Keto, insulin and inflammation question

Options
rfrenkel77
rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
edited March 2018 in Social Groups
Hi folks, so I have been keto for a year since the talking heads convinced me that high insulin is the cause of arterial inflammation which is causing calcification. Today I come across an insulin index chart “https://i0.wp.com/optimisingnutrition.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/food-insulin-index-for-all-foods-tested.png
Which tells me that beefsteak is same ballpark as apple and oatmeal. So why have I eliminated Apple and oatmeal from my diet if these items don’t drive insulin thru the roof? Can someone splain the logic to me. Can someone with a keton meter eat an apple vs steak and tell me that their ketones dropped. Thanks.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Interesting. That Snickers Bar is right there around the beef steak. Maybe "beef steak" is reference to the brand that comes in a box named "Beef Steak" versus a ribeye? I've never jumped on the "insulin thing". I just stay away from added sugar as in pastries and candy. I had an apple yesterday and stayed under my 50 total carbs for the day. I don't monitor BG.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My inflammation body wide dropped like a rock when I started keeping my carbs <50 grams daily is all that I know. My struggles with weight regains for 40 years have be gone for 3 years now on LCHF because I stopped even having a desire to binge on high carb/high fat foods.

It seems like insulin concerns are of NO concern as long as I am keto/lchf macros wise.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Being insulin resistant, I’ve been on keto and 20:4 IF, which seems to be the only combatant angainst my resistance. All foods cause a rise in insulin, including protein. The only thing that doesn’t is fat, which is why I eat as much fat as possible.
  • rfrenkel77
    Options
    The action of insulin on protein is entirely different than the action of insulin on glucose.
    Glycation, is the problem with arterial damage and the action of insulin storing excess glucose as triglyceride.
    Insulin being put to use on amino acids is productive. Not storage.

You saying insulin rise from the steak protein is less inflammatory then identical insulin rise from oatmeal because of carb presence? Interesting. I’ll look into this. Post links please if you already have them bookmarked.

I found that the index chart was generated off https://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/handle/2123/11945
    Check 2nd pdf, it has all the tested foods, and “beef streak” is not a brand name, but a real grilled Australian steak.
  • rfrenkel77
    Options
    Being insulin resistant, I’ve been on keto and 20:4 IF, which seems to be the only combatant angainst my resistance. All foods cause a rise in insulin, including protein. The only thing that doesn’t is fat, which is why I eat as much fat as possible.

I’m not insulin resistant, but have Artery calcification, which is counter diagnosis to dr Krafts proclamation that all heart disease is IR undiagnosed. I’m very lean. My friend who is fat, recently diabetic and smoked 10 years longer then me has a calcium score 0. So it’s a real murder mystery as what’s driving what. Meanwhile I’m IF 23:1 sometimes 20:4 like you, my purpose to to keep insulin minimum while I research. I don’t want to drop dead at 55 on a treadmill.
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and have been doing a lot of research on how to fix myself. It is my understanding that the damage to arteries and many other diabetic complications are caused by high blood sugar, not necessarily the high insulin. Maybe they just tell us this because it is easy to track blood glucose levels with fingertip blood, but the ability to track insulin levels in the blood is not readily available to test frequently at home.

I've been watching Dr. Bernsteins videos about diabetes (look for the episodes about insulin), and he does say that carbs cause a huge fast rise in blood sugar, but protein causes a slower rise. The problem is the body's basal (constant) insulin level isn't strong enough to prevent that sharp rise in blood glucose from refined carbs and the damage that causes, but in a normal person, the basal insulin prevents too high of a spike, and that peak blood sugar will cause a large amount of insulin to be released to bring down the glucose levels. An insulin resistant person, may still have a large rise in insulin but it isn't enough to bring down glucose levels because the cells aren't processing the signal, so more damage occurs. In a type 1 diabetic, they inject insulin prior to eating to cover the protein and carbs consumed (he also recommends very low carb diet for diabetics). since the rise is so much slower with protein, a normal person (or the basal insulin injection for a diabetic) provides enough insulin to cover the protein in meat without a sharp rise in blood sugar. He does say that different sources of protein can affect blood sugar differently and recommends his new patients spend a couple weeks of consistently eating the same quantity of the same thing every day to work out exactly how much fast acting insulin they need for a serving of that food.

