Hormone Replacement Therapy

927caryo
927caryo Posts: 121 Member
I forgot I was a member of this group! I started HRT at about age 53 and honestly had plenty of problems. I switched to the combipatch and started non stop bleeding and heart flutters. I ripped that thing off last week and so far so good. I was expecting vicious headaches and hot flashes and so far none of that has happened. I'm 55 now. Have you taken HRT? I"m really interested to hear from women who didn't take any HRT - and got through just fine. My dr kept saying I was basically going to dry up and shrivel up. I started using my elliptical on a regular basis and got on track with losing some weight. I hope all is well in your world. Susan

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2018
    Hope you transition off well.

I decided to take a break, and tapered off, a tad quickly, but with no harm.

I've now added back in a little OTC vaginal estriol (for, ahem, dryness) and a bit of OTC progesterone to balance it.

ETA: my breasts are tender as hell. That's the only real thing I've noticed.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,271 Member
    I have so far decided to not use HRT. I'm really on the fence. My hot flashes and mood swings are not that bad, and exercise and eating right are key. However my hair is getting thinner and that has always been one of my best features so I am thinking about it now.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    I have so far decided to not use HRT. I'm really on the fence. My hot flashes and mood swings are not that bad, and exercise and eating right are key. However my hair is getting thinner and that has always been one of my best features so I am thinking about it now.

Maybe start OTC and see if that's enough? Start with progesterone, and see if that helps. Progesterone deficiency is usually the reason, if memory serves. If that doesn't help, try adding estrogen. If you get BiEST it's about 1/2 the lowest prescription strength of estradiol. Or try just estriol and see. If you do, don't forget the progesterone (assuming you have a uterus).
  • 927caryo
    Thanks for the feedback. I am now at day 10 off the patch and I haven't really noticed anything yet. I was expecting huge headaches as that happened to me once when I went off the oral HRT. I did make the decision to start exercising every day and I think that is helping. (30 minutes on the elliptical every morning).
  • 927caryo
    As if on cue - headache. Darn it. Ouch.
  • 927caryo
    Headache gone. Minor hot flashes but no more bleeding - energy level about the same not great but not terrible. I have been using elliptical every day for 30 and doing a plant focused but not entirely veg diet. Skin looks ok,
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Started HRT about 3 weeks ago and so far I'm thrilled. I feel like my old self again. No wild mood swings, no bloating/cramps with my period. Cravings gone and appetite suppressed...energy up. I'm sleeping better.

I am switching from the patch to a topical estrogen and oral progesterone however because I was having trouble keeping it on and I like to sauna. My Dr. warned me I might lose my period on this combination. Oh, too bad. :D:p
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Started HRT about 3 weeks ago and so far I'm thrilled. I feel like my old self again. No wild mood swings, no bloating/cramps with my period. Cravings gone and appetite suppressed...energy up. I'm sleeping better.

I am switching from the patch to a topical estrogen and oral progesterone however because I was having trouble keeping it on and I like to sauna. My Dr. warned me I might lose my period on this combination. Oh, too bad. :D:p

Topical estrogen and oral progesterone was what I used. Now I'm using topical progesterone and topical estriol. And so far (two months in) the symptoms haven't come back.... hope that means I'm past the worst of it.

Glad it's working for you.
  • JaneQP
    JaneQP Posts: 9 Member
    I went on HRT for the heart and bone density protection but quit after two weeks because PMS-like mood swings started up again! Without estrogen I seem to be on a much more even keel emotionally.
  • megs4875
    megs4875 Posts: 3 Member
    I too have done the pellets, it has definitely helped me with energy and maybe some irritability issues- lol. Last fall, I was just sleeping through the weekends, seriously... I would get up shower, and go back to bed. Zero energy and absolutely no desire to do anything...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    megs4875 wrote: »
    I too have done the pellets, it has definitely helped me with energy and maybe some irritability issues- lol. Last fall, I was just sleeping through the weekends, seriously... I would get up shower, and go back to bed. Zero energy and absolutely no desire to do anything...

