Jan 2019 group

Hi I’ve just finished week 1 of C25K. Is there a group for people at a similar level or anyone want to join me for support here?

I used C25K to lose about 54 pounds (about 24 kg) 6 years ago and ended up with athlete level fitness. Stopped exercising and put it back on. Now I’m 15kg/33pounds down again and want to start running to burn the rest.

Replies

• frannie_h20
    frannie_h20 Posts: 26 Member
    I did my first run today so a week behind you but happy to support each other, feel free to add me 😊

I did c25k in 2013 and lost a lot of weight, got really fit etc. Had a baby in 2015 and never managed to get back to it so never really lost baby weight. Actually, i think i'm heavier now than i was 6 months after she was born! I want to lose around 16-20lbs, and, most importantly, be healthier as I am embarrassingly unfit at the moment.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,650 Member
    I seem to have become a chronic repeater of C25k, have just started it for the third time in 2 years! Back in late summer of 2017 I followed the programme for the first time after building up to it gradually (when I first tried I couldn't even cope with the week 1 workouts) and continued with the 10k programme, getting to where I could run for an hour straight on my treadmill. Then christmas, holidays and a nasty bout of flu stopped me running for a month or so and I fell off the wagon where running was concerned. Around April last year I started over, but that time I promised myself I would do at least one run per week outdoors. Fell in love with running outside big time and found myself always heading outside, and again completed the full 10k programme. Then I got overexcited and signed up for a half marathon, which I successfully completed a month ago. However, the training for that and that amount of mileage was a case of 'too much too soon' and left me with extremely overworked leg muscles, which led to a painful injury/recovery period over the last 4 weeks. My physiotherapist has cleared me to start jogging this week, albeit very gently and carefully, so I've decided the best way to go about it is to start from scratch again! Completed W1D2 this morning (back on the treadmill) and am promising myself I'll do day 3 outdoors at the weekend. Can't wait!
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Thanks for joining me! What are you up to? I’ve only gone once this week but hope to do week 2 day 2 tomorrow and another two on the weekend. It’s going to be hot tomorrow so I’ll have to go early or late.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Thanks for joining me! What are you up to? I’ve only gone once this week but hope to do week 2 day 2 tomorrow and another two on the weekend. It’s going to be hot tomorrow so I’ll have to go early or late.

Hot? You must be way south then, I'm having the opposite problem atm! I wouldn't recommend skipping rest days, it's very easy to do too much too soon and you don't want to end up injured.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member

Hot? You must be way south then, I'm having the opposite problem atm! I wouldn't recommend skipping rest days, it's very easy to do too much too soon and you don't want to end up injured.

Yeah, cold here too! My issue is that it gets dark so early. Fortunately my gym has an indoor track.

This early in, running two days in a row shouldn't hurt.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

Yeah, cold here too! My issue is that it gets dark so early. Fortunately my gym has an indoor track.

C25k has rest days between each run from the start for a reason
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

C25k has rest days between each run from the start for a reason

I understand that and am not suggesting running every day. I also understand busy schedules. If I have to run Saturday morning and again on Sunday afternoon, so be it. Every person is different and every person should be in tune with what their body will allow.
  • fjsutton
    fjsutton Posts: 60 Member
    Hi there!! I completed C25K and ran my first 5K about 5 years ago😲 (didn’t realize it had been that long) imagine what was put back on in those 5 years ... but anyway... I’ve lost about 85#s with just diet and i feel I’m ready to add workouts back into my routine. Since i liked C25K before ... i am wanting to start again soon. 🏃🏽‍♀️
  • frannie_h20
    I did Week 1 Run 2 today. I'm in the UK so also cold and dark!

I was tired tonight after first week back at work. After my toddler went to bed it would have been so easy to not bother. I know as soon as I miss a day I'm just gone though so need to keep at it.
  • eleanorhawkins
    I did Week 1 Run 2 today. I'm in the UK so also cold and dark!

I was tired tonight after first week back at work. After my toddler went to bed it would have been so easy to not bother. I know as soon as I miss a day I'm just gone though so need to keep at it.

