Blood sugar tanked.

13»

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    120 right after eating something is good.

If you are 120 while fasting, it is too high. If you normally run 200's and 300's, you really need to get to 120 (and even lower) RIGHT NOW!!!

Staying in the 200's and 300's all the time is what ruins your health.

Pretty much this.

I tend to now run a fasted of 85-87 and PP of 110-115 (have had it as low as 90 if I run a 20-30 minute cycling session before eating) and have never felt better. A1c now tends to hover around 4.6-4.8.

Admittedly though, it took me some years to get to this point. I don’t even see a 140 PP reading after eating 100g (dry weight) of white rice anymore.

Fasting blood sugar of 120 for a T2D is not considered as too high. It could be someone's opinion but this statement is not supported anywhere that I have seen.

From the 2017 American Diabetes Association Standards of Care, the following chart shows current targets for blood sugars for nonpregnant adult patients with diabetes:
    Summary of Glycemic Recommendations for Adults with Diabetes
    A1C <7.0% (53 mmol/mol)
    Preprandial capillary plasma glucose 80–130 mg/dL* (4.4–7.2 mmol/L)
    Peak postprandial capillary plasma glucose† <180 mg/dL* (10.0 mmol/L)
    *More or less stringent glycemic goals may be appropriate for individual patients. Goals should be individualized
    **based on duration of diabetes, age/life expectancy, comorbid conditions, known CVD or advancedmicrovascular complications, hypoglycemia unawareness, and individual patient considerations.†Postprandial glucose may be targeted
    Blood sugar target levels for nonpregnant adults with diabetes coincide with A1C less than 7

I do agree that my goal is to be less than 120, which I now run 105-110 on average, and have a goal to get lower. Being a diabetic I understand that the numbers I am given to try and achieve may not be the same as someone else who also is a diabetic. It most certainly is not a situation of where everyone is given the same numbers to hit. So it is not a good statement when someone makes a statement about a given number stating it is too high.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

If you are 120 while fasting, it is too high. If you normally run 200's and 300's, you really need to get to 120 (and even lower) RIGHT NOW!!!

Pretty much this.

I tend to now run a fasted of 85-87 and PP of 110-115 (have had it as low as 90 if I run a 20-30 minute cycling session before eating) and have never felt better. A1c now tends to hover around 4.6-4.8.

Admittedly though, it took me some years to get to this point. I don’t even see a 140 PP reading after eating 100g (dry weight) of white rice anymore.

Fasting blood sugar of 120 for a T2D is not considered as too high. It could be someone's opinion but this statement is not supported anywhere that I have seen.

From the 2017 American Diabetes Association Standards of Care, the following chart shows current targets for blood sugars for nonpregnant adult patients with diabetes:
    A1C <7.0% (53 mmol/mol)
    *More or less stringent glycemic goals may be appropriate for individual patients. Goals should be individualized
    **based on duration of diabetes, age/life expectancy, comorbid conditions, known CVD or advancedmicrovascular complications, hypoglycemia unawareness, and individual patient considerations.†Postprandial glucose may be targeted
    Blood sugar target levels for nonpregnant adults with diabetes coincide with A1C less than 7

I do agree that my goal is to be less than 120, which I now run 105-110 on average, and have a goal to get lower. Being a diabetic I understand that the numbers I am given to try and achieve may not be the same as someone else who also is a diabetic. It most certainly is not a situation of where everyone is given the same numbers to hit. So it is not a good statement when someone makes a statement about a given number stating it is too high.

The ADA also has a history of recommending high carb diets, which we know cause elevated PP BG's and poor glycemic control in diabetics.