I've tested my personal glucose levels after eating carbs, and in the beginning, would often see readings over 180 mg/dl after a dinner with 60-70g carbs. now, more cautious, lower carb eating, moderate to high protein and moderate fat. I'm typically 140s after meals now. I'll let you know after our next steak night if that creates a rise in my glucose levels.

Dr. Jason Fung talks a lot about insulin. He recommends a combination of keto diet and IF or extended fast (3-5 days with medical supervision) to lower insulin.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    rfrenkel77 wrote: »

I’m not insulin resistant, but have Artery calcification, which is counter diagnosis to dr Krafts proclamation that all heart disease is IR undiagnosed. I’m very lean. My friend who is fat, recently diabetic and smoked 10 years longer then me has a calcium score 0. So it’s a real murder mystery as what’s driving what. Meanwhile I’m IF 23:1 sometimes 20:4 like you, my purpose to to keep insulin minimum while I research. I don’t want to drop dead at 55 on a treadmill.

Have you read up on how some claim they are using vitamin D3 and K2 along with magnesium to lower heart calcium scores? While my score last May was only 9.8 I am hoping to lower it a bit more on the next test results. All things being equal the score typically increases by 15-30% annually. Last year (my first CAC scoring) at the age of 66 I came in as one age 56. I was obese (in the 250 pound range for years) but never smoked, drinked or did drugs.

I am too interested in what makes CAC scoring numbers increase/decrease. Perhaps the reasons are not the same for everyone. I was Keto or LCHF for 2.7 years before my first and only scoring was done last May.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    The action of insulin on protein is entirely different than the action of insulin on glucose.
    Glycation, is the problem with arterial damage and the action of insulin storing excess glucose as triglyceride.

So I have taken a look at the chart. Are there implications for me? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to chicken -vs- beef?
  • rfrenkel77
    Options
    @GaleHawkins
    Taking d3 and k2 and omega3. Stopping all nuts today because of high omega6. Highly doubt that calcium can be reversed just hoping to assist my body from depositing more. I’m 40, GAC score 20. There is definitely a genetic component to this also. Just don’t know what my body is reacting to.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    You guys might want to read the posts on Marty Kendall's site Optimising Nutrition. He talks a lot about protein, gluconeogenesis, protein's effect on blood sugar and insulin.
    https://optimisingnutrition.com/category/protein-and-blood-sugar/
    This is just one post. You can view his other posts and his references once there if you want to dive more deeply.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @GaleHawkins
    Taking d3 and k2 and omega3. Stopping all nuts today because of high omega6. Highly doubt that calcium can be reversed just hoping to assist my body from depositing more. I’m 40, GAC score 20. There is definitely a genetic component to this also. Just don’t know what my body is reacting to.

I just lost my long reply about my limited calcium deposit reversal experience and will retype it when I get time. I am positive that reversal is doable but I do not know if it is meaningful.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

So I have taken a look at the chart. Are there implications for me? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to chicken -vs- beef?

I don’t know for sure. I have read about the differences in amino acid profiles of chicken and beef and different animal protein will illicit a different response. I think there’s a reason the carnivore community eats primarily ruminant animals. It’s probably more related to total nutrition and appetite satisfaction than it is insulin related though.
    If I recall correctly, didn’t you make a dramatic increase in your protein consumption a while back and end up seeing more improvement in your fasting blood sugar and throughout the day as well?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

You saying insulin rise from the steak protein is less inflammatory then identical insulin rise from oatmeal because of carb presence? Interesting. I’ll look into this. Post links please if you already have them bookmarked.

I found that the index chart was generated off https://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/handle/2123/11945
    Check 2nd pdf, it has all the tested foods, and “beef streak” is not a brand name, but a real grilled Australian steak.

