What have you made in your pressure cooker?

Options

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I have two recipes for you to try in your pressure cooker. Both were so good. The first is a Chicken Biryani. https://twosleevers.com/2017/03/pressure-cooker-chicken-biryani/ It was so spicy good. It had some heat just using 1 jalapeno. But so much of the flavor comes from the whole spices. I will definitely make this again.

The second recipe was Crispy Chicken for a Banh Mi Bowl. It was amazing! I even saved the leftover braising liquid. I had to substitute equal parts lemon zest and ginger for the lemongrass. I will try it with lemongrass when I find it but it was so good with the lemon and ginger. This dish would be great for meal prep. The chicken would be great on salad, wraps, sandwiches, just anything. Will keep making this one over and over. littlespicejar.com/chicken-banh-mi-bowls/

Oh my goodness. One of the first things I made in my IP were these Crispy Chicken Banh Mi Bowls and wow were they amazing. Everyone who tried them thought the same. This is definitely something we will continue to make again and again. Thanks for the share!

So glad you liked it too. They really are amazing!
  • dklibert
    Options
    After the banh mi bowls were such a hit I took a look around littlespicejar.com and found a few other recipes that were great as well. This http://littlespicejar.com/irresistible-instant-pot-beef-stew/ beef stew was very tasty! Served it with some mashed potatoes as suggested and it was excellent. Although it would be just as good without too.

The crispy chicken carnitas were very tasty as well. http://littlespicejar.com/crispy-chicken-carnitas/ I reserved the cooking liquid and used that as the base for rice that I served with it. Also did spicy black refried beans from her website too.

I will have to try these too. The carnitas have been on my to do list for awhile. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • dklibert
    Options
    I am a big fan of "mystery stew". Basically take stewing beef brown in the instant pot with a bit of olive oil. Add "spaghetti veggies" from arctic garden (frozen blend of onions, celery, peppers and carrots). Add cut up potatoes a can of Guinness beer and a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes.Then comes the mystery. I add a bag of stir fry veggies (whatever I have had the longest that needs to be used up). Put it on the stew setting on my instant pot and thicken it on saute when it is done (I use gluccomannan but feel free to use whatever thickener you want).

Tonight's version was chicken instead of beef, cook the chicken on saute, add 2 cans of campbells mushroom soup with one box of chicken broth. Add parsley, basil and ground thyme to the soups and throw it all into the instant pot (I mix the soups in a metal bowl).. Cut up potatoes and throw the spaghetti veggies and stir fry veggies on top (you could also use a blend of carrots/green and yellow beans or whatever veggies you want). Cook on chicken setting. I made dumplings to throw on top tonight which were a big hit. Just turn it on saute till it is bubbling, drop in your dumpling batter and then cancel and hit keep warm. Cover with a non-pressure pot lid and let the dumplings cook about 20 minutes. Once the dumplings are done thicken the stew however you want.

They both sound so good! The chicken is a great idea. Thanks!
  • dklibert
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Last night I made the most fluffiest, perfect millet in my IP.
    1:1 washed millet / water ratio on rice setting and natural release. When done I stirred in handful of cilantro and chopped up tomato. Heaven with my roasted trout.

That sounds amazing!
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @crazyravr would you mind sharing your goat curry recipe?
  • strongerbytheday
    Options
    Thank you @crazyravr I will be making this once I get out to the specialty store, that carries goat! Do you know if meat masala spice, is the same as garam masala?
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,971 Member
    Options
    dozen eggs for the week went in on sunday. I started using the instant pot for eggs only due to convenience and perfect timing. Not having to watch the clock to get the perfectly cooked but still gooey yolk wasnt always easy. Now it is.
    High pressure, 3 minutes, quick release and immediate dump into cold water. Perfect every time, no matter how many eggs you put in there.

Sorry dumb question, you put a cup of water in the instant pot, right :)
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    This weekend I made homemade refried beans and barbacoa beef. Amazing!

The beans were stupid easy. I wish I knew how easy as I would have tried it long ago.

1lb dried pinto beans (rinsed, not soaked)
    6 cups water
    1 jalapeno, cut in half, seeded
    1 red onion, cut in half
    6 cloves garlic
    2 tblsp vinegar
    Salt

50 minutes in instant pot, natural release. When done, I kept the liquid from the beans and then pureed them in the food processor to the consistency I liked. Added more spices to tasted, then fried them in a little bacon grease. Yum. Had to freeze 90% of them as I don't eat that many beans.

