Progress Report

Options

Replies

• BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    My Starting Over Weight: 499lbs on Mar 14, 2019
    My Final Weight Goal: 150lbs
    The Milestone I'm Most Looking Forward To Reaching: Today I can't wait to be below 400 again!!
    My Current Weight: 419.2lbs
    My Total Loss So Far: 79.8lbs

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @BettJo64 Great job! I know when I finally dropped into the next "100's) place, I was super excited. And your doctor has to be ecstatic for you - I know my doctor was thrilled :)
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    My Starting Weight: ~375 lbs (01/01/2017)
    My goal: 220 lbs (This would put me in the obesity stage 1 category)
    Milestone: 260 lbs (this would put me below the 40 BMI mark for being morbidly obese or stage 3 obese)
    Current Weight: 290.4 lbs 6/21/19
    Loss this Week: -0.3 lbs
    Total loss: -84.6 lbs

What's Working/What Needs Work
    : It's a loss, even its a small one, though I think the actual loss was higher than that - however, I'm a lot blocked up right now in the plumbing, so to speak, and TOM should be starting today, both of which are resulting in water weight gain. I also haven't been sleeping very well this week, and I've noticed that on days where I get under 5 hours of sleep (like last night), I usually retain water into the morning, so all those factors have come together against me.

However, even with the over eating last weekend (because though I mitigated some of the damage with bike rides and long hikes and walks, I still probably went over maintenance those 3 days), I still showed some loss, so I'm happy!

The all day fasting thing once a week seems to be helping. I fasted a full day last week and was found I was able to stay under my limit every day until Friday and the start of the camping trip. Monday, when I came home from the camping trip, I stayed under 1500 calories for the day, and actually was under even more because I didn't count back the exercise calories associated with mowing my grass, weed-eating, and the work I was doing in the yard that evening.

I tried to do an all day fast on Tuesday to help account for the over-indulgence over the weekend, and made it until evening. But I began doing some heavy housework that evening - vacuuming, mopping the entire house (and I have no carpet at all, so I have to mop every room), and sorting and cleaning up my spare room for my cousin to use this weekend, and found myself getting shaky, so I made myself a ham wrap and allowed myself to eat a can of peaches because I apparently seriously needed the food for the activity I was doing. So instead of being an all day fast, I ate 1 meal which kept me to under 800 calories for the day. Again, I did not count back any exercise calories at all that day either, which means I was probably closer to something like 300 net for the day in actuality.

I was really proud of myself yesterday - I stayed under 1500 calories for the day, despite spending the day out of town for work! So even with eating out for 2 meals, I kept control of the need to snack and stayed under!

Tonight, I'm taking my cousin out for dinner and a play for her birthday, so I only had apple juice and my usual almond milk and splash of creamer for breakfast, and will try to skip lunch all together or at least only have vegetables to save as many calories as I can for the dinner as we're going to a restaurant that doesn't have calorie counts. I can approximate the best I can, but its a fancier place so I doubt they're going to have much that is very diet friendly, though I plan to stick to salad and stay away from saucy items.

Tomorrow we're going to the local Renaissance Festival and I'm not even going to bother trying to count calories there. However, the festival grounds are on a hillside, so walking up and down that hill all day long should help a lot! And one day, after being so good all week, I know won't kill me, and I can pick a day for an all day fast next week to help cover any extra calories I consume.

so anyway, I may have finally latched onto something to break me out of this horrible plateau I was in; next weekend, I think, may be the full tale because TOM should be over and hopefully, I'll drop this extra water weight and can see what my true weight is. wish me luck!
  • BettJo64
    Options
    @bmeadows380 Thank you so much for the encouragement!! Yes, my general doc was thrilled at my checkup. Can't wait to see my cardiologist in August! Hopefully, I'll have even more off by then.

