What's your "achilles heel?"

Replies

• mo8414
    mo8414 Posts: 13 Member
    The hardest thing for me to stop was drinking pepsi. I would easily drink 2 liters a day but usually more. I would get cravings for it bad. It took me 2 weeks to finally get over it with no more cravings and I had a massive headache for about 2 days from caffeine withdrawl. Now I drink only water which I absolutly could not stand at first but now I'm used to it and actually crave the water when I'm thirsty. I've tried quitting pop in the past which would last about 4 days then I'd be drinking it again. This time I'm finally over it, been over a month now.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I've always struggled with plain water too, I got a filter jug for the fridge and now it's what I drink the most.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Today was my first craving since I started a couple of weeks ago, something I have eaten all my life, cereal. All day I planned on having some after work, I get home and pour the cereal into a bowl. Then I think, measure it out, so I weigh what I poured out. 6 servings worth wtf, I cant eat that much, I decided on 3. I measure out the milk and eat my little reward. Little victories, still less than 2500 calories today, before I would have eaten 6 or more servings of cereal instead if 3. Who the hell ever ate just 1 serving of cereal according to the packaging anyways? Keep up the fight!
  • wsualumohsix
    wsualumohsix Posts: 27 Member
    Pizza...all freaking day. I have gotten to the point that I allow myself to have it once every couple weeks or once a month now. Instead of eating the entire thing like I used to, I throw half of it in the trash immediately...upside down.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    jjlewey wrote: »
    Today was my first craving since I started a couple of weeks ago, something I have eaten all my life, cereal. All day I planned on having some after work, I get home and pour the cereal into a bowl. Then I think, measure it out, so I weigh what I poured out. 6 servings worth wtf, I cant eat that much, I decided on 3. I measure out the milk and eat my little reward. Little victories, still less than 2500 calories today, before I would have eaten 6 or more servings of cereal instead if 3. Who the hell ever ate just 1 serving of cereal according to the packaging anyways? Keep up the fight!

Good job.

Cereal is extremely disappointing on serving size unless you really just want a handful with no milk as a snack. I hesitate to think how many calories of it I would once have in a single sitting. I wasn't much of a volume eater in those days but cereal was the exception. I would make a moderately sized mixing bowl full of it and sometimes go back for another half bowl for seconds. The only good news was that I didn't want it or buy it that often. I would get a box finish it off too quickly then usually it would be a couple of months before I would do that again. I still crave Golden Grahams on occasion but I am fortunate it is not more often because even 3 servings is not really enough and it doesn't fill me for long so I am hungry again in a couple of hours.
  • NovusDies
    Pizza...all freaking day. I have gotten to the point that I allow myself to have it once every couple weeks or once a month now. Instead of eating the entire thing like I used to, I throw half of it in the trash immediately...upside down.

I dropped down to a thin crust so I could eat more of it in a sitting. I can usually make an entire medium thin crust (depending on toppings) fit in my calories once a week with no problem. Regular pizza is a requirement for me. I would not have lost weight if I had tried to cut it out of my plan entirely. I have made that mistake in the past and it always backfired.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    I'm not at all a big food person. I grew up super picky and now I have food allergies that limit my already (albeit slightly broadened) limited food choices.

However, there are a few things I would love to indulge in EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. (And did. Numerous times and were a direct contributor to weight gain).

Peanut M&Ms.
    Starbucks Frapps (which I can't have anymore, at least not in the US).
    Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches (also hard to have now, but YUM YUM).
    Mac'n'Cheese (can't have that either -- at least not easily ;.;)

So that really leaves Peanut M&Ms and granola. I could mindlessly hork down a whole bag of them babies - and did on vacation! >.>

So Peanut M&Ms are not allowed in the house.

They will be eaten.

dun, dun, dunn~
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    I'm not at all a big food person. I grew up super picky and now I have food allergies that limit my already (albeit slightly broadened) limited food choices.

However, there are a few things I would love to indulge in EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. (And did. Numerous times and were a direct contributor to weight gain).

Peanut M&Ms.

So that really leaves Peanut M&Ms and granola. I could mindlessly hork down a whole bag of them babies - and did on vacation! >.>

They will be eaten.

dun, dun, dunn~

I am with ya on the peanut m&ms. They are the devil.
  • eastjc
    eastjc Posts: 32 Member
    Pretzels get me so I have to avoid that isle in the store.

Vodka's been a problem before too. Haven't touched it in 3 months though so not drinking 10k calories a night works wonders for weight loss!
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    @jjlewey But so tastyyyy...
  • NovusDies
    jjlewey wrote: »

Peanut M&Ms.

They will be eaten.

dun, dun, dunn~

I am with ya on the peanut m&ms. They are the devil.

Preach.

