Keto Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,972 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    Uncle Mac, I had great success with the DASH Diet in the past. Going back to,it.

I've never heard of the DASH Diet before. What's involved?
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    Uncle Mac, I had great success with the DASH Diet in the past. Going back to,it.

I've never heard of the DASH Diet before. What's involved?

It was originally developed to combat high blood pressure but they discovered it also had weight loss benefits. Really all it is is common sense. It tells you the amounts to eat based on your goals. Nothing is off the table to eat but you are supposed to really limit sugar and high fat/processed foods. For me, one day would look like this: 1 c Cheerios, 1/2 c 1% milk and 81g banana. For lunch I would have 2 oz turkey on whole wheat bread, a salad, half a tbs of dressing, a snack would be 13 almonds and a mini Babybel. For dinner I might have 4 oz salmon, a cup of broccoli, salad, a cup of carrots and an orange. My night snack might be a half cup of sugar free Jello and 8 cherries. There is a firm belief in portion control and CICO. I relied on my food scale and measuring cups and spoons. It is relatively simple and a lot like the Mediterranean diet. What I like is that it doesn't eliminate any food group. The Dash Diet For Weight Loss by Dr. Moore is a good resource. Others have written books about it but he was one of the scientists who worked on the diet and is more reliable than others who have adapted it.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I threw DASH Diet into Google and the results were kind of overwhelming and confusing. I got the impression that most websites were focused on selling books rather than sharing concepts. Mind you, I didn't dig deeply.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Uncle Mac, I can't figure out how to copy a link with my smartphone. Google Amazon.com DASH Diet for Weight loss Thomas Moore. When that page comes up scroll to product description and it will give you a ton of info about the diet, including a sample of a day's menu. The websites get confusing because different authors put different spins on it, but Dr Moore has been involved in some of the actual studies and I found him to be the most reasonable and find see stackable. If you get the book, don't get it on Kindle. You find yourself flipping back and forth between pages too much in the early chapters to make it user friendly. I don't often, if ever, advise anyone to buy anything. You could likely get it in your library, too.
  • Cavspider
    Cavspider Posts: 327 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    DASH is not really a "diet" in the weight loss arena so to speak. It stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension and I believe it was devised by NIH. It is a great guideline that will help you eat healthier and do wonders for your blood pressure.

I pattern my eating on DASH but can't say I follow it exactly.

For a simplistic view I follow this advice:
    "When following the DASH eating plan, it is important to choose foods that are:
    Low in saturated and trans fats;
    Rich in potassium, calcium, magnesium, fiber, and protein; and
    Lower in sodium"

At age 50 and above the powers that be recommend no more than 1500 mg of sodium.

It is my personal goal to delay the use of prescription drugs to lower blood pressure as both my parents take such meds.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/dash-eating-plan

The above link tells you everything you need to know about DASH.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Thank you both!! Now all I need is time to sit and read this stuff... lol
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Thanks B. It doesn’t have to be meat where the protein comes from. I’ve read there are many vegetarians and vegans who are keto. One of my daughters and her man are vegans.

I’m going to look into this a bit more Farback. It’s seems to be a good recipe for success in weight loss 👍
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    Thanks B. It doesn’t have to be meat where the protein comes from. I’ve read there are many vegetarians and vegans who are keto. One of my daughters and her man are vegans.

I’m going to look into this a bit more Farback. It’s seems to be a good recipe for success in weight loss 👍

I'm actually quite surprised at how many books are coming out on Vegan Keto. I'm not sure how you'd do it but I suppose tons of avocados, coconut oil, olive oil and limited nuts (because the nuts have some carbs). I would also think a plant based protein powder like Sunwarrior or Pea Protein or Hemp protein might help too. I've even used avocados in protein drinks (even frozen ones but that's tricky because they stick together and become like a brick, so you have to bag or wrap just what you'll use individually). Unsweetened Coconut or Nut Milk has very few carbs.

Just like with any keto, tart berries and leafy greens would become a huge part of it.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »

I'm actually quite surprised at how many books are coming out on Vegan Keto. I'm not sure how you'd do it but I suppose tons of avocados, coconut oil, olive oil and limited nuts (because the nuts have some carbs). I would also think a plant based protein powder like Sunwarrior or Pea Protein or Hemp protein might help too. I've even used avocados in protein drinks (even frozen ones but that's tricky because they stick together and become like a brick, so you have to bag or wrap just what you'll use individually). Unsweetened Coconut or Nut Milk has very few carbs.

Just like with any keto, tart berries and leafy greens would become a huge part of it.

Thanks for the advise 👍 really appreciate it
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My doctor is encouraging me to do keto in order to drop a fair bit of weight . I'm not sold on it being a long term lifestyle choice but I'm willing to go low carb(15%) ish per day but my hubs is already whining about not cooking his favorite foods. He could use this just as much as he is type 2 diabetic.anyone here keto or long time low carb? How do you keep meals interesting? Any favorite recipi sites?