OOOH SHINY! - How to distract from eating?

Options

Replies

• keri2007
    keri2007 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get myself out of the kitchen and take a shower, chew gum, drink herbal tea or if I'm desperate I drink a Bubly. I try to stay away from carbonated drinks, but every now and then I'll drink one and it'll fill me up!
  • clynds
    clynds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do bodyweight exercises like push-ups, squats, etc.... It's a good distraction, and if I do end up snacking, I've burned off a few calories. lol
  • elviebird516
    elviebird516 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is my problem too. The best thing is to not have any food around me, but my husband constantly buys snack food. I drink a ton of tea (I like Celestial Seasons herbal blends) or broth if I need something salty. I've learned that I can't just have a "small" snack. Once I start eating I won't stop until I'm full/800 calories later.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I drink decaf coffee at night, tell myself to not eat so I wont feel guilty and disappointed in the morning when I weigh.
  • kmreid1990
    kmreid1990 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been making hot tea, or just preparing for the fact that I prefer to have my calories at night. So I track everything and leave a deficit for an ideal midnight snack.
  • itsdd2
    itsdd2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    clynds wrote: »
    I do bodyweight exercises like push-ups, squats, etc.... It's a good distraction, and if I do end up snacking, I've burned off a few calories. lol

Definitely. I started doing FITT classes recently, by the time they are over, I have no interest in whatever temptation that might be lurking in my kitchen. So far 4 lbs gone in four weeks plus an inch off my waistline. I consider that a good start :)

• krea4
    krea4 Posts: 1,813 Member
    Options
    I crave sweet things so I will have a low cal (9 calories) hard boiled sweet (not sure what you'd call them in the US). My favourite are sugar free Werther's originals.

In the evening I will go and brush my teeth!
  • svlofthouse
    svlofthouse Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I usually find that I crave things when I’m bored or procrastinating. Exercise kills the bordom cravings and actually cracking down to a task (even if it’s not the one I’m putting off) helps to take my mind off procrastination cravings.
  • lagoscarrie
    lagoscarrie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble tonight. I am absolutely not hungry -- and that is when I am the most tempted. Why is that? I just had a part of an apple and another cup of tea. Let's see how good I am at distracting myself...
  • lagoscarrie
    Options
    Update: shopping on my favorite online consignment site was a great distraction! I have purchased nothing, just added to my favorites, and imagined how much nicer the clothes would look after a few more pounds lost.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    journaling has helped me a lot for some reason. Writing down my feelings rather than eat them.
  • DeshotelK
    DeshotelK Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love this! I've been struggling lately with eating out of procrastination for doing things I find unappealing. I'm going to try a few of these tips. Thanks ladies!
  • jmjsf
    jmjsf Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I've found this thread. It's hard to explain to people who don't suffer from this but I also eat even if I'm not hungry-mornings are easy but afternoons until dinner are awful. I've tried setting times for snacks, two between lunch and dinner and forbid myself anything in between -otherwise I would be snacking fruits endlessly all the afternoon. I feel less guilty as it's fruit or skimmed yoghurt but it's the same attitude as if I were eating bread and chocolate, just that I gain less weight.
    I work at home most of the times which makes it worse and I can't just stand up and go for a walk. Of course if I decide to watch a 2 hour film that makes it easier for those 2 hours but I'd like not to have to organize my life around this.
  • lagoscarrie
    Options
    @jmjsf
    I also eat even if I'm not hungry-mornings are easy but afternoons until dinner are awful.
    Have you tried simply limiting the hours in which you eat? I guess this is technically "intermittent fasting," but I just call it eating later in the day. If I start out with breakfast, I feel snacky all day. So I stick to coffee with skim milk until later in the day and then allow myself to eat all the vegetables I want! (And that's a lot.) I do still deal with the after-dinner-I-still-want to-snack feelings, but they are only for a little while after dinner and usually subside because I've had SO many vegetables! LOL Just a thought.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Now to put in practice :)
  • oatzilla
    oatzilla Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've noticed I get hungry/moody when I stay up late, so I try to recognize it and go to sleep. *Try*
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I get hungry in the afternoons. Lately I've been eating the previous night's leftovers as an early dinner around 4 or 5, then watching my family eat their own dinner at 6 or 7 when I am no longer hungry. Beats rampant afternoon snacking followed by what amounts to a second dinner.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Like some previous posters, I like to take a nice hot bath to distract me. I have a food addiction, so I also remind myself to surrender to my addiction and stick to my very strict plan. I remeind myself that I am a true addict, and that this feeling of wanting to fill myself with food will pass.

Jenn
  • Azathera
    Azathera Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I find that I snack when I’m watching movies. For the entire month of May, I’m not gonna watch anything and just read books instead. I can’t snack while holding a book 😂
  • MeadowRae
    MeadowRae Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    I drink decaf coffee at night, tell myself to not eat so I wont feel guilty and disappointed in the morning when I weigh.

I drink decaf coffee for this reason, also. I also like adding sugar free flavoring to seltzer water. I keep rice cakes, apples, and celery around if I'm craving something crunchy. That way I can indulge a little bit without going overboard.