Ready to SCREAM!

Options

Replies

• Mjkozki
    Mjkozki Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Got it. I'll be in fast mode at 6pm, and will remain so until Sunday night/Monday morning. That should be enough of a blank slate to do this the right way.
    Thanks Alot :)
    Mjkozki wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that I don't need the BPC and MCT oil at all? The MCT and Coconut oil in my coffee has helped to both energize and clear my head in the morning. I have no appetite till 4pm (if then). And the Keto diet said the fat bombs were to make sure I got my macros in, but I don't need it anymore? It sounds like you're saying I just need to stay in the OMD lane and watch my carbs, no?
    Honestly, you’re mentioning fat bombs, BPC and MCT oil... you don’t need to add any fat if fat loss is your goal.
    I would stop with all of that. It’s completely unnecessary and preventing body fat loss.

If your body is already high fat, your diet doesn’t really need to be.
    The fat you burn can come from body fat and will only come from body fat if you don’t eat all the fat you need to burn.
    Being in Ketosis doesn’t cause fat loss. It’s completely irrelevant to losing fat. So the fact your GKI is what it is doesn’t do anything for a fat loss goal. I can push ketones way high too if eat fat bombs and MCT oil but I won’t lose any body fat at all that way. All my burned fat is coming in by mouth. I need to use some from storage. So I have to eat a little less.

z0tf18dwythc.jpeg

• VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    HI Mjkozki, Hope your fast is going well so far!

I just took a look at your diary. From my opinion, I think you should make it a bit more well formulated. Check out this page for help (actually, the DietDoctor site is fantastic all around!) https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

I would drop all the fat bombs, unless you need one as a "treat" :). Add in some healthy low carb veggies, such as asparagus, spinach, avocado, pickles (check the label to make sure they are are no sweetners!) broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, zucchini, peppers, and tomatoes. Top with either some melted butter or olive oil as you prefer. Yes, these may take you to the higher range of your carbs, but the health benefits of these veggies are extraordinary.

To bump up your fat, include healthy fats from EVOO, avocado oil, and olives. I put green olives on salads, use them as a side dish, etc. 1. I really like them, and 2, they are a good source of fat AND sodium, which your body needs more of on a LCHF/Keto diet.

Try to vary up your protein sources, and while eggs are good, maybe substitute in some steak or ground beef, pork loins or pork chops, salmon or tuna steaks, etc. You don't want to burn out on eggs if you can help it! Also avocado and eggs make a great combo! I just slice up the avocado on some scrambled eggs, and a bit of S&P, and eat away! It seems to be more filling as well.

Side note about avocados, they are slightly higher in total carbs, but are also quite a bit higher in fiber. So depending on if you do better counting total carbs vs, net carbs will help you decide how many/often to eat avocado.

Feel free to check out my diary, it should be open to all. I do a lot of fasting, and there are some days I am just way to busy to sit down and record what I eat, but there should enough sample days to give you an idea.
  • Mjkozki
    Options
    Hi VG!
    Fast is going well, how are you doing? Thanks for the input on the diary. Fact is, I didn't know that I could expand on my eating once I became "fat-adapted."

When I started this, I'd eating fish, ground beef, steak, etc., and have a bag of vegetables and an avocado thru the course of my eating window, and end it with fat bombs and/or whey protein shake. Once the Ketone stick stopped showing purple, I thought I was supposed to bear down on the fats and stay away from anything "carb."
    I only learned yesterday this wasn't true!
    So, I'm fasting till Sunday, and I'll be entering back into OMD under the June Challenge with a lot more knowledge.

I know longer believe I was on a plateau or "stalling." I was eating too much fat and protein!

P.S. Tried on a pair of pants I haven't worn since June 2018, and they actually fit better!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Mjkozki wrote: »
    I just redid my goals, and here's what it's showing me:
    Calories-1515
    protein - 6oz or 180g
    • fat - 2.9oz or 82g
    • carbs – 0.5oz or 15g

Better? Am I supposed to be aiming for 1515, or does it matter if I'm 100 calories off?

A protein goal of 80 is really low, even for someone sedentary. You might see better results if you increase that to 100 or 120 and reduce your fat goal to compensate for the increased protein.

It seems like you’re getting straightened out but I am confused about this part in bold.

6oz of a protein food isn’t 180g or dietary protein. 6 Oz of 80/20 beef for example is about 43g of dietary protein.
    The dietary nutrients don’t equal the weight of the food. To get 180g or dietary protein (which seems to be a bit higher than necessary to be honest but is perfectly fine in my opinion) would be about 30 ounces of 80/20 ground beef in my example.
    Most people do well to aim for 1g of protein per pound of ideal body weight. There’s good wiggle room when using a goal like this. So in my case as an example, my protein goal would be about 125g grams of protein or about 1 pound of 80/20 ground beef. Obviously, different meat sources yield different protein but I’m just picking one as an example.

We are here to help you. There’s so much poor info out there. So much more than there even was 4 years ago when I started this myself and also found bad info at first.
    Hang in there.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I seems the numbers might be a general conversion of imperial measurements to metric? ETA in which case 170 grams would be a better number for 6 ounces.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I seems the numbers might be a general conversion of imperial measurements to metric? ETA in which case 170 grams would be a better number for 6 ounces.

