kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    mdoqC5Z.jpg8QKDLDq.jpg
    LGHdwi4.jpgGRDp9xL.jpg
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm not full carnivore but I'm buying more meat because of this thread. Grass fed burgers, grass fed hot dogs, and pork sirloin just to name a few. Nice infographics^. What do you all think of braunschweiger?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm still in and mostly carnivore. :)

My transgressions are mainly in my drinks: I have coffee and add coconut cream and a bit of stevia to it. I've also had some mayo and a bit of ketchup in a casserole.

For me, this works. I am using this challenge as a way to start and not just a one month thing. I know I won't be perfectly carnivore so I started as I mean to go on. :)
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I’m still here but mostly carnivore rather than fully. I don’t know why but every time I try full carnivore I end up failing and then thinking oh well I’m a failure and reverting back to old habits and bingeing on carbs. Im thinking it’s just some sort of mental and emotional thing as I have had issues about eating meat before so my new mantra is keep it mostly carnivore and so far that seems to be working better. I feel so much better physically when I’m eating lots of meat so I know it’s the right food for me. I love how cutting right down on plants clears up my digestion problems too.
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    1). The only shrimp I have eaten in my life is popcorn shrimp ~ and I've been gluten-free for 6 years, so it has been at least that long.

2). After a solid 4 weeks of ZERO dairy whatsoever, I decided to cook these dudes up tonight in some ghee. With salt.

3). Holy kittens, this tasted like dessert to me. Not. remotely. kidding.

4). Label says a serving size of these has 4% of daily Vitamin C.

5). Found them in the frozen section at Costco.

034ogj2ya3us.jpg
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'm not full carnivore but I'm buying more meat because of this thread. Grass fed burgers, grass fed hot dogs, and pork sirloin just to name a few. Nice infographics^. What do you all think of braunschweiger?

I'm not sure what is in it ~ all I know is my dad liked to eat it a lot when I was a kid, and I hated it. Sorry I can't be more help. Just didn't want to ignore you. Welcome! :)
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what is in it ~ all I know is my dad liked to eat it a lot when I was a kid, and I hated it. Sorry I can't be more help. Just didn't want to ignore you. Welcome! :)

Hello there cricketpower!

Braunschweiger isn't for everyone since it's pork liver and pork fat usually, I believe, though I've seen a lot of different recipes for it. I think I remember my dad and grandfather had some and I didn't really like it as a kid either, now I love it. If people can tolerate it, any form of beef, pork, or chicken livers is about as good nutritionally as any other food.

I would consider shrimp a dessert too, they have to be deveined though! It's been ages since I've had any.
  • kirkor
    Options
    I don’t know why but every time I try full carnivore I end up failing and then thinking oh well I’m a failure and reverting back to old habits and bingeing on carbs. Im thinking it’s just some sort of mental and emotional thing as I have had issues about eating meat before so my new mantra is keep it mostly carnivore and so far that seems to be working better.

That's smart! Good to recognize patterns and if you can adjust your behavior to avoid an "all or nothing" mentality then that will serve you well over the long run. No prizes awarded for "most carnivore" or anything; we've all got to figure out what works best for ourselves.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I’m still here but mostly carnivore rather than fully. I don’t know why but every time I try full carnivore I end up failing and then thinking oh well I’m a failure and reverting back to old habits and bingeing on carbs. Im thinking it’s just some sort of mental and emotional thing as I have had issues about eating meat before so my new mantra is keep it mostly carnivore and so far that seems to be working better. I feel so much better physically when I’m eating lots of meat so I know it’s the right food for me. I love how cutting right down on plants clears up my digestion problems too.

Yeah. Like you, I'm not as strict as some but I'm making more of an effort to find my mostly meat niche. :) Meat seems to agree with my body the most, but it is my least favorite type of food so it seems harder to stick to... easier to lose weight with though because I don't eat as much. ;)

I went back to higher carb levels after the last meaty challenge. I think I thought I was rewarding myself. It was the early beginning of my slow slide back to more carbs. Not this time. :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Yeah. Like you, I'm not as strict as some but I'm making more of an effort to find my mostly meat niche. :) Meat seems to agree with my body the most, but it is my least favorite type of food so it seems harder to stick to... easier to lose weight with though because I don't eat as much. ;)

I went back to higher carb levels after the last meaty challenge. I think I thought I was rewarding myself. It was the early beginning of my slow slide back to more carbs. Not this time. :)

I get it... my challenges are low BG (especially during exercise) where I have no choice but to take glucose tablets.

Dairy (cheese) is the other area where I get carbs. I'm hoping to give up cheese by July.

Also, I'm working on cutting back artificial sweeteners. I've already given up diet soda, and I'm using up my supply of sucralose that I add to coffee. I think I'm a few weeks away, but will see. However long it takes, I'm not buying another bag.

