TEAM: Gutbusters (December)

Options

Replies

• dmfaler
    dmfaler Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm Denise and I am new to the challenge and to the team. I am married and have a 23 year old son and a 21 year old daughter. I am an on and off again runner but have been sedentary for the past few months and have gained way too much weight. I started walk/running again yesterday. My goal for December is to run/walk 3 times a week, do strength training 2 days a week and to lose 8 pounds.

I had a last minute out of town trip so today was not a great day for me. Starting up tomorrow.

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? No
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? No
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? No
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @craig03154, truth! :smile:

Today we’re looking for weigh-ins from:

@audreypawdrey
    @BB_1033, you'll drop that and more this week, I betcha!! :smile:
    @coccolino30, great loss on your first week! Congrats! :star:
    @looneycatblue
    @TheeSunShine75

Please post using this template:
    Username
    December Week 1
    PW:
    CW:

• Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Exercised? Yes. Housework
    Calories? Yes
    Tracked? Yes
  • flourchild225
    flourchild225 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Betsy. I am an artist living in the Middle East. I live here with my husband and two boys. I've lost about 55 pounds so far and have another 7-10 to go.

This is my second month on the group. Stayed even in November and lookinf6 for a better result in December.
  • BB_1033
    BB_1033 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Anyone else adjust their calorie allowance on days they're more active then normal? I'm feeling like 1300 is nowhere enough for me on days I strength train lol
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    looneycatblue
    December 2, week 1
    PW 166.2
    CW 168.4

+ 2.2... WRONG direction! I will do better this week with staying accountable, too much fudging last week, and it shows!
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    BB_1033 wrote: »
    Anyone else adjust their calorie allowance on days they're more active then normal? I'm feeling like 1300 is nowhere enough for me on days I strength train lol

@BB_1033 are you eating back some of your exercise calories?
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options

@BB_1033. Summary: Most likely not, stick to your 1300.

Long post to follow:

This is a common question and there are at least 3 answers.
    1. If your goal is primarily weight loss, then no. [MOST TBL's will be THIS ONE]
    2. If your goal is both to increase strength while losing weight (ie. for competitive sport), then maybe.
    3. If your goal is just to get stronger (and not lose weight), then yes.

The body is used to dipping into reserves to do supplemental activity. This usage of reserves comes at a cost though. Reserves cannot be called on really quickly (slow burn {endurance}, not explosive power {strength}).

To lose weight you need to chip away at reserves by being in deficit. The more activity, the greater the deficit.

There is a tipping point, but as a < 200lbs female at a daily limit of 1300, you should be no where near it (danger limit is round 900 and maintaining that for weeks on end - would need much more data to calculate accurately, but it is 900 +/- 100).

Weight training takes a toll on the CNS (central nervous system) - more than the muscles. Normal training only a little, max weight A LOT. This is why competition lifters cycle weights. You may be able to lift your absolute maximum once in 2 months, but the cost is that it takes almost 2 months to recover. Muscles recover in a couple of days (unless substantially damaged).

When primarily losing weight, don't eat back extra activity. The longer recovery time and lower performance is symptomatic of using longer term reserves to fuel the body rather than what you just ate.

If competitive training (and weight not as crucial), then estimate the calorie burn and eat back about half. As you get to goal weight for your sport you adjust diet (intake) accordingly. This adjustment requires good tracking to get it spot on (I'm talking national/international level types of competition - ie. elite sports people).

if just doing strength (power lifting) and not trying to hit a weight category (off season), then eat back 100% of the estimated calorie burn. Sometimes more.

• shewhoismany
    shewhoismany Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Karen. I've been a team member for a few months. I have found the support and camaraderie of the Gutbusters (go team!) to be of incalculable assistance in my weight loss and fitness journey.

The past two months have been a struggle for me, maintaining everything while losing the support of cigarettes has been more of a strain than I anticipated. When the going gets tough, I snack instead of smoke. I haven't been gaining weight but I haven't been losing like I was before. The temptation to to go back to smoking is strong, at times. Especially when I am near a scale. Running was helpful for countering stress in the beginning but the weather has been so miserable lately...

