This January I Will...

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited January 2019 in Social Groups
miv5wqy7jdi0.jpg

And Hello 2019!!!

Happy New Year and may 2019 be filled with health and happiness and to you and yours. One thing I'm certain about this group: we will be celebrating a lot of healthy successes this year. Why am I so sure? Because any goal takes more than just desire: it takes a realistic plan with small, specific, do-able actions steps, and the commitment to see the plan through, even when it's tough. And these qualities, these success markers, well, this group has in abundance!

If you are joining us for the first time, welcome! We are glad you are here. Let us know what your goal is for this month and how we can help. And if you're joining us midway through the month, no need to wait until February. Begin now and you'll be that much closer to achieving what you want. If you're looking for ideas, our list of previous challenges may come in handy.

So let's hear what you'll be prioritizing this month!

Try to frame your goal along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (This January I will...")
2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal
3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit
4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)
5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks such as a fist pump, saying "I'm awesome", or a star/check mark on your calendar help cement the habit you are trying to build.)
6. What help do you need from us?
7. What does success look like to you at the end of January?

Check-in daily, weekly, or as often as works for you, but let us know how you are progressing! We're here to support and encourage you, but if you don't post we don't know what you need. Plus, we want to cheer you on!

Let's do this! Let's all make it a terrific year!

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    I caught a side view of myself in the mirror and yikes...I was slouched over. I don't want to be a hobbled over senior citizen, so I'm going to focus this month on being more aware of my posture. If I'm aware, I tend to sit up/stand up with better posture, but most of the time I'm not even aware of what I'm doing.

1. This January I will pay attention to my posture and make an effort to sit up/stand up straight.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: When I sit down and when I stand up I will first do a posture check.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do your habit: Siting down or standing up will be my cue.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible). Many times throughout the day.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? After I do my posture check, I'll say "Well done" to myself.
    6. What help do you need from us? If you have tips/suggestions/resources that have helped you improve your posture, I'm all ears!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of January? I'll have better posture without paying much attention to it because sitting and standing up straight will be more automatic for me.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    1. My goal for this month (This January I will...") Mediate twice daily. Once in the am and at bedtime.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal...I have notification on my mediation app to remind me.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit...gong notification
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) twice daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks such as a fist pump, saying "I'm awesome", or a star/check mark on your calendar help cement the habit you are trying to build.) I I will whisper to myself...smile life is good!
    6. What help do you need from us? Accountability
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of January? A calmer, more peaceful me.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,007 Member
    Options
    Everyone’s “I Will’s” look awesome!!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

I agree! I will make time to post mine later today. What a busy time this is!!!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,851 Member
    Options
    So far I’ve done my posture exercises each day ( I did 2 days on the second to catch up). They are terrific! I’m finding doing them right after my yoga makes a great cue.

@M310 , glad to hear from you! I too need to get back to being faithful about logging and eating healthy. I vote for more fun. I makes getting healthy easier.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,007 Member
    Options
    Jan 5 Update:

The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal.
    * ✅Keep appealing groceries in the house
    * ❌Always have precooked lean meats available
    TO DO: I have to get Lean Meat issue solved

* Pre-measure ✅nuts,q fruit-only jam, ✅Kashi cereal, & ✅peanut butter in 1/2 &/or 1 oz. servings
    THIS REALLY HELPED ME TODAY!🎉

* ❌Always have appealing pre-washed/cut veggies & salad greens prepared.
    I didn’t but I washed & peeled 3 large carrots & enjoyed them greatly!
    TO DO item, too!

* ✅Replenish tea selection DONE
    * ✅Do pantry & fridge clean out (neither are bad, but for fresh start feeling!)DONE
    * Remind myself that I had headaches, some tummy pain, queasiness, was more tired, and my mood was less positive... ❌Forgot to do this. Forgot to do this again, but hubby reminded me, so when we had lunch out (yes, yet again) I was very moderate. And felt fine.

Do This For YOU! Focus on Health& a happy life ❣

Jan 1✅
    Jan 2✅ (pre-planned eating out)
    Jan 3❌ moderate, but Salty & high fat
    Jan 4 ❌High fat, high sodium, high sugar: felt awful afterwards.
    Jan 5❌but smaller portions, no dessert, and better choices.

STILL Optimistic going forwards. I forgot how much sodium is in the food & I feel queasy. I feel confident I can stop eating out now because of those two things❣

Jan 3 reminded me I need to have cooked lean meat in the fridge.

Jan 4 made me face up to how much sodium & fat are in restaurant foods.

Jan 5 reminded me that once I eat out, it can take me awhile to stop it.

Moving forwards! I will do it-
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »

I agree! I will make time to post mine later today. What a busy time this is!!!

That’s what I thought too! I just love hearing what everyone’s goals and aspirations are for January and 2019. How we’ve moved beyond sweeping goals like being healthier, to specific actionable plans for achieving what we want. The diversity in goals in great too!

And a special shout-out to @eatmindfully and @nikitashah100 who are joining us for the first time. We are very happy you are here!
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I have successfully mediated twice daily since the first of the month. I am using a new app called Insight Timer. If you are interested check it out.

A friend of mine has used Insight Timer for several years now and loves it. Great job getting in the meditation habit, @PinkyPan1!
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    So far I’ve done my posture exercises each day ( I did 2 days on the second to catch up). They are terrific! I’m finding doing them right after my yoga makes a great cue.

@M310 , glad to hear from you! I too need to get back to being faithful about logging and eating healthy. I vote for more fun. I makes getting healthy easier.

I completely agree with @77tes, @M310! Regular food logging is likely your best tool for managing your auto-immune disease. Pre-planning your meals as you’ve done in the past is helpful too, but as you identified, too much rigidity isn’t a good thing.

And I think more fun is a fabulous goal for 2019!
  • themedalist
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Even though we have a monthly focus for our goals that involve daily actions, I think it’s wonderful to have an overarching theme for 2019, as @M310 has for having more fun. Last year, I really focused on deepening my sense of gratitude because gratitude is so closely tied to happiness and greater joy. On the suggestion of one of our group members, @SwimMighty, I started a nightly GLAD reflection while doing my pre-bedtime yoga. GLAD: 1.) Gratitude: What am I grateful for today? 2.) Learn: What did I learn today? 3.) Accomplish: What did I accomplish today? 4.) Delight: What delighted me today? It’s such a positive, joyful way to review and close the day and a great launching point for going to sleep. Interestingly, I no longer wake up in the middle of the night as I’ve done for years. I sleep through the night and that’s been wonderful. I think the combination of yoga stretches and GLAD reflection right before bed has changed my sleeping patterns.

I’ve always been a pretty happy person but the year-long focus on gratitude and joy helped me enormously. Daily meditation was the key.

So for 2019, I’m going in a different direction. I’m going to work on improving my memory. I don’t think I have a bad memory, but I’m convinced I can improve my memory using the same habits framework that I use to change and improve every other aspect of my life.

I’d love to hear any “themes” you have for 2019!