Progress Report

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    My Starting Weight: ~375 lbs (01/01/2017)
    My goal: 260 lbs (this would put me below the 40 BMI mark for being morbidly obese or stage 3 obese)
    Milestone: 260 lbs
    Current Weight: 272.7 lbs 9/06/18
    Loss this week: 4.8 lbs
    Total loss: -102.3 lbs

What's Working: I have no idea, but I'll take it! It was a relief to see that total loss go back above 100! I don't think I really lost nearly 5 lbs this week, especially as I know I'm still being sloppy with my recording and over-eating past my calorie limit, and my activity hasn't really gone up. I was rather surprised to see this because also, its been very hot and humid here, which plays havoc with my sleep schedule, not to mention the slight insomnia I'm experiencing with the new medication PLUS the head cold I've been dealing with all week. I had thought that would lead up to water retention because it usually does, but apparently not this week. TOM did make his appearance at the beginning of this week, so that explains part of it, but I don't usually see that big of a jump during that time of life, either.

Perhaps the new medication is working? I know that I feel slightly more alert; at least, I'm not catching myself falling asleep at my desk. I haven't gotten that massive energy boost the doctor claimed I would get, and I still feel a little brain fogged, but not as badly. However, this mediation was supposed to lead to just not being hungry, but that hasn't really been the case. Though come to think of it, this week, while I did have to fight the hunger drive to just eat, I can see where it wasn't quite as strong AND I didn't hit those absolutely ravenous periods.

What Needs Work: Same old same old - need to tighten up logging and quit snacking and figure out how to get the energy of an evening to boost my willpower and tell myself no. Need more exercise. Etc.
  • PloddingTurtle
    PloddingTurtle Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Doing great, @bmeadows380. I'm doing the (low key because I'm at work) fist pump of success for you while reading your post. Go you!
  • bullchifrench123
    bullchifrench123 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My Starting Weight: ~ 447 (July 2017)
    My goal: short term - 300 lbs; long term - 150 lbs
    Milestone: N/A
    Current Weight: 401
    Loss this week: N/A
    Total loss: ~ 45 pounds

What’s working: calorie counting and getting up and moving more. Before when I prepared supper for example. I’d sit the whole time while chopping onions etc. Now I stand most the time. I try to do at least a little cardio every night. Can’t wait to get back to walking when it gets cooler. Plus I’m logging my food better. Weighing etc. Plus what has helped is MyFitnessPal family. They really hold me accountable and encourage and inspire me.

What needs work: more vegetables. I need more patience and not expect instant results. It’s hard because I don’t have a scale for one. So I don’t know if I’m losing anything or not. Just haven’t had the extra funds to buy one yet.
  • stormtheworld
    stormtheworld Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My Starting Weight: 357 (September 26, 2017)
    My goal: 180 lbs (might update when I get this far)
    Milestone: 240 lbs - just hit BMI of 39.9 this morning
    Current Weight: 240 lbs
    Loss this week: 2.8 lbs
    Total loss: 117 lbs

What's working: Prelogging at least 1 day in advance at dinnertime the night before. It helps take the temptation away the following day because I know exactly what I am eating and there isn't much wiggle room otherwise. I have been trying to get at least 45min of walking in each day in addition to my regular moving. Managed to bring my average steps per day from 5500 to 12000 over the course of the last year. Having my husband doing this with me for support has made me keep on track and bring out my competitive nature. Thankfully he started at 400lbs so he knows my struggles all to well, although he has now surpassed me in total weight lost.

What needs work: My love of chocolate and using it to fill my calories to the max everyday after I hit my protein goals. I am sure this isn't helping my rate of loss at all and it is starting to make me anxious that as I continue to loose the amount of calories in the day as the weight goes down chocolate may have to go away.
  • PloddingTurtle
    PloddingTurtle Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Nice work @jst1986.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    My goal: 260 lbs (this would put me below the 40 BMI mark for being morbidly obese or stage 3 obese)
    Current Weight: 282.3 lbs 10/18/18
    Loss this week: -- lbs
    Total loss: -92.7 lbs

What's Working/What Needs Work: well, whatever little kick I had at the beginning of September fizzled out really quick :( I've gained almost 10 lbs this month, and its devastating and so very discouraging. The medication apparently isn't working after all, so the only benefit I have from it is that I'm not as sleepy headed. But I still have major depressive episodes, I'm still hungry, I still have no energy, and I can't seem to find any will power. And I'm terrified - this is what happened in 2012, when I lost 90 lbs back then: I lost weight steadily for about a year, then plateaued, then slowly started gaining again. I have no idea what switch clicked on to get me to losing weight, and I have no idea how it got switched back off or how to switch it back on! I've tried going lower carb, I've tried taking diet breaks, I've tried intermittent fasting, and none of it has worked for me. I feel ravenous all the time even when I know I'm not physically hungry, and I've lost the willpower to tell myself no.

