WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - May 2019

Options

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,402 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    I am BMcC9, your other co-cap. ....

.... This is YOUR space, so post links, motivational posters or sayings, progress pics( if you are less shy than I am ... you'll notice that I don't post my own face, but that's just me) ...

I am debating changing my Profile Pic again .... inside the spoiler you will see my previous "on the way to maintenance" picture .... you know my current "slim and sassy" (kitty-cat) picture .... and what I may swap to as my "now settling into maintenance" picture ... which is actually the "real me" taken just this afternoon ... not bad for an almost 61 yr old ....
    8jhh0w2bk9ck.jpg

032zb5xja1tk.jpg

and the just-bought-yesterday tee-shirt is a YOUTH XL!! It didn't come in "grownup size"
  • bfitb440n2022
    bfitb440n2022 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi! Newbie here. With all these challenges that have been posted what do we do with them? Do we go to the spread sheet ourselves or post here? With the water challenge, do we just tell you every day how much we drank at the end of the day? And then the steps, weight, and water challenge again.... How do we tell you what we did? Do the weeks go Sunday to Sunday or our weigh in day to weigh in day? Sorry! And thanks! 😁
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Hi, @bfitb440n2022

No such thing as a "bad question" .... the only REQUIRED "challenge reporting" is your weekly weigh-in.

Your weekly weigh-in report goes here. Captains are responsible for filling in the spreadsheet.

You just pick the best-day-of-the-week Reporting Day for you .... and let us know your weight on that day. You only report once a week. (number of times per week you weigh yourself is between you and your scale)

The Fat2Fit "week" runs Sunday to Saturday ... so the calendar days of May 1, 2, 3, and 4 were technically "the end of F2F April's Week 5" so far as reporting / determining Team Standings were concerned. You weren't with us yet, so moot point for you.

There will be 4 Weekly Check-ins for May, with F2F June Week 1 starting on Sunday June 2nd.

Any other short-term team-vs-team weekly challenges (or internal our-team-only extra reporting) is entirely OPTIONAL, depending on personal interest and ability to do or track "whatever it is".

These are put up by a different team each week (this week it's "Drink Water" from "Team Workout Warriors"), along with a Moderators' Challenge (the "three-in-one" thing this week) as a way to encourage awareness and sharing between all 6 teams, and to keep things fresh. Sometimes it might be "Share a recipe" or "Post a motivational meme" or "Try a new activity". Each time, it will be introduced here, with a link to its separate sub-thread. If the weekly challenge appeals to you, join in. If not, stick with the basics here, and just join in the internal conversation.

IF you wish (and have a way to track, like a fitbit or variant doodad - mileage or strides info on your cardio equipment of choice etc) you can post your daily steps here. Our team has been continuing an in-house list of "how far we went this week" but, again, participation is optional. For example, up until mid-last month, I had no way to track my daily steps outside the context of my exergame.

This week's Water-drinking challenge has its own sub-thread. If you decide to try that as a way to get into the hydration habit, click on and bookmark the link in the announcement (do you know how to bookmark a thread so that it shows up in your Favourites list and you can get back to it easily?) and follow the instructions.

We captains will be taking a closer look at the Three-In-One reporting instructions and figuring out the best way to track progress of those who wish to participate.

Ask any other questions any time!
  • BMcC9
    edited May 2019
    Options
    WEEK 1 MOD CHALLENGE ....DRINK IT UP
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10742403/week-1-mod-challenge-drink-it-up#latest
    LET'S DRINK TILL WE SHRINK
    WEEK ONE GROUP CHALLENGE PROVIDED BY THE WORKOUT WARRIORS
    BEST GROUP CHALLENGE EVER'......
    THIS WEEKS GROUP CHALLENGE IS SPONSORED IN PART BY THE WORKOUT WARRIORS TEAM
    HERE IS HOW IT'S GOING TO WORK
    THIS A TEAM CHALLENGE MEANING YOU COMPETE WITHIN YOUR OWN TEAM....
    THE CHALLENGE IS ..
    THE MOST STEPS IN THE WEEK
    THE MOST WEIGHT LOST IN A WEEK
    THE MOST WATER DRANK IN THE WEEK