I certainly wish you luck with the once a week fasting plan. I've heard it works well for some people. Keep us posted on how you're doing with it. And have fun this weekend!!!
  • Becoming_Palm
    Becoming_Palm Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My Starting Weight: ~470 lbs
    My goal: 175 lbs (just because I remember this being my weight in 3rd grade.)
    Ultimate goal no matter the poundage: Size 18...no lower than Size 12
    Milestone: Under 450 lbs and then under 400 (I am just tired of being in the 4's)
    Current Weight: 459 lbs 6/23/19
    Loss this Week: 0
    Gained 7lbs
    Total loss: -17 lbs according to MFP

What's Working/What Needs Work: I need to meal prep and stick with it. I need to start working out again...but due to a car accident and car injury I am skeptical of it. Because of my size, my doctor said for me to continue to work out. I HATE doctors with a passion at this point. I need to find new ones. I also need an accountability partner. I'm losing hope on this journey of losing weight.
  • BettJo64
    Options
    Beauty1726 wrote: »
    My Starting Weight: ~470 lbs
    My goal: 175 lbs (just because I remember this being my weight in 3rd grade.)
    Ultimate goal no matter the poundage: Size 18...no lower than Size 12
    Milestone: Under 450 lbs and then under 400 (I am just tired of being in the 4's)
    Current Weight: 459 lbs 6/23/19
    Loss this Week: 0
    Gained 7lbs
    Total loss: -17 lbs according to MFP

What's Working/What Needs Work: I need to meal prep and stick with it. I need to start working out again...but due to a car accident and car injury I am skeptical of it. Because of my size, my doctor said for me to continue to work out. I HATE doctors with a passion at this point. I need to find new ones. I also need an accountability partner. I'm losing hope on this journey of losing weight.

@Beauty1726 I certainly understand. We are both over 400lbs which has us dealing with issues that others may not relate to completely. We struggle with hope and keeping that fire in us for the fight...even though we want it desperately. I want to be here for you...with you the whole way through and hope you'll stay committed to showing up daily for yourself and for your friends. Send me a request if you would like and I'll happily accept.
  • Becoming_Palm
    Becoming_Palm Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @BettJo64 thank you! And it's true especially when there MIGHT be a diagnosis of me not being able to lose weight. 😩
  • MzCara148
    MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    @Beauty1726 Doctors can be the worst sometimes. Yes - I’m overweight. I’m painfully aware - literally. Sometimes I just want to say - if you don’t have something to offer other than eat less, shut up, lol.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Beauty1726 wrote: »
    @BettJo64 thank you! And it's true especially when there MIGHT be a diagnosis of me not being able to lose weight. 😩

@Beauty1726 I would seriously question any diagnosis from a doctor saying you cannot lose weight. A medical condition can make it very difficult, but never impossible, and there are inspirational stories out there of folks who succeeded. There are a lot of myths floating around concerning weight loss, metabolism, insulin, etc and I've found that the general medical community oftentimes is way behind on the current research or easily buy into unfounded theories in areas outside their expertise.

there is a lot of good information here from folks who keep up with the times, though I know how tricky it can be to sort the reliable information from the rampant misinformation that is out there. Look up "Starvation Mode" for an example; that's a myth that has been around for a very, very long time. (though too bad it isn't true; then the answer would only be to stop eating completely! lol)

I was told by an endocrinologist that because I had PCOS and thyroid problems, that I'd never lose weight. I lost 90 lbs in 2012. I did gain almost all of it back, but I then proceeded to lose 100 lbs in 2017. It certainly wasn't easy, and my brain can be an insidious enemy that constantly confounds my efforts, but I've proven to myself that it's not impossible!

I think doctors should be looking for ways to help their patients figure out the underlying cause that blocks them from losing weight, because most of us don't "want" to be fat and are incredibly frustrated because we can't figure out why we can't seem to get anywhere in weight loss efforts. It certainly is incredibly insensitive and unhelpful to tell us that we're just being lazy gluttons. I'm finding in my own case that the actual fight isn't physical; it's mental, and the worst battles I have is with my will. So I need to focus on ways that can help me bolster my will power.

Sorry for the rant lol :blush: I've been where you are with a doctor's comments, and know how defeating and demoralizing that can be! Weight loss isn't easy for anyone, whether you're trying to lose 100+ lbs or that last 10; we need all the encouragement we can get!

You can do this, though, and you've got our support in helping you figure out the plan that will work best for you!
  • BettJo64
    Options
    My Next Milestone I'm Most Looking Forward To Reaching: I can't wait to be below 400 again🤘
    My Current Weight: 416.4lbs
    My Total Loss So Far: 82.6lbs✔
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Milestone: 260 lbs (this would put me below the 40 BMI mark for being morbidly obese or stage 3 obese)
    Current Weight: 290.4 lbs 6/28/19
    Loss this Week: -0 lbs
    Total loss: -84.6 lbs

: Well, it looks like I accomplished nothing this week, but I know that I'm still fighting water retention and its masking my progress. The scale is stubbornly refusing to drop below that 290 mark, but I'm continuing on. The good news is that the fasting/intermittent fasting seems to be working this time around, and most days, I'm actually staying below my calorie count.

