And I would not even feel bad about it if I only had one slice. I have the calories for that every time. But no, I don't stop at one slice. I stop at 3 (quite honestly, it used to be worse, so I guess I should give myself a little credit. We used to finish an entire large pizza together). I simply don't have 1000 calories by that time of day. I KNOW I can work it in my calories for one slice, I just seem to have no self control. Stress is a large part of my life, but I feel like it's just become an excuse these days. I think I eat really well during the day. Just lose self control in the evenings. Any recommendations in this department are seriously welcome!
  • YAJ3507
    Options
    @leonadixon I feel ya! That is a hard habit to break, especially when you're not the only one making decisions. Would your husband be willing to give up the pizza delivery? I can only overcome nighttime foraging by not ordering take out and not keeping tempting foods in the house. If I'm hungry, actually hungry, I'll grab a small handful of salty almonds and that usually curbs my appetite. Or I'll eat a portion controlled serving of something (like a fun size candy bar or snack pack of crackers). Is that doable?
  • bribucks
    Options
    leonadixon wrote: »
    @spdaphne- A huge mistake that occurs frequently in my home is pizza (delivery). My husband and I LOVE it. And I would not even feel bad about it if I only had one slice. I have the calories for that every time. But no, I don't stop at one slice. I stop at 3 (quite honestly, it used to be worse, so I guess I should give myself a little credit. We used to finish an entire large pizza together). I simply don't have 1000 calories by that time of day. I KNOW I can work it in my calories for one slice, I just seem to have no self control. Stress is a large part of my life, but I feel like it's just become an excuse these days. I think I eat really well during the day. Just lose self control in the evenings. Any recommendations in this department are seriously welcome!

Instead of ordering a big pizza, can you order a personal pan size?
  • leonadixon
    Options
    leonadixon wrote: »

Instead of ordering a big pizza, can you order a personal pan size?

That's really a great idea @Brianneangell08!

@iyoung3507-I keep trying something like that, but if it's in the house, I eat it. So, snack size or no, I wind up eating more than one, or two, etc. So my solution to that is to not keep it in the house. My husband IS my weakness LOL! He says yes, he will help me. And at the slightest inclination from me expressing any desire, he's right there to give me anything I think I want! He's wonderful and terrible at the same time! We are newlyweds, so we are still working out how to tell me no :wink:

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Related to this stream of thought and back to the OP, I’m a great meal planner. I love to cook, have a background in nutrition but am very aware that
    I originally became overweight because I ate TOO MUCH healthy food.

Something that I can't seem to commit to is...stopping my after work foraging. As soon as I get home, I will grab a few cashews or walnuts. Healthy, but I nearly always wind up eating far too many.

I want to commit to it because....Several small handfuls are many hundreds of calories and can put me over my limit very quickly.

The reason I feel I can't commit to it is because... I think many reasons: habit, end of day relief to be home, sometimes I am famished.

Possible solutions... putting out a bowl of veggies (I buy baby carrots so there’s no effort at all), have a cup of tea as I make supper, eat a more substantial lunch or good snack before I leave work so I’m not hungry; I will always keep the nuts in the house for my family (it’s a good snack if you do not go overboard like me). Thanks for this “assignment” because typing in my ideas might concretize them for me and I’ll do them more often!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Something that I can't seem to commit to is...drinking water daily

I want to commit to it because....hydration is important for so many reasons. I few weeks ago I had the WORST case of SEVERE chapped lips. I had to go to the after care clinic to get seen. The dr said I was dehydrated. My lips are better but they still constantly peel and crack and no balm works. I do have Eminence Lip Balm (I put it on at night but not every night...I need to though) and Sara Happ gloss (I use that during the day) they both kind of work.

The reason I feel I can't commit to it is because...most of the time I am literally not thirsty. I can go about 2-3 days with nothing but coffee and a protein shake/drink...as far as liquid goes. Then I get hit was thirst and drink water all day and repeat the cycle of skipping days over and over. I tried having a big cup with the ounces on the side and refilling it throughout the day...I forget though. I've tried water cold and room temperature. I tried just drinking the bottles but I forget to go grab another one when I am finished. Today, for example, I had tea with my breakfast and I had coffee after lunch and that is all I have had as far as beverages. Nothing has worked. Suggestions PLEASE :(
  • bribucks
    Options

I want to commit to it because....hydration is important for so many reasons. I few weeks ago I had the WORST case of SEVERE chapped lips. I had to go to the after care clinic to get seen. The dr said I was dehydrated. My lips are better but they still constantly peel and crack and no balm works. I do have Eminence Lip Balm (I put it on at night but not every night...I need to though) and Sara Happ gloss (I use that during the day) they both kind of work.

The reason I feel I can't commit to it is because...most of the time I am literally not thirsty. I can go about 2-3 days with nothing but coffee and a protein shake/drink...as far as liquid goes. Then I get hit was thirst and drink water all day and repeat the cycle of skipping days over and over. I tried having a big cup with the ounces on the side and refilling it throughout the day...I forget though. I've tried water cold and room temperature. I tried just drinking the bottles but I forget to go grab another one when I am finished. Today, for example, I had tea with my breakfast and I had coffee after lunch and that is all I have had as far as beverages. Nothing has worked. Suggestions PLEASE :(

Set timers on your phone for “drink time!”
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I can't commit to... closing my "eating window" at 8:00pm.

I want to commit to it because... then I plan meals better and eat more during the day, rather than undereat to save calories for late night snacks. Also better sleep; a happier tummy.

The reason I can't commit to it is because... I'm totally comforting myself with food in the evenings. Snacking at night is an old ingrained habit and the discipline to handle myself better comes and goes... this is one area where my discipline has sucked lately.

• Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

At the gym and in the car I'm happy to chug out of those 20-oz Blender Bottles, but once I'm home I get very bored with the water thing. So I started keeping a full glass of water on the kitchen countertop. If I go into the kitchen, there's my water waiting for me. Chug, refill, and leave it out again. The next time I wander through, there's the water, all ready for me. I'm trying this with a cup in the bathroom now too.
This discussion has been closed.