Beef barbacoa

1 beef roast (cut into 2-3 inch chunks)
    1 small can chipotle chili peppers
    1 small can beef broth
    half jar roasted tomatillo/chipotle hot salsa
    1 onion
    6 cloves garlic
    1 jalapeno
    spices (cloves/cumin/salt/pepper)
    1 juiced lime
    threw in a handful of cherry tomatos (chopped) that I needed to use up as they were getting old

90 minutes, quick release. Took out beef, shredded it, let sauce reduce in instant pot by 3/4, threw beef back in.

Yum!!!

• strongerbytheday
    Options
    I made this tonight for dinner and it was amazing! https://www.skinnytaste.com/instant-pot-pork-carnitas-mexican/
  • madwells1
    Options
    Chicken tikka/butter chicken tonight

1.5 inch chopped fresh ginger
    1/2 chopped red onion
    4 cloves chopped garlic
    4 deboned, skinned chicken thighs cut in chunks (saved bones for future broth)
    1 cup chopped cilantro
    1 jalepeno chopped
    1 small can tomato sauce
    3/4 to 1 cup yogurt (threw in what I had left)
    salt
    garam masala to taste

high pressure, 10 minutes. quick release.
  • madwells1
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Creamy broccoli cauliflower soup

1/2 chopped onion
    4 cloves chopped garlic
    1 small head cauliflower
    1 small head broccoli florets
    homemade chicken bone broth (3/4 way up to top of vegetables)
    Bay leaf
    Salt and pepper to taste

Saute onions/garlic, throw in broccoli, cauliflower, salt, broth, throw in salt/pepper

High pressure 5 minutes, quick release. Remove bay leaf.

Use immersion blender to get to the consistency you want, mix in yogurt, blend. Season to taste if needed.
    Top with sriracha (my drug of choice) and dollop of yogurt (if you feel daring).

47jevg26yqr6.jpg

• dklibert
    Options
    Oh yum!!! That looks so good! Thanks so much.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »

1/2 chopped onion
    4 cloves chopped garlic
    1 small head cauliflower
    Bay leaf
    Salt and pepper to taste

Saute onions/garlic, throw in broccoli, cauliflower, salt, broth, throw in salt/pepper

Use immersion blender to get to the consistency you want, mix in yogurt, blend. Season to taste if needed.
    Top with sriracha (my drug of choice) and dollop of yogurt (if you feel daring).

47jevg26yqr6.jpg

I'll try that if I ever find broccoli and cauliflower at a reasonable price at the same time... lol.
  • madwells1
    Options
    I know right?

I went to get more cauliflower last night (usually try to get it at Aldi as it's only $1.50) and the regular grocer had it on sale for $5.99. Kills me!!!

Sorry for the off post, just annoyed me so your comment was fitting!

• Francl27
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

1/2 chopped onion
    4 cloves chopped garlic
    1 small head cauliflower
    Bay leaf
    Salt and pepper to taste

47jevg26yqr6.jpg

I'll try that if I ever find broccoli and cauliflower at a reasonable price at the same time... lol.

Use frozen. Perfect for this kind of a thing.

I usually do, but it affects the cooking time a lot.
  • Francl27
    Options

1/2 chopped onion
    4 cloves chopped garlic
    1 small head cauliflower
    Bay leaf
    Salt and pepper to taste

47jevg26yqr6.jpg

Use frozen. Perfect for this kind of a thing.

I usually do, but it affects the cooking time a lot.

In this case it will not. All veggies will turn to mush at 5 minutes HP.

I know, that's what worries me. I know it's soup, but still, overcooked veggies don't taste great. I'm guessing that changing the time to 1 minute would not make it as tasty though.
  • madwells1
    Options
    I'm making bone broth right now.

Made oxtail stew (korean) two days ago, another corned beef four days ago. Korean chicken last night (again due to the vast amounts of chili powder I have, and did a pot of great northern beans at some point during the past week.

Mine's definitely not broken :D
  • Francl27
    Options
    So....... is everyone's IP broke or what?? lol :)

Just been doing mashed potatoes and stew. Got to make some corned beef soon though.
  • madwells1
    Options

Just been doing mashed potatoes and stew. Got to make some corned beef soon though.

I have totally been on a corned beef kick the past few weeks as it has been on sale! I want to try to make pastrami with the corned beef (bought another one and is in the freezer), but don't have a smoker.

Anyone ever try making their own pastrami without a smoker? Would liquid smoke and putting it in the oven after the IP work?
  • madwells1
    Options
    Chicken tikka. Major fail though.

I make this all the time and it is always perfect, but this time I got tied up in a few things and forgot it was finished and left it in the instant pot too long. Major sadness because when I finally opened it up (think over an hour after it was done), the chicken was so dry!

I have now shredded it, and am making a deconstructed chicken tikka samosa casserole (in the oven). Let's see how this turns out!

Note to self, remember when you cook to pay attention.....