August 2018 LC Basics Challenge: Week 1 (8/1-8/7)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
Welcome to the August Basics Challenge!!!
I feel so strongly about how crucial this is, I have a Basics challenge pretty often.

Bah, basics! Entirely boring and unsexy, right?
Guess what though? It will get you to your goal. Basics aren't flashy or exciting, but this is how it's done.

One key thing that I have learned in my journey is this:
Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

Consistently nailing the basics is so important. And consistency creates good habits, routines, and gives you momentum that will carry you through hard times or disruptions to your normal schedule. Forget motivation. Motivation is a fickle thing. Discipline carries you through when motivation fails you.

So what are the basics?
Well, hitting your carb goal, obviously, right? There are other very important basics we need to lock in: staying hydrated, keeping electrolytes up, logging consistently (if you're a logger), exercise (if that's one of your goals), hitting your macros, staying away from trigger foods and other things you know set you back...

You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

Each week there will be a thread to collect your progress that week and to interact with other challengers.
I'll keep links to the weekly threads at the bottom of the stickied post should the thread get buried. 2 clicks, to this post and the Weekly link, will get you back to it.

So go ahead and post your goals in this Thread.
My daily post would look something like this.

Wed 10/1:
Logged: :+1:
Water: :+1:
Electrolytes: :+1:
Calorie Goal: :+1:
Carb Goal: :+1:
Exercise: HIIT :+1:
Prelogged next day: :+1:
7/7

But this is your show. So focus on your basics.

Make this month count! Tear it up!:+1:

Replies

• SenchaJill
    SenchaJill Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Cool! I’m in!
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm in! My goals, including FitBit tracking:
    • Log all food
    • Make or surpass step goal
    • Make hourly 250+ step goals
    • Make or surpass activity goal
    • Make hydration goal
    • Stay under Calorie and Carb goals

• mef1107
    mef1107 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Count me in...
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm going for the following daily goals:

log everything
    calorie goal (+/- 200)
    carb goal (+/- 20)
    exercise

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I'm in!

I need to work on sleep again. Work has gotten incredibly stressful and I'm laying awake at night worrying.

Sleep
    Water
    Food
    Exercise
    Gratitude
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I am in! I lost a total of 7 lbs from mid June to now. I am very pumped about that. Did a 10K race and am planning to do a sprint triathlon. I am almost at my goal weight and it has been YEARS since I could say that. I don't think I would be at this point had I not started eating low-carb.
    SO.....

Net carbs - 25 g (or not over 30)
    NO GRAZING - after supper mainly
    Exercise - not really an issue, I always manage to get that in
    Drink more water
    Stay within calorie range
    Being Thankful

@Cadori - I love your last one, gratitude. So, I added an extra at the end of mine. Feeling very thankful lately.

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    So what are the basics?
    Well, hitting your carb goal, obviously, right? There are other very important basics we need to lock in: staying hydrated, keeping electrolytes up, logging consistently (if you're a logger), exercise (if that's one of your goals), hitting your macros, staying away from trigger foods and other things you know set you back...

You hit all my goals on the head, yeppity yep yep!

• lisaloumn2
    lisaloumn2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Not sure what my goals are yet outside of logging and exercise.

I have been Keto for about 110 days and in some ways am still figuring it out. I have my carb macro at 10%, but would like to experiment with lower. I IF 16:8 - not sure I can do a 24 hour but might try one. I went alcohol free about 60 days ago with the exception of one glass of champagne in July, would like to continue that in August (again with a one glass exception at a wedding this Friday night).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My goals:

eat only from my slow carb food list
    drink water
    earn 520 apple watch move calories
    sleep 8 hours
  • PamamaJane
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is a goal or just a procedure. Either way I'm here to put this out there as a way of helping me be accountable to myself. Goal/Procedure #1: Get my FitBit 250 steps per hour at the beginning of each hour instead of waiting for my FitBit to remind me at 10 minutes before the end of each hour.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Exercise. That's really the only thing I want to focus on. Something like 60 minutes per day for 5 days a week. Or maybe a total number of minutes per month. TBD.

