Shiritaki "miracle", "smart" "konjac" noodles, who loves them?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    @Sabine_Stroehm What brand is the tufo one? I've not seen it here in the UK but I may be able to get it online. thanks

I buy House Foods brand. That's the brand of regular tofu we use, and the brand of regular shirataki noodles I prefer as well. Kroger/Smiths sells House Brand, as does out favorite asian market.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Where do you find these at in the grocery store?

In Kroger/Smiths and in Walmart, they are in the tofu section, near the refrigerated dressings, next to salad stuff and vegetables. In the asian market they are back with the fresh ramens and the tofus.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions @Sabine_Stroehm. As much as I recognize the benefit of "low reward foods" for myself (a Guyenet term, I think) I also recognize the benefits of variety (for me) for long term compliance. I also like to experiment with different foods and to a degree, different diets (macro allocations).

I have looked for these in different stores to give them a try. It is clear I was looking in the wrong food section!

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Miracle Rice. I do pan fry them first, but I generally use them either to add some bulk to what I fix in the crock pot (generally just meat, fat and seasonings) or in making a homemade soup to add some bulk (with broth, meat and seasonings).

For me, I am still (after 2 years of LC and 18 months of keto) trying to get so I don't feel like I have to eat such a large volume of food. Prior to changing to this WOE, eating a full large pizza plus desert was normal for me.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    This reminds me I have some I need to eat for dinner tonight. I get mine through Amazon since you get a variety plus some miracle rice as well. Definitely follow the instructions on the package (rinse thoroughly, boil and rinse, then pan fry with some kind of sauce). I use them more for stir fry and fettuccine types sauces since they don't seem right to me with marinara. I don't mind the texture and like Tofu they absorb flavor so you can make them taste how every you want based on the cooking method and sauce.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    xerogs1 wrote: »
    This reminds me I have some I need to eat for dinner tonight. I get mine through Amazon since you get a variety plus some miracle rice as well. Definitely follow the instructions on the package (rinse thoroughly, boil and rinse, then pan fry with some kind of sauce). I use them more for stir fry and fettuccine types sauces since they don't seem right to me with marinara. I don't mind the texture and like Tofu they absorb flavor so you can make them taste how every you want based on the cooking method and sauce.

How do the amazon ones packaged?
  • Xerogs
    Options

They package them well in a small box. The ones I get are 6 to a box and come with rice, angel hair, and fettuccine noodles.

• julieb47
    julieb47 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Shirktaki noodles. Cottage cheese. Can’t abide either if them. The very thought.............
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    julieb47 wrote: »
    Shirktaki noodles. Cottage cheese. Can’t abide either if them. The very thought.............

Ooow...and I like my shiritaki noodles with marinara or tomato/meat sauce and dry cottage cheese for extra protein - top with a grating of real parmesan and you have lazy mock lasagna.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    xerogs1 wrote: »

They package them well in a small box. The ones I get are 6 to a box and come with rice, angel hair, and fettuccine noodles.
    with something...cold?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    julieb47 wrote: »

I'm not particularly low carb and I love both! It really IS an individual thing, isn't it?
  • TheMerryMermaid
    TheMerryMermaid Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Thrive brand this week from Thrive Market (online). I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, cuz I had no idea how to fix them.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have a package of pasta zero in the fridge. The package is about 2.5 servings.. do you portion it out or eat it all? I'm still planning what I'll do with it. I'm the sole low carber in the house.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Yup, very filling! I use them, though find them a bit bland. The sauce is the key. Shirataki is made from the konjac root, and it is the same stuff as in those glucomannan weightloss supplements, which I tried once and found to be not good for my gut... left me bloated. But the noodles don't do that--find it hard to overeat them. I have seen them sold here in Japan in "ramen" sets with sauce, at 3x the price of plain.

Found an interesting study:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3892933/

The mechanisms that mediate the weight reduction effects of glucomannan are thought to be similar to those of other water-soluble, fermentable fibers. With its low energy density and bulking properties, glucomannan seems to promote weight loss by displacing the energy of other nutrients and producing satiety and satiation as it absorbs water and expands in the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, glucomannan seems to reduce total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels by stimulating fecal excretion of cholesterol and bile acids and decreasing intestinal absorption of cholesterol [7–9]. Also, glucomannan may improve glycemic parameters by inhibiting appetite and slowing intestinal absorption due to increased viscosity [10–13]. Glucomannan is generally well tolerated and has a favorable safety profile.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I have a package of pasta zero in the fridge. The package is about 2.5 servings.. do you portion it out or eat it all? I'm still planning what I'll do with it. I'm the sole low carber in the house.

Here in Canada the tofu or konjac packages contain 2 4oz servings so it's really easy to have two separate kinds of meals on two nights - just eat half a packet, Italian style one meal, then Asian meal next. If it doesn't feel like enough food, I'd add real food with nutrients like more protein or a few more veggies.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I get the “better than xxxxx” brand. Fill in xxxxx with pasta, rice or noodle. They travel well and are super easy to cook. They are not as off putting (stinky) as other brands I’ve tried. I like to use the rice one as a side dish sometimes. That handsome man I married says they are weird but not terrible. Lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    Yup, very filling! I use them, though find them a bit bland. The sauce is the key. Shirataki is made from the konjac root, and it is the same stuff as in those glucomannan weightloss supplements, which I tried once and found to be not good for my gut... left me bloated. But the noodles don't do that--find it hard to overeat them. I have seen them sold here in Japan in "ramen" sets with sauce, at 3x the price of plain.

Found an interesting study:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3892933/

The mechanisms that mediate the weight reduction effects of glucomannan are thought to be similar to those of other water-soluble, fermentable fibers. With its low energy density and bulking properties, glucomannan seems to promote weight loss by displacing the energy of other nutrients and producing satiety and satiation as it absorbs water and expands in the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, glucomannan seems to reduce total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels by stimulating fecal excretion of cholesterol and bile acids and decreasing intestinal absorption of cholesterol [7–9]. Also, glucomannan may improve glycemic parameters by inhibiting appetite and slowing intestinal absorption due to increased viscosity [10–13]. Glucomannan is generally well tolerated and has a favorable safety profile.
    Our asian market has pre-made shirataki ramen meals too. Tasty, but highly processed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    One other LAZY thing I do: I get the indian sauce two pack from Costco and stir fry the noodles, with veggies, tofu and one of the sauces. Too high in carbs for many on here, but might fit for some. (Higher in sugar than I usually eat, but like I said: for lazy days.)

http://www.mayakaimal.com/refrigerated#.WpAZpGaZPGI
  • Xerogs
    Options
    with something...cold?

Oh sorry. No they don't come cold packed. I don't think they need to be refrigerated until after they are cooked.