Struggling with emotional issues after returning to LCHF

Options
Violet_Flux
Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
On Sunday January 6th we resumed the LCHF diet, after several months (perhaps nearly a year) of false starts. The previous 4 to 6 weeks we were especially careless about our food choices.

Since Sunday, we've had extremely poor sleep at night, due to interruptions by very vivid dreams and a frequent need to urinate. The dreams are troubling as, generally, we have been unaware of dreams for the past several months.

In addition, while awake we have been plagued by mood swings and emotional turmoil. Monday Jan 7, were extreme mood swings. Tuesday Jan 8, we were exhausted through most of the day, and felt highly dissociative. Wednesday Jan 9, were more mood swings, alternating between anger and despair. Yesterday we experienced a bit of mania and hyperactivity. Today we are back to mood swings, primarily anger and upset.

The only change in our routine or behavior which coincided with this turmoil, was the return to a carbohydrate-restricted diet.

LCHF is the only diet which has been successful for us so we are reluctant to abandon it, and it was highly successful for us in the past. We do not recall suffering these issues during our previous experiences with this diet regimine. We do suffer ongoing memory issues, but I am confident that if we had this experience in the past it would have been noteworthy enough to have been recorded in our diet log.

The situation today has reached a point where we cannot ignore it any longer, so I am here asking for help and advice.

I am hoping that some of the experts here may have suggestions on how we might be able to deal with this reaction, and if it can be mitigated, or if it might be temporary and will subside if we can perservere through it.

Thank you.

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Options
    Thank you baconslave for replying to my query.

I am uncertain how our appetite has been affected as I generally am not aware of it, but we had not considered the impact of insufficient caloric intake, nor that decreased fat intake might have that affect on the body or mind.

To be sure, while we have gained some weight recently, we are nowhere near the level we were at when originally embarking on the LCHF way of eating. That may not be a factor, but I believe the difference would be how much body fat is available to be metabolized then versus now?

Our sodium intake tends to be under-reported in the food diary, as both Violet and Viola use rather more salt with their meals than indicated; the quantity reported tends to be a token sum to note that it was used, rather than exactly how many grams. One of our doctors monitors our sodium levels at 6-month intervals and it has been acceptable, though during this diet transition there may be a short-term imbalance.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much of the mood issues are really LCHF or just sleep deprivation, it's hard to tell since the sleep issue is present.

Definitely salt if you think that might be an issue. Also, I know keto can cause drops in melatonin production. Plus, magnesium is required for melatonin uptake, so if water is flushed and magnesium is low, that would be a cause for sleep problems.

If it were me, I would try some ingested melatonin along with topical magnesium or an epsom salt bath before bed.
  • Violet_Flux
    Options
    Thank you tcunbeliever for your suggestions.

We have been supplementing with 300mg of Magnesium Citrate (taken orally) every evening prior to bed.

I will investigate melatonin supplementation.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I'm not so sure that nightmares/dreams would have been noteworthy enough to be in your diet log but certainly I don't know for sure. I say this because I recall back in February or March of 2018 you posted being surprised you found ketostix in your house but did not recall eating a ketogenic diet. Yet prior to that (mid August 2017) you posted about your 1 year Ketoversary.

Yes. Memory issues are quite common with DID as are vivid dreams and/or disturbing nightmares. That said, when one starts eating a ketogenic diet, vivid dreams/nightmares seem to be a bit of a phenomenon. At least I've read several posts in various keto forums about people having and remembering the dreams/nightmares. Experiencing or recalling them was uncommon for them pre-keto. Between restarting keto/lchf and DID ( I recall you indicated in a previous post that is your diagnosis and apologize if I am incorrectly recalling that) you're sort of getting hit with a possible "double whammy".

I hope you get some resolution to your poor sleep. Keto does have the effect of feeling "wired" for some and disrupting sleep. For others, it seems sleep improves with keto lchf. Also call me overly cautious but you might want to research the use of melatonin prior to taking it especially if you are taking any other type of meds. Talk to your doc/docs about use of melatonin or any supplement.

I've not had much experience with doctors in my 65 years except in the last couple of months (had a heart attack). I've not walked into any doctor's office for anything that they haven't asked for a list of medications (right down to the dosage) INCLUDING supplements.

On Sunday January 6th we resumed the LCHF diet, after several months (perhaps nearly a year) of false starts. The previous 4 to 6 weeks we were especially careless about our food choices.

Since Sunday, we've had extremely poor sleep at night, due to interruptions by very vivid dreams and a frequent need to urinate. The dreams are troubling as, generally, we have been unaware of dreams for the past several months.

In addition, while awake we have been plagued by mood swings and emotional turmoil. Monday Jan 7, were extreme mood swings. Tuesday Jan 8, we were exhausted through most of the day, and felt highly dissociative. Wednesday Jan 9, were more mood swings, alternating between anger and despair. Yesterday we experienced a bit of mania and hyperactivity. Today we are back to mood swings, primarily anger and upset.

