TEAM: Gutbusters (August)

Options

Replies

• eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @grebber1 a few months into my weight loss, I found out there would be a pizza dinner at an event I would be attending. I ate grilled pork and veggies on the way there and acted surprised by the pizza and declined--saying I'd forgotten and had already eaten.

At this point, I'd probably manage my calories to allow for a little pizza. However, at that point, it was 100% necessary for me to face the temptation of that pizza with a very full stomach. I snacked on some veggies they had at the event.

Keep envisioning your success this Monday, and it will happen! I think you have a great mindset for weight loss.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    So I'm trying to behave... but for some reason I'm hungry ALL the time lately. Like hungry my stomach has a dull ache hungry. Not sure what's going on. When I'm coming off breakfast I feel great. I have fruit and yogurt for a snack, a lunch meal (i'm doing Nutrisystem) decent sized salad and a side of cottage cheese and tomatoes, then peanut butter and apple for another snack. Up until I eat dinner.. this pain is there. As soon as I eat dinner I'm back to not having it. I don't know if I should swap out my dairy stuff for meat based protein or not. Only issue with that is it is less volume as the dairy hence why I chose dairy because I thought volume would be keeping me more full than the other options.

It may also be ToM. Not sure but I wish it'd go away. It's been like this for a week... prior to that I haven't had this issue and I started 3 weeks ago on this journey.

@WishfulThinning18. Being ravenously hungry is not uncommon, but there are strategies to reduce this.

The only things that trigger satiety (fullness) are fibre, fat and protein. The amount of calories or volume of the food makes little difference. This is essentially the trigger to STOP eating.

The second thing that KEEPS you from being hungry is how quickly the food you eat passes into your system. Mixing the food up with liquid (like into a soup), will keep you from feeling hungry again as soon.

The trigger to START eating is usually tripped by a hormone known as Ghrelin. This will make you want to find food to eat as it signals the conscious brain that food is required. However, if you can resist this signal for about half an hour, the signal goes away (or substantially lessens). There are reasons for this (but I will not go into detail).

When you feel the need to eat, drink water and do something else for at least 20 mins. Take you mind off food by giving it another focus. The water is because often the hunger signal is confused by the dehydration signal.

If after 20 mins, still wanting to devour the entire contents of the kitchen, have something to eat, but do it this way. Portion out what you are going to eat. Put the rest of the food AWAY (this way if you want seconds you have to get it out again - more effort required). Eat what you have portioned out (with some water or another 0 calorie beverage). Do something else for 5 mins to see if the hunger signal goes away.

Hope these tips help you. They helped me.
  • cjscoey
    cjscoey Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Username:cjscoey
    Weigh in day:Thursday
    Beginning weight:176.6
    Weight lost:178.6

Aug 1
    Excersise:no
    Calories:no
    Tracked:yes

Aug 2
    Calories:yes

I have had a crappy, stressful week and instead of dealing with it in healthy way I ate/drank really badly. Recommitting myself and back on track today, even though it was again stressful, so I know I can do it, I just have to focus.
  • biblebabe588
    biblebabe588 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    August 2
    Excersied:no
    Calories:no
    Tracked:no
    Normally even on bad days i can pull my self out and eat pretty good but tonight has gone out the window and then some. I am not going to beat myself up. Tomorrow is a new day and friday and back on the boat with excersie.
  • sara41164
    sara41164 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Username: sara41164
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Beginning weight: 156.3
    Weight lost: 3lbs

Aug. 1
    Exercise: yes
    Calories: yes, under
    Tracked: yes

Aug. 2

Exercise: yes
    Calories: yes, under
    Tracked: yes

Been busy the past couple days and since I’m not a huge breakfast person it’s hard for me to get my calories in. Happy that I’ve lost a couple pounds. It’s been super stressful with the kids school starting back and sports, along with my school. Don’t see it calming down anytime soon. I have noticed that I’m bad for snacking and not even realizing it. Like just grabbing a handful of something while in the kitchen. I’ve done better the past couple days but going to be hard to break that. Lol!
  • lolakinks
    lolakinks Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Username: lolakinks
    Weigh-in Day: Friday
    Weigh-in Week: 1
    Previous Weight: 85 kg (187.3 lbs)
    Current Weight: 84.2 kg (185.6 lbs)

Until last two days I was going well. Even I saw 83.6 kg (184.3 lbs) but then stress and depression...
  • craigo3154
    Options
    August 3
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 5+km in North Sydney.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Lunchtime walk. Flew home.

