April 2019

Replies

• DawnCumm
    DawnCumm Posts: 212 Member
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    So glad to see everyone using the board more! Yay!

I was struggling. Hope it's over. I can share here, because none of you are even remotely close to the situation. My closest friend (family by choice) has an odd relationship with her daughter. Well, last week, her daughter told her she thought she was pregnant. Within five minutes it turned to, I am pregnant, not sure when I'm due, but it's soon. My bf is not the father. I need help. There's so much complexity here, but that's the gist.

Right there with you NicoleL874....stress is tough. I lost my father last year, the whole family is being sued by a estranged daughter, lost my niece in Feb to a car accident, younger 'good' sister ends up with meningitis and almost didn't make it in April, this has been a really tough start to this year. I keep telling myself that the only way to deal with all this is to at minimum take care of yourself so you can take care of your family. Life is too tough on us all sometimes.
  • DawnCumm
    sorry....did the quote and reply wrong!
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    @DawnCumm This is a "better late than never" type of party! Welcome!

One thing to remember: You can't outrun a bad diet.

Your exercise can lapse, but it won't really affect you all that much. Depending on what research you read, diet is 80-90% of the problem. That leaves 10-20% exercise.

Exercise is great for our heart, metabolism, mood, muscles, yadda yadda...but, it's not what keeps us healthy.

As to Easter, try. I'm sure you'll find lots of things you can eat. If it's sweets you think you may falter with, make yourself something you can eat. Set yourself up for success!

Enjoy the beach! (and I'm so sorry about the year you've had)
  • DawnCumm
    So agree, planning my food now. : )
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    So glad to see everyone using the board more! Yay!

I was struggling. Hope it's over. I can share here, because none of you are even remotely close to the situation. My closest friend (family by choice) has an odd relationship with her daughter. Well, last week, her daughter told her she thought she was pregnant. Within five minutes it turned to, I am pregnant, not sure when I'm due, but it's soon. My bf is not the father. I need help. There's so much complexity here, but that's the gist.

So, it's been a week of an emotional trials. I've taken her out several times, and allowed myself (for no good reason) to eat poorly with her. Her support bud. Bleh. Been fooling myself. I made the sugar-free brownies. Sugar-free, but gluten filled.

I feel like crap and know that it's all the crud I've been shoving in my face. It's not been much, and it's not been too often, but I can feel it.

Today, I got a text when I woke up, they are inducing. Keep reassuring her that it's best this way, one week of stress instead of 10 months. (Daughter is giving the baby up)

So, it's been stressful. I've been a part of their lives for 20 years now. When I say family, they are the family I was with on holidays because my own family didn't call.

I have to stop making stupid excuses. I have to focus on me. I know food is not a solution, and I feel like crap. Whether it be menstrual related, emotionally tied, whatnot...food cannot be the answer. So easier said than done sometimes.

So I picked myself up today. I threw out the rest of the brownies. I ignored the break room (even the nuts). I'm going to focus on me.

I'm with everyone else, weekends are HAAAAAARD (insert best whine). Our schedule is never static, so I hate planning. He doesn't eat lunch, so I tend to eat small, quick things. Our dinners are never an issue, we eat the same things over and over...which really doesn't bother me, except veggies. I'm slowly adding them in on the sly every week.

Water is not a problem. I'm floating away over here! My minimum water daily intake is 96oz. Yup, I said minimum...

Glad you were there for your friend and her daughter. This is a lot of emotions for all of you. It’s so easy for stress/emotional eating to slip back in. We understand the struggle.
  • fit_chickx
    Day 14 checking in. Still at four pounds down. Off to the gym this morning.

Commitment to cook and try new recipes:

I have cooked a few new recipes but, I fall back to my standard boring foods when I’m on the run. It’s a work in progress.

Staying on track:

Staying consistent is becoming easier. I’m getting past feeling crappy as I detox off carbs. I had a night snacking slip. I dipped into a jar of Peanut butter. Consistent not perfect. Back to veggies with hummus and strawberries dipped in SF Hershey’s Chocolate.

**Feeling kind weird about this*** There is the most beautiful man I have ever seen at my gym. No harm using this as motivation to get my workout in, Right? Laughing I’m not being a creeper. I focus on me. But dang he looks like Henry Calvill.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Hey ladies I'm pretty far out from surgery now but need to refocus

I regained about 60lb AFTER I gave birth. Had been pretty sick during it, gave birth at 25 weeks and had to have a day surgery 5 weeks post partum that turned into a 5 day stay and the hospital monitoring my food for 3 months to make sure I was eating enough....... Carbs galore!

I still have 17lb of that regain to get rid of, I lost focus at the end of January when I lost my mum

Got my butt back on a low carb way of eating (I'm vegetarian so keto is very hard to achieve)

I'm down 4lb this week...... But it was all in the first 3 days

Exercise wise I'm a bit limited. Struggled with increasing pain for a decade. I now know I have hypermobility and OA but now they are querying inflammatory arthritis

Tried to be extra active this week...... Broke a toe yesterday 😂
  • HelloBodyJoy
    HelloBodyJoy Posts: 27 Member
    KarlaYP wrote: »
    I’m so glad to see more people here too!! This is awesome! I will say that the forums (Low Carber Daily, Keto, an Over 50 Ladies Group that’s sister to the low carb group, and a Carnivore group) have kept me focused on myself too.

@KarlaYP I’ll definitely check out those other forums. And thanks for your kind words and encouraging me. I do keep busy with my little grands, and wanting to be active and healthy for them is great motivation.
    Hugs to everyone

• HelloBodyJoy
    Been struggling but not giving up. I spent several days out of town visiting my daughter and her family where I succumbed to some poor food choices but did fairly well on exercise, portions and not grazing.

