Low Carb Bread?

Options
2»

Replies

• gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    tayusuki wrote: »
    I have come across a pretty decent biscuit recipe I've been tweaking. It's not like buttermilk though I think I'm going to try going that direction.

Besides that, all my bread recipes have failed miserably.

When you get the biscuits perfected, I would love the recipe!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I just pulled a recipe for keto reuben soup...can't wait to try it...sans bread

Any chance we could get a link to that recipe??? Sounds yummo.
    You might want to make the keto dinner rolls over on dietdoctor.com to go with that. My husband thinks they almost taste like a rye bread. I think the color is fooling him, but they are good with other soups and stews, so would be nice with rueben soup even if no rye flavor is involved.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/our-most-popular-recipe-the-keto-bread

Might be even more possible to make the rolls more rye-ish by adding a bit of sour ( tiny dab ACV?) And a sprinkle of Caraway seeds to the 'dough.'
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/easy-paleo-keto-bread-recipe/

So far, I think this is my favorite recipe. Tasty, good for sandwiches, toast, eating with soup or stew...

One hack I discovered after making the recipe above is how to store my lovingly made LC loaf. I simply put it in a clean, dry paper bag, rolled it closed, and left it on the kitchen table. The next day, after cutting off a couple more slices, I discarded the paper bag and put the loaf in a fresh, DRY paper bag, closed it and once again kept it at room temperature. The third day, I changed out the paper bag again, closed it up and stored it in the refrigerator. I've been working on that loaf for over a week. It's getting a bit dry, but NO MOLD. Toasted some last night to eat with stew; still tastes great. ;) The thing is, you don't want to make the mistake I've made multiple times of trying to store it in something that will trap moisture, like a covered cake stand, plastic wrap, Tupperware, etc. because it will mold pretty quickly that way. You can slice your LC bread and freeze it, of course, pulling out slices as needed, but my freezer is full. :)

Another recipe I really like is:

https://sugarfreelondoner.com/low-carb-bread-chia-almond-bread/

Very nice texture. I used the recommended substitution of Greek yoghurt instead of quark.
  • MistressPi
    Options
    tayusuki wrote: »
    I have come across a pretty decent biscuit recipe I've been tweaking. It's not like buttermilk though I think I'm going to try going that direction.

Besides that, all my bread recipes have failed miserably.

When you get the biscuits perfected, I would love the recipe!

My favorite recipe for biscuits is this one. They are easy to make, light and really good!

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/coconut-flour-cheddar-drop-biscuits

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @MistressPi thanks for the links. I can't wait to try that bread!
  • gwendyprism
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/easy-paleo-keto-bread-recipe/

So far, I think this is my favorite recipe. Tasty, good for sandwiches, toast, eating with soup or stew...

One hack I discovered after making the recipe above is how to store my lovingly made LC loaf. I simply put it in a clean, dry paper bag, rolled it closed, and left it on the kitchen table. The next day, after cutting off a couple more slices, I discarded the paper bag and put the loaf in a fresh, DRY paper bag, closed it and once again kept it at room temperature. The third day, I changed out the paper bag again, closed it up and stored it in the refrigerator. I've been working on that loaf for over a week. It's getting a bit dry, but NO MOLD. Toasted some last night to eat with stew; still tastes great. ;) The thing is, you don't want to make the mistake I've made multiple times of trying to store it in something that will trap moisture, like a covered cake stand, plastic wrap, Tupperware, etc. because it will mold pretty quickly that way. You can slice your LC bread and freeze it, of course, pulling out slices as needed, but my freezer is full. :)

Another recipe I really like is:

https://sugarfreelondoner.com/low-carb-bread-chia-almond-bread/

Very nice texture. I used the recommended substitution of Greek yoghurt instead of quark.

Great info. Thanks!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ignorant question but are any of these suitable for a bread maker? Hubs said he'll make me a loaf if I can find a recipe that works well in the bread maker.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Ignorant question but are any of these suitable for a bread maker? Hubs said he'll make me a loaf if I can find a recipe that works well in the bread maker.

Most of these don't use yeast in the recipe, so you can just mix it by hand or by stand, and bake it in a loaf pan or whatever you have, in the oven.

Alternatively, most breadmakers I've used have had some sort of mix function for general mix baking. So if his has that, you can just cook using that, remove the stirrer, and bake or transfer to the oven to bake.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've never made actual keto bread myself but I have also used Joseph's lavash wraps and made Carbquik biscuits.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    yo1744hr7bin.jpeg

So I made these and they are the most like bread I have found annnd all the carb lovers love them! They are high fiber and low carb, about 150 cals each.

Ingredients:
    Almond flour
    Flaxseed
    Coconut flour
    Hemp hearts
    Eggs
    Savory herbs
    Olive oil

I cut them in half lengthwise for little breakfast sandwiches!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,887 Member
    Options
    I like the cloud bread on pinterest
  • gdaydreamer
    gdaydreamer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find a recipe that makes me even vaguely feel like I was eating actual bread, A local store here sells Sola bread and I just keep it in the freezer when I just "have to have" a sandwich
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Most recipies just make me irritated it's not the kind of "Bread" i want. I, too, like Sola I also like Killer Dave's thin sliced 21 grains, or the thin sliced wheat.

I've never tried the recipe @MistressPi shared. I'll give it a go...who knows, maybe I'll like it. :smiley:
  • gwendyprism
    edited January 2019
    Options
    So far I've been happiest with the simple mug bread (3T almond flour, 1T oil,1 egg, 1/2 t baking powder) Last night I did a double recipe and made a waffle. It worked great.
  • nch5013
    nch5013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This isn't a recipe (eek! I'm lazy with the baking! and it never turns out well so I've quit trying!), but I've tried (purchased) these: SoLo carb bread, Thinslim, and Paleothin. SoLo is 3g per slice and is by far the BEST bread I've found. Springy, not dense, toasts well and can be eaten just thawed. Thinslim is OK - it gets pretty hard when toasted and doesn't do it for me plain. And well, the paleo was just tooooo dense. Almost like a banana bread texture. Wasn't a fan.

I give 2 thumbs up for the SoLo. Albeit slightly pricey - 27 bucks for 3 loafs (shipping included) - 3 varieties - wheat, white and rye. I throw them in the freezer and it lasts me several months - so I justify the cost!
  • MistressPi
    Options

I tried this product in my ancient (1st generation circa the 1980s) bread machine.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/low-carb-bread-mix.html

The bread didn't rise a second time, so the resulting loaf was an epic fail. However, I think it would probably work if you put your bread machine on the "manual" setting, and removed the dough after the first knead, shaped it into a loaf, put it in your oiled bread pan and let it rise once, then bake as directed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »

I tried this product in my ancient (1st generation circa the 1980s) bread machine.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/low-carb-bread-mix.html

The bread didn't rise a second time, so the resulting loaf was an epic fail. However, I think it would probably work if you put your bread machine on the "manual" setting, and removed the dough after the first knead, shaped it into a loaf, put it in your oiled bread pan and let it rise once, then bake as directed.

Awesome. Thanks!