One thing that is probably hindering my efforts and contributing to the bloat is my weekends, however, and this coming weekend isn't sadly going to be any different. I'm doing very well during the week by either doing a 24 hour fast one day or at least keeping it under 500 or 800 calories depending on my activity level for that day. When I do that long term fast say on a Monday, I'm finding that its much easier for me to stay under 1500 calories the rest of the week, and I haven't been dealing with the strong mental desire to go ahead and eat over like I had before; for now, the magic "switch" in my willpower seems to have flipped back on.

but for the last several weekends, I've been in situations where I know I've been over eating. Now I also know it was never enough to completely blow my progress for the entire week, and that's a lot of the reason for the Monday 24 hour fasts, using that to make up for the over spend on the weekends, but its also probably contributing to the water weight that is hanging on. That and "plumbing issues".......

This week, on Tuesday, I met my parents at Lowes for supplies and we went to Shoneys for dinner. I had most of my calories still available, and while I know I probably went over my 1500 limit, I know I was well under maintenance. however, it is restaurant food, and restaurant food like that always seems to result in a couple of days of bloat for me, so there's all kinds of things that are contributing to the water weight.

So I keep telling myself to hold on, that it is working and that once the water weight goes away, I'll see my actual results, but it can be frustrating! Still, I'm greatly enjoying the fact that the switch seems to be back on for the moment! Now if i can just bust through that stupid 290 mark and get back into the 280's!
  • MzCara148
    Options
    @bmeadows380 - that switch is everything. When it is “on” for me I’m a weight losing rockstar. When it’s off, all bets are off. So even though the scale didn’t move, you still had a victory!
  • MzCara148
    Options
    My starting weigh 321
    My goal 161
    Milestone 271 (where I was last year before I went crazy)
    Current 299.4
    Total loss 21.6

I’m not really “counting” my losses until I get back to where I was last year. That will be down 30 more.

I was doing really well making healthy choices. Now I am sliding into bad habits and just going with CICO, not paying a lot of attention to the quality of those calories. I “hoard” my calories during the day so I can snack at night. I know it has to change but I am just not ready.

My BIG challenge starts on Monday. I am driving from the east coast to California and back. We are taking a month to do it. I have been seriously avoiding thinking about it. Will I stay on plan? Maybe do maintenance calories for a while? My mind keeps shrinking from even thinking about it, but I almost out of time....
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Just joined the group :)

Initial Weight: 386.6 lbs (01/01/2019)
    Goal: 195 lbs (enough to take me out of the "obese" category in terms of BMI)
    Next Milestone: 299
    Current Weight: 321.5 lbs (6/30)
    Loss this week: slight gain so far this week, but that's just normal fluctuations
    Total loss: -65.1 lbs

Just hit a milestone this week. 65 lbs lost, which is the same as my six year old daughter weighs. The idea of carrying her around 24/7 is crazy to me, but that's basically what I was doing last winter.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Current Weight: 287.0 lbs 7/4/19
    Loss this Week: -3.4 lbs
    Total loss: -88 lbs

What's Working/What Needs Work: well, that looks like a fantastic loss, but I can definitely say that I don't recommend the method that brought it on - I must have picked up a stomach virus or perhaps a touch of food poisoning because I was not a happy camper this morning, and while emptying my stomach in a hurry made me feel a little better, I'm still queasy and my stomach is having a split personality moment right now where it wants food but dares me to even try......

So that means that this probably isn't a true loss and the scale will likely bounce back up next week, though hopefully not too far. The good noise is that the plumping issues I was dealing with seem to have finally resolved themselves, but I know I'm still retaining fluid as I feel bloated and swelled. The humidity is up in the area and I never deal well with high humidity. I'm also swelled because I spend yesterday in the sun working on building a wall for the camper my dad and I are building, and that about 6 hours of hard work, so I was putting through their paces muscles that hadn't seen that much activity in a while. Great exercise, though! And I acknowledge may also be the source of the stomach issues, though I was doing my best to stay hydrated and we took shade breaks and even sat in the truck during lunch with the air conditioner on full blast to cool down. But while I've been working outside all summer, its always been in the evening after work and not for that long period of time, so the sickness may have been some delayed reaction to too much sun exposure. Mom and Dad are still working on it; I'm going to give it a little more time, then I might go over and get back involved because its my camper and I detest that they would be building it without me considering they are older and that's a lot of strenuous hard work; I don't want them to have to strain so much when I'm considerably younger and more able to handle the heavy work!