There is plenty of evidence that a fasting BG of 120 mg/dl is harmful. For example:
    -"a very strong increase in the risk of cancer" was found in participants in a study when their fasting BG was >110 mg/dl or if their PP (2 hrs. after GTT) was >160 mg/dl.
    -Beta cells die off in people whose fasting BG is over 110 mg/dl. Deceased patients who were known to have fasting BG's between 110 mg/dl and 125 mg/dl within 2 years of their deaths had lost, on average, 40% of their insulin producing beta cells.
    -"Risk of developing chronic kidney disease rises significantly in a straight-line fashion as A1c rises above 6.0%."
    -"Subjects who developed retinopathy over a 9 year period had an average fasting blood sugar of 130 mg/dl and an average A1c of 6.4%. Those who did not develop retinopathy over this period had an average fasting blood sugar of 108 mg/dl and an average A1c of 5.7%."
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited December 2018
    Latest studies mentioned in Peter Attia's newest blog suggest even lower numbers are needed to prevent NAFLD and at the present time extrapolated from the study numbers of almost 10,000 people, only 12.2% of Americans are not in the danger zone for metabolic disease. Just got the email in my in-box. Scary thought.

Sorry, my bad, not Peter Attia's blog, Tommy Wood MD, PhD at NourishBalanceThrive.com has the link. It was online from Nov 27 pre-publication.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Diabetics deserve non diabetic blood sugars. The ADA guidelines are not good enough to prevent complications.
    Someone doesn’t need to settle for just ok blood sugars simply because they’re diabetic.
    Sometimes with T2, diet alone is enough to get there. Sometimes meds are still necessary in addition to lifestyle changes but there is no reason to settle for just good enough.

I could not agree with you more!

I get so frustrated with my mom's doctor (my mom is 81 and has been a type 2 diabetic for many years) because she told my mom that she can stop checking her blood sugar because it's been stable for a while. However, with meds, it has been stable at a level that is always over an A1c of 6.0%.

My mom has numerous serious health conditions, and in my opinion, not checking her blood sugar is simply not okay. My mom has been obese most of her life and has put on more weight lately, which worries me. She was raised not to question doctors; it's really hard to get her to understand that doctors do not always know what is best.

Rant over!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    bametels wrote: »
    Diabetics deserve non diabetic blood sugars. The ADA guidelines are not good enough to prevent complications.
    Someone doesn’t need to settle for just ok blood sugars simply because they’re diabetic.
    Sometimes with T2, diet alone is enough to get there. Sometimes meds are still necessary in addition to lifestyle changes but there is no reason to settle for just good enough.

I could not agree with you more!

I get so frustrated with my mom's doctor (my mom is 81 and has been a type 2 diabetic for many years) because she told my mom that she can stop checking her blood sugar because it's been stable for a while. However, with meds, it has been stable at a level that is always over an A1c of 6.0%.

My mom has numerous serious health conditions, and in my opinion, not checking her blood sugar is simply not okay. My mom has been obese most of her life and has put on more weight lately, which worries me. She was raised not to question doctors; it's really hard to get her to understand that doctors do not always know what is best.

Rant over!

@bametels

I know we've had this discussion before (shared misery about our parents), but I don't know my mom's numbers, nor do I think I'd want to, but I've literally watched her and my stepdad (both T2D) inject insulin, then proceed to binge on candy. I could not live nearby and watch this all of the time...it breaks my heart!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

Well, to be fair, once a T2D has normal blood sugar levels, they’re no longer T2D. It’s not the progressive disease it’s been made out to be, and we’ve seen it reversed time and again by weightloss and activity increases.

I’m a pretty good example. When I was 250+ lbs. and lived in front of my PC, fasting was well over 130 on the few times I bothered to use my mom’s monitor to check it. As stated in my previous post, I’m a long way from there now, and eat over 500g carbs per day when trying to gain weight.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@bametels

I know we've had this discussion before (shared misery about our parents), but I don't know my mom's numbers, nor do I think I'd want to, but I've literally watched her and my stepdad (both T2D) inject insulin, then proceed to binge on candy. I could not live nearby and watch this all of the time...it breaks my heart!

Yes, @KnitOrMiss, we have commiserated about our parents. It is painful to watch the deterioration of people you love.