Maybe but that doesn’t make sense as coming from any macro calculator.
    Typically when people are talking macros, they aren’t giving a serving size of each food
  • kpk54
    edited June 2019
    Options
    LOL. :) I didn't say it made any sense. I just said it looked like a general conversion of imperial to metric. If one is considering macros, one can only make some sense out of it by going around their elbow to get there. ;)

@Mjkozki, I'll suggest you keep it simple.

One needs carb restriction to be in ketosis. Hover around the 19 grams (5% of calories) you have in your food diary. Ketosis alone does not cause weight loss. There are thousand (if not millions) who eat a long term ketogenic diet and they have not wasted away. Ketosis does not cause weight loss. It makes adherence to calorie restriction easier for many.

One needs a calorie deficit for weight loss. Hover around the 1515 you have in your food diary. The 45% you have allocated to protein is OK. The 50% you have allocated to fat is OK. You don't have to hit either precisely. You need both. Eat both. They are both essential nutrients.

Try the above (current calories and macro allocations) that you have set for the month of June and see how you do. Be absolutely honest on your food diary. Before you eat it, weigh and measure it then record it.

Dukan, roux en y, select sugars, exercise, other's accomplishments, intermittent fasting, egg fasts, dry fasts, BPC, matcha, pink salt, MCT. These all show up in your posts. Some of those efforts might be slightly helpful but NONE of them can bring you life long maintenance of weight and fat without attention to calories.

• Mjkozki
    Options
    I. HATE. MATH. :s I'm trying to do this like you guys, but that calculator changes each time I use it, and I keep getting deeper into doodoo! lol Here's my third attempt:

This time, I'm trying to copy the pie chart above. Did I mention I hate math?

So, I'm 300lbs, and what I did was follow the Phinney pie chart above (those figures aren't exactly right, by the way), and broke it down like this:

PROTEIN 420g - 28% of 1500 = 14.8oz
    FAT 885g - 59% of 1500 = 31.2oz
    CARBS 180g - 13% of 1500 = 6.3oz

So I'm now breaking it down to two meals a day, trying to keep the carbs out of the equation. All I have to do is measure my food by the ounces and I should be okay. I've been following so much bad info, it amazes me that I lost any weight at all.

Does this look better? I want to be ready for the June Shedding! - I. HATE. MATH.
  • kpk54
    Options
    With just some minor clarifications:
    1500 calories x.28 (28 % protein) = 420 CALORIES, not grams. 420 calories divided by 4 calories per gram = 105 GRAMS of protein. Set your protein in MFP to around 105. Unless you have the paid version you have to work in percentage in increments of 5 (%). Therefore (if you are using the free version), I'll suggest 10% carbs, 30% protein, 60% fat.

That equates to:
    1500x.10=150 calories/4 calories in a gram of carbs=37.5 grams of carbs.
    1500x.30=450 calories/4 calories in a gram of protein =112 grams of protein
    1500x.60=900 calories/9 calories in a gram of fat=100 grams of protein.

• kpk54
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I understand what you are doing with the gram to ounce conversions of:
    • protein - 6oz or 180g
    • fat - 2.9oz or 82g
    • carbs – 0.5oz or 15g

but that doesn't always work. There are about 170-180 grams in 6 ounces but that amount does not have the same amount of calories and calories do matter. As a GENERAL example using protein...6 ounce of tilapia has considerably fewer calories than 6 ounces of 85/15 beef which has fewer calories than 70/30 beef. One can eat more ounces of tilapia than 70/30 beef for the same amount of calories. Yet all are primarily proteins. The caveat is they have varying amounts of fat.

I understand your "general guideline" so long as one can see the bigger picture. I know it is helpful for me to know that a half cup is 4 ounces and 100 grams is about 3.5 ounces so when I see something in grams I know it is just a little less than a half cup. But that is not always helpful. Using carbs as an example: 100 grams of raw spinach wouldn't even come close to fitting in a half cup. 100 grams of spinach is a pretty big pile of spinach.

• Mjkozki
    Options
    Argggh!! ::Crying incontrollably::: I. HATE. MATH.
    At this point, I'd be looking for a Cadbury Egg, but I'm going to wait until 9pm and break my fast with some broth instead. :)
    Resetting my food scale. Thanks:)

With just some minor clarifications:
    1500 calories x.28 (28 % protein) = 420 CALORIES, not grams. 420 calories divided by 4 calories per gram = 105 GRAMS of protein. Set your protein in MFP to around 105. Unless you have the paid version you have to work in percentage in increments of 5 (%). Therefore (if you are using the free version), I'll suggest 10% carbs, 30% protein, 60% fat.

That equates to:
    1500x.10=150 calories/4 calories in a gram of carbs=37.5 grams of carbs.
    1500x.30=450 calories/4 calories in a gram of protein =112 grams of protein
    1500x.60=900 calories/9 calories in a gram of fat=100 grams of protein.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    @Mjkozki You can do this! Just take a step back. You don’t need to do all this math, you are going to drive yourself crazy. Just reset your macros on MFP to whatever your (realistic) goal is. Personally mine are set at 60%F, 30%P, 10%C because that is what works for me. There is going to be some trial and error while you figure out what works best for you.

