Intros

Options
1234568»

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I just found this group today. I'm a triathlete and my longest to race date is a half Ironman (70.3). My first Ironman will be October 2015 in Louisville, KY. Great to 'meet' you!

Welcome, welcome. I'm hoping Lou gets more attention now that it's later in the year.
  • RoadkingDND
    RoadkingDND Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, an auditor. I started my quest in 2010, lost from a high of 343 to 216 by 2012. Since then, I have regained 40 pounds. So, it's time for a new quest: I will lose to my ideal weight of 190 and run a Sprint Triathlon in June of 2015. I could use a few MFP friends to encourage/be encouraged in meeting our goals.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    So glad to have discovered this group!

I'm a 34-year-old mom of 4, and up until this year had never done anything remotely athletic in my life. I smoked for years and never had to worry about my weight....until I quit smoking and took up ice cream instead. Anyhow, I completed the C25K program in March, ran my first 5K race in May, bought a road bike in July, and participated in my first sprint tri with my husband in September.

My next events will be my first 10K in March, followed by my first half marathon in May. I'm still on the fence about which tri(s) to do next summer, as I have a giant fear of open water to overcome between now and then.

• derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Back in the spring I weighed somewhere around 325lbs and decided to make a change.
    I started running/walking (even the Running was more a walk with a bounce) daily for a few weeks and the knees started to give out as I started increasing my intervals. Eventually I gave up running and soon found the bike. Over the course of the Summer and Fall I rode 2-3 times a week while eating better and Logging everything here on MFP and have lost a 130 lbs so far. I currently work with a bike coach 1 night a week and have a KK Rock and Roll trainer at home that I use another 2-3 nights a week. My Outdoor cycling season ended with a 75k ride up the Niagara escarpment and back again which was a major accomplishment for me as my first Ride of the Season ended at 5km and the legs gave out when I jumped of the bike at the end. That was 5km to 75km in about 8-10 weeks.

So Now I sit at 195 and have another 20-30 lbs to go. My weight loss is still pretty consistent around 2lbs a week So I am confident I will reach my Goal by the time the outdoor season gets back into swing.

Back to that Goal I set of being in the August 29, 2015 Triathlon. The time is now to start getting all the pieces in order. I am really here looking for as much information on what I need to do to Succeed. I have not decided on a distance yet and figure that will be one of my tasks over the winter as I train. Be it Sprint or Try-a-Tri I want my goal to be realistic and finish even if that means crawling across the finish line as the sun is setting and my wife and kids are the only ones left standing at the finish line.

So lets all turn the page and join me as I start the next chapter, I am excited to see how this ends up. Add me please I can use all the support I can get
  • Billydlyon1406
    Billydlyon1406 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!
    My name is Brian and I am 39 years old (turning 40 in 2 weeks :o ). I have been on a journey to get healthier for about 10 years and have been doing triathlons for 4 years now. My longest distance has been a half ironman completed in September 2013. Last year I was in a bike accident during my annual first tri of the year on May 17 and it really impacted my ability to train and achieve my goal of completing my first full iron distance race. I was able to plod through the year and did complete a few sprint distance races, but it was a big disappointment. I am an alcoholic and addict that has been clean and sober since July 8 2005. I made a commitment to complete an Ironman within 10 years. Looks like that wont happen but that is ok. Another goal I made was to get married in the same time frame and that will happen!!! I am getting married on June 7 this year, so that puts a wrench in my tri training. So for 2015 I am planning on completing as many sprint distance races as possible, maybe one each weekend, around my wedding and honeymoon. I quit drinking in 2005, and quit smoking in 2011, now I really need to lose some weight. Currently I am about 215 lbs. and would like to get under 190. I am 5'9 and stocky so even though that sounds heavy I have a lot of muscle mass due to working in construction most of my life. About 6 years ago I took a desk job and gained weight. I have been stuck at this weight for about 5 years and have struggled to loose it. I am willing to do what it takes but I could always use support, advice and accountability. I am very glad to be part of this group and will be sending some friend requests soon. Please feel free to send some my way too.
    Thanks for reading!
    B
  • Dave_Byrne
    Dave_Byrne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, Dave here from Dublin.
    Doing triathlons for about 12 years... 2011 was the peak where i did every distance possible in the same year.
    Twins arrived in 2013 making a family of 3 into 5 and life was turned upside down. Feels like we are getting a bit of normality back now so i have some races planned for this year and a target of losing the 25lbs i picked up in the past 3 years.
    I had worried i would ever get properly fit again because i just couldnt lose the weight. MFP has given me hope and optimism back!
    Let me know if ye need any advice on coming to ireland to holiday / train / race... or ironman tips. I can recommend some truly breathtaking races, and some great pubs too ;)
  • evozine
    evozine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am Neil (36) from Nottingham UK. I got into Triathlons in 2009 whilst trying to get rid of some excessive weight I had aquired in my late twenties and after doing a few local sprints in the first year went on to take part in 17 sprint Triathlons between 2010 and 2012. Then I got married, moved house and had a child (Well my wife did most of the hard work with that!) and the Tri's went out of the window... After xmas having put on a few pounds of baby sympathy weight I started training again and have my first tri in 3 years on Sunday.

