What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,371 Member
    Options
    A breakfast idea I spotted and want to try (copied to my wall so I can find it again!)

If you have a rice cooker with a brown rice or porridge function, it makes great steel cut oats. You can do it in an instant pot as well. I add some cinnamon, dried cranberries, chopped apples and pecans or walnuts to mine. I put them into mini loaf pans and freeze, then put them in sandwich bags for individual portions. 2 minutes in the microwave heats them up.

After posting last night, I discovered that the scale ALSO has 3 "mode settings" for:
    •weight (units can be oz or gms)
    •fl oz - water
    •fl oz - milk

Soooo one could put a mug on the scale, zero it and set mode to "water" for how many fl oz black coffee or tea; zero again, and set mode to "milk" to see how many fl oz milk / cream you added ....

or if one used hot milk as a base for the instant hot chocolate ...
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    I just picked up a digital scale last night - registers 1 gm => 11 kg and you can "zero the scale". I LIKE that feature!

I use a digital scale on a regular basis. I wouldn't know how to accurately determine calories, portions, etc. without one. I purchased my scale years ago which weighs in grams, ounces, pounds & ounces. Instead of purchasing a kitchen scale, I purchased an UltraShip postal scale which weighs to within 2 grams of accuracy but also up to 55 pounds. We actually use it to weigh our carry-on luggage when traveling, too. Have to put a big diameter pot on the scale first, zero it out, and then add luggage on top of the pot so the luggage won't cover up the read-out on the scale. This scale sits on my kitchen counter 100% of the time, though, and is used daily as I weigh each food item that goes on my plate. Couldn't be without it.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,998 Member
    Options
    I just picked up a digital scale last night - registers 1 gm => 11 kg and you can "zero the scale". I LIKE that feature!

I use a digital scale on a regular basis. I wouldn't know how to accurately determine calories, portions, etc. without one. I purchased my scale years ago which weighs in grams, ounces, pounds & ounces. Instead of purchasing a kitchen scale, I purchased an UltraShip postal scale which weighs to within 2 grams of accuracy but also up to 55 pounds. We actually use it to weigh our carry-on luggage when traveling, too. Have to put a big diameter pot on the scale first, zero it out, and then add luggage on top of the pot so the luggage won't cover up the read-out on the scale. This scale sits on my kitchen counter 100% of the time, though, and is used daily as I weigh each food item that goes on my plate. Couldn't be without it.

Me too! A total habit now :)))
    Easy!
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    “What doesn’t challenge us doesn’t change us” - Chaitanya Charan (?)

I want to challenge myself a lot more physically by switching up my exercise choices and intensity, but I need some sport-nutrition guidance before I will feel comfortable doing so.

What’s holding me back is almost the opposite from what many on MFP are looking for … a list of suggested high (but quality) calorie / low bulk foods that I can add to my over-all daily intake arsenal while eating back a higher number of exercise calories.

There is nothing physical in terms of stamina, endurance or injury to hold me back. However, I am also 60 yrs old, short (5’3”), work at a sedentary desk job, have reached practically-normal-BMI-zone for my height, and am currently only assigned 1250 net calories per day for a target 0.5 lb per week rate of loss.

If it makes any difference, a US Navy formula calculation site that works from measurements puts my BF% at ~36% (not exactly surprising given the typical “now-senior female who defined exercise as = cardio all her life” bias and the fact that I have never even known how to find out a ball-park BF% measure before). That’s the main driver behind my wanting to re-vamp my exercise intensity and activity choices.

I find the quantities I already eat are perfectly satisfying for my current activity level, while consistently respecting my nutritional breakdown display in my Food Diary. FYI, I took 20 months to shed 40 pounds, and have been committed to the “find a healthy, maintainable lifestyle” mindset right from the start.

My current MFP settings leave VERY little room to maneuver between exercise calories not eaten back to re-raise my Net Calories for the day vs regularly hitting an unhealthy Net Calorie level of 1100 (or significantly less). This (as mentioned at the start) is the factor behind the mental resistance holding me back.

