What's on your mind today?

Options
13»

Replies

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Hair...my least favorite topic...only because I haven't changed my hair for probably 30 years. I'm as archaic as they get. At almost 70, my hair is still long. I have no color that is not natural...but it's mousy color on the sides & back and mostly gray in the front. I just wish it was all white. My sister just told me yesterday she had her hair cut short and feels she looks 10 years younger. I think that's just her way to coerce me into cutting mine. She's been telling me to cut it ever since I turned 40. Think I would die of "FRIGHT" if I were to make a change and actually look in the mirror!

I mostly look in the mirror these days and ask "Who IS that??" :-)
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    @hil331115 if you're thinking about change, I say go for it!
    @w8goal4life your hair is fabulous! Mine was looking a bit tired and for me, your sister was right. I think I look about 5-10 years younger at first glance.
    @jan110144 :)
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    @am_change Thank you for the thoughtful comment. I leave my hair long and straight only because I don't want to be bothered with styling it. On occasion, I'll put it up or braid it to get it out of the way (such as on a windy day)...but most of the time, it's down. I'm just a plain Jane.
  • Ketch_22
    Ketch_22 Posts: 12,711 Member
    Options
    am_change wrote: »
    What's on my mind today? Lots. But I'll talk about hair! So, I had my hair cut and before going had a think about what to get done. I asked my 3 yrold daughter and she said to get it short like grandad. Well, that cheered up her pretty much completely bald grandad. But it made me think that I have had almost the same style all my adult life give or take a few fringes (bangs) and I thought about why. Well for the last few years I think I've been clinging on to the style I had pre kids when slimmer.
    Why? Did it make me feel slimmer? Or make the bigger reflection in the mirror feel better? Not really. So I took the plunge and asked the hairdresser to cut it so it sat on my shoulders (a BIG cut as it was half way down my back). And she did what hair dressers do and took another 2 inches so it's just below my chin. And it looks ok! Shortest it's been in the best part of 20 years! I'm still bigger than I want to be but I feel like Ive let go of clinging on to me from the past. I thought I was waiting to get closer to goal before changing my hair. As someone who's been dying her her the same colour since it started going grey (or white even!) at 18 (now mid thirties) I might even change hair colour next.

So many transformations on this health journey and hair is just another part I guess. Back in Feb when I lost first 10 pounds I too chopped it all off. I am over 50 and my plan was once my hair turned grey, I'd start coloring and change the style. I waited but grey didn't come (yet) and held onto old ideals thinking that was working and suddenly said let's just do it! I highlighted and cut it short and have loved it. Prior it was fairly long but always in a ponytail anyway. I think the simile here is just because we've always done something that seemed to work doesn't mean it bounds us to not try other things that may also work.

@jan110144 my mirror is nice to me but I'm not sure who the camera takes a pic of ;)
    @w8goal4life beautiful pics!
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Seeking input on eating back exercise calories as part of weight loss (not maintenance - yet!) - do you eat none, all or a percentage as part of successful weight loss?
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    Seeking input on eating back exercise calories as part of weight loss (not maintenance - yet!) - do you eat none, all or a percentage as part of successful weight loss?

I consistently ate back around 50% of my exercise calories. I also was conservative in logging exercise (e.g., choosing light or moderate vs more intense levels when I had the ootion) since many exercise calories are over-stated. For me, this was very effective; I lost 50 pounds in 6 months.
  • w8goal4life
    Options
    I agree with @jan110144. I've been in maintenance long enough now that I eat back most of my exercise calories. Always better to recognize the possibility that calories burned during exercise may be overstated.
  • hansep0012
    Options
    @jan110144 thank you, Jan, for your input on both the percentage and the caution on relying on the MFP exercise calorie calculations.

@w8goal4life your confirmation of Jan's post was reassuring, thank you!

Pam
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,327 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a small percentage of my exercise calories, but they can be a useful cushion if you need them. As the others said, the calories allowed tend to be very generous, so many people log the exercise but adjust the calories down.
  • hil331115
    hil331115 Posts: 189 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @hansep0012 i rarely eat back any exercise calories. I never rely on the MFP calories burned for exercises. I use a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate calories burned amount. Granted nothing is perfect.
  • hansep0012
    Options
    @terryrichardson1 thank you for your insight, it seems consistent with what others have done (or are currently doing). On a completely unrelated topic, every time I see your profile picture I smile because I think of family in Ireland, a marvelous feeling.

@hil331115 Yes, I use my Fitbit tracker as my first estimate for calorie burn and then figure out how to tweak MFP to register something close to the Fitbit. While it's not perfect, I have been recently eating back my exercise calories and my slow consistent weight loss came to a halt, did an about face, and I gained over the last week. Urgh. Back to not eating back those exercise calories!
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,688 Member
    Options
    I try not to pay attention to my exercise calories I try to stay focused just on my daily allotment
  • pribud
    pribud Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    @am_change, that haircut must have been worth a pound...lol....I too started going grey in my early years I was totally grey before I turned 40. I have never dyed it, just went with it...lol My hair use to be very long but I changed before I was totally grey and went to a short bob, I love it as it is so easy to manage.
    @w8goal4life & @hil331115 when the time is right you will know, until then don't let anyone else decide for you...hugs
  • pribud
    Options
    hansep0012 wrote: »

I use my exercise calories as a buffer knowing they are there is I need them, sometimes I use some I don't. Like @jan110144 I never use more than 1/2 of them though.

@KCJen it is good to set little goals and reward yourself when you reach them....way to go!
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    @pribud Thanks! Hitting smaller goals help fuel the fire to reach the bigger goals :)
  • cjane917
    cjane917 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support this month! Here is how August has looked :)
    38v73wcezrm7.png
  • pribud
    Options
    I wish there was a LOVE button, I absolutely love your pictures @w8goal4life, where do you live that you have such awesome trails to walk?
  • w8goal4life
    edited September 2019
    Options
    pribud wrote: »
    I wish there was a LOVE button, I absolutely love your pictures @w8goal4life, where do you live that you have such awesome trails to walk?

We live in western New York in the Finger Lakes region. There are a number of state parks around all of the lakes in upstate New York to enjoy. These pics were taken at Mendon Ponds Park. IT was great fun to photograph fairy houses...and watch the children search for their next fairy house on the trail. It was just a super great day to be outside!