1200 calories per day person here

Options
124»

Replies

• delaroom
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I joined MFP a while back but didnt really use it. I am an emotional eater. The days that I am "good", 1200 doesnt sound little. But when I am sad or lonely or whatever, I can easily eat up to 3000.

I treid the "intuitive eating". hahaha. It definitely is not for me! I lost my sense of right eating! so I gues I gotta fix that by learning how much my body really needs VS. how much it craves.

I think planning ahead is the best strategy. I overeat when I am confused. But when I have strict rules, no matter how emotional I am, I tend to stick to my rules. I also realized 5,6 sall meals is definitely a better option than 3 big meals with 1200 calorie diet. Otherwise I get hungry before bed, which means lot of midnight snacking.

Anyways, thanks for the group. It feels good to know people succeeded and that "starvation mode" is a myth! haha
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 2BinMaui
    2BinMaui Posts: 1
    Options
    Ditto!
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 a day too. Sometimes less (like a few hundred less after adding in exercise), sometimes more. I'm aiming to clean my diet up a lot and not eat so many processed foods and get more bang for my buck so to speak. Sometimes I eat back my exercise calories, sometimes not. As you can tell for me, it's a very scientific approach, lol! I've lost 12 pounds, so it's working so far.
  • karriechambers
    karriechambers Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am not new to MFP just new to the group. I as well eat 1200 a day. I do struggle as I already lost my weight (eating 1200) and then regained and now back to the 1200 that worked. Looking for support to keep on track. Add me as a friend if you'd like, I enjoy being supportive too :) Have a great evening!
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    1200 target daily here <<<<<
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I am doing 1200 to 1300 and it helps keep me in a parameter the key is to eat vary nutritious because you will not feel energized unless you do.
  • rosiemaji
    rosiemaji Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone is still following this forum but I am one of those people eating between 1200 and 1250 calories per day. In the last 3 months I have lost 14 lbs so it is about a pound a week. I also exercise more than 9 hours a week plus I do weight lifting about 3 times per week. I don't eat back any of the exercise calories so many days my net calorie are well below 1000. Even then, I don't lose more than 1 lb a week. I carefully monitor all of my nutrients and I add supplements (such as calcium) if I come up short. I don't feel like I am starving and sometimes I have to go looking for a little something to eat to bring my calories closer to the 1200 mark.

I am 70 years old, 5' 3.5", pre-diabetic and presently at 193 lbs. 1200 is what MFP recommended if I wanted to lose 1 lb per week. If I put my goal up to 1250 calorie per day, MFP says that my weight loss will be 0.9 lbs per week. MFP will not recommend less than 1200 calories. I switched my numbers around so that I will be eating less carbs, more protein and more fat without going to extremes.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 on days I am not able to go to the gym, but allow up to 1300 on gym days. Yesterday I watched my grandson in the evening and nibbled up to 1402. Days that are the hardest is when I eat out. Often I can not tell how many calories food is at restaurants. Don't eat out much anyway.

Still my weight loss is much slower than MFP predicts. But I am at least losing 2 pounds a month.
  • niskmom
    niskmom Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day as well. Glad to have found this group of people. This thread looks old, but if someone comes across it like I did-- feel free to friend me if you publish your diary to mfp friends. I like to post regularly as it keeps me motivated.

On top of mfp, I also keep my own google spreadsheet. I plugged in how much I would have to burn daily and eat daily, by day, then used my adjusted bmr(weight x 11.3). I multiply by 11.3 because this seems to be the generally agreed upon factor for light exercise (day to day life). Basically, as my weight goes down my bmr goes down, so I use the sheet to track how many calories I need to burn extra to maintain a 2lb a week loss. I like it because I can look at a particular day in the future to see what my weight "should" be. It probably sounds like a bit much, but It motivates me to stay on course. Plus, I love the math. I use the mfp to track calories and my fitbit to track exercise.

Feel free to friend me if you post your diary to friends. It helps me to see what others are making, especially for dinner. I try and comment and be supportive to my mfp friends too.

Happy Monday!
  • xcc670
    xcc670 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Di3012 wrote: »
    I just looked back for the past month of march and I have lost 4 lbs so I guess I am losing slowly but surely on 1200 calories a day. I have finally added a walking program 3-5 days a week so that should help. It just seems I've been overweight forever now. I'm getting really confused about daily calories on the foru s because it seems that everyone is now I to eating more. My husband was trying to point out to me that I've been counti g calories and dieti g for several years now but I always eat my I e cream and I always order fries when we go out. He thinks I need to ear better and less-- not more. I think he might be right so after raising my calories for a couple of days, I lowered them back to 1200 which will allow me to lose a pou d a week and I will make better choices with my food. So glad I found this group because it is really confusing out in the general forums right now.

The walking will definitely help! People often underestimate walking but it is fantastic exercise that doesn't put a strain on the joints.

Regarding the fries, yes, next time you go out for a meal, try something else, perhaps a jacket potato etc. Definitely worth a try!

I try to only go to restaurants that don't serve fries. My husband always orders fries and I have to watch him eat, so it is easier to eat at home or go somewhere without a frier.