Looking for T2D's that have reversed diabetes using LCHF

Options

Replies

• rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes. Last A1C was 5.2. I follow low carb, moderate protein, healthy fat. I tend to lean toward Dr. Jason Fung's (which means I practice IF/EF as well) approach but read all the time and try to learn all I can on diet and diabetes.
  • nateman73
    nateman73 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My A1C was not good last visit. Added a new med to the metformin I take twice a day. Refocused now on cutting carbs. Average BS is 118 for the last week. Hoping to cut back on meds at Nov visit.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Reversed no, got it under control yes.
    Turns out I'm very carb sensitive & insulin resistant.
    Keto has helped me quite a bit.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    I don't think DM can be "reversed". Just put into "remission". I just call it "well managed" or "under control".

My DM2 (since 2005) is under excellent control (5% Club) with a "veganized" LCHF diet, 30 min per day of exercise, and meds (generic metformin ER).

I like the term "in recovery."
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I still like reversed. ;) Even the experts are starting to use the term.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/new-study-type-2-diabetes-can-reversed-ten-weeks-low-carb
  • Maesneuadd
    Maesneuadd Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I was strict on the lchf I was and to get normal bg and off meds for a year and a half. But I slipped and now am in a halfway house of needing metformin to keep my bloods satisfactiry
  • Dadof8
    Dadof8 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Dadof8 and I'm a carbaholic. I used to drink 2 to 3 20oz bottles of Coke a day. 3 weeks ago my Doc checked my A1C and it was 12.2 which calculates to a BG level of ~303! I started on a low carb diet that day and three weeks later my FBG level this morning was 92 and has been < 100 for the last six days. I'm currently on 1000mg of Metformin, my goal is to have my Doc say I can stop taking it at my next appointment in ~ 2 months. BMI has dropped from 34.6 to 32.8 and hopefully still falling.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Dadof8 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Dadof8 and I'm a carbaholic. I used to drink 2 to 3 20oz bottles of Coke a day. 3 weeks ago my Doc checked my A1C and it was 12.2 which calculates to a BG level of ~303! I started on a low carb diet that day and three weeks later my FBG level this morning was 92 and has been < 100 for the last six days. I'm currently on 1000mg of Metformin, my goal is to have my Doc say I can stop taking it at my next appointment in ~ 2 months. BMI has dropped from 34.6 to 32.8 and hopefully still falling.

Fantastic news! You've come along ways! ;) I bet you feel incredible!

Thank you for sharing your results, it inspires me to stay focused to get the results I want.
    I appreciate you <3
  • Dadof8
    Dadof8 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd say I feel incredible yet but I am feeling better. I think my body is still in shock and trying to figure out what I'm doing to it. I'm looking forward to the "Feel Incredible" stage but I'll take "Feeling Better" for now!.
  • KenMadere
    KenMadere Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What is diabetes definition?

Diabetes is a chronic, metabolic disease characterized by elevated levels of blood glucose (or blood sugar), which leads over time to serious damage to the heart, blood vessels, eyes, kidneys, and nerves. The most common is type 2 diabetes, usually in adults, which occurs when the body becomes resistant to insulin...

So, by definition, if you can lower you blood glucose to normal thru diet (what you eat), you can claim that you reversed diabetes. Of course the moment that you decide to return to old eating habits, your blood glucose with probably again become elevated and you would again be diabetic.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    KenMadere wrote: »
    What is diabetes definition?

Diabetes is a chronic, metabolic disease characterized by elevated levels of blood glucose (or blood sugar), which leads over time to serious damage to the heart, blood vessels, eyes, kidneys, and nerves. The most common is type 2 diabetes, usually in adults, which occurs when the body becomes resistant to insulin...

So, by definition, if you can lower you blood glucose to normal thru diet (what you eat), you can claim that you reversed diabetes. Of course the moment that you decide to return to old eating habits, your blood glucose with probably again become elevated and you would again be diabetic.

I have always preferred the term "in recovery" as opposed to "reversed." I have an A1C in the normal range - 5.4 - with no meds. I am definitely managing mine through diet though. It is not as if I have changed the underlying structure/systems.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have my macros set to 25p/25c/50f, but am most likely to go over on fat. I drop carbs even lower for a few days if I have something coming up or if I went over for a special meal, but that usually results in fewer calories, rather than more fat.

I am pretty careful about getting fiber, as well. So yesterday I had ~70g of carbs, but 20 some of it was fiber.

I also consider exercise an important component in my treatment plan. I recently upped my goals from a minimum of 20 minutes of cardio a day to 30 minutes. I usually get rather more movement in, but if I am not feeling it, I can push myself that far.

This plan has worked better for me than Ozempic did, at least partly because the Ozempic made me so miserable I was sleeping more, exercising less, and eating whatever I could stomach, rather than watching nutrition. I have also lost more weight than I did with the Ozempic over the same three month time span, probably because I am moving more.

I went off Metformin in June. Fasting bs this morning was 88. Follow up with the doctor is Monday and I fully expect my A1C to be normal.