I have no energy and I feel like I have no time, and what with my horrible work life--I come home every day from my job feeling humiliated, useless, depressed, and absolutely exhausted, and with my willpower dead by the time evening comes, I can't get myself to exercise. I hate it with a passion and cant' find anything that catches my interest that I can maintain or afford. there isn't much available around my local area; the closest public pool is the YMCA that is over 45 minutes from here. I'm not out of the office until after 4 pm most days, and since I live in WV with the rural mountain roads, that 45 minute drive can be quite chancy to drive, especially of an evening, in winter. I see advertisements in the newspaper for various exercise classes, but they are all in the same area as the pool and they are all during the workday; there is nothing set up in the evenings for working folks :( Exercise never leaves me feeling energized or upbeat; even forcing myself to take a walk just leaves me tired and makes my flat feet hurt, even though I'm using walking shoes designed for flat feet. Many folks talk about how when they exercise, even when they don't start out feeling like it, that that end up feeling better when they are done, more energized, and more upbeat. I don't get that ever when i exercise. Exercise for me is always a test of willpower to force myself to do something I detest, to force myself to keep moving forward to the minimum time, and the end is only relief that I can quit; I get no positive feelings from exercise at all, and with my current struggles with depression and defeat at my job, my mental and emotional fortitude is just gone.

I hate to be coming here constantly with negativity and defeat; I just don't' know what to do to finally start succeeding again. I'm terrified that I'm going to just keep going in the opposite direction!
  • CheezWhiz88
    CheezWhiz88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 don’t apologize for coming and sharing your struggles. I am having them too. I have been doing intermittent fasting and staying off the scale. I expected to see a nice change when I finally stepped on. Well that day was today, and the change was 0. Absolutely nothing. Weeks of counting calories, using my food diary, passing up every dessert that came my way (even the ones that looked exceptionally delicious), exercising, being wonderful about not partaking in any Halloween candy, not eating out at all, only drinking water... and not a single change. So I got really upset and cried. And then after the tears subsided, I got really angry. But I have decided to re-evaluate. Because if I let my emotions dictate my actions, I will be elbow deep in a bowl of Halloween candy and hating myself an hour later. Something isn’t working and it’s possible it’s too few calories. It’s possible fasting isn’t for me. I think all we can do when we hit that road block is come here because maybe it will keep us on the course, and remind us that we all struggle. It doesn’t mean we are failing- it just means we have to figure out what we can do better, and know we aren’t on this journey alone. Chin up, we will beat this because we want it more.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @CheezWhiz88 Thank you :) What is so incredibly frustrating for me is that I can't figure out what changed. I'm doing the same things I was before, and its like my body has suddenly decided to stop cooperating. My calorie limit is 1500. The calculators I look at put someone at my age and weight somewhere between 1400 and 1600 for losing 2lbs/week. Now I never manage to stick to the 1500, but i figure by using that as my limit, I should at least stay within a 1 lb/week range, right? And the 1500 is obviously supposed to be a healthy limit for a healthy rate of loss. Only I can't seem to lose a single lb, even staying within 1,000 calories of that 1500.

I guess I'm taking in more than I think i am, but I have no idea where. I know I don't get enough sleep, and I've been eating out lately more than I eat in, but I can't figure out how to change my schedule to allow for more sleep. And even eating out, I keep a close eye on calorie counts, and go for lean meats and salads. By the time I get home its usually late, and then add in cooking time, clean up time, trying to get my chores done time, I feel like I don't have any time left to do anything, and I'm usually so danged exhausted that I don't get anything else accomplished anyway. I hate how much of my life is taken up by my job, but I can't do anything about that, even though I desperately would like to get out of my job. There is just no opportunity within my company or in this area for anything decent paying, and I'm already strapped and at my financial limit because of moving twice on my own dime for the company. Most companies I've seen wont' pay relocation anymore, and frankly, I really dont' want to move anyway.