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes.
  • dmfaler
    dmfaler Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @shewhoismany - Congrats on quitting smoking. That is a great accomplishment and so good for your lifetime health. Do you have access to an indoor track or a treadmill so that you can get some runs in?

@flowerchild225 - Congrats on the 55 pounds - that is awesome! The last few pounds are so tough - hang in there

@bb_1033 - You can do it - I totally agree on AM exercise. No excuses and it starts your day on the right foot. I try not to adjust my calories too much for exercise. If I do, I tend to overeat. I do add some calories but if I add them all back it doesn't work for me

@cocolino30 - Congrats on your loss this week!

Today was a really great day. I got up at 5am and went straight to the gym to run/walk and do strength. Then went back in the evening to walk the track for an hour with a friend

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes.
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Cleaning/organizing for 52 minutes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    Good morning! Today we’re looking for a weigh-in from:

@elisepfliger04
    @Kenyaa3
    @shalvy2007
    @SuzanneElizabeth16
    @tuddy315

Please post using this template:
    Username
    December Week 1
    PW:
    CW:
  • BB_1033
    BB_1033 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »

@BB_1033. Summary: Most likely not, stick to your 1300.

Long post to follow:

This is a common question and there are at least 3 answers.
    1. If your goal is primarily weight loss, then no. [MOST TBL's will be THIS ONE]
    2. If your goal is both to increase strength while losing weight (ie. for competitive sport), then maybe.
    3. If your goal is just to get stronger (and not lose weight), then yes.

The body is used to dipping into reserves to do supplemental activity. This usage of reserves comes at a cost though. Reserves cannot be called on really quickly (slow burn {endurance}, not explosive power {strength}).

To lose weight you need to chip away at reserves by being in deficit. The more activity, the greater the deficit.

There is a tipping point, but as a < 200lbs female at a daily limit of 1300, you should be no where near it (danger limit is round 900 and maintaining that for weeks on end - would need much more data to calculate accurately, but it is 900 +/- 100).

Weight training takes a toll on the CNS (central nervous system) - more than the muscles. Normal training only a little, max weight A LOT. This is why competition lifters cycle weights. You may be able to lift your absolute maximum once in 2 months, but the cost is that it takes almost 2 months to recover. Muscles recover in a couple of days (unless substantially damaged).

When primarily losing weight, don't eat back extra activity. The longer recovery time and lower performance is symptomatic of using longer term reserves to fuel the body rather than what you just ate.

If competitive training (and weight not as crucial), then estimate the calorie burn and eat back about half. As you get to goal weight for your sport you adjust diet (intake) accordingly. This adjustment requires good tracking to get it spot on (I'm talking national/international level types of competition - ie. elite sports people).

if just doing strength (power lifting) and not trying to hit a weight category (off season), then eat back 100% of the estimated calorie burn. Sometimes more.

Thank you 😊 and really it's just building muscle while loosing that's my goal. I think I more or less do what someone else said the other week and try and stay between 1300-1500. I tend to over do it if I keep it at 1300 or less. That last whoosh I had was from eating more then I had previously been eating when I stalled. Today will a light day for sure tho bc it's an easy day the way these abs are feeling haha.
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Exercised? Yes. Walking
    Calories? Yes
    Tracked? Yes
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    December 3:
    Exercised?: Yes (5 km in 40 mins - hills)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Eventful day. Accompanied wife and daughter furniture shopping. It's tiring keeping a mentally ill 16yo from having a meltdown or spacing out in an over-stimulating environment.

Definitely needed the walk today.

Also I weigh daily and had a small woosh on the scale reading. Hopefully it stays for tomorrows weigh in. :) . I had been diligently following the plan I set for myself and the scale had not been moving, then it decided to move all at once.

Weight does bounce around a lot. I focus more on the 7 day average instead of each individual day. This way I can reliably track a trend instead of being concerned on any individual reading.

I will be happy to make 2% loss over the entire 5 week month as I am already near a BMI of 22. I want to get to near 20.5 in 2 to 3 months. Any lower than 20.5 for my body type is starting to get dangerous.
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,338 Member
    Options
    tuddy315
    December week 1
    PW: 205.2
    CW: 208.0

Shows me what my lack of logging, weighing and measuring will do. This kitchen remodel is too stressful.
This discussion has been closed.