***Diary of a Mad OMADder***

Eddy_65
Eddy_65 Posts: 66 Member
Hi, I'm Eddy.

I've been doing OMAD for about three weeks now. First, I watched all of Joe's videos (some multiple times, so I understood). Then, I transitioned gradually. I eliminated snacks, and then I had 2 meals per day on a 16:8 fasting split to start, and a 20:4 split later. My first true OMAD day was May 1.

I'm 52, 6'1", with a goal weight of ~ 170 lbs. So far, I am down 4 lbs. (178 to 174).

I figured, in considering all physical realities, 2000 cal/day would maintain, so I counted calories to ensure a deficit. Weight loss is not the main issue for me, though. Instead, it's rethinking my relationship with food. Although I have a light frame, I had (hopefully I can use the past tense from now on) a tendency to carry excess weight. I fed said weight by emotional eating; specifically, binging on carbs. Preferred "poisons" were baked goods and breakfast cereal. I ate them to celebrate the good times and numb the bad times, and always to excess. Looking back, I realized I had done this since childhood.

At my heaviest, I was 210 lbs. To others, I looked normal, even healthy, but I felt sluggish and dull. I had to suck in my gut to snap my pants, which strained against my legs as I sat. I also untucked my shirts so my belly wouldn't show. Finally, I just gave up and left everything unsnapped and untucked. (In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't buy bigger clothes.)

For my entire adult life, my weight has varied by as much as 40 lbs. Over time, I'd tried to control this yo-yo effect "for good" with restrictive diets (Atkins, Zone, Paleo, vegan) that I couldn't sustain, or with a diet system based on pre-packaged food. The latter is also unsustainable, as calorie counting or portion control are deliberately ignored as a selling point. This guarantees a relapse, and possibly a return customer. I got tired of riding that carousel, too.

In summary, this is something I can stick with. It's simple (although not always easy) and workable to follow a "delay, don't deny" plan of eating. I can always have what I want, as long as it's within the time and caloric guidelines.

Also, "hunger high" is a trip. I feel like I've been inhaling pure oxygen.

That's it for now. More later. Thanks for reading my first update.

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Welcome, my friend!

Sounds like you have a good grasp of you and your struggles--which is more than I can say for so many who just don't know themselves.
  • DarthWaderMT
    DarthWaderMT Posts: 231 Member
    welcome! Looks like you are off to a good start! Figuring out your personal needs is #1!well done!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Welcome Eddy :)
  • Eddy_65
    Welcome, my friend!

Sounds like you have a good grasp of you and your struggles--which is more than I can say for so many who just don't know themselves.

Thank you. I really appreciate the honest, no-nonsense approach you take in your videos. I learned more in a few minutes than I would have in a few hours spent reading on my own.

• Eddy_65
    welcome! Looks like you are off to a good start! Figuring out your personal needs is #1!well done!

Thank you. I learned that you can't reliably control weight and eating issues until you understand (and accept) how and why you have them in the first place. I wish I would have come across this information sooner in life, but as a wise friend once told me: Whenever you catch the fish -- it's fresh.

• Eddy_65
    Welcome Eddy :)

Thanks, Brenda. I appreciate the welcome. It's good to be here.

• dkayingram
    dkayingram Posts: 737 Member
    Welcome Eddy!
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Welcome!
  • Eddy_65
    Thank you both!
  • EstrangedTiger
    EstrangedTiger Posts: 543 Member
    Welcome! How are you feeling today?

• Eddy_65
    Welcome! How are you feeling today?

I'm doing well, thank you. I've found the going a little easier over the last few days. I'm not watching the clock so much in waiting for my feed. I think I've been sleeping better, too.
  • brittdee88
    Sleep is such a HUGE benefit for me, too! The days of agonizing until your meal will be behind you soon :)
  • Eddy_65
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    Sleep is such a HUGE benefit for me, too! The days of agonizing until your meal will be behind you soon :)

Yes, I do look forward to that. Speaking of sleep, I haven't gotten much lately due to a brief health issue, and because of that I just ate whenever I felt I could keep something down, but I'm doing better and look to get back on track.
  • brittdee88
    Has your sleep improved at all lately? Mine has gotten better with more exercise, but it's still a struggle at times.
  • Eddy_65
    It has gotten better, thanks. I've found that playing a "white noise" file or a lecture helps.
  • brittdee88
    That's awesome! I have never thought about listening to a lecture before.
  • Eddy_65
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    That's awesome! I have never thought about listening to a lecture before.

It does work, as long as the speaking voice is pleasant and the topic is neutral for you. An unpleasant voice or a controversial topic will do the opposite -- get you all riled up!
  • Eddy_65
    Tomorrow is Weigh Day. We'll see how it goes.
  • brittdee88
    Good luck on today's weigh-in!
  • Eddy_65
    Body weight stable at 174. That's okay. The main goal is getting control of eating, and I think I can keep this up.

My maintenance plan (for now, anyway) is a 5:2 split, with OMAD during the week and Two-MAD during the weekends, or something similar. It will be fluid, but never again out of control. I'll still count calories, too, as I think it's important to monitor intake. Splurges when I really feel like them, but not too often, as I know from experience how they can take over and become the default.