Cathartic Thread For Injured Runners, er support for managing injuries. ;-)

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Gah no class. I took 800mg of Advil and a migraine med and happily slept away the pain. I vacuumed mostly on one leg, then sat on the couch a bit. It was a small area and i fear I'm the only upright monkey in this house that knows how it works.

Advil is da bomb. I'll pay for it though. But least i can trade gut pain dor leg pain if i gotta.

I'm not keen on having a day 9. I've decided to stay off the leg for a bit an quit aggravating it, least until i see the doc (Tuesday). I didn't eat much yesterday, so guess i need to cook for myself today. Think I'll try some eggs after this coffee and to make sure my first morning hydrocodone dose kicks in.

Dh mention that the bedding needs washed. "Yes it does, but that is a task i am not up for". I plan on ice and massage today.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - you have a package coming your way... hopefully some things to keep you occupied and entertained while you are recuperating... Amazon said they were all coming together and likely delivered on Monday, now says one thing is coming on Sunday... so who knows!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @elise4270 - you have a package coming your way... hopefully some things to keep you occupied and entertained while you are recuperating... Amazon said they were all coming together and likely delivered on Monday, now says one thing is coming on Sunday... so who knows!

Lol! That’s so nice of you! You never know with our post. If it’s fed ex they tend to hand it off to usps and it adds a day or two. I hope it’s drugs, please be drugs! Hahaha! I’m just kidding! I’ve had 12 Norco in 3 days, down from 12/day. Sitting my *kitten* still seems to be working.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Ha!! Sorry no drugs! I don't think they sell them on Amazon 😂
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Day 10

I suppose pain is getting better, it’s just happening so slowly. Yesterday overall wasn’t so bad. This morning is two steps back. So. I think in cutting back the pain med, I cut back too far. Think today I’ll do 2 then 1 every 4-6 hours. 2 then wait 6 hours and then 1, wait 4 hours and have 2. Or something like that. I think going into the night (when pain seems to accumulate), that will allow me to do 2 every 4 instead of one as I’m not always spreading out the overlap of 1 dose every 2 hours, which never works. Idk if that makes any sense. I’m in pain. And think I took 3 or 4.5 in the last 4-5 hours. Sleepy pain- I just glance at the time and take one if my 4 hours isn’t up, 2 if it is. The half suggests I was in enough pain to push a get over the hump dose. I have one of those weekly pill boxes, think I find it and schedule it all that way. So I’m not guessing at it during the night. It’s hard trying to cut these back and manage pain. Tuesday the doc can advise me: suck it up or yes take them dummy.

Any broken bone stories to share? I didn’t figure it hurt this bad this long. The site of the “break” is tender, not horrible. But hip joint and knee pain are still overwhelming at times.

Dh is home this morning. Yay! Did not have to get my own coffee and I smell eggs and toast. Oops... I’ve been teaching the kitten to ride on my shoulder. He’s taken to it. He jumps on your shoulder when you are in the kitchen. I don’t have a problem with him, he doesn’t dig his claws in to me. I just heard dh scream. Well, bet the kitten is smart enough to catch on that it’s an individual privilege.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Day 11.

Church day. Dh said I'm still not ready to go, thinks I'll be miserable. He's probably right. So, home, kitten, coffee, meds, waiting on a surprise in da mail (doch Monday delivery). I only wanted to go because this er... I was asked to do the sachristine duties for March of last year. Guess once you do them they expect to to always do them. I told them i wasn't available. So i just wanted to prove that I'm not available, not being selfish in passing. But what other people think isnt my problem. Although, you could argue it is... I just remembered a dream. Horrible. Baby alex died. My old dog was there. We had to move to a road side shack. Ugh. Guess i should text him. Horrible. Hes fine. Whew.

I'm anxious for this follow up appointment. I'm hoping some mild pool work will help get over this pain. And help me manage the pain meds in a way to taper off them. Im not opposed to taking them, just know the risk they carry-at some point they tend to betray you, don't work and lie about pain. But i shall be a patient patient.
  • shanaber
    Options
    I wish it was all coming together - it would be much more fun but it is fun to just get packages too!
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber! Dh had to open it, he’s so nosey! Love it!!!!

ETA I made it with one pain med at 4am and one at 8am. Next one not until 1515. Not a bad day! Figure two at 2000, just in case i have night pain.

