40s anyone?

Replies

• categ78
    categ78 Posts: 47 Member
    39 and 3/4 years old! And hopefully in the shape and health of my life by 41!
  • Letitiamcd
    Letitiamcd Posts: 13 Member
    I'm going to be 47 next month and I feel great! I am definitely in the best shape of my life. I wish I had started sooner.

I exercise 7 days a week with 5 days of cardio. I haven't noticed my recovery taking longer in general but I'm starting to feel it in my knees.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,983 Member
    I have lifted in the past, but never as regimented as I am now. Turning 40 in less than a month, pretty sure I have more muscle mass now than I have historically, just working to get rid of the fat that is currently covering too much of it up! Looking to lose 13-25 pounds (not sure based off previous weight and current muscle mass, but somewhere in that range!).
  • Letitiamcd
    Letitiamcd Posts: 13 Member
    Letitiamcd wrote: »
    I'm going to be 47 next month and I feel great! I am definitely in the best shape of my life. I wish I had started sooner.

I exercise 7 days a week with 5 days of lifting and cardio on the other two days - sometimes the other days too. I haven't noticed my recovery taking longer in general but I'm starting to feel it in my knees.

• OncologyChick
    OncologyChick Posts: 236 Member
    I'll be 49 in September. I try to loose weight (tried for years off and on, but the lost never stayed off.... :( ). I made myself a promise to be as fit, healthy and happy as I can when I turn 50!
    I lost my first 7.5kg (16.5lbs) and my legs & behind look like a bag of patatoes and my upperarms are hanging down. To (re)form my body to a more tight one I'll start with kettlebell swings 3x times a week. I'll be using the Tracy Reifkind workouts.

The idea is to start out with 8kg kettlebell (17.4lbs) and after one month upgrade the weight to 12kg (26.4lbs).
    That is if I can keep the flow going. I really am NOT into sports or excersising :/ . Just hope the results in bodyshape will convince me to keep going!
    I'll be tape measuring myself to keep track of lost cm/inches.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    54-menopause hit and I BECAME MY MOTHER!! hahaha I have completely changed my view on exercise and now focus on weight training 2-3 times per week and dont fixate on cardio as much -2 times a week now max. I also do yoga 2 times a week (would like to do it each day but have been lazy) the flexability is now so important to me. I have lost 4 lbs and can see the "tone" starting to happen. I think lifting for those of us over 40 (50) is soooo important!!! If any of you have advise please pass it on to me!
  • aWildFlowere
    aWildFlowere Posts: 76 Member
    48 here and making a comeback...again...I was a gym rat in the weight room in college...so glad to be back. I have horseshoes (I call them rainbows;) plus T muscles and Tib's...ok my biceps are making progress. The rest are pretty hidden in a nice cushy layer of fat. blah...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I have taken a break from strength training this month. My gym was closed and I went out of town. I'm keeping up with my cardio videos, walking, swimming, and a tiny bit of strength with body weight and dumbbells. I am a little worried how long it will take to get my strength back to where it was. Weight room should be available again by end of August.
  • aWildFlowere
    aWildFlowere Posts: 76 Member
    48 here & lift 2-4x week
  • psychomomxs4
    psychomomxs4 Posts: 400 Member
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    How many days week do you 40 somethings strength train?

I lift 4 days a week day and sometimes I add day 5 with something extra.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Great post! Early 40's here.

I'm in the best shape, health and fitness in my entire life! And still making improvements with each year of maintenance.
  • candicelhawkins
    candicelhawkins Posts: 2 Member
    45 next month :# Not exactly where I'd like to be...but working on it 1 step at a time.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    wutaday1 wrote: »
    I will be 40 in September and I have already started to notice a decline. I am finally getting back on the wagon to get healthy again. Weight lifting always made a huge difference for me and I am finally getting back to it.

Edit: lol I just realized I already posted to this feed. I need to log onto here more often. :blush:
    .......welcome to your 40s😉

• gabriellevear
    gabriellevear Posts: 2 Member
    I’m 43 very very thin so starting my health journey to get bigger and stronger
  • JRIV60
    JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
    41 here. Starting 2019 focusing on strength training. After a 40+ weight loss l'm almost at my goal weight but want to tone up. Feel free at add me.
  • infinicca
    infinicca Posts: 869 Member
    I love that this thread is still going. :) I'll be 40 in April. Restarted my fitness journey last year and got waylaid by family insanity over the last few months, so now I'm back at it. Two sessions scheduled today!
  • cutepeople
    cutepeople Posts: 2 Member
    I'm 48..
    At 47 I had a bad injury, went to PT... That started me back on weights, but also running. (Nothing mad, mind you. I started at 30 seconds of run for every 5min of walk... so, no, there are no marathons here. I did my first ever 5K around Halloween).
    I was already walking over 30 miles a week, so the 40minutes of walk run, 3 times a week, was an add-on.
    But, "running" (load bearing on legs and back), combined with weights twice a week, and yoga after every run... Has really changed my body!
    Well that, combined with being honest about what I eat on MFP.
    The most interesting thing (to me), is the process is much easier/more comfortable/enjoyable than I anticipated.
    For me, it's all about making it a habit.

There have been times I got home, and was thinking.. "no run today. Too tired. Just relax, have a glass of wine or a cuppa tea"... and by the time I was done wrestling with myself in my mind, I found I was outside in my running togs, wondering "HOW THE HECK did I get here?"...
    So for me, it really is just a matter of making it a habit.
    A great habit, that keeps me sane (ish). But a habit!
  • Past those 40's Will be 53 next month and wanting to get into best shape of my life both physically and mentally. I love how staying active makes me feel!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    I am 44, turning 45 in April, and I have only recently gotten very interested in weight training. I like to run too, so making time for both gets challenging. I just bought some heavier dumbbells and would love to add a barbell to my home gym soon.