THE ONLY RULE IS THAT YOU HAVE TO BE THE WINNER IN ALL THREE CATEGORIES...TEAM CAPTAINS WILL HAVE THE FINAL SAY ON YOUR TEAM IF THERE IS A TIE. THE MODS WILL MAKE THE FINAL CALL WITH THE ADVICE OF THE TEAM CAPTAINS

NOW LETS HAVE SERIOUS TRASH TALKING AND SOME SERIOUS FUN.

My mistake .... the Drink Till We Shrink thing is the MODERATORS challenge. Click on the link, and join in if you wish. It just so happens that @Navydaddjtc is both a Moderator and one of the TWW co-caps.

For those of you who are new, and haven't already noticed .... Team Workout Warriors tend to be more .... uummmm .... encourage-by-ragging / drill-sergeant oriented than some of the other teams.

"Eat my dust!" ... "oh, yeah? just watch MY numbers!" (that's the kind of thing the "trash talking" reference means)

Nothing wrong with that, if that kind of push-pull competitive-edged approach is the style of encouragement you respond to.

More important (to my way of thinking) is the "HAVE .... SOME SERIOUS FUN" reference. Let the games begin!

I am going to be posting a link to a Ted Talk on Youtube called "Inside the Mind of a Master Procrastinator" (inside a "spoiler" as some of you are already familiar with it from past months)

The presenter talks about two main drivers in EVERYONE's personality ... the Rational Decision-Maker Dude or RD-MD (the name says it all, the part of each of us that already knows what we SHOULD be doing) .... and the Instant Gratification Monkey or IGM (that part of each of us that only wants to do what is easy and/or FUN ... however you define "fun" .... and you discover has taken to steering your choices whenever you suddenly wake up to the fact that you AREN'T doing what you already know you SHOULD be doing.)

For me, personally, finding a way to re-frame what I SHOULD be doing anyway into a kind of game helps transform my own IGM into "a power for good" instead of "a power for distraction"

So every day, we play "Go For The Green", which is FUN .... and a way to SCORE extra treats at the end of the day (aka pre-log my food for the day; make any adjustments as needed before supper and again post-exercise to see what will still be available for Evening Snack; and aim to keep my Net Calorie intake / macro numbers green, not red ... which is something I know I SHOULD be doing ... but by calling it a game and including a desirable bonus payoff, it is no longer perceived by IGM as "a chore" to be avoided at all costs)

What does YOUR IGM tend to try and avoid at all costs? Maybe someone else has already found a possible work-around for themselves for a similar situation .... which might spark an idea for a variation that would suit you ....
  • BMcC9
    Options
    kx7003 wrote: »
    Hi everyone👋🏽, I’m glad to join the team. For me the calorie deficit golden rule works BUT only during the week when I’m at work. I fail most weekends and binge eat and put all the pounds back on. I just can’t stop eating when I’m not at work!!!! Appreciate all tips to combat this issue. 🤔

Here's an example of IGM as "a power for distraction" .... and providing tips to each other is what this space is for!

I'm gonna throw a request for details back at you, @kx7003 so that any tips will be more targeted to your specifics.

Do you find you crave a certain category of food (sweet, salty, smooth, crunchy?) Is it "because you feel hungry" (how hard do you exercise / how much of your exercise calories do you usually eat back?) Is it "because it's there in the cupboard" (and needs to be because of other household residents?) Is it situational? (weekends are when you "graze while socializing"? )

What's the difference, for you / to you, between a work-day evening, and a weekend? Your question implies keeping yourself on track 5 days a week, but evenings are "not at work" too ....
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,133 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi gang!

it looks like we are off to a good start!

