TEAM: The Big Butt Theory (May)

Options

Replies

• eatingfoodles
    eatingfoodles Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    So I definitely forgot that today was Tuesday and didn't weigh myself. I'll be back tomorrow for another late weigh in!
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    Options
    As I have looked back at the last 6 months I have been feeling very disappointed in myself. I am no where near the weight I wanted to be by now. In January I was at my heaviest at 188 and seem to be holding steady at 182. I have to remind myself however, that even though the scale isn't moving much I have had to buy new clothes a size down already, so some progress has been made.
    I started out dieting really well In the beginning but it is so easy to get off track when days/life gets hard. I looked at trying something like nutrisystem so I would just already know what I could eat and wouldn't have to stress so much about it. As I researched and decided it was too expensive since I have other people to feed, I realized that the foods they have to offer are foods that I can easily cook myself. I also discovered that fresh veggies and fruits have to be added to the meal plans. I think That is where I keep going wrong. I'm eating main dishes (meats and carbs) and not adding the volume of veggies that are such low calorie foods. I end up feeling unsatisfied and mindlessly eat snacks later.
    So I looked through the meals and checked the calories on the Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, and Lean Cuisine websites. I found recipes for similar meals with close to the same calories. I made a meal plan, bought the groceries and made sure to include lots of veggies - fresh and frozen. I am going to try this "DIY Nutrisystem" plan. Hopefully, I'll start losing some weight for real.
    I would love to hear anyone's advice for successful dieting that I could add to this.
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    brandi_84 wrote: »
    As I have looked back at the last 6 months I have been feeling very disappointed in myself. I am no where near the weight I wanted to be by now. In January I was at my heaviest at 188 and seem to be holding steady at 182. I have to remind myself however, that even though the scale isn't moving much I have had to buy new clothes a size down already, so some progress has been made.
    I started out dieting really well In the beginning but it is so easy to get off track when days/life gets hard. I looked at trying something like nutrisystem so I would just already know what I could eat and wouldn't have to stress so much about it. As I researched and decided it was too expensive since I have other people to feed, I realized that the foods they have to offer are foods that I can easily cook myself. I also discovered that fresh veggies and fruits have to be added to the meal plans. I think That is where I keep going wrong. I'm eating main dishes (meats and carbs) and not adding the volume of veggies that are such low calorie foods. I end up feeling unsatisfied and mindlessly eat snacks later.
    So I looked through the meals and checked the calories on the Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, and Lean Cuisine websites. I found recipes for similar meals with close to the same calories. I made a meal plan, bought the groceries and made sure to include lots of veggies - fresh and frozen. I am going to try this "DIY Nutrisystem" plan. Hopefully, I'll start losing some weight for real.
    I would love to hear anyone's advice for successful dieting that I could add to this.
    @brandi_84
    I'm in no means an expert in any of this, but here are some things I suggest/do:

1. I brought a food scale, and I weigh everything. It makes it easy to pre-portion bulk bags of snacks(I use almonds, kettle chips, and fruit on a regular basis for snacks) Examples for why:
    a. I use Arnold sandwich thins for my lunches. Their serving size is 1 roll(57g). Some days I will weigh them and they'll be 53g, or 61g, and anywhere in between. Depending on the calorie count, that can be a HUGE difference. (This applies to any slice of bread or prepackaged "single serve" item.
    b. Eggs. Your regular large egg averages 70 calories. I generally eat 3 boiled eggs after my workout. When weighing(and using USDA for search result) my 3 eggs can have not 210 calories(as expected) but between 220-250 calories based on the weight!
    c. Condiments. The only one I dont measure is ketchup, because i use it once in a blue moon, and not enough to throw off my day. But mayonaise(or oil) is a huge culprit for sneaky extra calories. I would go way over a serving if I had the chance!

2. Log everything! Be honest with yourself. Even if you have a bad day and go over calories, chances are you can still remain in a deficit throughout the week! You can lie to yourself if you have a few bad days, but the scale will show you if you've been on the right path. I have some days(rare but it happens) I forget to log(due to travel/life) but I always try to put it in at some point so it is still there.

