Slower Weight loss at 50?

Options

Replies

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,156 Member
    Options
    Good morning.
    Thanks...I really love making stained glass creations.
    Wow, Ed, you must make delicious beans! So great that you have friends with pools and parties. ;)
    Val, I thought about the keto diet...went on something like that 30 years ago before it was a thing, but it was also very low calorie...I remember they even restricted carrots because it had too many carbs. It was totally unsustainable for me. I also have problems if I eat too much protein. It's great that it works so well for many people. My acupuncturist swears by it. So, wishing you the best...I think it's amazing that you lost 40 pounds so quickly.
    Jan, it is strange when we go back somewhere and it's totally different. Those carousel horses are very cool...what would you do with it if you had one?
    Hi Irene and Jo. Pirate...are you still here?
    It would be interesting if we all shared what kind of diet we are on. I think some of us stayed on NS, but others have wandered.
    I've been on anti-inflamatory diets for at least the last 3 years. I occasionally change some of the specifics, but they're basically all the same and pretty restrictive.
    Currently cloudy and 66 degrees, supposed to get sunny, up to 83. Never happened yesterday. Stayed cloudy and comfortably cool.
    Got our flu shots yesterday. Arm is sore. No special plans for today. Some housework, whatever....will see what the day brings.
    Happy Sunday, everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,120 Member
    Options
    good morning, Well we put the heater on in the pool we will be getting in it later probably for the last time this year hate to close it .Annie does seem to be doing good our new vet is really on top of it of course that is his specialty .Vix awesome work as usual .jo great work on the treadmill. vix we loved living there I remember it was like a half hour to get to Marysville .Val it sounds like quality time with Boudreaux, enjoy your walks. Jan you are right so many places aren't like they use to . Well Ed looks your beans were a hit again .Ed enjoy your nap. hi pirate
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Good morning;
    Vix- I love your stained glass. As for my diet, I am still somewhat following NS. I will be getting my last order at the end of the month. Hope your arm feels better soon.
    Irene-I am glad you like Annie's new vet and that he is on top of her care. Enjoy your last pool day.
    Ed-your beans must have been good, no leftovers.
    Hi Jan and Val.
    Yesterday I went apple picking with my daughter. We picked a half bushel. I plan on making apple sauce and eating the rest for my afternoon snack. We picked honey crisp apples.
    This morning we went out to breakfast and then to a flea market. I didn't buy anything.
    I went grocery shopping and am now going to do a little house work.
    Enjoy your day. :)
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Hello all!
    (That spoonful of beans would have been just right for me, Ed!) Wanted to lick that spoon!!
    I was on NS for a bit and lost. I really would just get hungry and start digging in to the snacks which calorie wise are a lot. I switched and just ordered what I wanted (no carb snacks ) and did better. I just can not seem to focus on my one day. I do best with at most only 1 carb a day and never more than 2. Church has really been very difficult as most things center around meals and are pretty high carb. I do well for a while, then backslide. Just keep taking off the same pounds and regaining. I have been watching my weight since I was about 16 or so and really need better commitment. Trying now to follow a more Weight Watchers type, carbs under 99 grams and one starchy a day if I must. At the moment I am doing really awful. Recommitment needed. I really need to change the pattern of my day.
    Glad you all are doing much better!!! :)
    Val, Cedar Point I think is still there. I had meant Euclid Beach! (neat old website!) But my sometimers kicked in!!
    Everyone's fall sounds nice. We still have temps to 100 a few more days and still no rain. Pretty bad when we all in Al. are praying for the hurricane to come this way as a Cat 1 or below... :*
    Be safe!! <3
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good morning;
    I walked 2 miles on the treadmill at the gym and used some of the machines. I came home and had breakfast (leftover veggie omelet from yesterday. I am now doing laundry(which never seems to end and there are only 2 of us). :#
    This is my last day off, it is back to work tomorrow. I am going to try and finish some of the yard work.
    Last night when I was watching TV, I heard a loud thump. I got up, looked out the windows and didn't see anything. Later I went upstairs and looked out the window and saw that a huge limb had fallen off the tree out back.
    Jan-I would be staying in the house most of the time if our temps were 100. It is supposed to be in the low 70's all week. I am really enjoying this weather.
    Have a great day! :)

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,655 Member
    Options
    Howdy. It's marvelous Monday! Back to hot as anything today, but we might get some relief on that again by mid-week. I MIGHT get out in it today, but probably not. So just the usual. Look to see if there are any more cords Orion chewed up. We found one last night that, fortunately, had NOT been plugged in, that he gad thoroughly chewed, almost all the way through. He would have had a shock if it had been plugged in. We think he did that while he was still teething, last year, and hope we won't find any more. As it was about an 8 inch section that was very thoroughly chewed, we hope that this wire was his only one. We can splice the wire and it will end up about 10 inches shorter than it was.