Crushing fatigue. Yup. I do a day in bed about once a month still.
  • KyKyPS
    KyKyPS Posts: 7 Member
    I haven't been able to use HRT due to family history of breast cancer. But, lordy do I want to! Hot flashes, headaches, insomnia, exhaustion, grumpy, horrible skin and a ton of weight gained. I've been putting up with this rubbish for years! I'm hoping that when my period finally stops I can take something. 10 months so far...
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Chillipea wrote: »
    I haven't been able to use HRT due to family history of breast cancer. But, lordy do I want to! Hot flashes, headaches, insomnia, exhaustion, grumpy, horrible skin and a ton of weight gained. I've been putting up with this rubbish for years! I'm hoping that when my period finally stops I can take something. 10 months so far...

Talk to your Dr. about dong genetic testing. My mother had estrogen receptive breast cancer. But taking all other risk factors in mind along with genetic test results, my OB had no problem with me starting HRT.
  • linda513
    linda513 Posts: 8 Member
    I'm on oral HRT and it's a lifesaver for me. I'm almost 59 and I started about 6 years ago. I guess I'll have to go off of it sometime, but hopefully not anytime soon.
  • dragonsplace
    dragonsplace Posts: 5 Member
    Hi. I'm nearly 65. Had Femeston HRT and can recommend it. When I had to come off HRT 4 years ago, Dr put me on a low dose of Citalopram. It's used in the UK in place of HRT. Stops all menopausal symptoms.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I am not going the HRT route because there is no real conclusive testing as to whether it will trigger my ulcerative colitis. I have only heard anecdotal evidence of HRT triggering UC flares. Been there, done that and never want to revisit that hell ... I rather put up with hot flashes and night sweats.

I am taking a supplement ironically called Hot Flash as well as taking Maca Root. Within 3 days, I was able to sleep through the night without soaking my bedsheets with sweat AND have been able to sleep with my "huggie" pillow again without overheating. Plus, I am able to enjoy a hot bath again without dying from perceived heat stroke! Only a mild hot flash or two since starting the supplements a month ago. Of course, within 2 weeks of starting it, I got my period after a quiet 4 month hiatus ... take the good with the bad!
  • Rinchen108
    Rinchen108 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi. I’m new here. I’m 51 and started getting pellets about 6 months ago. I really do feel so much better. I had NO detectable estrogen in my system. No wonder I was such a wreck. Still, I haven’t had alcohol, sugar, dairy, or wheat for over a decade, and I’ve been an exerciser forever, but here I am, 10-15 pounds heavier than I like to be.
    I’ve started logging food again and increased the frequency and intensity of my workouts. I’m the strongest I’ve ever been but my weight....ugh!!!!
    It’s hard for me to stay focused on the NSVs and the like when that number is so dang high!!!
    Thanks!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Rinchen108 wrote: »
    Hi. I’m new here. I’m 51 and started getting pellets about 6 months ago. I really do feel so much better. I had NO detectable estrogen in my system. No wonder I was such a wreck. Still, I haven’t had alcohol, sugar, dairy, or wheat for over a decade, and I’ve been an exerciser forever, but here I am, 10-15 pounds heavier than I like to be.
    I’ve started logging food again and increased the frequency and intensity of my workouts. I’m the strongest I’ve ever been but my weight....ugh!!!!
    It’s hard for me to stay focused on the NSVs and the like when that number is so dang high!!!
    Thanks!
    I'm quite different. My estrogen levels were still somewhat reasonable after menopause. My progesterone levels were undetectable.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Due to shortage on the market I had to switch from one pil to a generic one. I was not responding well to it. Read: I was angry and miserable.
    So despite my earlier statement I did stop as I really felt I was not myself. Given that I had seen the same thing when I was a teenager I knew there were two options: stop or go back to my standard pill. The latter option was not available so I stopped taking it a week ago. I have been through two hellish days as I felt my cycle kick in. But the pain is preferable over the mental issues for now.

Went to see my GP today. We agreed on some bloodwork and to monitor for 3 months and track what happens. One thing is clear though I am still very much in the peri phases.