TEAM: Gutbusters (December)

Options
AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215.

Replies

• BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    t1803bmzqvq5.jpg

My name is Bonnie and I am the captain of this fabulous team of people. This is my 13th month with Gutbusters. I joined the day after I joined MFP! Our co-captain is @looneycatblue and I thank her for helping to keep Gutbusters the great team it is! :heart:

Please post an introduction so we can all get to know each other. You might want to include what your goal for December is. My goal is to lose another 9 pounds to reach my goal of 50 pounds lost in 2019.

Your weigh-in day is the day of the week you signed up to be in the challenge. We'll post a reminder each day. Be sure to click on the star above to bookmark this page for December.

Your weekly weigh-in post should look like this:

Username
    December Week #
    PW:
    CW:

A successful month will also include checking in daily on our team's thread. You are invited to post daily following the guidelines of another challenge called UAC (Ultimate Accountability Challenge). Very simple, but effective, in keeping us focused on our health goals. Please feel free to join that monthly challenge as well. @RangerRickL does a fantastic job there. I don’t think I’d be as far along on my journey if it wasn’t for TBL and UAC. If you’d like to participate in those guidelines, post this daily with the results.

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Along with our daily check-ins, we will also have mini-challenges weekly.

Please take a moment to introduce yourself to our team! Feel free to share as much as you are comfortable. This is going to be a great month for us!! :heart:

Blessings,
    Bonnie

• Keepingtrack1234
    Keepingtrack1234 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    My name is Megan; I am a teacher, wife and mom in the midwest I have maintained a 50+ pound loss for about 20 years now! It's gotten easier, but never easy. I have been on the team for several months. It is so inspiring to read each day's entries. Everyone is kind, honest and open about their successes and struggles. This group is a humbling, human experience--so much more than weight loss! It's about people coming together to support one another, no judgements. I am proud of each person and every success they have, whether it's a loss or a NSV or just a good choice. It's opened my eyes and helped me continue to grow in my quest to have a healthy relationship with food, my body and exercise. Cheers!
    My goal this month is to stay under 140 and avoid work treats. :)
  • kiadams317750
    kiadams317750 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Kiadams317750
    BonnieHosk85
    Hi I don’t know what I did but I lost my bookmark and thread to our November page. Can you help me😱
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Short message of introduction.

I'm Craig. I'm a 51yo father to a beautiful daughter and husband to an amazing wife. I've been away from the MFP forums for a number of months due to personal, work and family issues. I found I needed to return as I missed the people and the focus that it gives me in managing my weight, fitness and moods.

Returning as a competitor and will do my best to help the team and assist Bonnie ( @BonnieHosk85 ) and Teresa ( @looneycatblue ) as much as possible.

So happy to see this competition still going strong with Ashley ( @AB0215 ) moderating.
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    Glad you're back, Craig. Looking forward to seeing your posts again! :heart:
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Janice. A mother of 3, grandmother of 3 with another on the way. I need to be accountable to keep some control of my weight. I tend to lose and gain. I'm down about 8-9 kgs. I am aiming for another 8 or 9 to be in the healthy weight range. December will not be the easiest month with all the festivities but would be worse if I wasn't in this group. So thanks to Bonnie and the others for enabling us to have this resource.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Just had some thoughts that I wanted to post for all the Gutbusters this month.

First though:

We all measure weight, but how many measure size?

Weight fluctuates. Daily. Water from drinking and eating accumulates, is used for many purposes, then expelled through exhalation, perspiration and urination. There is up to 3 lbs water weight change per day.

Size changes slowly but is more consistent. Chest/Bust - Waist - Hips - Wrist, etc.. Size better shows the change in the body's fat reserves.

Even though this challenge is base around % weight reduction, size reduction is a better indicator of longer-term change (which should be ultimate goal).

A lot of techniques to weigh in lighter focus on dehydration (expelling excess water, fighting water retention). This does not help long term weight management.

