Need help starting

1171819202123»

Replies

• jvezzsb01
    jvezzsb01 Posts: 115 Member
    Yay, you're back! Glad to "see" you back on the board again. :)
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Hey!
    Good to see you back in here!
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    zanyzana wrote: »
    Hey! I wondered how you were. Strange thing to happen. Glad you're going well.
    ibtmas wrote: »
    Welcome back! hope u r doing well!
    Raynn1 wrote: »
    Welcome Back Jerilyn:)

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
    Good to see you again!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL Certified Trainer and Coach
    jvezzsb01 wrote: »
    Yay, you're back! Glad to "see" you back on the board again. :)

Thank you.

Ugh the same thing happened to my Instagram too. I'm notorious for having issues with technology (and cars lol)- I'm basically not allowed to touch my husband's electronics. LOL.
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    Hi Everyone. I sure hope its ok for me to post this question here. I tried to post it on the regular forum, and only got one sole response :(

So, after having gained some weight, I've decided I need to get back on the wagon rather than wallow in self pity and reach for the junk food lol .

Second to the vanity, I'm on new medication, which MAY cause weight gain. So, I want to be meticulous about my calorie tracking. This way, if I gain, rather than lose, I can rule out poor CICO, and work with my doctor to see if the medicine is having an adverse effect.

Was hoping my fellow TDEE warriors could make sure I'm calculating my stats right to make sure I don't mess up. I've done TDEE for a while, but never feel like having a second set of eyes hurts.

My current stats:

Female, 29, 5 feet 7 inches, 135lb

Activity: Orange Theory (1 hr HIIT with cardio on the treadmill, weights, and rowing)3-4 times a week... using 1-3 hours light exercise for my activity level.

Goal: 125

I use the Scooby Calculator, and came up with:

BMR: 1414
    TDEE: 1944
    10% cut: 1750

I chose 10% since I want to lose 10 pounds, but I'm all for slow and steady wins the race.

Does the above look right? Any jarring errors anyone can see? Or, any recommended changes?

Also, Scooby is what was recommended to me when I first started years back...is that still the go-to for most?

Thanks all
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    We actually have our own calculator now:)
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/

Our calculator has the same numbers for you.

I would actually look at why you want to lose ten pounds. i think based on your height and weight currently, you dont "need" to lose "weight"... you may want to lose fat, which means leaning out and showing what is underneath your skin, not neccessarily losing weight in that process. if we go by what the BMI says, you are actually underweight at 135. BMI is not a great tool for gauging health at all, but it might be something to consider as to why you think you need to lose 10 pounds.

Your workouts being HIIT based, are all cardio and not considered strength training. You may want to look at weight training with heavy lifting to help you achieve the look you are after without actually losing "weight"

Hope this helps
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/just-heavy-heavy-lifting/

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    Raynn1 wrote: »
    We actually have our own calculator now:)
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/

Our calculator has the same numbers for you.

I would actually look at why you want to lose ten pounds. i think based on your height and weight currently, you dont "need" to lose "weight"... you may want to lose fat, which means leaning out and showing what is underneath your skin, not neccessarily losing weight in that process. if we go by what the BMI says, you are actually underweight at 135. BMI is not a great tool for gauging health at all, but it might be something to consider as to why you think you need to lose 10 pounds.

Your workouts being HIIT based, are all cardio and not considered strength training. You may want to look at weight training with heavy lifting to help you achieve the look you are after without actually losing "weight"

Hope this helps
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/just-heavy-heavy-lifting/

Kelly
    Team EM2WL

Oh wow!!! That calculator is AWESOME ; SO user friendly! Thank you so much for providing me that; I'm happy to see the numbers all aligned :)

So, have I been using the wrong BMI calculator? I thought I was currently at a normal BMI at 5 feet 7 Inches and 135 lb, and that I would still be at 125 lbs. I definitely do NOT want to be underweight, so if I have been calculating that wrong, boy oh boy do I need to re-evaluate :blush:

I think for myself, I feel best at 125-130 health wise. Once I creep past 130, I start to feel a bit bogged down both mentally and physically. I have started some weight lifting via Orange Theory, and find I do enjoy them! So I'm super happy you mentioned that! I really want to feel my best, and get a bit more firmed up :smile:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I wouldnt fixate on the weight numbers. You can focus on fat loss, which happens with eating the right amount of cals, and weight lifting. These things will help change your body shape, giving you the look you are likely after, without losing "weight".. its a big misconception that scale weight means "gained weight"... and that we can be smaller, healthier and happier, even if the scale doesnt actually go down:) Based on where you are, I would definitely focus on building the muscle as that will be your ticket to fat loss and "losing weight":)