While I don't know that not checking her blood sugar has contributed to her most recent diagnosis (failing kidneys), it certainly could not have helped. I get so frustrated when more and more scientific studies demonstrate the value of low carb/keto diets in preventing/controlling/reversing T2 diabetes that the mainstream medical community is still pushing meds and promoting the ADA guidelines. When I see what I believe is misinformation being shared, I feel the need to speak up (rant) in the hope that others might avoid, delay, minimize the damage of T2 diabetes.

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member

Pretty much this.

A1C <7.0% (53 mmol/mol)

The ADA also has a history of recommending high carb diets, which we know cause elevated PP BG's and poor glycemic control in diabetics.

There is plenty of evidence that a fasting BG of 120 mg/dl is harmful. For example:
    -"a very strong increase in the risk of cancer" was found in participants in a study when their fasting BG was >110 mg/dl or if their PP (2 hrs. after GTT) was >160 mg/dl.
    -Beta cells die off in people whose fasting BG is over 110 mg/dl. Deceased patients who were known to have fasting BG's between 110 mg/dl and 125 mg/dl within 2 years of their deaths had lost, on average, 40% of their insulin producing beta cells.
    -"Risk of developing chronic kidney disease rises significantly in a straight-line fashion as A1c rises above 6.0%."
    -"Subjects who developed retinopathy over a 9 year period had an average fasting blood sugar of 130 mg/dl and an average A1c of 6.4%. Those who did not develop retinopathy over this period had an average fasting blood sugar of 108 mg/dl and an average A1c of 5.7%."

Can you tell me exactly where your information came from? I would like to read the article. I have never read before that having diabetes leads to cancer. I am totally aware of the kidney, heart, eye issues it can lead to. As well as the amputations etc. But leading to cancer is not something I have read anywhere.

I have no issues with people having goals to get T2D under control as much as they can. I am on that journey right now. Down to two medications from being on five medications. Just got another AC1 back and now am at 6, my goal is to get as close to 5 as I can. I also agree that any/all of the America medical associations move at the rate of a snail to embrace anything or make a change. I think one of the biggest short falls is they will make the statement to lose 5 or 10% of your body weight. And most Dr's do not suggest an education plan, or even a dietican and we have seen that with no help and just telling people to lose some weight. As a whole it does not work. Perfect example is eating on a lower carb way. I made the change and informed my endocrinologist that is what I was doing. Based on the success I am having they asked me, to share exactly what I am doing. In the hope they can get other patients to see the light.

But at the start of my journey, my first goal was to stabilize my morning numbers to within about 10. Once I had that, then the next goal laid out was to drop the morning numbers by 10, stabilize keep within 10. And do again to show I was doing it over and over. And so that my Dr. would agree and drop medications and see progress. So I will still see it as each person needs to work on their plan. And it should be individualized for what is going on with that person. As it is not a one answer fits everyone. Ultimate goal would be to get to normal BS all of the time. And drop the Lantus and Trulicity. 18 years of being a T2D my eyes show no changes so am good there. Other big motivator for me, is improving my kidney function, and have seen some improvement there as well.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2018

Pretty much this.

A1C <7.0% (53 mmol/mol)

Can you tell me exactly where your information came from? I would like to read the article. I have never read before that having diabetes leads to cancer. I am totally aware of the kidney, heart, eye issues it can lead to. As well as the amputations etc. But leading to cancer is not something I have read anywhere.

I have no issues with people having goals to get T2D under control as much as they can. I am on that journey right now. Down to two medications from being on five medications. Just got another AC1 back and now am at 6, my goal is to get as close to 5 as I can. I also agree that any/all of the America medical associations move at the rate of a snail to embrace anything or make a change. I think one of the biggest short falls is they will make the statement to lose 5 or 10% of your body weight. And most Dr's do not suggest an education plan, or even a dietican and we have seen that with no help and just telling people to lose some weight. As a whole it does not work. Perfect example is eating on a lower carb way. I made the change and informed my endocrinologist that is what I was doing. Based on the success I am having they asked me, to share exactly what I am doing. In the hope they can get other patients to see the light.

