anyone start disliking coconut flour and oil after starting keto?

Options
dynosaur
dynosaur Posts: 13 Member
i started keto beginning of this year and lost 8 kilos by easter (then took a few days off because chocolate...) during that time i made keto bread and loved it. i used coconut oils and flours in baking and was enjoying the flavour. but since returning to keto, i can't seem handle the smell or taste anymore so i've been avoiding it and hadn't really thought much about it.

i just made 90 second keto bread with coconut flour and oil and i just cant eat it. its turning my stomach! i actually feel sick. has anyone else experienced this? i still love the taste of coconut cream, milk, water and fresh coconut, so its not coconut itself that's the problem, i just cant seem to eat the flour or oil anymore. which makes a lot of keto recipes hard!

just wondering if anyone knows whats going on with this weirdness! thanks

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Any chance they've gone rancid? It happens with other oils so why not coconut oil?

Flours, I've always stored any type (all purpose, masa, grits) in the refrigerator because I use so little of them. It can get buggy in North Carolina and I've found bugs in that stuff. I did have a bag of coconut flour but threw it away because the only thing I made with it was a couple mug brownies and I'd just rather not eat brownies. Keto or otherwise.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Me and CO parted ways. And eggs...even deviled...NOPE.
    I just CO and egged my way into being sick of them.
    Years later, even now that I'm not keto anymore, I still can't stand the thought. Though I did make a sausage, cheddar, and spinach crustless quiche last night that was pretty good, but you really couldn't taste any eggness in it.

But then I still can't eat soup after a pregnancy aversion with one of my kids...about 13 years ago. Where's a darn eyeroll emoji when you need it?

I will still sometimes use coconut flour. Don't overcook it. That makes it bitter for sure.
  • dynosaur
    Options
    yeah i think i must have CO and floured too much too fast! lets hope it doesn't spread to eggs too heehee or bacon!!!! :o
  • dynosaur
    Options
    the oil is pretty old - big costco jar nearly empty. ill throw it out in case it is rancid. didnt even think of that. the flour is new so it should be fine. maybe i shouldnt use both together and see if its just too much together for me?
  • julieb47
    julieb47 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like coconut things fine if they're supposed to taste of coconut. I can abide it though when everything has a faint taste of coconut, so I don't use the oil or the flour. I find the flour quite difficult anyway. Can't ever get the texture right so I've given up and just use almond flour.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Try the flour with butter and other strong flavors like chocolate, almond, cinnamon, or cheddar, onion, bacon... maybe u can use bacon fat with the coconut flour in savory recipes and it won't taste like coconut!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    julieb47 wrote: »
    I like coconut things fine if they're supposed to taste of coconut. I can abide it though when everything has a faint taste of coconut, so I don't use the oil or the flour. I find the flour quite difficult anyway. Can't ever get the texture right so I've given up and just use almond flour.

There are 2 types of coconut oil. Unrefined tastes like coconut. Refined does not.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I had to cut way back on CO, because I found it added too many cals for me to lose weight. But I'll still use it sparingly and like it. I also use it as moisturizer for the body and for dry hair treatments.
    I avoid all flours like the plague. So, I don't even know what that's like.
  • dynosaur
    Options
    cgcrutch wrote: »
    Try the flour with butter and other strong flavors like chocolate, almond, cinnamon, or cheddar, onion, bacon... maybe u can use bacon fat with the coconut flour in savory recipes and it won't taste like coconut!

great suggestion - i need to use it up now that i have it - it was expensive!!!!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I still LOVE everything coconut but I imagine I'd get tired of anything after having it all the time. Do you like almond flour? I think it tastes more like regular flour, but it's a lot higher in calories so I usually do half almond/half coconut.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with coconut oil and flour - just don't like them but I love coconut. I just use avocado oil and almond flour - both available at costco at a very good price. I find these have a very neutral taste.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I have never cared much for coconut and I had rather hoped on this diet I would develop a taste for it but no. I hate it even more now. The only coconut things I've really been fond of were pina coladas and Samoas. I can't eat gluten so the cookies are out and I think it's the rum that makes the pina colada acceptable. lol
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Actually like the coconut butter that leaves a little coconut aftertaste especially in coffee.