Introduce Yourself!

Options

Replies

• Angel1960
    Angel1960 Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hello - I'm Angela and just finished my first month on Keto. At this point, I've lost 16 pounds and I'm feeling better than I have in a very long time! YAY for Keto! I have a LOT of weight to lose and I'm 58 so this will be an uphill battle. With such good results in the first month, I do have hope but it's also probably not realistic to expect to lose that much every month. Even so, as long as I'm losing and not gaining it back, it's all good! This will be a definite change in lifestyle because I know I am a sugar addict and simply cannot handle what sugar does to my body any more. Several of my 1st cousins also have Celiac Sprue (gluten intolerance) and even though I don't have their symptoms, I certainly do feel better when I'm not eating gluten products. Thanks for starting this group!
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Greetings! Day 7 of keto, and down four pounds (which is likely mostly water weight, but I'll take my successes relating to weight loss where I can grab them). Today I made my first keto dessert, which was a hit, though I'll be tweaking it a bit for next time (sort of a strawberry cheesecake pudding with no sweeteners, but I don't want to post a recipe until I make some improvements). I've been lucky that, when I mentioned this to some colleagues (during a group meal, they saw me having a bunless cheeseburger, and subbing veggies for fries), it turns out a bunch of them have done keto, and had some great tips (supplements, keto sticks, one is letting me borrow a cookbook, etc). I feel a bit late to the party!

I have 36 pounds to go, and hope to be into maintenance mode by the holidays. I chose keto because it looked closest to what I like to eat naturally; I can give up bread and rice if that means I can continue with the meat, cheese and some vino (I'm currently aiming for 30 net carbs a day, so some wine can fit in with this). So far, so good; I haven't had any keto flu or major sugar cravings, though I notice a feeling in my stomach, especially right after meals... not good or bad, just different.

Last month I restarted strength building workouts, which include HIIT and Muay Thai, and can already feel a difference. I used to have nice muscle tone due to boxing, which I stopped five years ago due to having too much else going on (less than a year after is when the pounds started piling on). It's like my body remembers what it's supposed to do, and is already making more muscle. It feels good to be strong again.

Anyway, looking forward to interacting more with all of you as I continue on!
  • mzak21
    mzak21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, my name is Linda. I did Keto in the past and actually saw a great deal of weight loss . Then I fell off and started gaining . I need to get back on track. I really felt great on Keto and loved how I looked. I looking for encouragments, tips and people to do this with.
    Today is Day 1!
  • Dees_Living
    Dees_Living Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Dee and today is my Day 1 of the Keto Diet. My goal is to lose about 30-40lbs. I've tried numerous diets, none of which really worked for me.
  • aceynar
    aceynar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is my day one of keto, too! I had some scrambled eggs in butter for breakfast and a spinach salad with chicken for lunch. So far, so good... I have 45 lbs to lose, so I'm excited to kick off this new life style!
  • Meggsterrx3
    Meggsterrx3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Megan, I live in NY & just like the stereo type goes, I live a ridiculously busy lifestyle. My story isn't too different than the ones I read before. Carb filled meals make me sick, I never knew until I started keto & I now that I know, I hate it. I've started and stopped keto a few times during the past year, but my first run I dropped 30 lbs, felt amazing and really looked great for my wedding this past January. I am starting keto again day 1 today, because I am sick of feeling sick, I miss the energy & really enjoyed the will power to fast.
    I'm hoping joining a group to talk about it will help, my wife doesn't eat a keto diet and so it does makes it a little harder for me. Looking forward to sharing recipes and getting inspiration!
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm Crystal and am in the research phase right now, so I'm trying to read everything I can and get this started in the next week. Carbs are my downfall and it has been so easy to go over my calorie goal.
    This way of eating is basically how my mom raised me before Atkins and low carb was the fad. Not looking forward to the Keto Flu though!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I was not eating a lot of carbs anyway (other than beer) so this wasn't a huge change for me. I felt a bit of low energy and lightheaded for several days but it seemed to get better when I increased my salt intake.
  • kencanion
    kencanion Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I am Ken. I started Keto 5 months ago because I wanted to get leaner. The diet works and the foods taste good. I dropped 25 lbs. Now, I want to get more serious and drop 30 more. Heart disease runs in family and I want to avoid that
  • rcm89
    rcm89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Claire, 29 yr old female. Started Keto in June and already about 12lbs down with about 20ish more to go.
    Classic yo-yo dieter, had been ok for the last few years but then slipped two discs in my back (thanks crossfit) and only just fully recovered, a lot of takeaway pizzas later and had a lot of extra padding.
    I was already paleo so Keto wasn't a huge adjustment just cut out high carb fruit and veg and added in dairy, but have to say it is much easier to stick to. The big difference being the satisfaction from eating cheese again!! It was mentally hard to get my head round adding a bit of parmesan or feta to my meals or snacking on a babybel (lifesaver snack btw) and still losing weight but now feels like a fair sacrifice for the carbs!