I have had to massively adjust my training schedule due to the combination of work commitments and a baby but I am very much enjoying getting back in shape and especially getting back out on my bike.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. Bob here, a 47-year-old suburbanite dad in southern Massachusetts. I'm something of an accidental triathlete. After years of dedicated couch potatodom, I got some urging from Mrs. Bob and started running in August 2006. I trained for, and completed, the Boston Marathon in 2007. I say "completed" and not "ran" because my knees pretty much exploded around mile 17. After recovering, and starting to train again, it became apparent that I needed something else to do besides just running.

I knew swimming and biking were both good forms of exercise with much lower impact than running, so in 2008 I began doing triathlon. Sprints, nothing more. The thing is, I've never been much of a swimmer and I'm still not. So much so that open-water swimming, even in a completely still lake or pond, engendered full-on panic attacks. In July 2012, I had to bail right at the start of a lake tri, and it sent me into a tailspin that had me pretty much abandon any and all training while gaining over 30 lbs.

In the summer of 2013, I worked with a coach who specializes in helping people like me get over stuff like that. In September 2013, I completed my first non-panicked open-water swim. I'm still glacially slow in the water, but it's at least a bit less traumatic than it used to be.

All else being equal, I'd probably be a dedicated duathlete. I'm much more comfortable on the bike than in the water, and more comfortable still running. Alas, duathlons are still hard to come by, and I'd like to become a more proficient swimmer anyway, since that's something you can do pretty much forever.

I'm still riding my 2008 Cervelo P2SL -- the last of the aluminum Cervelos -- and hoping to complete at least two open-water sprint tris this season, with some degree of aplomb. At 5'6" and 150 lbs., I could probably weigh a bit less and perform better, but time will tell if I can get back to what we'll call race weight. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've been competing in triathlons for the last 6 or 7 years, I'm a solid age grouper who likes to pay to get free T shirts. I vividly remember watching Julie Moss in 1982 compete in Kona. I did NOT think "Hey, I totally want to do that!" but it must have planted some seed. So when I was training for an open water swim (St. Croix Buc to Buc 5 mile that sounded like a good idea at the time) I started adding some cross training of running and biking, entered a sprint and was 10 seconds from placing...well...

So here I am, competed in my first IM last year (Choo...the run will take you to a dark dark place, the bike is fast even if it was 116 miles, the swim faster) with a torn meniscus. Surgery cleaned that up but found damage to the cartilage and periosteum, well that put a damper on running. I'm doing a couple of Aqua Velos this year and then return to IM next year with IMMD, my mantra is "I will walk the *kitten* out of this marathon!"

When I'm not in the pool or on my bike I'm working for a large construction company or hanging out with my 2 kids (12 yo and 2 yo).

I too have a Cervelo aluminum road bike, I love that bike. No shame in quality aluminum and I'd take it over entry carbon and a couple extra grand any day.
  • sun_tzu
    sun_tzu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I have struggled with my weight all of my adult life. I started running 4 years ago taking it very slowly and still losing some time to typical injuries. Lost about 50 pounds through that and completed my first half marathon in 2014.

Suffered a job loss in late 2013 and was not working for over a year and I found about 30 of the pounds I had lost. I finally found a new gig in late 2014. Only down side is the gig is in NorCal and the family is in Oklahoma. Have been commuting for about 6 months now where I work for 5-6 weeks, then return home for 10-14 days. A far less than ideal situation for my family, but it is what we have to do to pay the bills right now.