@NicoleL874, I’m sorry that you’ve been struggling, and to answer your questions: Yes, loving on my grandbabies whenever possible! Meal planning and prep is better but hit and miss. Working towards getting a few weeks of easy menus that I can rotate through monthly. Weighing daily is on track (easier for me to have as part of my daily morning routine). Exercise: Ugh! not consistently; I’m having some kind of mental block or rebellion with not doing the physical therapy for shoulder pain.

I’m really happy to have made some friends and connections here. At the very least, this challenge has the benefit of having me really look at my choices and consider what the roadblocks are. And the month is ONLY half over (also ALREADY half over LOL). So we keep on keeping on!
  • NicoleL874
    HEY HEY! It's MONDAY!

Food and exercise have been better. Not perfect, but better! Had an incident with a candy dish at Paul's mom's house this weekend...WHOOPS! No regrets.

Exercise is on. Still working PiYo by Beach Body. Chalene Johnson (creator and the one who does the video) is seriously KICKING my BUTT. (Pushups have been dropped, not even gonna pretend.) PiYo has a ton of pushups in it, so I don't feel too bad about that. It's something I want to do, and I'll get there.

I'm reading all the messages, and am here. Work gets nuts so I can't always hit each of you up individually...lol!

Ok, recipes! I tried a new one on Friday. I loved it, Paul approved, lol, he's very picky.

Serves 2

TIP: Dry shrimp so dressing mix adheres to them.

Ingredients:

4 cups broccoli florets
    1 TBS sesame oil
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (omit or measure sparingly)
    1 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed
    12 oz peeled and deveined shrimp
    2 cloves minced garlic
    2 tbs melted butter
    1 tbs soy sauce

Preheat oven to 400. Line a large rimmed baking pan with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, toss together the broccoli, sesame oil, salt, and red pepper flakes. Spread the broccoli and lemon slices on half of the pan. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until the broccoli begins to brown. Stir the broccoli and turn the lemon slices over.

While the broccoli is roasting, toss the shrimp, garlic, butter, and soy sauce in the now-empty broccoli bowl.

After the initial 20-25 minutes, add the shrimp in a single layer to the empty half of the pan. Roast everything for 8 - 12 minutes, until the shrimp are opaque.

The lemon really doesn't add much. If you like lemon, squeeze some over the broccoli and add to the shrimp dressing, roasting it just made things messy...and I love lemon.

I did everything a little bit differently for timing. I did the first half of the roast for the veggies, then pulled the pan out of the oven. I got the shrimp ready, and on the pan, you want to get it on the pan quickly because the butter congeals and it becomes messy. I then let it sit, until about 20 minutes before we were ready to eat. Preheated the oven again, and cooked it. It was fine! I did a full pound of shrimp for 12 minutes, it could have gone 10.

Enjoy!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Happy Monday everyone! My weekend went better for the most part, I planned meals and exercised, wasn't until I went to the O.C. swap meet with a friend and had a run in with some kettle korn that I tripped up a bit. It wasn't the worst thing I could have done and I'm not beating myself up over it. I do see how planning on weekends makes things easier, now I just want to get better at logging on the weekend.
  • DawnCumm
    Glad to see all are doing fairly well. I too did ok this weekend with food and exercise, have the grand-kids for two weeks for Easter break so that is keeping me busy. Really trying to do well this week because we are headed to the ocean for a few days after Easter, so I know I may make some choices that were not well thought out. That being said, already planning some healthy meals and picnics. I have to admit, looking forward to going into May with a better outlook....
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Had a really horrible day yesterday
    Medical stuff with my boy that's left things uncertain
    I bought hot cross buns........ Then decided not to eat them (kids will have them, they are skinny)
    Scales rewarded me with another 1lb down overnight
  • SimplementeSM
    SimplementeSM Posts: 41 Member
    Checking in!! I came down with the flu last week so everything went to pot 😂 the silver lining is that I lost, like, 5 pounds because I just wasn't hungry.. Totally broke a stall I was in. I'm almost 100% so I'm going to take it easy at the gym today and see how that goes!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Well thank you for the two woo's
    Not sure how having a bad day warrants that but hey
  • HelloBodyJoy
    You had a really horrible day and, despite the turmoil, you succeeded in deciding to not eat those buns. That’s really admirable!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Checking in!! I came down with the flu last week so everything went to pot 😂 the silver lining is that I lost, like, 5 pounds because I just wasn't hungry.. Totally broke a stall I was in. I'm almost 100% so I'm going to take it easy at the gym today and see how that goes!

This reminds me of the line from The Devil Wears Prada - "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight" lol
  • MaggyMaizy
    MaggyMaizy Posts: 7 Member
    I have had three straight lower-carb days. Stayed away from slider foods. Didn’t stress-eat when life was getting to me. I really do feel so much better when I’m not chowing down on junk food. One day at a time - we’ll get there! ❤️
  • fit_chickx
    Day 17.
    I have gained and I’m owning it. Not giving up.
  • NicoleL874
    Well thank you for the two woo's
    Not sure how having a bad day warrants that but hey

It was absolutely the fact that you did not eat one! We all struggle, and we all buy crap. We don't all pass it up!

fit_chickx wrote: »
    Day 17.
    I have gained and I’m owning it. Not giving up.

That's all we can do. Keep moving, keep being honest, don't beat ourselves up...try again! Plus, depending on the gain, our hormones fluctuate like mad as women, that gain may not be as bad as you think.