3. Somewhat underestimate your exercise calories. If you go for a 30 minute walk, and you log it on MFP, chances are it will credit you way more than you earn. I've logged 20 minutes of strength training, and it has given me up to 170 calories(and I don't even burn that many walking for 20 minutes!). For a few weeks, eat back 50% of your exercise calories. If you are losing too quickly, eat 75%. Adjust until you get close to the rate of loss you're aiming for! I use a Fitbit, and it does all the math for me, but I still don't eat all the calories back because I know somewhere I may underestimate in my food, or it may overestimate my activity.

4. If you add in new exercise, it is super possible to retain water for some (possibly long) length of time. Keep your water intake up, to aid in muscle recovery. It will help you I the long run!

5. Remember that weight loss isn't linear. I can be precise in every way that is humanly possible, and not lose. For me, my body has been telling me "we only like to lose fat when it's that time of the month", and I will "woosh" off a few pounds within a few days. I also recommend the Libra app(android) or happy scalr(iPhone) if you weigh daily and would like to see the trends/progress. It won't show much of a reliable trend until you have quite a few weigh ins logged.

6. Make sure that whatever calorie goal you set is right for you. I have realised(and mentioned it a few times here and there) that I need the extra calories, so while I *could* be fine to set myself up for a 2lb/wk loss, it is not in my best interest. I was developing headaches and slight dizziness, and knew I had to increase calories. I have myself now set up for 1lb/wk and can eat close ~1800/day without exercise.

7. Adjust your weight loss goal on MFP as you go. As you lose weight, your calorie needs will lower if you don't increase your activity level. If you hit a stall, it could be because you need to reset your goal.

Hopefully some of these tips help you(or any of my fellow TBBT friends here). I am no expert in this, but these are some things I have learned that help to keep me positive along the way! Hope something I've mentioned will help in some way!
  • ForLangston
    ForLangston Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Tracked, under, and 3660 👟👟
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    Week 5

Tracked yes
    Calories yes
    Exercise yes

Sunday yes
    Monday no
    Tuesday yes
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    drea2011 wrote: »
    5/27,5/28

Exercised: 10,000 step walk with the pups yesterday, P90X3 decelerator today (SO TOUGH)
    Tracked: yes
    Under: yes
    Water: 8 glasses, 13 glasses (my school doesn’t have ac so I was chugging it today)

Last week: 237.6
    Today: 235.6

Woop woop 🙌🏾

@drea2011, well done, Drea!! Two pounds gone, and after a long holiday weekend!! Yeah, I haven't come across many schools in my time that were air conditioned!! Good job on chugging that extra water!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    So I definitely forgot that today was Tuesday and didn't weigh myself. I'll be back tomorrow for another late weigh in!

@eatingfoodles, do not fret!! I gave every American a couple days grace in weighing in because of the Memorial Day holiday. Tomorrow is fine!!
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Weekly Challenge
    Day: Tuesday
    Tracking: Yes
    Calories: yes
    Exercise: yes - 60 min walk :) back at it with a fierceness!
  • HASWLRS
    Options

@brandi_84, I love your new weight loss plan....the DIY Nutrisystem plan by Brandi!! It seems very well thought out. The point you make about adding vegetables to your meals is key, in my opinion. When we start to feel too hungry, too often, is when we throw in the towel and binge. There is a volume eaters thread here on MFP, and they do just that....eat a lot of high volume low calorie foods, like the fruits and vegetables you mention, to feel full, and ultimately succeed!

It is good to reflect every so often and evaluate the progress made to date....an interim report card, if you will. Now that you have, it is time to only look forward and make the changes that you deemed necessary. I know you are disappointed that you are not where you wanted to be, weight-wise, but dwelling on it would be nothing but counter-productive!!