When I am in NorCal, I fill my free time with training and reading. I started on MFP about 3 months ago and everything finally makes sense for losing weight. Between MFP and triathlon training, I have managed to lose 40 pounds so far, I want to lose another 15.

I am very much a tri noob. I did a Sprint in 2013 and had a good time. I also did a Duathlon in 2014, but was not in a good place mentally or physically so I did not enjoy it much. I am currently training for an Olympic at the end of August and my motto is very much "Complete" instead of "Compete". I swim as well as a well-rounded manhole cover, but I enjoy the bike and run and will not let my weakness in swimming keep me out of the tri.

I am very budget restricted so my horse is a hand-me-down road bike a friend bought online. When he upgraded, he gave me this and it is an upgrade over what I had, nothing. Not much fun doing a tri on a borrowed bike. I posted a ramble in the 'Does your bike have a name?' thread about naming her this morning.

I found this group yesterday and especially enjoyed the Rules. Hope everyone is having a great season and I will probably be posting some queries in the weeks leading up to my Olympic.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Howdy.

I decided years ago to run a tri sprint after watching some friends compete. I accomplished that task but then life hit with a series of family medical issues. Those were hard years, but I think much of that is past now, my kids are well into their teens and I am ready to get back in the saddle. First, however, I have to drop some pounds and getting in shape will be slow and steady. I know lots of folks can do this in six or twelve weeks. That is not my program. My goal's are a bit more conservative. The large goal right now is to run a Sprint in the spring - I am targeting March, but it may be April depending on meet availability and my schedule. Longer term I may try an Olympic distance one day and would love to find some folks to run a tri-team one day. I don't currently have any plans to run anything more (e.g., half or full). (I also want to do a zombie run and maybe a mudder or spartan type race, but TriSprint first).

Me. I'll be 48 in August, am 5'7ish and a classic endomorph. I can pack on weight (adipose or muscle) rather quickly, but dropping pounds is a knife fight. I am about 250 now, but want to get out of the Clydesdale class well before the first roll. It is do-able and I am already on my way with a healthy eating plan and daily exercise and have been consistent since mid June - short, I know, but long enough to have built the habit into my routines and genuinely looking forward to my workouts. More, long enough to know I want to do the TriSprint. (I actually started working out for me and only decided after much thought to set the Tri goal in stone in the last couple of weeks).

My basic plan is to keep working the weight loss while building the cardio and strength base. I intend to assess where I am in November and adapt my workouts towards an actual Tri. I also plan to run some form of 5K well before the first tri just as a warm up. I am currently slowly progressing on the treadmill; I do 30 minutes each day with a slow progression to increase speed/distance. I added a stationary bike and when I get comfy enough, I will get back out on my road bike. I will add swimming last as it is my absolute favorite so I get to keep it as a goal. I also know from experience that I can tune that up very quickly.

I went looking for a Tri group here because I remember enough to know that I don't know poop. For example, I added stationary bike to my routine last week and realized I don't recall correct leg extension or cadence. I am finding seat height by feel and been trying to keep my cadence around 65 for now. But, the point is I have no sound basis for those decisions. I hope to learn from the experience of others.

I am fairly new to MFP - joined in mid June. If anyone is interested in adding a rook as a friend, I'd sure appreciate it. Just add a quick note with your request so I don't overlook. Again, I hope by following news feeds of the experienced, that I will learn and I am very open minded to others constructive criticisms (I may not agree, but certainly give thorough thought to those trying to be helpful).

Anyway, glad to be here and looking forward to my journey and some new friends. Hope to even run a few with some of ya one day. Right now, I would be mainly in the SE US (NC, SC, Va) but eventually hope to branch out and do a bit of touring. I know I want to run at least one event in Pittsburgh (oh my, those hills though) and maybe even something Internationally just for the fun of it - like maybe a nice trip to the UK to do a race, watch a rugby match or two, and have a yard or two of ale.