My major macro % split (overall carb vs fat vs protein) is currently left at the MFP default breakdown. I have no specific medical-related proportions that I am advised to adhere to.

I also have no specific objection to perhaps changing the macro percentages, but would like to be confident that the re-balance is following sound sport-nutrition practice.

My family was never “sporty”, so this is not the kind of information I might have learned young … nor do I have family / friends / acquaintances I could ask that are into either regular strength training or race-competition training. So I haven’t a clue of where to even begin to look for this information, or how to judge if it is “actually sound” vs “popular press misrepresented” information.

@BMcC9 For lifting and muscle retention/building purposes, general advice is around 1g of protein per pound of body weight. My current cutting calorie goal is 1750. That will avg to about 1.5 lbs a week loss. I try to get about 180 g of protein per day, around 130 g of carbs and around 50 g fat per day during a weight loss or cutting cycle. About 40% protein, 30-35% carbs and about 25-30% fat. For maintenance or bulking, adjust the carbs up to meet your calorie goal. When I start bulking, I will be intaking around 300-400 g of carbs per day at about 2700-2800 calories.
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I have a digital food scale. Love it! It helps me learn what REAL portions look like.
  • BMcC9
    edited January 2019
    Options
    “What doesn’t challenge us doesn’t change us” - Chaitanya Charan (?)

I want to challenge myself a lot more physically by switching up my exercise choices and intensity, but I need some sport-nutrition guidance before I will feel comfortable doing so.

If it makes any difference, a US Navy formula calculation site that works from measurements puts my BF% at ~36% (not exactly surprising given the typical “now-senior female who defined exercise as = cardio all her life” bias and the fact that I have never even known how to find out a ball-park BF% measure before). That’s the main driver behind my wanting to re-vamp my exercise intensity and activity choices.

I also have no specific objection to perhaps changing the macro percentages, but would like to be confident that the re-balance is following sound sport-nutrition practice.

@BMcC9 For lifting and muscle retention/building purposes, general advice is around 1g of protein per pound of body weight. My current cutting calorie goal is 1750. That will avg to about 1.5 lbs a week loss. I try to get about 180 g of protein per day, around 130 g of carbs and around 50 g fat per day during a weight loss or cutting cycle. About 40% protein, 30-35% carbs and about 25-30% fat. For maintenance or bulking, adjust the carbs up to meet your calorie goal. When I start bulking, I will be intaking around 300-400 g of carbs per day at about 2700-2800 calories.

Thanks for the specifics! I juggled my split to 45/ 25 / 30 when I started the HIIT program ... with this information, I will take a second look at protein allotment and see if that still works out ~ right.

According to my bike (which gives a lower reading than inputting measurements into the website) I have managed to burn measurable body fat. Despite eating MORE than before, and at the same time leaving MORE exercise calories uneaten. Coming up on 2 weeks of that change. And now the digital scale means that the food logging will be more exact too.

I will re-measure inches and re-calc on the website this weekend.

Stay tuned, all. I may hit Normal BM1 (1.7 lbs to go) by Feb 5th (Chinese New Year) after all!
  • djinn924
    djinn924 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    While those numbers are ok for someone that has made it through the fat loss phase and zeroed in on what works for there body that is not to say it works for everyone. I have been doing keto which is roughly 75% fat 20% protein 5% carbs, that is not to say I stick to those numbers strictly but I have been in ketosis for a short time now and I feel amazing. I am eating less, not nearly as hungry and I have no desire to quit (yet as we can’t know the future, although even if I want to I won’t). The interesting thing about keto is once you become fat adapted you burn fat stores at over twice the rate as if you are just burning glucose and you don’t get the crashes, need for naps, cravings (except in the beginning) and I am not going to lie keto coffee is pretty darn good ( I thought it would be gross but I like it). There are a myriad of other benefits such as apoptosis and a bunch of other science things I know nothing about but I am trying to learn more. If you want the first hand knowledge you can watch the YouTube video of both

Thomas DeLauer and Dr. Eric Berg.