I don't have much success at losing weight at the moment, but my one suggestion would be to find the food that satisfies the sweet craving and the food that satisfies the salty craving that you can eat in moderation. If I need some chocolate after supper, or a palate cleanser, I can feel satisfied with a Greek Chocolate yogurt. If I tried to keep, let's say dark chocolate in the house, I would not be able to just have a square or two after my meal.....the whole bar would be gone!! My salty craving is a rye crisp with peanut butter, and both of my go-to snacks also have protein!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    @brandi_84
    I'm in no means an expert in any of this, but here are some things I suggest/do:

1. I brought a food scale, and I weigh everything. It makes it easy to pre-portion bulk bags of snacks(I use almonds, kettle chips, and fruit on a regular basis for snacks) Examples for why:
    a. I use Arnold sandwich thins for my lunches. Their serving size is 1 roll(57g). Some days I will weigh them and they'll be 53g, or 61g, and anywhere in between. Depending on the calorie count, that can be a HUGE difference. (This applies to any slice of bread or prepackaged "single serve" item.
    b. Eggs. Your regular large egg averages 70 calories. I generally eat 3 boiled eggs after my workout. When weighing(and using USDA for search result) my 3 eggs can have not 210 calories(as expected) but between 220-250 calories based on the weight!
    c. Condiments. The only one I dont measure is ketchup, because i use it once in a blue moon, and not enough to throw off my day. But mayonaise(or oil) is a huge culprit for sneaky extra calories. I would go way over a serving if I had the chance!

2. Log everything! Be honest with yourself. Even if you have a bad day and go over calories, chances are you can still remain in a deficit throughout the week! You can lie to yourself if you have a few bad days, but the scale will show you if you've been on the right path. I have some days(rare but it happens) I forget to log(due to travel/life) but I always try to put it in at some point so it is still there.

3. Somewhat underestimate your exercise calories. If you go for a 30 minute walk, and you log it on MFP, chances are it will credit you way more than you earn. I've logged 20 minutes of strength training, and it has given me up to 170 calories(and I don't even burn that many walking for 20 minutes!). For a few weeks, eat back 50% of your exercise calories. If you are losing too quickly, eat 75%. Adjust until you get close to the rate of loss you're aiming for! I use a Fitbit, and it does all the math for me, but I still don't eat all the calories back because I know somewhere I may underestimate in my food, or it may overestimate my activity.

4. If you add in new exercise, it is super possible to retain water for some (possibly long) length of time. Keep your water intake up, to aid in muscle recovery. It will help you I the long run!

5. Remember that weight loss isn't linear. I can be precise in every way that is humanly possible, and not lose. For me, my body has been telling me "we only like to lose fat when it's that time of the month", and I will "woosh" off a few pounds within a few days. I also recommend the Libra app(android) or happy scalr(iPhone) if you weigh daily and would like to see the trends/progress. It won't show much of a reliable trend until you have quite a few weigh ins logged.

6. Make sure that whatever calorie goal you set is right for you. I have realised(and mentioned it a few times here and there) that I need the extra calories, so while I *could* be fine to set myself up for a 2lb/wk loss, it is not in my best interest. I was developing headaches and slight dizziness, and knew I had to increase calories. I have myself now set up for 1lb/wk and can eat close ~1800/day without exercise.

7. Adjust your weight loss goal on MFP as you go. As you lose weight, your calorie needs will lower if you don't increase your activity level. If you hit a stall, it could be because you need to reset your goal.

Hopefully some of these tips help you(or any of my fellow TBBT friends here). I am no expert in this, but these are some things I have learned that help to keep me positive along the way! Hope something I've mentioned will help in some way!

@cmhubbard92, thank you for sharing all you have learned so far in your six month journey!! I would like to second your practice of weighing things that are prepackaged and supposed to be a certain weight! I weigh my bread and my turkey bacon, but I have never weighed eggs! I have never seen them listed with a weight, only a graded size. I shall have to look into that!!
  • drea2011
    drea2011 Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Hey Brandi!

Ive started this journey a million times so don’t feel bad. The good news is that your are losing inches and you’ve held steady and not gained weight!

What works for me is consistency. I workout and eat right every day. I got rid of cheat days/meals. I meal prep every week. Unless I’m sick or hurt I workout. No excuses.