Steve

• wmeyerbill455
    wmeyerbill455 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Bill and just getting started. Better late than never I am 50+, live in central IL, USA and never was much of a runner but love to Bike and all things aquatic, swimming, windsurfing, scuba you name it. So, I thought I could work on my running and that is what I am doing. You are NOT Kidding about that Bike to run transition. I thought I was going to Die in the first mile. My calves felt like fire! Ugh. I was hooked from that point on and I am still in training. I love sports that make you hurt or more specifically present complicated physical challenges to figure out requiring the mind and body. I'm registered for my 1st sprint Tri in April. I train 6 days a week, use the Polar V800 to track it all.

I am very much looking forward to learning from all of you more experienced MFP triathletes. Thanks for having this forum.
  • JB_DBS
    JB_DBS Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    10 years ago I finished IM Madison. It was a horrible day of wet/windy conditions. I finished but it was brutal. I quit triathlons and fell way out of shape. I was at 230 on race day and I'm 5'11" so I wasn't exactly svelte even then. This fall I hit my crisis weight of 245 and figured I needed a kick in the pants. I probably over-committed, but I signed up for a 10 year anniversary run of IM Madison. Now I'm paying for it. My run is coming along pretty well. Swimming is so so, but I was a HS swimmer, so my technique is at least reasonable. The bike is my weak point. I live in central IA, so there are no hills that compare to the course that I know of that aren't on gravel roads. I'm using TR as much as I can to get quality, but I'm still a horrible FTP of 206 (up from 195) last fall. I'm now 15 weeks out and I'm going crazy. My weight is down to 224 and my diet is mostly under control. I have a half marathon in early June, a flat 70.3 race in July and the IM in September. Wish me luck! I need it.
  • mcbluesky
    mcbluesky Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am Mike from Charlotte, NC. Completed a couple of sprints over the past few years. Using Tri training to improve physical condition and much needed weight loss. Working on swimming technique in hopes of completing OLY's in the near future. Outer Banks OLY is on my target list as well as White Lake Fall Intl.
  • dlinace
    dlinace Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started my triathlon journey last summer. Some coworkers and I decided to do a sprint relay, i was the bike rider. We did pretty well and after another relay toward the end of the season I decided I really wanted to try the whole event on my own. I bought a wetsuit at the second event and started training from the point forward. I did the "learn to swim a mile" app, then I did it again, and again. I also trained through another app called 1stTimeTri. The winter was a perfect time to get ready for race day. During the winter I also bought a pretty decent road bike. Last month I completed my first super sprint (200, 7, 2), and placed 4th over all. Next month I have my second (400, 6.5, 2), followed by at least one per month through August.

I love this sport. I love the fact that it's hard, that most of it is training and thinking. I love the anticipation of race day and the thought of a PB. I love the people who love this sport. The genuine way they talk and want to help one another. And I love wondering what my ultimate limit is.
  • DadBodClub
    DadBodClub Posts: 199 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi,

Tony (38) from IL here. I've done 2 Tri's and 1 Du and really enjoyed the training and experience. I had knee surgery in November 16 and haven't fully recovered. Running is a bit of an issue unfortunately. I still am biking a ton and doing some elliptical.

Would love to train again for more Tri's and openly invite any of you to add me. Looking forward to the support and motivation, especially getting in the pool at 5:30 a.m.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I’m 55, 6’0”, 215 lbs and have been triathlon training for a year. I’ve done 3 sprint triathlons and just finished my first olympic distance event. Cycling is my strong suit because of my strong legs and background as a matched spint bicycling competitor. Running is my weak suit, simply because of weight. I’m running a 6’45” mile currently, but I have found that difficult to sustain for longer distances.

I have lost about 50 lbs since starting a year ago. Still, 215 lbs at 18% body fat is far too heavy. If my calculations are correct (lean body mass of 177) 8% body fat would be 192 or somewhere thereabout. Still heavy for triathlons, I know. But I like the training and I like the people, and I’m getting in the best shape of my life, so even if I’m not on the podium I’m having fun.
  • docsallen
    docsallen Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm Shannon and from NJ. I am a runner who first became interested in tri's to make me a better runner - specifically, avoid injury, etc. I've done 3 Sprint Tri's and surprised myself by really enjoying the training and experience. I would love to do an Olympic next year - I need to get out of my head when it comes to the swim, first though.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Hi Shannon! Get in to pool this winter way more than you want to - those laps do the most for me come summer!