TEAM: Gutbusters (February)

Options

Replies

• sandflower81
    sandflower81 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone! Sorry I missed the FINAL weigh in of Jan.. it was such a crazy week. I only lost 6 pounds last month... it was a little discouraging.

I work out almost every day.. and track my food so I thought for sure it would be an easy 10...

This month has gotten off to a SLOW START! I need to do an inner reset so I can push through on my goals. I would love to lose another 6 this month....

How are you staying motivated now that we are 40-something days into 2018? What do you do to stay up with eating right and exercise?
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    February 10
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 3km in 25 mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Slower and short walk today.

Spent most of the day upgrading and fixing quads. Practice day on 11th and wanted everything to work.

Very late night. My soldering skills are average at best. Soldering and testing tiny components is surprisingly difficult.

February 11
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 6km in 46 mins (hills).

Post dinner walk. Had already walked 5000 steps for the day before walking 6km.

Practice day at local club. Everything upgraded and flyable. My flying is improving, but still a long way to go.

Biggest success of the day was before flying. Managed to de-solder three erroneously cross-soldered pins inside 1.5mm (1/16 inch) space to get a quad flying. Was not sure I could do it when I started, but managed to. Feels great when you attempt something outside your limits and succeed.

Daily Strength challenge

"Challenge for February 11 is squats (no weight - air squat - http://www.12minuteathlete.com/how-to-do-a-proper-air-squat/).
    You can do assisted squats (using a table or bench top to take weight off the knees if it is too much)."

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • GoBlue1981
    GoBlue1981 Posts: 358 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @sandflower81 for me motivation is fickle, it comes and goes. I’ve been at this since July of last year so January/2018 are sort of meaningless milestones for me not having New Years resolutions or anything. In general, to stay on track, I do this. I come here everyday and remind myself that others are succeeding, and struggling and sticking it out despite their struggles or despite being busy or traveling or whatever little thing I might be going through that day/week/month. Someone else has gone through it and succeeded anyway. Someone else is struggling and still showing up. That helps hold me accountable when my motivation wanes (as it always does) on the bright side it always comes back! The best part of staying here and just trudging and tracking through the lows of my motivation is that I tend not to gain back everything I lost and more like I did when my motivation waned before and I stopped tracking gave up and threw in the towel and decided this was impossible for me. So all that being said, for me it’s a decision, everyday. To show up whether I feel like it or not.
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    @sandflower81 I'm getting married in September so that's the best motivation ever! But besides that I 100% agree with @goblue1981 - being part of a supportive team like this one, seeing others successes and challenges, realising I'm not alone in this journey. It makes me accountable when I have a gain or a plateau and keeps me moving forward.

I'm also always seeking out tv shows, films and podcasts that explore health, diet, fitness etc. I enjoy exploring the myths and dangerous fads as much as the useful scientific advice, as it makes me realise I do know how to look after myself and an instant/easy fix is always too good to be true!
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Hi there everyone! Sorry I missed the FINAL weigh in of Jan.. it was such a crazy week. I only lost 6 pounds last month... it was a little discouraging.

I work out almost every day.. and track my food so I thought for sure it would be an easy 10...

This month has gotten off to a SLOW START! I need to do an inner reset so I can push through on my goals. I would love to lose another 6 this month....

How are you staying motivated now that we are 40-something days into 2018? What do you do to stay up with eating right and exercise?

@sandflower81. 6 lbs in a month is good! Do not belittle this accomplishment.

6lbs equates to a 21,000 calorie deficit for the month (or 168 calories per day). Or like walking an extra mile each day and not eating it back.

More than 80% of weight loss is down to what you eat. Round 20% is exercise. On a normal day you will burn more than 80% of your calories just keeping the body warm, the brain working, the heart beating and the lungs breathing.

Building lean muscle helps increase this non-exercise calorie burn.

I am proof of this. As a 145lbs 49yo male, I eat round 2000 kCal per day just to STAY 145lbs and not lose more. This is MORE than I ate when at 196lbs.

The main differences between 196lbs me and 145lbs me are:
    • A protein rich diet (low wheat/gluten)
    • Few snacks or calorie beverages (more water - bigger meals work better for me)
    • Regular activity (usually walking & moderate bodyweight exercise (no gym :) )).