Coffee is one of those things that might be allowed on a carnivore diet, but I've been cutting back on the strength of my coffee. Eventually, I would like to be able to go without. This won't be forever, but perhaps for special situations where I want/need the caffeine boost. I believe coffee causes some interference with hunger signals, and I'm hoping I can get to a point where I can eat the right amount just by listening to my body.

My experience thus far is that I feel best when eating beef, as compared to other meats like pork, chicken, etc. I'm thinking of switching to beef only at some point. I have some chicken, pork, and venison in the freezer to use first. I also plan to get some fish at variable points throughout the rest of the year and hope to get rabbits, squirrels, and deer later this year. So the idea of eating just beef may not work out 100%, but I could buy just beef and make exceptions for anything else I kill myself.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I get it... my challenges are low BG (especially during exercise) where I have no choice but to take glucose tablets.

Dairy (cheese) is the other area where I get carbs. I'm hoping to give up cheese by July.

Also, I'm working on cutting back artificial sweeteners. I've already given up diet soda, and I'm using up my supply of sucralose that I add to coffee. I think I'm a few weeks away, but will see. However long it takes, I'm not buying another bag.

Coffee is one of those things that might be allowed on a carnivore diet, but I've been cutting back on the strength of my coffee. Eventually, I would like to be able to go without. This won't be forever, but perhaps for special situations where I want/need the caffeine boost. I believe coffee causes some interference with hunger signals, and I'm hoping I can get to a point where I can eat the right amount just by listening to my body.

My experience thus far is that I feel best when eating beef, as compared to other meats like pork, chicken, etc. I'm thinking of switching to beef only at some point. I have some chicken, pork, and venison in the freezer to use first. I also plan to get some fish at variable points throughout the rest of the year and hope to get rabbits, squirrels, and deer later this year. So the idea of eating just beef may not work out 100%, but I could buy just beef and make exceptions for anything else I kill myself.

Red meat seems to work the best for me too... Or I'm just projecting because I like the taste and ease of cooking with it the best. ;)

I've never eaten squirrel. Seems like too much work for one animal. Way too much if there are a few. ;)
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm probably 90/10 carnivore. I have only meat for lunch but twice this week I had cherry tomatoes and mushrooms. I have found a good balance and listen to my body if it wants a few veges then so be it. The biggest thing I miss is avocado but here they are $7 each! So I wouldn't pay that anyway. Oh and fathead pizza...... Mmmmmm
  • kirkor
    Options
    The biggest thing I miss is avocado but here they are $7 each!

Dang! I usually get mad when they go for over $1!
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Haha! They are $1 when in season but now I guess they are imported so they can charge a *kitten* load.
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    -
  • kirkor
    Options
    Dang that's a good hook up for the side dish!
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Love it! Braunschweiger, liver sausage, beef & chicken livers - I love it all. If you can handle it, some of the most nutritious meat you can eat.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I decided to drop out early. I was using this as an elimination diet. I eat this way for BG control. There is no weight loss needed and only about 10-15 lbs when I started keto a couple years ago. However, my FBG has never improved and my A1c only improved slightly from 6.6-6.7 down to 6.0-6.1 through all the various hacks I have tried.

Long story short, I have read a crap ton on MODY. Initially, I blew it off as a possibility because of one line about being diagnosed under 25. However, given I never had my BG tested until I was 36 at which time my FBG was 110 and no A1c test was done and when I finally did get my A1c tested at 44 and was diabetic, my FBG was still 110, I realized I couldn't have gotten diagnosed if I had never gotten tested.

In looking at multiple sources, the second most common form of MODY (there are 7 known genetic mutations so far with as many as a dozen more suspected) MODY Glucokinase, fits not just me, but my dad and his dad to a T. So, I started moving to my next self experimentation so I can have a bit more data before my next Dr appointment in a few months.

There is a genetic test I have done, but it is several hundred dollars and insurance doesn't cover it. This is pretty stupid on the part of insurance because they will pay for me to take metformin (which has zero effect on my BG which is one of the characteristics of this form of MODY), as if it is confirmed that I do have it, the treatment is to not treat meaning they would pay nothing further. This form has slightly elevated BG that never significantly progresses as has none of the normal adverse health effects normally attributed to T2.

Probably more than any of you wanted to know, but, I rarely drop out of something and wanted to give an explanation even though I don't really "know" any of you, I have had online discussions with some of you for quite a while now.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @cstehansen Regarding MODY, have you had gad and c-peptide tests? Typically MODY patients would have c-peptide test results resembling that of a type 1, and have gad results showing they do not have anti-bodies of a type 1. If your theory is correct, the c-peptide results would be less extreme than a T1, but would still show a reduced insulin release.