Hoping I can stick with this for a long time as don't feel deprived and have had a few small cheats (1 biscuit, 1/2 a slice of cake, too much red wine etc. never a whole pizza or anything) along the way but kept losing at a steady 1-2lbs a week. My body has changed a lot for the better even though I've only been going to the gym 2-3 times a week for strength and pilates for rehab.

My favourite Keto tips:
    - Don't over think it, it's just normal food without the potato/rice/bread/pasta
    - Babybels - always have one on hand (the European ones that are just 100% cheese)
    - Always have cooked chicken and spinach in the fridge
    - Bacon, eggs and spinach fried in butter is a great meal any time of day
    - Still eat berries if you want to get your fruit fix, just not every day
    - Magnesium and water should be staples (helps with constipation too!)
    - Shots have no carbs!
    - Cheese wrapped in pepperoni (melted or cold) is a great pizza substitue!

Good luck to everyone!
  • lacerka963
    lacerka963 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    nancebox7 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, my name is Nix and hubby and I are starting Keto for the first time today. We are excited and looking forward to it. I have tons of weight to lose and hubby only a small amount. We are not hooked on sugar so we think this diet will be good for us. However, I am a salt carb addict and will need to stem my cravings for snacks that are fried and salty. Any tips would be most welcomed. We have read alot about this diet on various sites and seems like they contradict each other alot. Guess we will have to just work it out ourselves based on what works for us. Happy to find kindred spirits to chat with. Please provide any tips you think important. Good luck everyone with your struggles.........

You don't have to give up your fried and salty... You actually need to increase your salt while you begin so you don't get the dreaded keto flu... Also you need 70 to 75% fat for this so choose your favorite healthy oil you can make cheese chips you can make any kind of chips just not with potatoes... There's many recipes that are keto friendly just Google keto chips recipes and I bet you you would find a lot... Welcome aboard and look forward to seeing your success
  • Jkyzab
    Jkyzab Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Jen and I'm about to start the Keto Diet tomorrow. I have done a lot of research about it and heard and seen a lot of success stories about how the Keto diet help with weight loss, improve moods and lower graving. After much thought, I decided to do the Keto diet. I am still having trouble with my macros and adjusting the protein, fat, and carbohydrates around since on here and on another website, it gives me different numbers for it. I am hopeful that this diet helps me lose weight and control my cravings for sweets and salty foods.
  • julistehr
    julistehr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I have been back and forth with keto for several weeks, but have yet to get into ketosis. I usually fall off the wagon by the weekend! But, I'm trying again this week with a different start, I fasted for day 1 only eating 500 calories for dinner. I hope this kicks me into ketosis a bit faster so I start to feel the burn! I am sadly the heaviest I have ever been and have a long weight loss journey ahead of me. Hoping this group will help motivate me!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Salutations, Everyone...I'm Teresa. I've been doing keto for two weeks (the first week was more of a learning process while I figured out calories, carbs, fat, protein, etc...the second week, I think I had a better handle on it). I've lost 10lbs, more importantly I've lost 1" from my hips, and 2" from my waist, so far! I am really excited by the progress already, though I know this will slow down as time wears on...

I never had trouble with my weight until I turned 35...my age combined with my profession (I'm a chef) was trouble...My weight creeped up until I reached my highest-ever weight. I quit my job, and found a new one with the regional food bank (so in love with my job, it ain't funny lol), and now have better work/life balance to focus a bit of time on myself and getting healthy (and thinner, dammit...!)