The regular activity and bodyweight exercises increased my lean muscle mass. Hence the need for more calories per day to maintain.

Note, with all the changes I can still have treats (and regular ice-cream and pavlova :) ), go to social occasions or eat what I want. I have food preferences, not restrictions. I now prefer not to have bread (or bread products), but can have them if I need to.

@sandflower81. Keep working at it and hopefully another 6 lbs will go this month.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    GoBlue1981 wrote: »
    @sandflower81 for me motivation is fickle, it comes and goes. I’ve been at this since July of last year so January/2018 are sort of meaningless milestones for me not having New Years resolutions or anything. In general, to stay on track, I do this. I come here everyday and remind myself that others are succeeding, and struggling and sticking it out despite their struggles or despite being busy or traveling or whatever little thing I might be going through that day/week/month. Someone else has gone through it and succeeded anyway. Someone else is struggling and still showing up. That helps hold me accountable when my motivation wanes (as it always does) on the bright side it always comes back! The best part of staying here and just trudging and tracking through the lows of my motivation is that I tend not to gain back everything I lost and more like I did when my motivation waned before and I stopped tracking gave up and threw in the towel and decided this was impossible for me. So all that being said, for me it’s a decision, everyday. To show up whether I feel like it or not.

@GoBlue1981. This is perfect.

It's just one day after another. No heroic efforts. No resolutions. No glory.

As long as you make the daily "grind" not too much effort (done by shaping habits). Weight management becomes almost automatic.

The habit of tracking, keeps me focused on eating correctly. If I eat correctly, I maintain weight. Daily activity helps keep mind and body functioning so I still want to do things, and I am able to do what I want.

No magic. Just habit. Just keep turning up.

btw, this is my 90 days weight graph (I am in maintenance and at 65kg I am round 9% body fat - do not want to go lower than this).

od4jxtj87isc.png
  • emmclean
    Options
    February 11
    Exercised?: Yes, 10.10km run
    Calories: Yes

Hadn't planned on doing a 10k, first 3k were tough but I wanted to push to 8k today as I had really good conditions - around 6 celsius but sunny skies. Next thing I knew I had a burst of energy around 7k and came in 5 minutes under my 10k PB from 3 years ago, woo! Decided to leave the 30 Day Shred today, Jillian can wait after that :)
  • GoBlue1981
    Options
    @emmclean this is great news, much better than when you were struggling with unexpected illness in the middle of your long runs last month! (Or the month before...it’s a blur) Glad you’re making so much progress!
  • TypingToaster
    TypingToaster Posts: 4,110 Member
    Options
    February 10
    Exercised?: Yes. Tae Bo and Cleaning

February 11
    Exercised?: Yes. Tae Bo and cleaning
  • jenjournaljunkie
    jenjournaljunkie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Last week 185.9
    This week 184.
    Sorry for the late entry lots going on. Was keeping track until the past couple of daysm. Will start again Monday
  • brunchowl
    brunchowl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Name: brunchowl
    Weigh in day: Monday
    February week 2
    Last week: 198.8
    Today: 194.6
  • craigo3154
    Options
    February 12
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 6km in 46 mins (hills).

Post dinner walk again.

Work day.

Not much else to add.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for February 12 is sit-ups or crunches (abs day - be sure to use a mat or towel for cushioning - )

2 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)

The reason for only 2 sets for this exercise is that it ideally should be balanced with back strengthening exercises (which plank variants provide).
  • alydanbeads
    alydanbeads Posts: 120 Member
    Options
  • smc92079
    smc92079 Posts: 219 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Username: smc92079
    Weigh in week: February week 2
    Previous weight: 197.6
    Current weight: 197.6

Patting myself on the back for weighing in on time this week. Finally!
  • GoBlue1981
    Options
    Sorry @alydanbeads I didn’t update my spreadsheet this week! You’re moved in the official tracker!
  • alydanbeads
    alydanbeads Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    GoBlue1981 wrote: »
    Sorry @alydanbeads I didn’t update my spreadsheet this week! You’re moved in the official tracker!

Thank you!! :)
  • gatorbob353
    gatorbob353 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Username: gatorbob353
    Weigh in week: February week 2
    Previous weight: 245.7
    Current weight: 243.8
  • emmclean
    Options