Netflix: more episodes of Arrested Development
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Day 12

Well I was at the point where I thought weekly cathartic updates would be ideal, rather than daily “kitten me” posts. But, since I can’t find any personal accounts of femoral osteotomy patients, I wanted something to come up for the next person, even if it’s on mfp. So if that’s the case, day 11 the pain seemed to turn around. For the first time since surgery I checked the weight bearing ability of the leg by stepping on a scale with only that leg. PT said to do this. To my surprise i was able to put 65 pounds on that leg, that’s 55% of my weight. I thought “not bad” considering I just read an account where a person wasn’t able to achieve this until 11 weeks post op, but that was a femur fracture.

Pain is still down. I managed on just 5 pain pills yesterday. So hooray! Finally I’ll get to clean those cat boxes!

Man i cant wait until hes too big to fit in there... And go outside to chase critters.
    1k59gku0pn4m.jpg

ETA tried to fix typos... kitten chasing my hands... sorry you’ll figure it out

Ok its asleep... I'm back to pre-op weight (yesterday). So I'll use that as an indication that I'm eating enough and be sure i don't drop below it. Its rather tempting, ya know, not hungry, not active... But I'm older (not 20's where recovery takes half the time). And know that i can seriously compromise my healing if I'm not conscience of it.

The swelling is down in the leg too. Just the knee remains noticably swollen.
  • shanaber
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Yay for improvement @Elise4270!! Baby steps but it is always encouraging to see things getting even a bit better!

Have you thought about taking these daily posts and starting a blog so someone searching for femoral osteotomy would find them? I mean you wouldn't have to type them twice just copy and paste? I have never had a blog but I am sure it can't be that difficult.

ETA - he just wants to be paid attention to! Anytime my husband picks up his iPad Hobbes is in his lap pushing it away... I am sure he is telling him 'if you have time for that thing you can pet me instead!' 😁
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Yay for improvement @Elise4270!! Baby steps but it is always encouraging to see things getting even a bit better!

Have you thought about taking these daily posts and starting a blog so someone searching for femoral osteotomy would find them? I mean you wouldn't have to type them twice just copy and paste? I have never had a blog but I am sure it can't be that difficult.

I don’t know about the blog. I can’t say I’m internet savvy enough to know how to do that with out paying for it. I could you tube some stuff.... but I don’t like looking at myself. Haha! I’ll check it out.
  • shanaber
    Options
    I bet some on the main challenge would know like @lporter229 or @PastorVincent.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    https://wordpress.com/start/user/en?ref=pricing-lp
    I haven't used that particular site, but have played with similar things in the past and it's really simple. This one is apparently the best you can get this year.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Wow! @shanaber! Awesome gifts! Thanks! I should have plenty of idle activities to bouce between! Love the born to run book. I can’t wait to delve into it! Dh wasn’t home to open this box haha!

Doing better and better I think! Changed the sheets and took the kitten outside to chase honey bees... no worries, he can’t catch them.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @elise4270 - glad it got there and you got to open it!! Have fun with them - hope you like to color :smiley: I find it oddly relaxing and used to do it when I was on stressful conference calls...
    Went back and forth on the book - wasn't sure what you had already read but I really like this one so took a chance on it!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I love Born to Run but I actually liked Eat & Run even better. Same race from the perspective of a journalist vs the perspective of one of the competitors (Eat & Run has a lot more to it as well).
  • shanaber
    Options
    Oh @sarahthes - I didn't know about Eat & Run. I will have to check it out now too!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @elise4270 - glad it got there and you got to open it!! Have fun with them - hope you like to color :smiley: I find it oddly relaxing and used to do it when I was on stressful conference calls...
    Went back and forth on the book - wasn't sure what you had already read but I really like this one so took a chance on it!

Well, I'm not a reader so theres an astronomical chance of you picking something I've read. I'll read on particular subjects, running is one of them! I remember picking up coloring again about 13, it definitely helps calm and i think let your brain work while your body is engaged is theraputic. Ive seen studies about walking/running and thinking about a problem or trauma and it helps move the emotional response out of the scenario, left/right brain sort of thing. I've taken advantage of that to manage stress.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Oh @sarahthes - I didn't know about Eat & Run. I will have to check it out now too!

It doubles as a vegan cookbook!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

It doubles as a vegan cookbook!

Does it use a lot of soy products? Or just real basic foods?