Both are great resources and lead to other good resources on the subject matter. On another note the food scale is a must I am the worst at gaging the right amount of food so I recommend one to anyone weather they are on a diet or not because it is worth knowing how much you eat.

Discipline = Freedom

P.S. congrats to everyone who has made it this far. The only thing that can stop you is yourself so don’t look at it as a diet look at it as a lifestyle change. When that alarm clock calls you in the morning don’t give into the immediate gratification of turning it on snooze and taking a few extra minutes.... get up..... get out of bed....... and crush your day!!!!!!! Good luck everyone
  • djinn924
    Options
    Correction: not apoptosis, I meant Autophagy. Sorry for the correction
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Copied from a different thread .... but I REALLY like and believe in the sentiment. It sums up the idea of evolving strategies into a sustainable lifestyle.

================

consistency: the quality of always being the same, doing things in the same way, having the same standards

In our weight loss journey, consistency is a key to our success. When we consistently complete the methods we have chosen to lead us to victory such as recording our food, drinking our specified amount of water, exercising, or planning our meals ahead of time, we are going to see good things happen. And we will not find ourselves regaining all that weight (again).

Consistency wants to be your life long companion! Let's embrace it!

qb26uy8cyyvh.png
  • djinn924
    Options
    Quick question, do I count the calories I puke up? My 2 year old graciously shared his sickness with me and I could not keep my lunch or dinner down today. Technically the only thing I have kept down all day is my omelette from breakfast..... my thought on it is although most came back up some of it must have digested right? Idk what are your thoughts? I guess it would be a good time to fast seeing as how I don’t even want to see food much less eat anything haha
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @djinn924, only if you weigh and measure it all. LOL! In all seriousness, hope you feel better soon.
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    djinn924 wrote: »
    Quick question, do I count the calories I puke up? My 2 year old graciously shared his sickness with me and I could not keep my lunch or dinner down today. Technically the only thing I have kept down all day is my omelette from breakfast..... my thought on it is although most came back up some of it must have digested right? Idk what are your thoughts? I guess it would be a good time to fast seeing as how I don’t even want to see food much less eat anything haha

No. There is no dieting when you are sick. Reduce your deficit until you are back on your feet, then you can resume your normal deficit.
  • djinn924
    Options
    Hey all back to feeling better, I have made it to 174 just another 3 lbs till I am taking my second progress pic anyone willing to share there’s? I will have my new pic up in the next week or so good luck everyone

Discipline = Freedom
  • BMcC9
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Is it possible that something I checked / unchecked on my Settings is preventing me from receiving Friend Requests? As in I can't open the tab to see who has sent them to me?

I've done everything else they suggested and NOTHING has fixed my issue .... which is definitely from their end because it makes no difference whether I am on Firefox or Explorer, or which of SEVERAL computers I am using.

If I don't figure this out very soon, I am going to terminate BMcC9 and reboot as a brand new user BMcC[something else]

But timing is tricky, as I don't want to interfere with (looking good for) credit for this month's Winner's Circle as I have only used 1 pass so far with just over a week to go ....
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 your friends request button is definitely active, I have just sent you one as a test.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    but I can't open the "Requests Received" tab AT MY END to see that it was you! :s I now (including you) have 19 requests pending .....

No matter what physical computer or search engine, I get the same "Error - problem connecting to our server - IT has been notified of the problem" and they have been notified off and on ever since last April. :s:s:'(:s:s
  • djinn924
    Options
    BMcC9 I think you must getting shadow banned haha. But in all seriousness did you contact customer support? Also is it at all possible that you have too many friends? Try deleting some old inactive friends and see if that works.
  • BMcC9
    edited January 2019
    Options
    is customer support different than "open a case via Contact Us email" , which I have already done - and tried all their suggestions? and I only have 4 or 5 friends, 2 from spring 2018 and 3 less than a month ago. In all cases, I initiated the friend request. I now have ANOTHER new request, and can't see who it is!

But thanks for the suggestions!
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Just did a friend request as well, @BMcC9. Hope you get it figured out soon.
    Bonnie