Book/Media Club

Options
NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
I think it is important that we always push ourselves to learn and grow (or shrink). I believe, for me, it has been one of the major differences in what I have done this time that has worked (so far) and what I did not do before. I have been educating myself.

In light of that I would like to see if anyone is interested. We will discuss books and other forms of media both written and visual (like youtube videos). We will discuss things that we should learn and things that we should recognize as problems.

I am currently listening to Atomic Habits by James Clear. If anyone is interested in reading it or picking up an audible copy I would love to have a group discussion. This book has really grabbed my attention because I have intuitively implemented some of the core concepts so I want to see if the author can provide more ideas to help me move further down a path I feel like I am already on.

Replies

• DogMom919
    DogMom919 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! I am definitely interested! I will get Atomic Habits, ASAP.....thank you for thinking of this!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    While reading or viewing I do think we should approach everything with at least some skepticism. Even with this book I am enjoying I am constantly asking how is what he is suggesting wrong or at least wrong for me? I think that helps me identify the parts that are right for me faster. I view it as a list of potential ideas not a recipe I want to blindly follow.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    This is not really the kind of book you can spoil so...

I am trying one thing from the book to see how easy it is to apply. I have identified a problem... when I do not make my bed each day with every night I sleep in it it gets more unmade. Eventually the state of the bed interferes with my ability to easily sleep and I am forced to tear it down and remake it.

Using "Habit Stacking" I am making my bed before I let the dog out of the crate. I have done it for 2 days we will see if I am still making my bed in 2 months.

• DogMom919
    Options
    I ordered “Atomic Habits” and should have it Weds. before 8:00....couldn’t bring myself to pay that much for the Kindle edition...smh. I am excited to begin discussing!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I used an audible credit on it so I am not aware of how much it cost... sorry.

I am listening to it while I drive and when I have some free moments at night so I am only a little over halfway through it currently.

• DogMom919
    Options
    No worries....I am always open to learn something new! Thank you for getting this started....hopefully, I will catch up by end of week.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    DogMom919 wrote: »
    No worries....I am always open to learn something new! Thank you for getting this started....hopefully, I will catch up by end of week.

You probably will. When the discussion begins I may have to go back and re-listen to a few portions anyway.

So far it seems mostly sensible and it is about making small sustainable changes so it fits our group philosophy pretty well. I also like that it is a book on generic habit changes not a book on weight loss or exercise specifically.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies I'm in, will figure out by what method to absorb the book (audio? Kindle? library? oh the choices!). Are you working towards a specific date to start the conversation?
  • NovusDies
    edited November 2019
    Options
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    @NovusDies I'm in, will figure out by what method to absorb the book (audio? Kindle? library? oh the choices!). Are you working towards a specific date to start the conversation?

Not really. It is not the kind of book that can be spoiled and within a few chapters you can be commenting on what you learned or what you think does not apply to you.

What seems right on starting?

• Satisfiedwithbetter
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I think it is important that we always push ourselves to learn and grow (or shrink).

A book discussion sounds interesting. Sounds like a good book from what you describe so far.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Not really. It is not the kind of book that can be spoiled and within a few chapters you can be commenting on what you learned or what you think does not apply to you.

@NovusDies Perhaps a chapter by chapter discussion? I like to have a completion or due date, maybe the thread could have chapter 1 go for a week (or other time frame) and then open a discussion on the next, and then the next?
  • NovusDies
    Options

@NovusDies Perhaps a chapter by chapter discussion? I like to have a completion or due date, maybe the thread could have chapter 1 go for a week (or other time frame) and then open a discussion on the next, and then the next?

Let me review the structure of the actual book because it may make more sense to discuss a small number of chapters at a time.

I have decided on two things so far to try and implement as habits and I am trying to decide on a third. Learning about it is one thing but trying to put some of it into practice should be more enlightening. I would encourage the people participating not to pick anything that affects a major portion of their life like work, weight loss, health, relationships, etc. if they also want to do some trial work.

My 2 so far:
    1) Make my bed each day
    2) Finally learn to play the Uke that has been in my closet for 2 years.

Both will improve or enrich my life but neither will have a negative impact if I fail.

I do want to apply the things I learn to other areas of my life but not until I figure out if or how the "formula" has to be altered to work for me as an individual. I have learned to frame everything in that light now. I am not learning someone's ideas on habits as much as learning how I work.
  • DogMom919
    Options
    I have received my book and started reading, I will await additional information on how the discussion will proceed...

In the meantime, I have identified 3 habits that I will begin to implement:
    1). Get dressed each day (i.e. not sleepwear)
    2). Put on shoes each day (i.e. not flip flops)
    3). Learn to meditate (utilize one of the Great Courses through Audible)

I know my first 2 goals are very basic, but I am starting where I am....I know that no one here will judge.....I appreciate all of you.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I think I will get this book, too....some days we just have to put one foot in front of the other one so we don’t get swept backward!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    DogMom919 wrote: »
    I have received my book and started reading, I will await additional information on how the discussion will proceed...

In the meantime, I have identified 3 habits that I will begin to implement:
    1). Get dressed each day (i.e. not sleepwear)
    2). Put on shoes each day (i.e. not flip flops)
    3). Learn to meditate (utilize one of the Great Courses through Audible)

I know my first 2 goals are very basic, but I am starting where I am....I know that no one here will judge.....I appreciate all of you.

If those first two habits make your life better then they are great. All three are exactly the kinds of things I think will make for good test cases.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    My results so far:

Bed made 5 days in a row. On 3 days it happened exactly when it was intended. On 2 days I forgot and went back to do it later. I guess I would view that as mixed results.

Uke practice has been 2 to 5 minutes per day for 3 days straight. I am enjoying this method because I am not allowing myself to try to jump into playing a song and being disappointed that I cannot do it well.
  • NovusDies
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I have reviewed the early chapter list and while some chapters may be discussed in groups chapter 1 is fairly foundational so it needs to be discussed by itself.

Chapter 1: The Surprising Power of Tiny Habits
    Starts: 11/18

Let's keep this one open for at least a week so anyone who wants to join in doesn't fall behind waiting for their book to arrive and get it read. After that we will move more quickly.
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    So what I got from Chapter 1 - Your actions(tiny habits of continuous small improvement) are what really matters. Learn to love and/or enjoy the process(system or group of actions), not the result(goal). Your actions create your results over time.

Quote “You do not rise to the level of your goals, you fall to the level of your systems.”
  • NovusDies
    Options
    So what I got from Chapter 1 - Your actions(tiny habits of continuous small improvement) are what really matters. Learn to love and/or enjoy the process(system or group of actions), not the result(goal). Your actions create your results over time.

Quote “You do not rise to the level of your goals, you fall to the level of your systems.”

You might have started a little early but you know we are not very formal here.

He says systems I have always referred to it in my weight loss as processes or my routine. I have said often I think of myself as process-driven not results-driven now. That is one of the reasons the book jumped out at me.

I just finished the book so I think I am going to listen to it again in segments as we discuss it. It was a lot of material to absorb so a second pass seems like a good idea. I will make sure I get chapter 1 done again before Monday.
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Options
    Yes, his terminology seems a bit different from ours, but the meanings seem similar. Not sure if nuances show up later that make a difference or not. Sounds like you got a jump on us all. I have read and listened to so many others, it seems many of the concepts are so similar.