I highly recommend perusing the diaries of myself and others on this board for ideas of what kinds of Whole Foods you can be eating on a Keto diet. If you do better with recipes I suggest searching online for people like Mark Sisson, Leanne Vogel, and Diane Sanfilippo for starters.

I know it doesn’t seem like it now, but eventually this will become like second nature for you. I no longer pre-plan my meals or try to hit certain macros, it mostly just happens on its own nowadays.
  • kpk54
    Options
    I think you're getting it @mjkobzik. You did the basic number crunching and as you see in the end you have the same percentage allocations as @WholeFoods4Lyfe. That's not to say hers are perfect for you but they are a great starting point and involved a bit of thinking through the process and calculations.

I'm guilty of being an ex-teacher in my other life and very much an advocate of "Give me a fish and I'll eat for a day. TEACH me to fish and I'll eat for a lifetime".
  • Mjkozki
    Options
    My philosophy, exactly, Kpk! It may take me a while to catch on, but I appreciate the learning curve in whatever I do~!:)
    I think you're getting it @mjkobzik. You did the basic number crunching and as you see in the end you have the same percentage allocations as @WholeFoods4Lyfe. That's not to say hers are perfect for you but they are a great starting point and involved a bit of thinking through the process and calculations.

I'm guilty of being an ex-teacher in my other life and very much an advocate of "Give me a fish and I'll eat for a day. TEACH me to fish and I'll eat for a lifetime".

• BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi, y'all. I just started Keto and, after reading all your posts, I have a sinking feeling I'm not doing it right. I thought the idea was to eat more fat and less protein and carbs. I'm on 1,000 calories a day and I keep my daily intake to; carbs 13g, protein 50g and fat 83g. Is this right?
  • Mjkozki
    Options
    Wow! you've got some low-end calories, there! I'm getting the hang of my macros, but even with my earlier errors, I know that 1000 calories a day can be challenging!

How much do you weigh?
    How much are you trying to lose?
    Are you Keto-IF, OMD, what?

Most important - Are you hungry? :)

Hi, y'all. I just started Keto and, after reading all your posts, I have a sinking feeling I'm not doing it right. I thought the idea was to eat more fat and less protein and carbs. I'm on 1,000 calories a day and I keep my daily intake to; carbs 13g, protein 50g and fat 83g. Is this right?

• BlancheandSmooshyface
    Options
    I weighed 243 when I started Keto and I want to get down to 120, which was what I weighed before medical issues confined me to bed and a wheelchair. I don't know what Keto-IF and OMD is, as I said, I'm new to all this. I'm not hungry but I do notice I get headaches (not migraines, thankfully). Could you tell me if my carb, protein and fat ratios are correct?
  • Mjkozki
    Options
    Honestly, I'm only about three steps ahead of you! I know the Keto way, and I've embraced it as my time ever doing anything suggesting a 'diet (this is lifestyle change),' but I was totally confused about the ratios until I came here.
    Rather than possibly confusing you, I'm going to tell you to give a shout out to @kpk54
    and @WholeFoods4Lyfe. They helped me get on the right track.
    One thing: They may tell you something different, but my understanding is that you have to EAT to LOSE. Your calories seem awfully low to me.
    I'm a sedentary person with a bad right knee and a foot that's healing, so I don't run and I barely walk without a cane. I'm only now starting to work with WII FIT, but I'm still needing to take in 1500 calories in order to lose fat and not muscle. So, if I'm wrong, I apologize, but I think anything below 1200 calories should be a cause of concern.
    So reach out to those ladies and check out your dashboard and click on "Goals," and read that. It's important.
    Hope this helps,
    Mjkozki
    I weighed 243 when I started Keto and I want to get down to 120, which was what I weighed before medical issues confined me to bed and a wheelchair. I don't know what Keto-IF and OMD is, as I said, I'm new to all this. I'm not hungry but I do notice I get headaches (not migraines, thankfully). Could you tell me if my carb, protein and fat ratios are correct?

• BlancheandSmooshyface
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I would suggest aiming for a minimum of 100g of protein, and increase calories to at least 1200...MFP will not calculate a calorie goal below 1200 because it's very difficult to get adequate nutrition below that and it's really not recommended to go lower unless you are doing so under medical supervision. Even short and sedentary, you still need adequate nutrition for your body.

13g of carbs is fine if that's sustainable for you.

Whatever fat goal you want is fine, but don't worry about eating extra fat to reach that, you can mostly ignore fat consumption, there's no reason to strive to reach that as a goal. You already have fat on your body, so you already have access to those fat reserves, you don't need to go out of the way to consume those.

The average person can only metabolize about 1% body fat per week, so if you find yourself losing more than 1% of your weight per week, then you are losing muscle or water or something other than just fat and you might be better served by increasing calories until you are at or below that 1% number. Long term it's just the fat you want gone, not the muscle. Water will go in the beginning due to lack of carbs, but that should stabilize after the first few weeks.