Meaty May

Options

Replies

• ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked salmon! My mum works at a salmon factory and gets it for a fantastic price but alas it smells terrible to me and the texture is just odd
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'm out of town for the weekend, staying at a "TownePlace Suites", and lo and behold the breakfast buffet was LEGIT!
    Eggs, ham, sausage, AND cheese! I made an epic breakfast sandwich with several stacked layers --- sorry for no pics but I'd left my phone in the room. But I'll try to remember to snap one tomorrow.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I want one of those retro dresses.
    kirkor wrote: »
    "Salmon in the morning, salmon in the evening, salmon at suppertime"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRvEHn6fKWE

• cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Happy travels, kirkor! :)
  • cricketpower
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Just a thought re: ketone monitoring. Don't be surprised if morning fasting ketones might come up low. The Dawn Phenomenon, which causes the liver to crank out glucose in prep of waking and is an annoyance to diabetics thanks to that, can/will affect ketone levels to a degree. If I understand it correctly. I was asked in the MF a few months ago about ketone testing. The person was testing fasting, and it was low. So I found an online article where a guy was doing theraputic keto and tracked his ketones all day for awhile. Surprisingly, some of his highest were in the afternoon. Lowest, fasting ketones. I wonder if I can find it again...

ETA: Ah...here we are: https://medium.com/the-mission/tracking-blood-ketones-behind-the-scenes-data-on-the-ketogenic-diet-7d35fcab0baa

Of course I'd be curious to know if in the dearth of ANY carbohydrate, how pronounced the Dawn Phenom becomes under those conditions. Better or worse? I don't know enough about physiology to know. But it makes a Baconslave curious nonetheless. :wink:

Just thought I'd share an update here on this. I saw my lowest FBG ever (67) and my highest ketones ever (3.3) this morning -- fasted.

Two weeks keto + two weeks carnivore.

NEVER saw these numbers, at any time of day, when I was "strictly keto" in the past (multiple experiments).

Recipe yesterday was crickets, salmon, chicken breast, lots of sunshine, grounding, push-mowing the yard, and time with friends. Life is good. :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What are people's thoughts on marinades?
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    If I make the marinade or rub myself I don’t mind. I like knowing what goes in. I’ve been using them less and less though
  • nill4me
    Options
    I'm out of town for the weekend, staying at a "TownePlace Suites", and lo and behold the breakfast buffet was LEGIT!
    Eggs, ham, sausage, AND cheese! I made an epic breakfast sandwich with several stacked layers --- sorry for no pics but I'd left my phone in the room. But I'll try to remember to snap one tomorrow.

I love townplace. I’m in one this week for work.
  • nill4me
    Options
    zlzrgokc34tr.jpeg
    townplace fridge
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Frankly, some cuts and some meats need a marinade. Bison, and most older animals (i.e. - mutton vs lamb), tend to need a marinade, especially for the non-loin cuts.

I personally make my own marinades and brines, so I know what's going into them.

The brine we use does have sugar as part of it, it serves the purpose of further denaturing the proteins, making them more tender. The vast majority of the sugar doesn't actually stay in/on the meat, especially if the cut's rinsed. Now that we have a dedicate smoker, I might try a roast with a salt-only brine and see how it differs from our current one.

The marinades (and dry rubs, for that matter) I make tend to not have sugar in them. It's just vinegar and spices and maybe a little oil. Again, it serves the purpose of helping to break down the proteins to create a more tender product, and again, the vast majority doesn't stay on the meat (in the case of marinades), so I tend to not concern myself too much with it.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    If I make the marinade or rub myself I don’t mind. I like knowing what goes in. I’ve been using them less and less though

We like to use a dry rub of whatever spices we want, then slather the whole thing with olive oil and let sit....Almost like a marinade.....
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

I don't use much in the way of marinades. My seasonings have been pretty basic. I cook much of my meat in ghee because it just tastes so good. Then SPG (salt pepper garlic powder) that I have pre-mixed in a shaker goes on a lot of my food. The only time I really go beyond that is when I make my version of taco meat where I have some other seasonings like chili powder and such. I just eat that on top of pork rinds to keep it carnivore. I am still going dairy free (except the ghee) for now to give my body a chance to get it all out of my system before re-introducing it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I'd say it depends on how strict you want to be.

I haven't used one yet, but I would not object to a small amount if sugar free.

Oops. Wrong. I had a egg/beef/cheese casserole that had a bit of ketchup, so I guess I've used them. Sort of.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I totally concur with Dragonwolf. Brining is a must when it comes to pork and chicken. That little bit of sugar in the brine doesn't hurt anything. Once you try brined meat it will become a staple. Anyone ever try brining beef?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    I totally concur with Dragonwolf. Brining is a must when it comes to pork and chicken. That little bit of sugar in the brine doesn't hurt anything. Once you try brined meat it will become a staple. Anyone ever try brining beef?

I did, actually, before I smoked it. :smile:

It's awesome.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me hungry.
  • cricketpower
    Options
    Today is about halfway through Meaty May! Who is still with us, and how are you doing? :)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Today is about halfway through Meaty May! Who is still with us, and how are you doing? :)

Doing well here. Got some homemade "taco" type meat here for lunch that I will put on top of some pork rinds. Already have the pork blade steak ready to go for dinner tonight.

Hardest part has been not overeating just because it all tastes so good.
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I transitioned to Carnivore on 5/1 .. just found this thread :)