Looking forward to the weekend.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for August 03 is push ups

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • runforfun_wa
    runforfun_wa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Username : runforfun_wa
    Week : 1
    Current week : 184
    Weigh in day : Friday
  • bootssowhite
    bootssowhite Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Had an extra long workout this morning. A storm knocked over a tree next to my apartment last night, blocking the road. When I left for a run this morning, I was able to get around the tree (it was blocking cars, but not a person on foot), but when I got back, maintenance workers were cutting it up and no one was allowed in the area. So, even though I could see my apartment, I ended up having to take a twenty minute detour to get home. :D
  • biblebabe588
    biblebabe588 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    August 2
    Exercise:yes
  • cjscoey
    cjscoey Posts: 57 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Aug 3

Back on track today, weighed myself this morning and was already down 1lb of the two I gained. Just need to stay focused and stress less lol.
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Emma, 35 and living in London, UK. I've been a part of this challenge and the Gutbusters team since October last year and in that time have gone from 229lbs to 185lbs (heaviest was 235), and I guarantee that this group has been an important part of my loss and building my fitness. I'm getting married in less than a month so I have the best motivation in the world at the moment!

I have to apologise in advance for what will probably be an uninteractive month for me, as well as the wedding I'm also opening a large art gallery in central London in mid September (not how the timing was supposed to go when I started the job!) and so my time is precious little. I really enjoy chatting to the Gutbusters and sharing/asking for advice but if I'm not working then I'm doing wedmin! I'll be staying with you all past the wedding until the end of the year at the very least as I'm off on honeymoon in December so I need to keep working on reaching a my goal weight for that.

Great to see so many new faces and hi again to the returning Gutbusters. We did an amazing job in July, let's make August even better!
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Username: emmclean
    Weigh in week: Week 1
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous Weight: 185.6
    Todays Weight: 185.2

Not much but it's something, considering I went on my hen do last weekend I'm really pleased! Still hoping to hit 179 by the 1st September (wedding day) but my exercise routine has all but stopped which is slowing things down, I took my gym bag in every day this week and by 7pm realised that I hadn't stopped even for a lunch break and then had to get home to crack on with wedmin. Need to try and get up early and go before work I think, I used to really enjoy that but my brain is so busy during the day now I"m sleeping like a rock!
  • caitlynns727
    caitlynns727 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    August 2
    Exercise: 11k steps but no intentional exercise
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: Yes

August 3
    Exercise: 10k steps but no intentional exercise
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: Yes

Being in school makes it MUCH easier to stay under calories and get steps in. I'm running around all day and then coaching after so it's easier to be active. I also think I'm healed up enough for a run today! I'm only 3 days out from my wisdom tooth removal so I'm going to take it pretty easy.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    August 4
    Exercised?: Yes. Track setup and tear down.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Drone racing today. Time trial. Flew OK. Getting used to changes in equipment.

Apart from that, pretty normal weekend day (lots of little jobs to do round the house).

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for August 04 is lunges ()

3 sets
    • First set 10 or 15 each leg (if 10 is too easy continue to 15).
    • Second set 6 or 9 each leg.
    • Third set 5 or 8 each leg.
  • beachbunnydana
    beachbunnydana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Username : Beachbunnydana
    Weigh in week: 1
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    Previous weight: 197
    Today’s weight: 196
  • craigo3154
    Options
    cjscoey wrote: »
    Aug 3

Back on track today, weighed myself this morning and was already down 1lb of the two I gained. Just need to stay focused and stress less lol.

@cjscoey. Just remember weight loss/gain is never linear. Each day has different water levels.

The best strategy for me (after much trial and error) was to weigh daily, but only note the average of the last 7 days. When I did this, weight started to follow a linear path and would track what I had actually be doing with diet and exercise.

Weight management is not rocket science. Eat less than you use and you lose weight in the long run. The hard bit is estimating what you eat and what you use.

Calories in is not an exact science. Reported calories per serving can vary by as much as 10% even if you weigh the serving. Best we have is a good guestimation.

Calories out is also more art than science. The metabolism adapts to the available input and can do subtle things like reduce heating by a not noticeable amount, or implore you to move less. This is why tracking your progress over a long time is so important. This way you can calculate a closer TDEE than the guestimates from sites like MFP or SailRabbit (http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/).

Safest approach I found was to be conservative on output and generous on input. This way you tip the scales in your favor.

Eating satiety inducing foods (fat, protein, fibre laden carbohydrate) helps keep the input calories down without feeling like starving. Avoiding processed carbohydrate (anything that removes the fibre - juicing, husking, milling) can make a big difference. Plenty of high fat, high protein foods that are sweet. Whole fruit and vegetables (not juiced) is also good.

Best of fortune.
This discussion has been closed.