Also, check a couple of outside plants to see if they need water, scoop the litter boxes (daily chore there), feed the cats, sweep up some ever present cat hair, something that has become more apparent since adopting Orion last year. Our first cat, many years ago, was a long haired orange tabby. Then, for about 10 years, only short to medium hair cats (luck of the draw) and now this long haired black cat. I swear we could knit another cat from just a couple of week's worth of fur brushed off and/or lost by him!

Of course we adopt cats based on mutual attraction and a couple of other factors, but color, looks, and fur length are not factors at all. Orion is the tenth cat to be adopted into this family and we are happy to have him. I have loved them all and cried like a baby when we had to let them cross the rainbow bridge. The current four are all well loved and we give them the best care possible.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• eku0
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi all. Thanks for the comments on the stained glass...I really love doing it.
    Irene...so nice that you could still get in the pool! Glad Annie is doing better. And California was really nice back then.
    Jo, you always do such fun things! Honey crisp apples are wonderful. I know you'll enjoy them. I usually buy whatever apples I can find that are organic.
    Sorry about that big limb that broke off...glad you have good weather for your yard work...keeping you busy on your last day off!
    Jan, I think some of us have more long term issues with weight...I remember my first diet at age 11. I had a couple of periods in my life when I stopped watching, and blew up like a puff ball. So I need to remain vigilant. It's not easy.
    Ed, 4 cats is a lot, but wonderful that you rescue them, and love them.
    I went for a much needed massage this morning. Hubby is putting a ceiling fan in my study today, so I'm in the morning room with my laptop. Just starting to get used to the new phone. It's going to take a while. I have a PT appt this afternoon, and will try to do some painting maybe later.
    Wishing everyone a wonderful new week. :)
  • hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    Vix - if i blink, i blow up like a puff blall. 🤣

I am having a great Monday. Goodwill truck came to pick up multiple large items. Now i have space for my car in the garage again. Heading out shortly for another group hike with Boudreaux.

Hugs to all!
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning, I had a great day yesterday I got the yard mowed and now starting to get things put away from the summer . Sunday after we got done in the pool we took the ladder out and closed the pool . Tomorrow they start on the deck I am so looking forward to it . It is actually one guy doing it but his work is so nice. I did do 5.25 miles on the treadmill it felt good .Vix we have a couple ceiling fans I love them. Wow Ed 4 cats that's great. Jo enjoy your day back to work. Val I am sure you enjoyed your hike. Hi Jan and pirate
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning all.
    My husband got the fan in yesterday...that was the last one...we have 3 others he put in the first year we moved here.
    Val and Irene, sounds like you are getting a lot done! That's great.
    I have a full schedule today...stained glass, then clay group, then a 2:00 appt with the dietitian.
    Wishing everyone a happy Tuesday. :)