I'd just like to remind anyone who was in April's baseball challenge to get in their last stats so that it can all be tallied. Thanks! you can check the tally at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1brwcKsCNHTXQVlsvChTZVndGRU1zLPbAL_Fr7mfpYVI/edit?ts=5cadd4ac#gid=1230110671 to be sure all your numbers are in. I may have missed something in the change of month!

I'll catch up later with the new stuff - there are a lot of questions in the air, and we'll make sure that things are clear. If you don't get an answer, ask again!
  • kx7003
    kx7003 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 I don’t usually binge during weekdays as my working day is 6am - 7/8pm so I have little time to binge when I get home and I don’t usually feel like binging. Additionally, I rarely feel as hungry at work than what I do at home (?). I have never craved junk food at work as far as I can recall. At the weekends or public holidays or annual leave days, i.e any day that I haven’t been to work, I am most likely to eat a ton of junk food. Not because I’m hungry or there are no healthy options usually just because I can and I have seen some item of junk food that I like the look of and I want to taste it. It is clear I don’t have efficient will power. My usual methods to stop binge eating are to eat a lower calorie snack like a black tea with some brown sugar to curb the junk food craving. I try to keep within my calorie deficit by exercising even if I eat junk food because for as long as I can remember I have been stuck in a cycle of giving up on my diet at the point where I have consumed junk food. For example I used to go on a binge after eating just one item of junk food but now I try to stop after one or two high calorie treats and get myself back on track by exercising later on or having a smaller dinner to counteract the excessive junk calories. Junk food wise I don’t have a specific thing I except maybe salt and vinegar crisps - they usually start my binge as I can’t stop after just one packet and as I said I’m in a habit of throwing the towel in after one packet and then just eating everything I can see and want. Exercise wise I do jump rope as it burns lots of calories pretty quickly and because I’ve gotten sick and tired of HIIT workouts. I enjoy skipping as it’s challenging but I can always feel the burn and I know it’s given me 100-250 more calories to consume (depending on length of workout). I eat the calories back at the weekend as I’m already over my target calorie consumption but if I skip during the weekdays I probably don’t eat it back as I seem to never go over my target calorie consumption during the week so any calories burned by exercise just increase my deficit. Appreciate all tips - I really don’t want to binge eat over the next few days and put the few pounds I lost back on 🥺
  • sue_01
    sue_01 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    baseball - Saturday 65mins, 14,009=
  • BMcC9
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @kx7003 is there any REAL reason why the crisps can't just plain never make it out of the store and into your pantry? (like "because hubby / child / roommate loves and eats them too")

Working around other peoples' needs / expectations vs only needing to consider yourself when shopping can make a difference in ultimate strategizing.

And I can only say ...... WOW! concerning your work hours! What do you do?
  • jugar
    Options
    THE TRIPLE CHALLENGE - WILL YOU BE THE TOP IN ALL 3 THIS WEEK???

Anyone who would like to work towards the triple challenge (weight loss - steps - water) should simply report their steps and how much water they drink here on the the thread any time - it does not have to be every day. Just make sure to post them, and I'll keep track! Your weigh-in is on your usual day, just posted here as well. Get the steps and water amounts reported by the end of Saturday at the latest. The challenge runs Sunday - Saturday, so hopefully you have been tracking steps and water today.

Anyone can compete- you do not officially have to sign up for it. Just report your steps and water and see if you can be the one on our team who wins the triple crown!

Our steppers in April were amazing - I'll be posting the final results tomorrow. There is some serious inspiration there.
  • Kittu125
    Kittu125 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Hi gang!

it looks like we are off to a good start!

I'd just like to remind anyone who was in April's baseball challenge to get in their last stats so that it can all be tallied. Thanks! you can check the tally at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1brwcKsCNHTXQVlsvChTZVndGRU1zLPbAL_Fr7mfpYVI/edit?ts=5cadd4ac#gid=1230110671 to be sure all your numbers are in. I may have missed something in the change of month!

