Haters...

Options

Replies

• KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree with "I'm sorry you feel that way" !

Although, I really don't talk to people about it unless they ask and seem open. And even then I don't mention 'keto' because although it's common now, there are so many misconceptions and so many strong (& often misguided) opinions.
    When people ask how I've lost weight I usually just tell people I have cut out sugar reduced my carb intake. You don't owe people explanations about your personal choices - especially the ones that work for you since you know yourself best! If prople are seriously searching for something that works, I give them more details, but stop if they are just looking to be critical.
  • gimmekimchee_x
    gimmekimchee_x Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    wtm3ee8qdrsg.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA! 🤣
  • stormywxs288
    stormywxs288 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Talk is cheap! What haters say and frankly what you say to them matters little. What matters is results. We are all experiments of ONE. Is it working for you? For me; I've lost about 30 pounds, gained mental clarity, my joints feel and work better, my mood and attitude are much improved and more...…. In short, I don't have to verbally defend keto. It works for me! I know it and I show it.
  • GinetteHaz
    GinetteHaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So many good attitudes and advice! I’m pumped from just reading all this!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    The best response I have found is "I'm sorry you feel that way."

You don't have to educate anyone, particularly if they aren't going to listen anyway. You don't owe anyone any explanation. You are the only person who gets to decide what you do with your body because you are the only person who lives in it. That is 100% all you. No one else gets a vote.

Absolutely the perfect response and I use it all the time...I don't owe anyone any excuses, reasons, explanations, or arguments. Unless they've made the Unbreakable Vow that they will take care of me for the rest of my life when I am morbidly overweight and unhealthy, then they can just carry on with themselves, and leave me be.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I had more comments at first. It's easier now - possibly because they are used to me eating this way or possibly because keto is now more know. But even 4 years ago I did not get too many comments. Meat with a side veggie, passing on the bread, is not that unusual.... plus I am a celiac so I need to skip the gluten foods anyways. ;)

A simple no thanks, or I'm not hungry, often works fine too. ;) Although some people in your life need to be told to butt out. Sheesh. Rude. (Hugs)
    2t9nty wrote: »
    Larkspur94 wrote: »

So comes second strike, our GP's. None of the doctors at our surgery support the keto diet. I've also faced the fire. 'You need more carbs in your diet. Body needs carbs to function. High fat is unhealthy, blah blah'. I don't believe her doctor knows she's off the statins and it's simply because she's afraid to tell him and get the backlash. Her blood work hasn't given her away.

I told my doctor I wanted to lose some weight, and he gave me some xeroxed sheets. I tried it, and I was eating in a healthier way before the xeroxed sheet "plate" version of SAD. I tried low carb and then lowered carbs to be keto.

I lost about a pound a week between appointments, and the doctor commented that it was so rare to have a patient actually take a doctor's advice with diet. He was pleased with my progress. I told him, I had been successful really because I had ignored his advice. I asked if he wanted to know what I was doing. He laughed and said I should just keep doing it. After he left the examining room, the nurse said, "You can tell me."

:D LOL
  • markdvsmo
    markdvsmo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The only way some can rise above the crowd is to try to mash down everyone around them. I talk freely about keto to those who ask and seem open-minded about it. The rest I ignore, for the most part.
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    How do you respond to people who constantly put you down when you are trying to better yourself. I have several family members and friends who discourage me on a daily basis. I hear " it'll never work", "you'll just gain it all back in a month", "stop being stupid and just eat whatever you want".

And sometimes I'm actually embarrassed when I eat in front of other people because they make comments and I when I tell them I'm trying to eat better they proceed to make fun of me. They say things like "keto diet is just a fad" "keto people just eat bacon all day and think they will lose weight". It pisses me off because I dont eat bacon all day and if I eat a piece of bread here and there I dont need them telling me I've already failed and should just give up.

Sorry for the long rant, but this is the stuff I hear all the time and it does get to me. Do any of you have people in your lives like this?

I can handle eating differently than my husband and kids because they support me and if they make fun it's all just light-hearted. But some people are just flat out mean and it DOES get me down. It's not easy when you're an emotional eater like me too. I'm sad, I know. Can anyone relate?

Too late now but I've found it better to not tell extended family and friends what I'm doing diet-wise. Often they feel self conscious about what they are eating in front of you. They don't want to feel bad about the choices they are making, so they attack your attempt to eat healthy. If someone asks why I'm not eating something, I just make general comments like "I'm trying not to eat so much sugar."
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It's odd isn't it...no one asks a vegetarian when they are going to start eating animals, but everyone assumes that any other kind of dietary health change is just temporary.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    It's odd isn't it...no one asks a vegetarian when they are going to start eating animals, but everyone assumes that any other kind of dietary health change is just temporary.

It takes time. Vegetarians and vegans were seen as Weird hippy freaks just a few decades ago. ;)

...in my house, my boys still view them with suspicion. : D
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo smart boys :)
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    LOL
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I still look at my plate suspiciously when I eat keto so imagine what others think :D . Yikes, just realized I've turned into one of those proper food choice yoga people lmao.
  • wsusan162
    wsusan162 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Tell them "What I put in my mouth is my business, maybe you should pay more attention to what is going into your mouth" MYOB It's snarky, but nothing is more personal than the decisions you make about your body. I also have a problem with anyone making remarks about how you baby is or looks(unless it's the doctor)
  • wsusan162
    wsusan162 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sorry....body, the baby is fine