I am weird about some things. I don't even like sweets but I can eat a crazy amount of peanut m&ms. They lace them with crack. I am sure of it.
  • corkdorkva
    corkdorkva Posts: 24 Member
    Wine and chocolate call to me. I just joined this group and have been logging on Noom and MFP for a little over a week. I noticed pretty quickly that my glass of wine with dinner was blowing my calories for the day. Sometimes I think just getting them out of the house would be best but that is not realistic. I want to make changes that are sustainable.
  • LilSkittles22
    LilSkittles22 Posts: 22 Member
    Chips are my biggest weakness. There was a time, I'm very ashamed to admit, that I was eating a bag of chips almost every day. And there were times when I'd eat 2 (of my medium size bag, not the big one thankfully). I don't want to cut them out completely because I know that will lead to a major binge, but I have cut back a lot. I usually only eat them on Saturday night, and it's a good treat. I do eat a big bag, but I eat ones that aren't quite as high in calories so it doesn't completely undo what I've worked so hard for all week. I do crave sweets, but its easier to satisfy that with a small amount. A little piece of chocolate or something will get rid of the craving quickly and I don't consume a ton of calories.
    I'm very surprised to find that I haven't had very many cravings the last few weeks. It's a lot easier to turn down super unhealthy food, and I find I want to make good choices because I really want to meet my goals. Let's just hope it says that way :)
  • davemacdonald31
    davemacdonald31 Posts: 196 Member
    Chips are my biggest weakness. There was a time, I'm very ashamed to admit, that I was eating a bag of chips almost every day. And there were times when I'd eat 2 (of my medium size bag, not the big one thankfully). I don't want to cut them out completely because I know that will lead to a major binge, but I have cut back a lot. I usually only eat them on Saturday night, and it's a good treat. I do eat a big bag, but I eat ones that aren't quite as high in calories so it doesn't completely undo what I've worked so hard for all week. I do crave sweets, but its easier to satisfy that with a small amount. A little piece of chocolate or something will get rid of the craving quickly and I don't consume a ton of calories.
    I'm very surprised to find that I haven't had very many cravings the last few weeks. It's a lot easier to turn down super unhealthy food, and I find I want to make good choices because I really want to meet my goals. Let's just hope it says that way :)

I feel your pain. I was eating a big bag almost everyday, and tried to hide the evidence from my wife. I have given up chips, but I do know there will come a time at a party, where I will have some, but I have to just limit what I eat.
  • NovusDies
    Chips I can moderate even though it is not always satisfying. I eat under 100 cal of chips 4 or 5 times a week.

Cheese puffs on the other hand are especially cruel because there doesn't seem to be any way that something so full of air could pack in that many calories. I have eaten 2 full big bags in the past and wanted a third.
  • LilSkittles22
    LilSkittles22 Posts: 22 Member
    My favorite chips are flamin' hot funyuns (I really like the regular ones too) and they are a good portion air much like cheese puffs. In some ways I like that because it means the whole bag is "only" like 750 calories, so I can make room for it a little easier than a bag that's 1,600. There are times I would have eaten more than 1 bag if I'd had it. Not going to lie, there have been times I've gone through 2 or 3 big bags of chips in a weekend. My husband used to work every other weekend, so I'd spend the time he was away eating and watching TV. I'm very glad he no longer works weekends (mostly because I love being with him) because we do more together and I don't sit around eating like I used to. This week I'm allowing myself to have the little snack bags with my lunch, but I've been trying to avoid them. I know cutting stuff out isn't sustainable, but I feel like I need a little tough love with chips because it's really hard for me to practice moderation with them. And long term, I don't want to be addicted to them like I am right now. I'm just glad I'm not the only one! :)
  • NovusDies
    My favorite chips are flamin' hot funyuns (I really like the regular ones too) and they are a good portion air much like cheese puffs. In some ways I like that because it means the whole bag is "only" like 750 calories, so I can make room for it a little easier than a bag that's 1,600. There are times I would have eaten more than 1 bag if I'd had it. Not going to lie, there have been times I've gone through 2 or 3 big bags of chips in a weekend. My husband used to work every other weekend, so I'd spend the time he was away eating and watching TV. I'm very glad he no longer works weekends (mostly because I love being with him) because we do more together and I don't sit around eating like I used to. This week I'm allowing myself to have the little snack bags with my lunch, but I've been trying to avoid them. I know cutting stuff out isn't sustainable, but I feel like I need a little tough love with chips because it's really hard for me to practice moderation with them. And long term, I don't want to be addicted to them like I am right now. I'm just glad I'm not the only one! :)

I wouldn't call it cutting them out I would call it delaying gratification. Instant gratification is definitely not sustainable unless you always crave celery sticks.

Also some people do find that a cooling off period is beneficial. I refused to have beef jerky or reeses pb cups in the house for months. Now I feel more comfortable moderating them. The constant act of weighing my food on a scale and logging forced me to learn to be more mindful.

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Have you ever read the book, “ If You Give A Mouse A Cookie” ?....Well, I am THE MOUSE or in my case, The RAT!...the book is about a cute little mouse that gets a cookie and then he needs a glass of milk to go with it, and then a friend to share it with and then if he is having a friend over, he might as well invite a few friends and have a party!...

How much easier our diets would be and how much healthier we would be if we could stop at just one cookie!...but cookies are my best most favorite greatest thing to pop in my mouth!...and if I have one cookie, then I want another one and since I had a couple of cookies, I might as well have a glass of milk and some candy and maybe order a pizza....I blew the day so I might as well blow it all out!...there is always tomorrow...

Well, guess what?...as sad as it is, eventually your tomorrows are going to run out....you will have missed out on so many things in life that you could have been enjoying if you had stopped at one damn cookie!...I have had a very self destructive life when it comes to food and overeating...at almost 70 years old, I am learning I CAN stop at one cookie!...

Case in point........( drum roll ).... I bought ONE big ginger molasses cookie on Monday and I have saved it all week....tonight I am going to eat ONE cookie with a cup of coffee after dinner and savor every crumb of it....I shall eat ONE cookie!...and I will enjoy every single 200 calories in it.....I CAN do this and so can you!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    Congratulations, Connie! You really are a great encouragment to me and this board :)

That's why when I go to McDonald's and decide I want a cookie, I order ONE. The cashier will always say "but they are two for a dollar!" and I'll point out every time that I only need to eat one; if you give me two, I'm going to eat two and I have the calories alotted for one, not two. Same thing with Hardees - their apple pies are two for a dollar as well, which is even more damaging than mcDonald's cookies, and I tell them the same thing. I have to limit myself like that because I recognize I have no willpower to avoid temptation when its staring me in the face.