I'll catch up later with the new stuff - there are a lot of questions in the air, and we'll make sure that things are clear. If you don't get an answer, ask again!
    Hi @jugar

I apologize for not entering my stats and weigh in for last two days. Didn’t realize baseball was coming to and end.
    If possible please enter my stats

Friday - 15325 steps plus 1 hr Zumba and 1 hr walking
    Saturday- 9127 steps and 1 hour Zumba and 1 hr walking

• Kittu125
    Kittu125 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    @jugar my last Friday weigh in - 182 lbs
  • Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    So sorry I missed my weigh in on Friday! We did a flea market from Wednesday-Sunday (today). So if it’s not too late....
    Connie7355
    Weigh in day: Friday
    PW: 193.4
    CW: 193.3
  • jlbtnc
    jlbtnc Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Sunday 5/5:
    Steps: 7974
    Water: 118.3oz
  • sue_01
    sue_01 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Baseball
    Friday-65 mins.14,009 steps =
    -Saturday 45mins 12,261=
    My days were not posted.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Only Two Weigh-In Reports Today (Monday):

@reflectionofme
    @tdrjustus3 (if a different day of the week for your weigh-in report will be easier for you report on time - we can change it - great to see your re-commitment statement, and let us know how best to encourage you!)

No-one due tomorrow (Tuesday)
  • bfitb440n2022
    bfitb440n2022 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you for answering all my questions!

Yesterday my steps were 9763
    Water was 80oz

I'm excited that i made it through my first weekend as a mfper! I ate a lot of treats probably not as many as usual... But I logged and I made sure I was active both days!!
  • jugar
    Options
    Thanks for the check-in and information, @Kittu125 and @Connie7355 ! I updated the beginning of May weight, but your next weigh-in day is still Friday. Glad you're still here.

Keep counting those steps, and now amount of water you have as well, if you're into the friendly competition! I always laugh that trying to drink 64 ounces of water a day is a TALL order for someone only 5 feet tall. I call it "just under 2 litres" and somehow that sounds less intimidating!
  • Navydaddjtc
    Navydaddjtc Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    TEAM WAISTAWAYS
    DRILL SARGENT HUM MM .... NOT GOOD FOR A RETIRED NAVY CHIEF WAR DOG HANDLER.... NEVER DID CARE MUCH FOR THOSE GROUND POUNDERS IF YOU GET MY DRIFT, HOW EVER THEY WERE "BROTHERS IN ARMS" AND I DO RESPECT THEM ..... YOU COULD SAY THAT I JUST GENTLY PUSH MY TEAM WITH A VERY ASSERTIVE ATTITUDE TO BE THE BEST THAT THEY CAN BE.... MAYBE SOUNDS LIKE A D/S BUT IT COMES FROM THE HEART OF A WARRIOR ...... THE END RESULT BEING THAT MY TEAM MATES LIVE A HAPPY AND HEALTHY LIFE STYLE.. IF WE LOOSE A FEW POUNDS IN THE PROCESS MORE POWER TO US.
    GO NAVY BEAT ARMY
    GREG
  • jugar
    Options
    Reflection for Monday - Monday musings

I still find it weird (and irritating) that I feel flabby sometimes for no reason at all. I weigh the same, am in reasonably good shape, but if my muscles aren't challenged and/or I am full from eating a meal, I can feel out of shape almost instantly. If I skip a day or two of exercise more intense than a good walk, or if I eat a good meal (healthy or not!) and feel full, something in my mind makes me feel as if I have gone back to 35 pounds heavier and with achy joints. Does that happen to you? This feeling makes it hard to get up and do things sometimes. Of course, getting up and doing things, especially a good workout, is the best way to get rid of the feeling, but this kind of instant relapse sometimes discourages me into doing nothing.

So - antidote. I'm actually going to drink all that water and get the muscles going. Tally ho!
This discussion has been closed.