My goal is a comfortable size 8, as I am a very snug size 14 now...I don't care what my scale says once this is all said and done, provided my Levi's fit!

Keto has been a much easier eating plan to stick to, and enjoy -a life without bacon and butter just isn't worth living, lol! I have a doctor's appointment in mid-September, so I am looking forward to getting my labs drawn to make sure I am healthy on the inside, too. I've had fun playing with recipes, and experimenting with coconut flour, as well as learning about the science behind keto.

I'm looking forward to checking out the threads here to learn more about the ups and downs of keto, and learning how others cope with some of the struggles, and especially new recipes to try!
  • rsclause
    Options
    I think keto will be a great fit for you. I always think of what a chef on TV said "fat equals flavor". I can have all the good fat, meat and with some limits veggies I want. Bread and potatoes are difficult to fit in any diet anyway.
  • elfkinbaby
    elfkinbaby Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Marilee and I started Keto 16 days ago. So far so good minus a few days with a terrible headache. I Started keto for blood sugar reasons. I had them under control and was doing great the beginning of the year but from March to June I gained about 20 lbs... I started all my old habits again. Trying to not let that happen again this time, and the concept fits well into what the men in my life like to eat for dinner anyways. Btw- I have had perfect blood sugars every since day four!
  • rsclause
    Options
    elfkinbaby wrote: »
    Hi! My name is Marilee and I started Keto 16 days ago. So far so good minus a few days with a terrible headache. I Started keto for blood sugar reasons. I had them under control and was doing great the beginning of the year but from March to June I gained about 20 lbs... I started all my old habits again. Trying to not let that happen again this time, and the concept fits well into what the men in my life like to eat for dinner anyways. Btw- I have had perfect blood sugars every since day four!

It took me about a month to feel settled in on keto. I was struggling to run without frequent walk breaks. I was not sure if it was the change in diet or that I was just starting to run regularly again. My weight and beer gut are shrinking. This week I have been able to run 4.3 miles without walking so I feel like I am over the hump. Enjoying everything about keto at this point. Total loss since 7/10 is 15 pounds and I am enjoying not counting calories. I eat when I am hungry.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm Jeremy.

I got serious about Keto at the end of June not to just lose weight but to help with inflammation and migraines as I've got several things ranging from metabolic issues, autoimmune issues, arthritis, and lifelong chronic pain and migraines.

June 28th I weighed an even 280. This morning I'm 241.6 so I'd say it's working so far. Migraines have eased up a bit and the inflammation especially in my hands has lessened a bit. Pain levels are about the same but perhaps that'll change eventually. I'm one of those invisible illness folks who appear healthy on the outside because I've spent my entire life hiding it from nearly everyone but it's bad enough now that I'm basically a recluse except on good days and those are few and far between nowadays.

Because I'm severely mobility limited most of the time I've always eaten a somewhat calorie restricted diet averaging somewhere around 1250 - 1500 calories most days before keto. I've cut it to around 1000 and some days it's even less with two or three days where I've gone over but never hitting my net carb limit. As I've previously had heart issues, kidney issues, heat stroke, etc when I was in my early 20s and a host of other things I've always stayed hydrated. I've never been binge eater and I seldom feel the need to grab a small snack so frankly this has been a cake walk so far. Plus, I'm never hungry now. I didn't even realize yesterday that I did a 24 hour fast until dinner last night.

Before Keto my go-to snacks were already things like pickles, chicharrón, and kimchi - yeah, I'm weird, too. Never been a sweets eater. Oh, and I love black coffee. I think the only things I'll miss are corn tortillas and fried rice. But I can still have my carnitas when I feel well enough to make a batch.

• LMSCROGG
    LMSCROGG Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is LaToya and I am returning to MFP. I have been wanting to try the keto lifestyle and have several co-workers who are working the plan and it is going very well for them. I do have some hesitation because I do not do dairy or eggs (and a few other things). I look forward to learning and my husband is on-board and very supportive! I also have PCOS so if any of you ladies have PCOS and have been successful with keto - please share your story with me!!!!
  • KatieeM14
    KatieeM14 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello I’m Kaitlyn! I started keto back in January and lost 20 pounds the first two months. Unfortunately after that I fell off the keto diet. I started back up about a month ago, but sadly not seeing any results so any suggestions and tips would be great!