The only change in our routine or behavior which coincided with this turmoil, was the return to a carbohydrate-restricted diet.

LCHF is the only diet which has been successful for us so we are reluctant to abandon it, and it was highly successful for us in the past. We do not recall suffering these issues during our previous experiences with this diet regimine. We do suffer ongoing memory issues, but I am confident that if we had this experience in the past it would have been noteworthy enough to have been recorded in our diet log.

The situation today has reached a point where we cannot ignore it any longer, so I am here asking for help and advice.

I am hoping that some of the experts here may have suggestions on how we might be able to deal with this reaction, and if it can be mitigated, or if it might be temporary and will subside if we can perservere through it.

Thank you.

• cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Medications and caffeine affect us differently when we are consistently low-carb / keto. That is something to consider, as well.

(If you are consuming caffeine) you can cut back on that and see how you feel. Obviously any medication adjustments would be discussed with your doctors.

I hope you are feeling better soon!
  • Violet_Flux
    Options
    Thank you kpk54, your memory is excellent and you are correct about our diagnosis.

Your post reminds me that there are documented studies demonstrating that in DID, different 'personalities' can present different physiological responses to medications. This leads me to wonder if we are now experiencing a different response to the diet than our former 'main personality'.

That person, Stephanie, is no longer with us in any way, and those who are here now were primarily dormant in the past. Violet who is most-often present has only been active for approximately thirteen months, and Viola even less, roughly seven months since she awoke. Neither are present currently, due to the crisis we find ourselves in.

cricketpower, thank you for that observation. We do drink tea on a daily basis, and Viola drinks a caffeinated diet soda. We will discuss cutting back or eliminating caffeine, to see if that makes a difference.
  • Violet_Flux
    Options
    I am back again with an update and a question.

We have uncovered this morning a possible (psychological) cause for the past week's difficulties.

This has led me to question:
    Is it possible to benefit from the carbohydrate-reduced diet if it is only enforced six days of the week? The seventh day would be open for unrestricted carbohydrates.

Our current understanding of the science behind the diet, is that strict adherence is required otherwise the body will fail to converto a 'fat burning metabolism'. However we are facing some issues (which Violet feels may be too "wierd" to share) which may require us to take a more lenient approach. I can elaborate on those issues if necessary.

Thank you again.
  • Violet_Flux
    Options
    Hey folks - so it won't let me delete our previous post or edit it or whatever.

It looks like we've uncovered some issues about the whole diet thing that we gotta really reconsider. Like basically without everyone on-board and in agreement, it's kinda abusive to force some of the parts into it without their consent?

Not saying we're giving up or whatever, but we gotta figure out how to do it so that noone feels forced or trapped or abused or whatever.

If anyone wants us to explain we can, but otherwise "its complicated" lol.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions and stuff, and sorry for bringing our drama and crazytalk here.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I have 2 friends who "carb cycle". I believe I've seen posts here of people who do as well.

One of my friends does it as part of her body building regime, I'm not 100% sure why the other does. However they both have a set number of days with very low carbs and a set day or two with a higher amount.

I'm sure there are others here who do or who have experience with it.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    How incredibly difficult that must be to navigate. I agree that carb cycling can work, especially in conjunction with exercise. Is there a particular reason one is against low carb? Would presenting evidence for it be effective?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    In a healthy metabolism both pathways are always available for cellular energy - glucose and ketone. So, you don't have to do anything to convert to "fat burning metabolism" as it's part of the normal human body.

As for the carb cycling (6 days LC, 1 day HC), yes, that is still going to give you much of the benefits of LC (reduced insulin, more insulin sensitivity, appetite suppression) and it's totally appropriate particularly if it helps with adherence over time.

I carb cycle sometimes (not this month) and have two words of caution. One, just be aware that you may have food cravings return after the HC day. For me they definitely kick in, but as long as I'm prepared for them I can still stay on track. Two, be aware that water weight will fluctuate after the HC day. So you will likely wake up the next day several pounds heavier just from water and don't let it make you feel like the overall plan is not working. You may want to make the morning of the HC day your weekly weigh in since that will likely be the most stable water weight time for at carb cycling schedule like you are planning.
  • Violet_Flux
    Options
    Thanks for that info @tcunbeliever. Right now we were figuring on only weighing-in monthly, but keeping the water-fluctuation in mind we'll try and organize things around that. We haven't decided yet what the actual schedule will be, everything is still really up in the air for now. It may not even be something we can keep to a schedule, it may be the high-carb day just happens when it happens.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    What @mmultanen suggests is very similar to what I was thinking. Perhaps all of you (the adults) could agree to a common calorie deficit and take turns planning the menu and cooking. I would think the 6 year old has some adult imposed boundries a might be cooperative with cookies within her calorie amount?

It is not unusual in a household to share planning, shopping and cooking responsibilities or to have to give and take on both mealtimes and menu.