So anyway, I'm not really getting the joy of finally seeing 2-8 on that scale instead of 2-9; if it continues to stay below 290 through next week, and I am sure it is truly a loss and not just a temporary thing, then I'll perk up some :)
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Current Weight: 286.0 lbs 7/11/19
    Loss this Week: -1 lbs
    Total loss: -89 lbs

: well, some of the water weight released. It's amazing how that works - 293 yesterday; 286 this morning. That's a lot of water retention, and my common sense sides says that its no wonder i'm having so much trouble seeing progress if my body is holding onto water like that - 7 lbs?!!!!!

Still, I was down yesterday anyway, so that scale reading yesterday didn't help; seeing that 286 today was a great morale booster. We'll see how this weekend goes; its the first weekend in a long time where I don't have a reunion, cookout, or special holiday or whatever, so I should hopefully be able to stick closer to goal for once and not negate most of my progress during the week.

I finally updated my body measurements this week; its been over a year since the last time I updated them. I had gained back about 25 lbs from my lowest weight in the last 18 months, and my measurements were up by about 1 1/2", though I'm thinking that isn't as bad as it could be; most of the clothes I bought back then still fit, at least.

Back to camper building this weekend--we'll be putting the metal on the sides and roof, so there'll be lots of heavy lifting, up and down ladders, and wielding hammers and drills. I'm just hoping for an overcast day so we won't be out in the sun the whole time!
  • BettJo64
    Options
    Current Weight: 286.0 lbs 7/11/19
    Loss this Week: -1 lbs
    Total loss: -89 lbs

: well, some of the water weight released. It's amazing how that works - 293 yesterday; 286 this morning. That's a lot of water retention, and my common sense sides says that its no wonder i'm having so much trouble seeing progress if my body is holding onto water like that - 7 lbs?!!!!!

Still, I was down yesterday anyway, so that scale reading yesterday didn't help; seeing that 286 today was a great morale booster. We'll see how this weekend goes; its the first weekend in a long time where I don't have a reunion, cookout, or special holiday or whatever, so I should hopefully be able to stick closer to goal for once and not negate most of my progress during the week.

I finally updated my body measurements this week; its been over a year since the last time I updated them. I had gained back about 25 lbs from my lowest weight in the last 18 months, and my measurements were up by about 1 1/2", though I'm thinking that isn't as bad as it could be; most of the clothes I bought back then still fit, at least.

Back to camper building this weekend--we'll be putting the metal on the sides and roof, so there'll be lots of heavy lifting, up and down ladders, and wielding hammers and drills. I'm just hoping for an overcast day so we won't be out in the sun the whole time!

Girl, I'm super happy for you!!! I know you've been stressing a lot about your fluid retention...which I certainly know firsthand how that feels. To see this huge loss of 7lbs in just one day must have blown your mind!! Plus that's a phenomenal total loss for sure!! Sounds like you got a plan and are actively going after your goal. Nothing more fierce than a woman on a mission!!!
  • BettJo64
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    Just joined the group :)

Initial Weight: 386.6 lbs (01/01/2019)
    Goal: 195 lbs (enough to take me out of the "obese" category in terms of BMI)
    Next Milestone: 299
    Current Weight: 321.5 lbs (6/30)
    Loss this week: slight gain so far this week, but that's just normal fluctuations
    Total loss: -65.1 lbs

Just hit a milestone this week. 65 lbs lost, which is the same as my six year old daughter weighs. The idea of carrying her around 24/7 is crazy to me, but that's basically what I was doing last winter.

