OOOH SHINY! - How to distract from eating?

Options
13»

Replies

• MeadowRae
    MeadowRae Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Azathera wrote: »
    I find that I snack when I’m watching movies. For the entire month of May, I’m not gonna watch anything and just read books instead. I can’t snack while holding a book 😂

What about air popped popcorn? It's really low in calories.
  • kirstenvalentine
    kirstenvalentine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    • Gardening is the most effective distractor for me. Dirty hands, focusing on something else.
    • Every weekend I get a Costco rotisserie chicken that I use for weekday lunch salads. Then I'll put the carcass and water and veggie scraps in the InstantPot or Crockpot and make broth, and freeze in mason jars. Having a big mug of hot broth (which I control the sodium level of) can be satisfying/comforting/warming.
    • Putting my retainers in my mouth when I'm in the kitchen is a very effective snack-deflector, but I hate doing it (because its so effective).
    • Drinking a bunch of water (sometimes fancified with bubbles, lemon, or infused with herbs/fruit trimmings).
    • Making tea. Sometimes I forget to drink it once it's made, but the process of making tea is somehow therapeutic in itself.
    • Brushing my teeth is an amazing re-set.
    • Deciding, "OK, I'm going to eat a snack, but I have to put it in MFP first and put it on a plate." Then I'm more likely to choose something smart like 10 almonds + 1 cup of cherry tomatoes than my usual 6 tablespoons of almond butter eaten straight out of the jar...
    • Prepping raw meat kind of disgusts me and kills my appetite. I still eat meat because I have food intolerances with eggs, dairy, and legumes, but if I didn't, I could see myself following a mostly-vegan diet.
    • Grabbing a handful of dog treats and doing 5 minutes of obedience training then playing with my pup.
    • Switching to a task I hate is really ineffective, because then it doubles my desire to eat a snack as distraction from the hated task.
    • Chopping lots of VEGGIES is therapeutic. I do eat some pieces, but they're low-calorie, and come in slow enough that I reach satiety as I go. Any other type of food prep that involves handling higher-calorie ingredients like nuts, fruit, or cooked meat is a disaster.
  • nuzziek
    nuzziek Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Following :) Thanks for all the great tips, ladies!