Well done for getting it done! That is exactly why I run first thing in the morning, I know if I leave it later chances are I'll be too tired or come up with an excuse to skip it.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Just back from getting in my Week 1 Day 3 run, first run outdoors since Christmas Eve for me! It felt great to be back out there, and forcing myself to follow the programme even though a month ago I was doing so much more than this will hopefully make me ease back into it gently enough to recover properly and stop me from getting overexcited and hurting myself again when the physiotherapist gives permission for more running! It always surprises me how much quicker I can walk and run outdoors compared to the treadmill. The 4.23 km altogether for this morning (30 minute workout with an extra half a kilometre walk on each end for more warm-up and cool-down) took me 45 minutes, whereas the same thing on the TM on Thursday took me an hour! My Fitbit didn't actually register that I was running though, it logged all 45 minutes walking so I guess my goal of running as slow as was physically possible must have worked lol.
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    Hello all, I'm trying to motivate myself and make time for C25K again. I've done it twice in 5 years and just last week started over again with week 2. I will probably repeat week 2 or 3 several times until I lose some weight first before I head more seriously into week 4 and 5.
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    Hi All, as you can see from my c25k diary thread I'm only 4 runs off completing. Have absolutely loved it though and recommended it to all my friends. Good luck to those just starting out x
  • softandspikey
    softandspikey Posts: 17 Member
    Hi I'd like to join. I'll have to weight a few days as I've just had a small op. But should be good to go by Saturday :)
    Any help appreciated, pretty unfit at the moment. Looking to loose about 100 pounds.
    Thanks for reading x
  • eleanorhawkins
    Hi I'd like to join. I'll have to weight a few days as I've just had a small op. But should be good to go by Saturday :)
    Any help appreciated, pretty unfit at the moment. Looking to loose about 100 pounds.
    Thanks for reading x

Welcome @softandspikey Make sure you have doctor's approval first, then take it nice and easy to start. I don't know how much exercise you currently do but if it's not very much and when you do start you find it hard, don't get upset about it. When I first tried to do C25k I was unable to complete the first workout, and had to make my own easier version to work up to it. I think my very first runs were something like 15 or 20 seconds followed by 5 minutes of walking! Then I slowly added seconds to the runs and cut seconds from the walks until I was ready to start the programme itself. Now I've run a half marathon, so it obviously worked! Having to start from scratch as I come back from an injury, and although frustrating it's kinda fun to start over :-)
    Completed Week 1 on Saturday, I see my physiotherapist this evening, we'll see whether she gives me the ok to move on and if so whether she'll make me stick to Week 2 or let me go a bit quicker....
  • frannie_h20
    I finished Week 1 yesterday even though i wasn't feeling great. I feel awful today though and actually took a day off work which is very unlike me. I have no idea if I'll be well enough to run tomorrow but I hope so 🤞
  • softandspikey
    softandspikey Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks for reading x

Welcome @softandspikey Make sure you have doctor's approval first, then take it nice and easy to start. I don't know how much exercise you currently do but if it's not very much and when you do start you find it hard, don't get upset about it. When I first tried to do C25k I was unable to complete the first workout, and had to make my own easier version to work up to it. I think my very first runs were something like 15 or 20 seconds followed by 5 minutes of walking! Then I slowly added seconds to the runs and cut seconds from the walks until I was ready to start the programme itself. Now I've run a half marathon, so it obviously worked! Having to start from scratch as I come back from an injury, and although frustrating it's kinda fun to start over :-)
    Completed Week 1 on Saturday, I see my physiotherapist this evening, we'll see whether she gives me the ok to move on and if so whether she'll make me stick to Week 2 or let me go a bit quicker....

Thank you very much , I hope you get the ok to move on , on Saturday :)
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    I seem to have become a chronic repeater of C25k, have just started it for the third time in 2 years! Back in late summer of 2017 I followed the programme for the first time after building up to it gradually (when I first tried I couldn't even cope with the week 1 workouts) and continued with the 10k programme, getting to where I could run for an hour straight on my treadmill. Then christmas, holidays and a nasty bout of flu stopped me running for a month or so and I fell off the wagon where running was concerned. Around April last year I started over, but that time I promised myself I would do at least one run per week outdoors. Fell in love with running outside big time and found myself always heading outside, and again completed the full 10k programme. Then I got overexcited and signed up for a half marathon, which I successfully completed a month ago. However, the training for that and that amount of mileage was a case of 'too much too soon' and left me with extremely overworked leg muscles, which led to a painful injury/recovery period over the last 4 weeks. My physiotherapist has cleared me to start jogging this week, albeit very gently and carefully, so I've decided the best way to go about it is to start from scratch again! Completed W1D2 this morning (back on the treadmill) and am promising myself I'll do day 3 outdoors at the weekend. Can't wait!

Same here (or at least similar). Repeat it for the fourth time in 5 years. I start every spring (~Feb) and run till October. When it get cold and dark I stop it for ~3-4 months and restart next year :)
  • futmom
    futmom Posts: 23 Member
    I just did W1D1 and even though I am out of shape I finished it without much of a problem. Looking forward to doing more running and being able to run farther/faster. I was just wondering if anyone is having a problem syncing the app with MFP. I can't see to get it to link
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    @futmom ive found that all the way through. Its been much easier than i thought it would be x