Hey, Merph :) I'm Betty. Welcome to the group. I'm about 90lbs bigger than you, but I can still relate. I've been here on MFP a long time, but this go round started me in March at 499lbs. Today just under 90lbs lost in 4 months. I'm committed to reaching my goal of 150lbs no matter how long it takes. I'm an avid daily logger and if you're interested in supporting one another...shoot me a request. I can't say loud enough BRAVO for all your hard work to lose that 65lbs so far!! You got this all the way to goal!!!
  • BettJo64
    Options
    The Next Milestone I'm Most Looking Forward To Reaching: Being under 400lbs again!!
    My Current Weight: 409lbs on July 12, 2019
    My Total Loss So Far: 90lbs in almost 4 months

What's working and what needs work: I believe watching my macros percentages every day is working for me. I strive to have 45% protein, 30% carbs, and 25% fat in total for my day. Today is actually the first day I've hit the nail on the head exactly, so I'm pretty psyched about that. Up until today, I've managed to keep it close to goal all the time. I've lost this 90lbs in just under 4mths using this method and I'm most definitely paying attention to my sodium, too...making sure to keep it under goal every single day! Fluid retention is no joke and can add pounds on for days or weeks until you finally flush it out. Salt is the main culprit, but some meds play a part, too. From my group of friends, I'm seeing that most of them do not pay attention nor even seem to care that they go over...sometimes they even double their sodium. Makes me crazy to see that when they complain of being swollen and retaining fluids. There's certain foods you can eat, too, that alleviate that as well. Anyways, I watch the sodium because of my own bad experiences with edema.

As for what still needs work...well, I still haven't reached a point where I can do much physical activity. But I think I can do more now than before since I've lost a little more. Maybe I can't get on my treadmill, recumbent bike, or elliptical yet due to my bone pain. But I am going to try to start doing some chair exercises and upping my daily steps in and around the house...using my walker when outside. I also would like to add more protein variety choices to my life. Need to research those that are either low or no fat at all...just high protein levels. Slowly stocking up on low/no fat products in the house, so I'll continue doing this as the paychecks allow. I've also added fruit to my days every now and again which is something I never really cared about doing. Think I should expand it beyond the berries, kiwi, and bananas that I've added so far. Will look into that for sure.

I'm happier and feeling better every day, so I know I'm doing everything the right way this time around. I don't feel deprived at all because I strive to make meals that are pleasing and compatible with my family's eats...but still staying within my food plan and daily goals.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Current Weight: 285.4 lbs 7/18/19
    Loss this Week: -0.6 lbs
    Total loss: -89.6 lbs

What's Working/What Needs Work: *sigh* I know I should be content - a loss is a loss, and I did register a loss for the week. But I'm still disappointed and discouraged. I did a re-evaluation last week on what my calorie count ought to be and took an average of about 9 or 10 different calorie calculators to come up with what my calorie limit ought to be, which in turn dropped it another 50 calories down to 1450. I'm trying to lose 2 lbs a week, and for a 285 lb mostly sedentary person, that should have been 1000 calories off a week. I know I over ate on Saturday and some on Sunday, but I was also extremely active, working out in the sun both those days. And I stayed under my calorie goal the rest of the week, only counting back a small fraction of my work calories on Tuesday after working hard all day Monday and all evening on Tuesday. So its really discouraging to only see a 0.5 lb loss when I should have been seeing at least 3 times that! I know that even when I go over on Saturday and Sunday, it's not over to the tune of 5,000 calories, when I'm working form a 1,000 deficit a day - there is no way I'm over-eating enough in 2 days to wipe out an entire week's deficit!

I know - the heat index is high, the humidity is up, I know I'm retaining water because I feel puffy, and I've also been putting my muscles through a workout this week, but it seems that I have permanent water retention as this is the same pattern every week! I've been so good the last few weeks - even weighing everything, but I'm still feeling really disappointing in the results of my efforts.

I'm also perpetually stressed which leads to a struggle with low mood and depression, which isn't helping - and not having much success on the scale just makes my frustration worse.

*sigh* all I can do is keep going on. I finally updated my measurements last week; in a month, I'll measure again. Hopefully I'll see results there even if the scale is being stubborn, though I'm not sure how much results I'll actually see if any from measurements if I'm dealing with water retention making me puffy.

I'm also thinking of trying a suggestion I saw on I think it was physionomic's website: he suggested taking your weight daily and then average them all at the end of the week to supposedly help smooth out the water weight bounce. I think I might try that starting tomorrow and see if it gives me any better looking results. I suppose it can't hurt, anyway!

Meanwhile, I'll just have to try to do better on the weekends, I guess. It's easier during the week as I'm working most of the day and its easier to stay structured. But on the weekends, my schedule is off, I eat with the family and not on my own, and I tend to be more active which in turn makes me hungrier, which makes it difficult to stay under budget.

I gained back about 25 lbs or so in the last 18 months, so I can't even consider anything to be progress until I get back down to 270 lbs, and with the way things are going now, I'll be lucky to be back there by New Years! :(