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    @luna3386 so glad to see you back!!! I hope you are doing great!!
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Hi again everyone,

I've figured out my old account and am trying to get back into tracking. Other than the past month of crazy busy summer I've been lifting consistently. Haven't lost weight in a year but have slimmed down. Haven't really been tracking, but am trying to get back into the habit because of two reasons: I'd like to cut a little bit more and I've been having digestive issues. I've been dairy free this entire year and while that has helped tremendously I'm still having issues. Tracking might help me pinpoint them. Unfortunately my protein has really decreased since going off dairy. I did find a protein powder that works for me though I don't even eat it every day as those aren't my favorite things to eat and often shakes/smoothies make me feel ill and not full at all.

Obviously, fixing, if possible, my issues is number 1. I find it really hard to stick to a good macro meal plan when I often feel like junk- bloated, nauseous, bathroom issues, etc. Anyways, the board seems pretty dead but I thought I'd update anyways.
  • ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    @jerilynconn welcome back!!!!

I’m sorry to hear about the stomach issues still. 😞 Over the past couple of weeks/months I have been diagnosed with IBS(irritable bowel syndrome) dr had me try a strong probiotic, which helped but issues were still there. So I’ve been on IBguard (over the counter) May want to give it a try to make your gut feel “happy” it has helped tremendously! Still trying to figure out my trigger foods.

I’m on day 4 of no sweets/desserts & no bread/pasta. Really trying to limit the carbs like crackers breads pastas etc. to see if any of that will help my gut.
  • jerilynconn
    I'm first trying to figure out triggers because it will be the cheapest 😂

I haven't been eating red meat or raw fruits and veggies this week-long I actually feel really good and I was surprised by my energy yesterday (but I'm visiting family so not doing housework so maybe it's unrelated to diet. We will see when I get home!)

And if you haven't heard of protein milk... it's a game changer!!!! Cereal is my favorite food lol but not providing any protein so I've been mixing my almond milk with protein powder. Yum! I originally saw it on Julie Ledbetter Instagram like a whole year ago and just getting around to it.

Let me know Amber if it helps. I've read that sometimes the simple carbs i.e. white bread are easier to digest which is the exact opposite of the "healthy" food advice given for both health and satiety. Reading the diet plan for colitis seemed like my ideal food list lol.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Let me know how it goes Jerilyn - I am in the same boat - no idea what my triggers are though I do know I am celiac. even off the wheat and dairy I still have issues :( I am going to look at corn next.
  • BrendaTessier
    BrendaTessier Posts: 2 Member
    I am concerned about increasing my calories, as I am not currently lifting any weights. I have a back issue that limits the amount I can lift. I am walking and doing the max trainer 3 times a week. I am not looking to lose a lot just 5 pounds or so. I am not sure how to begin.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Are you currently eating at a deficit or attempting to?

Because you will have to eat less than you burn to lose fat - just doesn't have to be extreme and max possible. And many using this tool of MFP cause that to occur by their setup choices and misuse of it, and making wholesale changes to everything.

Easiest thing for 5 lbs is whatever level you were eating at with whatever foods, find 200 cal to eat less of something, each and every day.

Then move more than prior doing whatever it may be.

If this was a slow weight gain because of eating slightly more than you burned - this will reverse that eating too much, and cause eating less, and then you should be burning more.

The exercise will transform the body, in the case of cardio only, mainly heart and lungs, not much for muscle. That takes resistance training.
  • jerilynconn
    Hey guys and gals,

Still having a lot of issues. I was mostly eating simple carbs like bread, crackers, etc. It doesn't hurt my stomach but I put on almost 10 pounds and was hungry all of the time! Ugh, the worst combo. So, since I can't eat filling carbs like whole grains, veggies, I decided to try low carb. That way I can be full and not gain weight or even spend all day eating. The good news is that my protein has gone way up and I'm back to eating 30%+ protein. And so far, I'm feeling much fuller. We will see how this goes over a larger time period.

I also switched to 3 days in the gym- I was just way too tired to do it 4 or more. Plus this is a bit more stress relieving as I don't have to rush there daily. The good news is, so far, my workouts are better and more intense. I'm not dialing it in because I know I only have a limited time on a limited day. The downside is I'm super sore lol.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Ya to being sore!

Oh wait, sorry.

That will soon pass. Probably. Hopefully.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Same for me Jerilyn - Low carb is helping a lot for me as well. My biggest issue is not eating enough calories since I am full all of the time. Stomach issues are much better...