In truth, my job is a huge contributor to most of my problems, especially my depression, but I feel trapped with no options to do anything about it.

but I can sympathize with your getting upset and crying - I'm nearly there myself! I've been watching that scale slowly climb for the past month, and I tried to convince myself that it was just water weight, and even now I can't see where on earth I was overeating that much to actually gain 10 lbs in 6 weeks - that's 1,000 calories over maintenance, and I can't see where I've been taking in anywhere near 2,000 calories over my calorie goal at all!

My endo finally admitted my thyroid levels are messed up, so maybe that's contributing, but you'd think that after being on new medication for 3 weeks now, that things should have been leveling off. The Welbutrin is supposed to help not only with depression, but with hunger, and its not working. I really don't know what else to do.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I feel a little better this morning; I stepped on the scale and was down 2 lbs from yesterday's weight, so apparently, I was retaining water yesterday. Still higher than I'd like and higher than my lowest weight, but just seeing that second number back as a "7" instead of an "8" made a world of difference to me!
  • Rocky_Runa
    Rocky_Runa Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    03qhoh3uxm78.jpeg
    ymu34hajr006.jpeg
    qbmu8bs1f030.jpeg
    u9m4l8efoggb.jpeg

@bmeadows380 I TOTALLY hear you!! I jumped about 10 pounds this week! Whatever switch flipped in my head that allowed me to “stay on plan” for almost 6 weeks somehow got kicked back and I can NOT deal!! My whole life has been like that... bouncing back and forth. Constantly losing the will power to commit. I had a job that sucked the life out of me, too. But I finally agreed with my psychiatrist to leave after I woke up from a suicide attempt temporarily paralyzed. I am now on disability, but let me tell you... I wish I could go back to work. My body never took well to medications - for depression or sleep. When I took Wellbutrin, it worked for a week... then stopped killing the hunger. Some meds worked for a year or two, but never stayed functional longer than that. I now have horrendous side effects to most of the meds doctors try. The one med they found that helps me get out of bed and function (for now) raises my baseline heart rate... making it hard to exercise. Doc tried a new BP med that was a beta blocker to counteract heart rate and I was in the hospital after a few days with a BP if 250/200... so much for that new med.

So, I hear you. I just spent every cent I had saved for car insurance and blew it in two different home work out programs. So, we’ll see how that goes. Bought new tennis shoes for the first time in almost 8 years as a reward for finishing my first virtual race. My knees and back killed me walking in my old shoes, so I took many breaks and didn’t finish within my goal date, but it’s the first thing I finished in a long time.

Runa

• bmeadows380
    Options
    Congratulations on the accomplishment, @RunaMarti ! You have an interesting medal there! lol The new tennis shoes are nice! Hope they break in easy and give you the support you need without pain!

thankfully, my problems at my job have not gotten me quite to that point yet. I'm not having any side effects from the Wellbutrin other than mild insomnia, but it seems that its apparently not doing anything other than helping me be more alert during the day. I do seriously wish I could quit my job, but unfortunately, I'm single and I have bills to pay, so there is no backup plan in place. I cannot afford to move again, not that I really want to, anyway as I'm finally back home where I want to stay, but this is a rural area with old fashioned folks still in charge who like it rural, which means economic development gets stifled and so there aren't a whole lot of opportunities here for other jobs. In fact, one of hte better employers in the area has recently announced its closing its facility here and relocating the jobs to other centers in a bid to centralize their operations, so 130 people are losing their jobs. The companies announced they will be hiring 90 people to fill those positions in the other facilities, so at best, even if they were willing to relocate, that means 40 folks would be out of a job anyway. Nice, huh?
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Current Weight: 279.6 lbs 11/01/18
    Loss this week: -2.7 lbs
    Total loss: -95.4 lbs

What's Working/What Needs Work
    : I don't consider that an actual loss, even though it is almost 3 lbs down from 2 weeks ago, because the very next day after recording the weight 2 weeks ago, I weight pretty much what I weight today, so in reality, this is probably a net zero. *sigh* I'll keep struggling and just maybe I'll get out of this slimy mud hole I seem to be caught in.......
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! So hubby and I are back from vacation. We had been planning this for over a year and had an amazing time! We went on a cruise with 6 other couples for 7 days to 5 different islands. We were VERY active, walking, swimming, dancing every day and night. I have never tracked as many steps. But even with that I came back 14 lbs. heavier. I know a lot of it is water weight. We had an 8 hour airplane ride home. But we did indulge, a lot. We tasted all the local food - sometimes twice, and drank a lot. When you're on an island, you drink! I'm back under 50lbs lost. And I'm very disappointed in myself.