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy. It's terrific Tuesday! Need to do all the usual daily stuff, and get trash and recycles out to the curb for tomorrow's pick up, and give Lilo her Tuesday shot, and get out to buy cat food.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!
    I have an ultrasound of my thyroid today so limited on doing a few things. This appears to be Dr month. I may never catch up with my poor house! :)
    Irene, seems so funny you closing down for fall. It is dead summer and 99 degrees here...I just can not imagine! Funny thing is the South will close down too by date..not at all temperature, lol.... Ed watch the heat where you are!!
    Vix, sounds like a wonderful day!! Jo, hope you go back to work somewhat refreshed!! Vacations are nice to break that up!! Val, Glad you got out and had a great day!! And got rid of stuff!! Progress!!
    Have a wonderful Weds. all!! (by the time you read this! :# )
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    My workday today was slow but fine. For tonight’s hike, i took Duke and Boudreaux. I was hoping that a dog-buddy would help Boudreaux not be so nervous...and i was right. Zero barking or growtat strangers. But, Duke us a goofball, so 1/2 the hike was correcting Duke.
    Happy Wednesday to all. 💛
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning, Val your hike sounded fun . Getting both dogs out is impressive . Jan there will always be work to be done I don't think we can ever really get caught up.Vix you And Ed sure had a full day. Jo hope you getting have an over load of work yesterday. Today Joe is suppose to start on my deck today I called and got a friend to cover me for the hospital didn't want to leave Annie alone with work going on in the back she would of been barking and carrying on which would not be good for her. have a great Wednesday
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good morning
    3rd morning in a row that I have gone to the gym.
    Irene-Are you replacing an existing deck? Thankfully work was slow, so I am easing back into the routine.
    Jan-good luck with your ultrasound. I agree with Irene, house work is never done.
    Val-It was good that Duke was able to help Boudreaux. Is is hard handling both dogs while hiking?
    Vix-I love ceiling fans, I have one in the kitchen and in 3 of the bedrooms.
    Ed-bless you for adopting rescue cats. Good thing the cord wasn't plugged in. My Sophie licks
    the cords but hasn't chewed any.
    Time to get ready for work.
    Have a great day! :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy. It's wonderful Wednesday! The lawn crew is out there now, noisily doing their stuff. Smart of them to get out there early, before the heat sets in. They have been doing this for years, so I assume they know how to keep hydrated, take needed breaks, etc. They don't charge by the hour and I presume the guys aren't paid by the hour either so can take any breaks they need. With two to four of them out there, our yard does not take long.

I see that an empty box of corn flakes appeared on the counter overnight, so one item to add to the perpetual shopping list.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    So far it's a nice sunny day,64 going up to the mid 70s...pretty perfect weather. I need to run some errands today, clean out my clothes washer, and just finished doing some exercise.
    Happy Wednesday, everyone. :)
  • Pirates43
    Pirates43 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    eku0 wrote: »
    Pirate...are you still here?
    It would be interesting if we all shared what kind of diet we are on. I think some of us stayed on NS, but others have wandered.
    I've been on anti-inflamatory diets for at least the last 3 years. I occasionally change some of the specifics, but they're basically all the same and pretty restrictive.
    Currently cloudy and 66 degrees, supposed to get sunny, up to 83. Never happened yesterday. Stayed cloudy and comfortably cool.
    Got our flu shots yesterday. Arm is sore. No special plans for today. Some housework, whatever....will see what the day brings.
    Happy Sunday, everyone. :)

I am still here ... or I came back again, anyway!

My "plan" has been following a NS-type routine, though as time has passed, it has become more like a "random routine."

I have thought about everything, but have tried nothing [as far as commercial plans]. Just trying to keep the comfort foods out of my mouth, stay away from sugar and carbs [dang, I LOVE sugar and carbs!] and hoping to recapture some of that momentum that allowed me to slash the weight in 2011.

By the way ... Thinking a flu shot is in my future.
  • eku0
    Options
    Hi Pirate...I hear you. Haha...I think we all love sugar and carbs. I'm keeping away from the sugar too, but eating fruit and veggies as my main sources of carbs, at least for now. Also helps to try to keep away from processed food...but do what you can. Glad you popped in again. :smiley:
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Worked 8 am to 9 pm with a break to get my kid from school. Brain is fried.

Each of my dogs has areas of excellence and areas for improvement (just like ne). Boudreaux (60 pound, 1.5 yo greyhound) walks at a perfect heal, except when frightened...and that’s any person or dog.
    Duke (50 pound, 9 yo boxer-beagle) is super people friendly (that’s where he helped Boudreaux relax), but gets too excited on leash (pulls).
    So yesterday I initially looked like a fool —one dog pulling and the other cowering and crying. But after we got going, both were very good!
    Oscar (100 pound, 14 yo mastiff/lab) is my perfect pooch. Calm, obedient, super friendly and even-keeled. But health failing and he can barely even walk to the mailbox in front of our house.
    Spike (7 pound 14 yo chihuahua) is super friendly and great on leash...just too small for these 4-mile hikes in 100 degree weather.
    Lucy - (50 pound , 9 yo border collie) is smartest and best trained! Plus super sweet to women and children (scared of men). But can’t go hiking because I’m scared she’ll have another seizure from the excitement. I’m struggling with letting her enjoy her life vs me restricting her trying to prolong her life.