January 8 sign in

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    And that DOESN'T include my newly added 7 minute HIIT sessions, as I am not sure that the bike isn't over-estimating ~80 calories burned for that ....

@BMcC9 I think it's reliable. I burn about 60 calories (calculated by heart rate and VO2max so a reliable calculation) for a 1000m sprint that takes me about 4 minutes. Cycling burns a bit less than running so 80 cals for 7 minutes HIIT looks reliable to me.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    trimi1104 wrote: »
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    where is the healthy-safe threshold when push-yourself activity burn would consistently bring you under 1000 net calories in? Burning only 251 calories per day would do that .... I already consistently burn over 100 in under 50 minutes most days.

There is no threshold dear, you do what you like to do. At the moment I burn around 800-1600 calories a day only of exercise. Then there is my basic alloted 1700 just to keep me alive.
    It is obvious at this point that, even if I wasn't in maintenance, I would have to eat at least some of my exercise calories back. The same is for you, if you like whatever sport you do then do it, there is no threshold, just put into account that you shouldn't go too far down on a deficit.
    What I mean, there is nothing like a "no more exercise I am going too far below"...there is a "I'm eating some more so I can do more of what I like". Right?

Soooo this brings me full circle back to my original question .... what are some higher (but quality) calorie / small package suggestions so that I CAN bolster the "I'm eating some more so I can do more of what I like" without feeling like I am force-feeding myself? My main pre-planned go-to evening snack is plain air-popped popcorn with amount adjusted daily to what will bring me to barely over-under PRE-exercise calories in. Then snack readjusted post exercise to leave ~100 out of ~ 125 to 150 not eaten back.

I know this is more of a "what's on your mind" question, but I wanted to catch some of you early-poster training types, like @trimi1104
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    trimi1104 wrote: »
    @BMcC9 I could think of PBJ sandwiches, popcorn, fruit, jerky, protein powder, hard boiled eggs, depends what you need for matching your macros.
    But to be honest I am not mad about snacks so I prefer to just make my main meals bigger, and no snacking. Personal preference but it's an idea.
    jan110144 wrote: »
    @BMcC9 when I need to add some calories, I do a Dannon Light n Lively Greek yogurt + whey protein + chopped walnuts. I vary the amount of whey protein and walnuts depending on how many calorows I want to add. A nice balance of protein and healthy fat. It is also very quick and easy and fairly portable.

Thank you both! this is the kind of information I was looking for!

@trimi1104 , once I get into a rhythm where I have even a vague idea of "routine zone of calories to cover" I WILL be spreading them across more meals and hours in the day, especially if it is in the multiple 100's But my window for exercise (now that my holiday break is over) is after work before or after supper. So I don't want to up the total pre-exercise calorie spread until I do at least a week-long "time and intensity test" to get a sense of "by ~X how much".