Here's the kicker, if I were to leave on vacation again today, there is very little I would do different. The only think I would consciously do is order skinny latte's every morning, vs. a regular one (I don't know why I didn't think of it until the last day of vacation...). I know the end result of my bad habits, and yet, I wouldn't change it! I knew that I could've started my meals with a large salad and thought about it, but didn't. I could have had a glass of water before eating, but I didn't! I knew I didn't need seconds or to fill my plate so much that I needed 2 plates, but I did anyway! I have figured out a way to be compliant when I am on a routine -like at work or home-, but when I'm out of my routine, I have zero will-power, or I don't care, or I don't know what. Why can't my health be more important to me than the food in front of me?
    -Frustrated, disappointed and scared that everything I have done, and will do, can so easily be undone...
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    .....I have figured out a way to be compliant when I am on a routine -like at work or home-, but when I'm out of my routine, I have zero will-power, or I don't care, or I don't know what. Why can't my health be more important to me than the food in front of me?
    -Frustrated, disappointed and scared that everything I have done, and will do, can so easily be undone...

@cnavarro002 Oh, I understand how feel, and you have my deep sympathies. I'm dealing with something similar - I can't get back on track no matter how hard I try to be firm with myself; by the time evening comes around, my will power is shot. And I've seen in a few instances in the last 2 months, how very, very easy it is to give in and find myself gorging myself on way too much food. It is very scary to realize how easy it is to fall back into old habits! Whoever said new habits could be formed in 28 days really had no idea what they were talking about.......
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Current Weight: 277.8 lbs 11/29/18
    Loss this week: -1.8 lbs
    Total loss: -97.2 lbs

What's Working/What Needs Work: okay, this I think I might be able to count as actual loss, finally! This week, I decided to try something different to hopefully jump-start myself again. I've decided to do a version of intermittent fasting 2 days a week. On Tuesday and today, I am cutting my calories down to between 500 and 800. The rest of the week, I'm hoping to have my normal 1500. I'm rather hopeful, considering I saw what I think is a legitimate loss. I was able to hold myself to 800 calories on Tuesday, and yesterday, stayed to 1600. Today has been a little more difficult but I powered through it and am a little hungry, but not ravenous. I'm hoping this will help me get my appetite back under control, and so far, so good! The proof will be if I can register another loss next week; I think if I see my weight drop back below 275, I can say this is working for now.

Course, when I complete on the low calorie days, MFP gripes at me for eating too little lol
  • cnavarro002
    Options
    @bmeadows380 How's it going for you? Has the IF worked? I am rooting for you and can't wait to hear how you are doing!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @cnavarro002 well, its been bumpy. Thursday ended up not being a fast day, though I did stay within my 1500 limit. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, though, were over because I was out of town. I was doing a lot of walking, but I have no idea what the net effect was. The scale read 285 this morning, but since I was doing a lot of eating out this weekend, I know that's water weight (it is impossible to gain 8 lbs in 3 days), so I'm back on track today, and we'll see if I can drop the excess water by Thursday to get a true reading. I've made today one of my fast days for this week, with breakfast being a hardboiled egg, 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup cashew milk. I'm getting ready to heat a can of soup for lunch, and I have a yogurt planned for this afternoon. I haven't decided what dinner will be yet!
  • cnavarro002
    Options
    @bmeadows380 that darn water weight gets us every time! The thing is we know it is water weight, but it is still such a downer! Keeping my fingers crossed for thursday!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @cnavarro002
    @bmeadows380 that darn water weight gets us every time! The thing is we know it is water weight, but it is still such a downer! Keeping my fingers crossed for thursday!

I know! water weight is just evil! And it takes me so long to get it back off, too - sometimes over a week! I was down a little today from yesterday, but I don't think I'm going to have it all gone by Thursday to get a true reading, so I'll just have to keep forging ahead. I ended up having pizza yesterday for dinner, but I held myself to 2 pieces and loaded up on salad, so while I didn't meet my staying under 800 calories for the day goal, I did keep it to right above 1000, so I was well under my 1500 limit (and MFP didn't gripe at me when I completed my diary, either, lol)

So far, I'm on track to be right at or slightly under 1500, and I am finding that it is a little easier to keep myself to a lower calorie level, if I fight through the day before to remain below.