TEAM: Gutbusters (August)

Options

Replies

• LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    grebber1 wrote: »
    hey everyone hows it going? Weekends are usually rough for me but so far so good. I worked outside most of the day building a retaining wall and then went frisbee golfing so I got a lot of walking in. I guess the only bad part of the day was I ate a footlong sweet onion chicken teriyaki. on wheat with pepperjack onions lettuce and spinach for dinner. I could have done without a whole foot long but I ate well all day and was very active so im not sweating it.
    looking forward to this months challenge. i have a lot of weight to lose and plan i hitting it this coming month.

@grebber1 I sometimes have larger meals, too. I think the key is keeping track of your calories and monitoring the average across the entire week. I find that if I have a large meal and go way over my calorie target, the next day or two I tend to run a couple hundred calories below my target, so that the average across those days is about where I want it to be.

• sara41164
    sara41164 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a question for everyone. I have a family of 6 and everyone complains about eating the healthy stuff and how it don’t taste as good. I don’t think I have the strength to turn down the good food they want if I were to fix it. Is it fair to make them all eat what I need to eat to reach my goals? How do you all cook for your families/kids?
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    @sara41164 ..
    Man thats a tough one. I guess in a perfect world they would just eat what your eating and love it. I have kind of the same problem in my house where a certain someone is always thinking they know what i can and can't have.
    Self control around what your family really wants is a pita.
    I guess it's not fair to make them eat the same but at the same time they need to be respectful of what your trying to accomplish. It's hard enough.
    But you will always be confronted with the foods your family wants. It's everywhere. Your going to eat it at some point. You have to be in control of yourself and not go overboard.
    One thing I'm currently doing is if there is going to be something to eat that I shouldn't have but I'm going to eat anyways, is make a huge salad and drink a bunch of water before hand. It really limits me on how much of the bad food I'll eat.
    Come on here and post. Support will help you greatly
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    sara41164 wrote: »
    I have a question for everyone. I have a family of 6 and everyone complains about eating the healthy stuff and how it don’t taste as good. I don’t think I have the strength to turn down the good food they want if I were to fix it. Is it fair to make them all eat what I need to eat to reach my goals? How do you all cook for your families/kids?

@sara41164 That's mealtime struggle is such a tough one, and I hear you -- it's hard, especially at the beginning, to resist eating what everyone else is. And if you're like me, it's really hard to deal with little people whining and complaining about food when you're tired and feeling low at the end of the day.

My strategy has been to make proteins that I need and my family will eat (eggs, chicken, turkey, some fish) and basically make an alternative meal for myself from those proteins. Here's an example: I make chicken fajitas with lots of frozen pepper strips and onions. I'll eat just the meat and veggies, sometimes with rice, but the dudes in the family will eat them with tortillas. Or we grill up a bunch of chicken, and I'll put mine into a salad or into half a Flat-Out flatbread wrap (check those out - I love them) with a bunch of greens and the dudes will eat the chicken with BBQ sauce on the side, etc. My guys will also eat egg salad sandwiches, so I always keep hard-boiled eggs on hand for my breakfast, and I can quickly make up egg salad for dinner if needed, I know they'll eat it. Ground sweet italian turkey sausage is another winner here, and I often buy it, brown it, and freeze it for later. I always have whole wheat pasta, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, mozzarella, and thin flatbread pizza crusts (we use Brooklyn Bred here) on hand, sometimes frozen if I run into a good deal. It's 30 minutes or less to make up pasta or pizza (the dudes love helping with this, too!) even from frozen ingredients, and I just put the italian sausage on some broccoli and throw some of the tomato sauce on top (is that weird?) and take a bite or two of leftover crust at the end.

So, my advice in a nutshell: make the proteins and vegetables you need for your body, and if your family needs/wants the pasta/breads/grains, find a way to give them that using the proteins and vegetables you've already made for you. Kids are at a different stage of life than adults are, so their needs are different, and you could talk to your pediatrician about what foods they need exactly, but we all know that healthy proteins and vegetables are good for everyone, and no matter how much the little people complain, we're doing a good thing by providing them with those foods.

• cheeso1
    cheeso1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What date is first weigh in please
  • WishfulThinning18
    WishfulThinning18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    @cheeso1 they start today