I read something that says it takes 21 days to create a habit 90 to build a lifestyle change. I’m at 71 and 25.7 lbs down!

• Nicoletime4me
    Nicoletime4me Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    May 27
    Tracking- yes
    Calories- yes
    Exercise- yes ( 35 min brisk walk)

May 28
    Tracking- yes
    Calories- yes
    Exercise- yes ( 20 min brisk walk)
  • murdog3t
    murdog3t Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys been on call all week& weekend it was very busy when I wasn’t working I was sleeping plus back to full duty finally after my assault last July 2018

I’ll start again tomorrow morning
    Hopefully all is well
  • heaz10
    heaz10 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Weigh in:
    PW: 222.1
    CW: 223.3
    Up a little...not surprised. I have had many events and busy nights so eating out and eating on the run. I need to plan my food better. I will be ready for June. Sorry team.
  • swauters
    swauters Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Mini challenge
    May 28
    Tracked-yes
    Under yes
    Exercise yes
    20 mins turbofire. Just about dying at the end but got 20 minutes in, plus 19,230 steps today.
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Message to all Team Members:

@HASWLRS.
    @pkg1998.
    @Jl20alon2564.
    @Krysless2.
    @Missyms740.
    @Susanpiper57.
    @brandi_84.
    @countrycreek.
    @heaz10.
    @Lozenger1984.
    @miakelaa.
    @cmhubbard92.
    @drea2011.
    @eatingfoodles.
    @24blfn.
    @Prehistoricmoongoddess.
    @cossmoss15.
    @EnyaGoBoom.
    @mickey10111.
    @Nicoletime4me.
    @abowersgirl.
    @Bradleys8299.
    @erikNJ.
    @ForLangston.
    @jlbtnc.
    @murdog3t.
    @swauters.
    @thedestar.
    @Tracie_Lord.
    @kc9agz.
    @my3boys424.

This is the last week of the May Challenge. After this week, all members will be rolled over automatically into the June Challenge.

The June challenge thread is:
    TEAM: The Big Butt Theory (June) https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10746093/team-the-big-butt-theory-june#latest
    If you wish NOT to participate next month, please message me or tag me @AB0215 or your team captain.

Please view your team thread and post a brief introduction so others in the team can know who you are.

When viewing the thread, please "bookmark" the thread by pressing the "star" icon (it should turn yellow).
    3cu4npy62hfa.png

This way you can be notified whenever someone posts to the thread (your "bell" icon on most forum headers will show if there are any notifications).
    yop2unsw1ph1.png
  • prehistoricmoongoddess
    prehistoricmoongoddess Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Weigh in Wednesday

Starting weight: 170.0
    Current weight: 149.6
    Goal weight: 126.0

Last week 151.6

Almost made it back to pre-holiday weight HASWLRS. Just half a pound to go now.

I will weigh in again on 5th June and then my final one for a long time on 11th June (a day early) as I am once again on my holidays until the end of July.

• pkg1998
    pkg1998 Posts: 511 Member
    Options

@cmhubbard92 WOW - what great insight into how to work the plan correctly for positive results. I’ve been quiet on the team lately because I have not been focused (and making excuses about it) and I have not been doing what I know I need to do in order to succeed. Your recommendations are INCREDIBLE and I’m going to use them to start to work harder and focus on what needs to be done.

Thanks for being such an inspiration and a huge part of the TBBT team.
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    Options
    pkg1998 wrote: »

@cmhubbard92 WOW - what great insight into how to work the plan correctly for positive results. I’ve been quiet on the team lately because I have not been focused (and making excuses about it) and I have not been doing what I know I need to do in order to succeed. Your recommendations are INCREDIBLE and I’m going to use them to start to work harder and focus on what needs to be done.

Thanks for being such an inspiration and a huge part of the TBBT team.

@pkg1998 thank you for your kind words. I truly hope my "advice" helps. I hope that you can pick that motivation up that you have somewhere and push forward! Just stay honest with yourself, and you will find the scales moving again once you put things into action!

Your kind words really mean a lot this morning! I'm happy I have been put in TBBT with you all!
This discussion has been closed.