But at the start of my journey, my first goal was to stabilize my morning numbers to within about 10. Once I had that, then the next goal laid out was to drop the morning numbers by 10, stabilize keep within 10. And do again to show I was doing it over and over. And so that my Dr. would agree and drop medications and see progress. So I will still see it as each person needs to work on their plan. And it should be individualized for what is going on with that person. As it is not a one answer fits everyone. Ultimate goal would be to get to normal BS all of the time. And drop the Lantus and Trulicity. 18 years of being a T2D my eyes show no changes so am good there. Other big motivator for me, is improving my kidney function, and have seen some improvement there as well.

I am reading Tripping over the Truth; it gets into the metabolic approach to cancer. That cancer may be caused by deranged mitochondrial function, and that the cells become largely dependent on glucose. it discusses the evidence that cancer is more likely to happen when BG is high. Interesting stuff.

Congrats on your success so far. :) You are doing a great job!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member

Hi @maureenkhilde - here's part 1 of a 3 part blog from Richard David Feinman PhD (Professor of Cell Biology (Biochemistry) at the State University of New York (SUNY) Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York. Dr. Feinman’s original area of research was in protein chemistry and enzyme mechanism) on cancer and blood sugars vs low carb/ketogenic diets:

https://feinmantheother.com/2016/10/03/ketogenic-diets-for-cancer-what-makes-you-think-that-ketone-bodies-will-help/

Part 2 & 3 continue the thread going into the Warburg Effect.
    I think he's a pretty amazing mind, and wish he'd write more but he's also a very busy guy when it comes to working on other projects. I think the blog likely is lower on his priority list at the moment. Too bad. :|

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    @maureenkhilde I would have to go back and find the specific study with the increase at 110 mg/dl, as there are quite a few studies on this topic. Some studies considered specific cancer types while others were more broad.

Here is an example of a study that is extremely broad as it looked at the higher risk of death from all causes and based on fasting glucose >100 mg/dl.
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1008862
    Hazard ratios for death among participants with diabetes, as compared to those without diabetes, after adjustment for baseline age, sex, smoking status, and BMI, were as follows: 1.80 (95% confidence interval [CI], 1.71 to 1.90) for death from any cause, 1.25 (95% CI, 1.19 to 1.31) for death from cancer, 2.32 (95% CI, 2.11 to 2.56) for death from vascular causes, 1.73 (95% CI, 1.62 to 1.85) for death from nonvascular causes not attributed to cancer, and 1.88 (95% CI, 1.62 to 2.18) for deaths of unknown or ill-defined cause (Fig. 1 in the Supplementary Appendix). These hazard ratios were not appreciably reduced after additional adjustment for systolic blood pressure, lipid levels, C-reactive protein levels, fibrinogen levels, alcohol use, estimated glomerular filtration rate, or indicators of socioeconomic status, when such information was available. However, the hazard ratios were reduced considerably after adjustment for fasting glucose or glycated hemoglobin levels (Table 2).

In this study done in Korea, they analyzed by categorizing participants' fasting BG's into various categories and found an increase in cancer risk as fasting BG increased. The reference range was a fasting BG of <90 mg/dl.
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/200151
    We observed linear trends in mortality with increasing fasting serum glucose level for all cancers combined and for cancers of several sites (Table 2). Compared with the reference category (<90 mg/dL), men with a fasting serum glucose level above 140 mg/dL had significantly elevated HRs of death from cancers of the esophagus (HR, 1.44; 95% CI, 1.08-1.93), liver (HR, 1.57; 95% CI, 1.40-1.76), pancreas (HR, 1.91; 95% CI, 1.52-2.41), and colon/rectum (HR, 1.31; 95% CI, 1.03-1.67). Significant associations were also found for bladder cancer and leukemia for those with a fasting serum glucose level of 126 mg/dL or higher. Men with a fasting serum glucose level of 110 to 125 mg/dL had significantly elevated HRs of death from esophageal, stomach, colon/rectal, liver, and pancreatic cancers. Of the total of 20 566 cancer deaths in men, 802 were estimated as attributable to having a fasting serum glucose level of less than 90 mg/dL.

In case you were not aware, Google Scholar can be used to search for peer reviewed journal articles.