• biblebabe588
    biblebabe588 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well this week has been good and bad in since of diet. My body is retaining water. Well yesterday i didnt get a chance to work out at all. 😥 I tried to excersie five to six day a week. That ok i am staying positive. I dont believe the scale anymore. One moment it say i lots more than i expect then i gain it all back in one day lol. But my clothes are falling off. Tonight i will try strength training. And then tomorrow i will do my cardio for longer. That the goal this week! Wish me luck!
  • sara41164
    Options
    Thanks @grebber1 and @LealckABod I found both of your insights to be helpful and I will definitely try to make them part of the routine. I am a full out country girl who just loves her taters and cornbread (I have to confess). That is one of the hardest things for me to not have at dinner. Growing up they were with every meal and since I became a mom they’ve been on table with probably at least 3 dinners a week. My hubby’s favorite is mashed, so I tried to make mashed cauliflower and even tried them loaded but he just isn’t a fan. What are some of your favorites to substitute taters at the table?
  • bootssowhite
    bootssowhite Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Cait. I'm 33 year old, and I currently live in North Carolina, although that is changing soon. I just finished my Master's degree in May and I've been using the free time while I've been looking for a job to really focus on creating some better eating habits. I'm hoping this group will help keep me motivated as I move this month.
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    @sara41164
    butter nut squash makes freaking awesome mashed potato substitute. nuke it for a minute to soften it some then peel it. cube it out then boil. mash just like regular potato.
  • korimak0
    korimak0 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Late register here :) I'm 27, from New Zealand, and I've always been a big fan of the outdoors, running, and netball (kind of like basketball I guess).

I'm just getting back into the swing of things after almost a year with a knee injury, surgery, and minimal exercise. It's amazing how much weight I gained lying around all day :D So now I want to lose it all plus some more... The goal is to get back to netball, and that's a huge risk on my knee unless I lose weight, and build up all the muscle I lost.

Time to take my life back! Let's do it :smile:
  • korimak0
    korimak0 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @sara_12345 My favourite substitute for potato would lotus roots. You can get frozen round slices from the local Asian store, and then cook them up like potato chips with Cajun or moroccan spices. Feels like potato chips, but with less calories!
  • sara41164
    Options
    @korimak0 I’ve never heard of lotus roots, I will definitely have to try them. Thank you!

• LesIckaBod
    Options
    @sara41164 I'm going to take a different tack on this answer than everyone else. My parents are from eastern KY, and I grew up with cornbread as a family staple, too (soup beans and corn bread, corn bread and milk, etc). Lots of mashed potatoes, too. I say, if it's important to your family and culture, find the room in your calorie allowance somewhere else. Do you think there are other places you could cut calories, and preserve your mashed potatoes and cornbread?
  • sara41164
    Options
    Calorie wise I could definitely squeeze them in but carb wise I’m not sure. I figured if I make them once every couple weeks that won’t be a big deal and I can work around them.
  • sara41164
    Options
    That leads me to my next question. What type of lifestyle change or diet is everyone doing? Counting calories or carbs, Beachbody, Atkins, Keto, etc.........? What works best for you?
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Hey @sara41164

There have been some great suggestions in this thread, and I'd like to add my perspective. I cook for my picky immediate family sometimes although I don't have kids, so I think your situation is far more challenging than mine. Here is my perspective...

It's easy to make delicious unhealthy food. It's harder to make delicious healthy food. But not because healthy food is less delicious...more so because our culture has given healthy food bad PR and the passed down family recipes are so rarely healthy in nature.

I encourage you to continue to try to find creative solutions to make healthier food more palatable to your family (I know it will still remain challenging--both in appeasing so many tastebuds and also in changing the others' mindsets). So many weight loss stories begin with histories of how families ate and how people had to learn to modify their eating to move away from their pasts.

I think modern culture is set on a "weight gain" setting. The normalization of things like cereal or pop tarts as breakfast and pasta or pizza as a meal is, in my opinion, dangerous. Looking at nutrition value, cereal and pop tarts should fall under the dessert category while pasta and pizza--with their normally low protein values--should be treated as sides with correspondingly small serving sizes. I don't think families who follow these norms are wrong or bad...but I do think our entire society is fighting an uphill battle.

It's hard to fight this culture, and every small healthy choice you make will hopefully influence the future of your family. So I wouldn't feel any guilt over trying to stick to healthy recipes!

It takes a while, but here are a few healthy options I've learned are pretty delicious and work with my family.

-Wrapping chicken breast in a single piece of bacon (adds calories but not too many, easy to skip bacon if calories don't allow, higher fat and lower carb "unhealthy" foods are generally lower in calories and are fun to use in moderation)
    -roasting the heck out of vegetables.i don't use butter--just cooking spray for the pan. For science reasons, veggies become more sweet after roasting. I like doing it with asparagus, broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, cubed squash's, etc. any veggie your family might like could work--it's easy to google for basic recipes--and easy for picky eaters to pick out the parts they want--I always salt the veggies, too. People who "don't like" a vegetable are often shocked if veggies are roasted right. Every single family member I've tried this on is now a fan of at least one veggie they previously "disliked"
    -after pan frying a meat, I use the same pan to sautée a riced cauliflower/broccoli blend. I stir in a spoonful or two of queso (depending on amount I'm cooking) and this is my side. This one had my sister straight up fooled (I told her it was just rice sautéed for a long time). Kids are harder to fool though.

Hopefully something here helps! My favorite part of weight loss is when I'm eating a 300 or less calorie meal, and it's just a delicious as an 800+ calorie meal.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    That leads me to my next question. What type of lifestyle change or diet is everyone doing? Counting calories or carbs, Beachbody, Atkins, Keto, etc.........? What works best for you?

Calorie counting and protein/carb/fat aware :)
This discussion has been closed.