I've gradually been upping my carbs. Weight loss occurred at 128 total per month. Then I tried keto <20 for a year. Then ~50 for a year and have not really been tracking the last many months.

Regardless of the carb number, it will not include cakes, coorkies, pies, ice cream, Fritos, Doritos, Cheetos, etc on special occasion of which I have few. I do best with a trigger free environment.

I lean towards whole foods and mostly fish, dairy and eggs for protein with lots of vegetables and some fruit. I'm considering adding legumes/lentils/quinoa, etc. more frequently or at least not having a carb "target" that would limit them. Frankly all the carnivore talk is turning me off meat. I've never been a routinely heavy meat eater which is why MTKD probably "agreed" with me.

We're all different. :) All TBD.
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Log all food
    Meet Calorie Goal
    Stretch daily
    Exercise 3x per week
    Live purposefully - preschedule each day and follow the schedule. No more ineffective time usage.

• Bimby46
    Bimby46 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks baconslave, I need to post to hold myself accountable.

Goals:
    Calorie range
    Net Carb range
    Water
    Exercise
    Steps
    Live my life with purpose
  • baconslave
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is a goal or just a procedure. Either way I'm here to put this out there as a way of helping me be accountable to myself. Goal/Procedure #1: Get my FitBit 250 steps per hour at the beginning of each hour instead of waiting for my FitBit to remind me at 10 minutes before the end of each hour.

Sometime there's a fine line, right?... :wink:
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    My goal is to maintain my weight loss with 5 lbs wiggle room. This has always been the hardest for me to do. I know how to lose weight, but keeping it off eludes me.
    So, whatever it takes, I'm going to do it.

Exercise
    Weigh/Track food
    Sleep enough
    Take some "me" time
    Start going back to yoga classes
  • baconslave
    Options
    My goal is to maintain my weight loss with 5 lbs wiggle room. This has always been the hardest for me to do. I know how to lose weight, but keeping it off eludes me.
    So, whatever it takes, I'm going to do it.

Exercise
    Weigh/Track food
    Sleep enough
    Take some "me" time
    Start going back to yoga classes

100% have the same problem, so I feel you.
  • SenchaJill
    Options
    Accountability?! Yes! I need it.

I’ve been logging very consistently since September 2017, and have gradually reduced carbs to ~40g gross, and then added high fat in January. I’ve lost 60 pounds over the year, but the weight loss (on the scale) now seems to be slowing down. I still have about 20 pounds to lose.

I’ve increased walking, then adjusted to jogging a couple miles in addition to walking.

So, I need accountability, and support, in staying the course. This is my first time for me to join a challenge, and I’m looking forward to it!

My daily goals include:

=/< Carb Goal
    =/< Calorie Goal (not counting exercise calories)
    Hit Minimum Steps
    7-8 Hours of Sleep
    Log Everything
    No Food After Supper
  • PamamaJane
    Options
    Day #1:
    • Log all food --- DONE
    • Make or surpass step goal --- Increased from 4K to 5K and came in over that.
    • Make hourly 250+ step goals --- All 10 hours!
    • Make or surpass activity goal --- Goal of 30 minutes and I hit 40 minutes.
    • Make hydration goal --- Better than usual but I still need to work on this.
    • Stay under Calorie and Carb goals --- Calories at 1,202 and carbs at 19. I'm satisfied with that.

• SenchaJill
    Options
    Day #1

✔️=/< Carb Goal
    ✔️=/<Calorie Goal
    ✔️Hit Minimum Steps
    ✔️7-8 Hours of Sleep
    ✔️Log Everything
    ✔️No Food After Supper
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Day #1
    eat only from my slow carb food list ✔️
    drink water ✔️
    earn 520 apple watch move calories ✔️ (538 so far)
    sleep 8 hours Here's hoping