Poll: how many carbs per day....

Options
WholeFoods4Lyfe
WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
How many carbs per day do you personally consume while maintaining Ketosis? Please say whether you track Net or Total Carbs.

Ps Let’s please keep this post debate free, I’m honestly curious about works best for others.

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    My goal is 25g Total carbs per day, but I can do 50+g (I’m not sure what the actual “+” equals) and can still maintain Ketosis.

I also can get back rather quickly if I accidentally kick myself out.

My H however needs to stay under 20g Net to maintain and has a really hard time getting in Ketosis if he gets knocked out.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    When I was keto I was tracking total carbs and generally stayed around 30-40g which also included sweeteners.

I’m carnivore now and I don’t track anymore and obviously don’t have any trouble maintinaing Ketosis on the measly 3g or so I get from eggs or cheese so you probably don’t care about that info :lol:
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Under 20 net carbs. I usually hit it.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I aim for 30g or lower of Net carbs/day, but most days i'm in the low 20s.
  • tmpecus78
    Options
    My goal is 25g Total carbs per day, but I can do 50+g (I’m not sure what the actual “+” equals) and can still maintain Ketosis.

My H however needs to stay under 20g Net to maintain and has a really hard time getting in Ketosis if he gets knocked out.

wow that is strange. How long has he following keto?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    tmpecus78 wrote: »

wow that is strange. How long has he following keto?

He's done it twice in the past but is not currently. Both times it took him a week to start producing Ketones and he suffered horribly with Keto Flu even though I was practically spoon feeding him electrolytes. He already has a terrible metabolism so Keto was really hard for him. BUT when he's in it, he drops weight like crazy. He lost like 43lbs in 3mths.
  • tmpecus78
    Options
    He's done it twice in the past but is not currently. Both times it took him a week to start producing Ketones and he suffered horribly with Keto Flu even though I was practically spoon feeding him electrolytes. He already has a terrible metabolism so Keto was really hard for him. BUT when he's in it, he drops weight like crazy. He lost like 43lbs in 3mths.

Oh ok, I was just curious. Most of the time people can get back in the zone in a day or two, so I wasn't aware that it can be difficult to some people.
  • tmpecus78
    Options
    craigmandu wrote: »
    I haven't paid much attention to "net" carbs honestly, I have been limiting myself to be under 41g total carbs daily...I hit that amount on most days, and sometimes go over...but I'm not super "strict" on myself.

I've lost 30 lbs since Jan 1 this way... Have yet to start measuring ketones, a lot of people are very adamant that you need to...but so far I don't feel like I do..I may be in it, I may not be, but the weight keeps coming off so.....

Testing is not the end all be all. I like to test my blood after eating different foods to see how my body reacts to them. The deeper and deeper I get into adaption the more I like to play around with more carbs and/or protein ranges. This is when testing is key. But in all honestly, I only strongly recommend daily testing for people battling metabolic disease (ex: cancer, diabetes, epilepsy etc.) where blood number are extremely important.
  • Nokt2018
    Nokt2018 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I keep mine 25g Net or under.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I stay between 20-30g net. For me the appetite suppression is amazing and I really need that.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I stay under 20 net. Most days it is under 10 net. I have been doing this since 2016, but I have never checked ketones, so on a technicality, I don't *know* that I am in ketosis.
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I stay between 20-30g net. For me the appetite suppression is amazing and I really need that.
    Agree!! Exactly my reason and experience.
  • Slja2013
    Slja2013 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How many carbs per day do you personally consume while maintaining Ketosis? Please say whether you track Net or Total Carbs.

Ps Let’s please keep this post debate free, I’m honestly curious about works best for others.

I personally aim for 25 grams of carbs per day and usually end up less than 30 per day. I just count carbs (not net) to keep it honest with myself.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I do between 30 and 50 net carbs a day but that is because I am still breastfeeding my youngest. When I am not pregnant or breastfeeding, I keep the carbs under 25 net a day. I do net because I often eat things that are high total carbs but also high in fiber. Some days that is a difference of 30+ carbs and if my body cant use them as carbs, and my blood sugars dont recognize them as sugar, I am not going to base my eating on them. A difference of 30+ carbs is quite a few calories for me.
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    @tcunbeliever My husband has TERRIBLE migraines- was diagnosed with chronic migraine. We just started keto Monday- do you recall about how long it took for your migraines to improve?
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I didn't respond to the OP: I do 20 total carbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For my first year or two I stayed under 20g total.

Then I thought I'd try increasing carbs to up to 40g total a day, but too often it crept up and my calories and weight crept up too.

I've been mostly carnivore for a year now, so my carbs are usually under 5g total a day.