This covers so much information, I don’t know of what you’re looking for is in here or not but insulin does more than store fat and glucose. Insulin in and of itself isn’t the problem. It’s what it’s busy doing that creates issues.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html?m=1
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options

I don’t know for sure. I have read about the differences in amino acid profiles of chicken and beef and different animal protein will illicit a different response. I think there’s a reason the carnivore community eats primarily ruminant animals. It’s probably more related to total nutrition and appetite satisfaction than it is insulin related though.
    If I recall correctly, didn’t you make a dramatic increase in your protein consumption a while back and end up seeing more improvement in your fasting blood sugar and throughout the day as well?

I made some intentional increases in protein more in line with the recommended from the keto gains site. I got slightly improved results with the meter in terms of BG after the change, but it is hard to know if that was just the trend anyway or related to the protein. I can say with some confidence that I discovered that (for me), a meal high in protein to meet my goal (say 60 g or so), did not have any negative impact on the readings 1 and 2 hours after eating.

My A1C on 1000 mg of Metformin once a day was 5.3 after probably 3 months of eating the higher protein. My doctor took me off the Metformin. The numbers have crept up and seem to be stable now after 2 months off the Metformin. Now my fasting is about 120-125, and an hour after eating, I will have 130-135. At 2 hours, I will be back to 120(ish). I have stuck with the higher protein since going off the Metformin, and I have been very good about keeping carbs under 20 (net) per day.

I get another A1C in early April, but I don't like the higher numbers. I am wondering if there is another piece of the puzzle for me in all this. If my average glucose reading is 130, that gives me a predicted A1C of 6.1-6.2, and that is a little discouraging for me.

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Also Google Dr. Shawn Baker.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

I made some intentional increases in protein more in line with the recommended from the keto gains site. I got slightly improved results with the meter in terms of BG after the change, but it is hard to know if that was just the trend anyway or related to the protein. I can say with some confidence that I discovered that (for me), a meal high in protein to meet my goal (say 60 g or so), did not have any negative impact on the readings 1 and 2 hours after eating.

My A1C on 1000 mg of Metformin once a day was 5.3 after probably 3 months of eating the higher protein. My doctor took me off the Metformin. The numbers have crept up and seem to be stable now after 2 months off the Metformin. Now my fasting is about 120-125, and an hour after eating, I will have 130-135. At 2 hours, I will be back to 120(ish). I have stuck with the higher protein since going off the Metformin, and I have been very good about keeping carbs under 20 (net) per day.

I get another A1C in early April, but I don't like the higher numbers. I am wondering if there is another piece of the puzzle for me in all this. If my average glucose reading is 130, that gives me a predicted A1C of 6.1-6.2, and that is a little discouraging for me.

I know Dr Bernstein encourages people to stay on metformin if it gives them more consistently normal blood sugars.
    It’s more important to achieve the low A1c than to be off meds. If it were me, and I tolerated the metformin, I think I would ask to go back in it.
    It’s not going backward. The lower A1c is a step forward. Doesn’t matter how you get there in my opinion.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

It's worth noting that for some people, especially those with insulin resistance, have slightly higher fasting blood sugar readings on very low carb, but actually have a normal (or nearly normal) A1C. The exact mechanisms and reasons are a little fuzzy, but it's basically that the cyclical glycogen release is still dealing with the insulin resistance input. Your A1C might actually be a bit lower than you're predicting, because staying low carb eliminates the spikes and allows the blood sugar to go lower more often, bringing down the actual average.

I had the same issue a couple of years ago and despite me getting FBG readings in the pre-diabetic range, my A1C was actually on the normal side. That said, I was able to bring even my glucose readings down to normal levels with full carnivory and intermittent fasting (I have issues with insulin resistance and danced around the line of pre-diabetes, but have never officially been diabetic), even when Metformin didn't work for me, so it is possible.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    This article on optimisingnutrition.com seems like it might have something to add to this discussion.... https://optimisingnutrition.com/2015/06/15/the-blood-glucose-glucagon-and-insulin-response-to-protein/ Lots of 'real science' references at the end of the article.
  • rfrenkel77
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The answer to original question is both steak and apple will spike equal insulin and stop ketosis ie fat furn. I learned some pathology especially from the last link. that was a very readable article, canadjineh.
    Still amazing that there is notable difference between animal protein from chicken bacon and fish and beef.