Second thought:

How do you lose fat/size? Two things that have been shown to work consistently.
    1) Eat less calories than you burn.
    2) Do activity every day that makes you breathe more than a sedentary lifestyle (walking, jogging, swimming, cycling, shovelling snow, house cleaning, dog walking, etc...)

Everyone uses calories to live. Even when doing nothing but lying in bed. Our brain burns a lot of calories on it's own. The real trick is knowing how many calories you use in a day.

Food labelling helps you estimate how much you are consuming, but estimating how much you are using takes much more effort. (I'll post techniques later this month to help with this).

The reason for activity that makes you breathe is because fat, then being consumed by the body (making energy), produces water and carbon dioxide. Effectively you breath out fat you are burning. Activity helps you breathe more.

Every 1 lb of fat when consumed produces around 3500 calories of energy. When most peoples daily calorie intake is between 1500 and 2000 calories. Effectively 2 days of eating NOTHING will at best remove 1 lb. (NOT RECOMMENDED UNLESS UNDER MEDICAL ADVICE/SUPERVISION).

The recommendation is to be in a calorie deficit (consume less than what you use) averaging 500 calories per day to make 1 lb per week of weight loss. But this relies on knowing what you get from what you consume and what you use.

Best of luck for this month. December is a tough month being the festive season. Enjoy the season, meet with friends and family, but plan consumption.
  • flourchild225
    flourchild225 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Our registration automatically rolls over right?
  • craigo3154
    Options
    Our registration automatically rolls over right?

Correct. Registration automatically rolls over unless you ask not to.

Your week 4 weight from November becomes your starting weight for December.
  • MrsRosie111
    MrsRosie111 Posts: 11 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Hello guys first time doing a challenge !

Name is rosie , 35 years old , mother of 3 , trying to go from obese to beast !

Username: MrsRosie111
    Weigh in day: Sunday
    Previous Week's weight: 167.8
    Todays Weight: 164
  • craigo3154
    Options
    I will try to report in daily here, like I do on UAC.

I also weigh daily, but will only report it on my weigh in day.

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes (20 mins bodyweight exercise since unable to walk due to rain)
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Well under today budget today.

Trying to turn things around from the stressful previous 6+ months. Although currently BMI of 21.7, looking to get back to 20.7 and regain some of my fitness.
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    Happy Sunday! Welcome to the first week for December, Gutbusters!

For those of you who are new to the group, here are some weigh-in FAQs:

• When do I post my weigh-in?
    Post on your "scheduled weigh-in day". So, if you posted a weight in the New Member Registration thread on a Tuesday, then your scheduled weigh-in day will be each Tuesday of the month. Let me know if you have a question.
    • Why is Week 1 beginning on Sunday? Haven't we been already posted our starting weights?
    Think of it as a first birthday. You're born, then you must live a whole year before you can celebrate being 1. In this challenge, you post a starting weight, then you have a whole week to work on weight loss before you post your Week 1 weigh-in.
    • How do I post my weigh-in?
    Your posts should look like this:
    Username:
    Week: Week 1
    PW: Previous Weight in pounds
    CW: Current Weight in pounds

• What's my previous weight?
    If you're new, your Week 1 previous weight is whatever weight you posted in the New Member Registration thread or check out the current spreadsheet to see what your posted info says. If you're returning, your Week 1 previous weight is whatever your weight was in the last week of the previous month.
    • Team Dynamics!
    A successful month will also include checking in each day with our team. Strive to become acquainted with everyone on the team and encourage each other in the successes and failures we will all experience. Our members are invited to post daily following the guidelines of another challenge called UAC (Ultimate Accountability Challenge). Very simple, but effective, in keeping us focused on our health goals. Please feel free to join that monthly challenge as well. @RangerRickL does a fantastic job there of keeping us motivated daily. I don’t think I’d be as far along on my journey if it wasn’t for TBL and UAC. If you’d like to participate in those guidelines, post this daily with the results.
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?
    Along with our daily check-ins, we will also have mini-challenges weekly. Everyone is invited to contribute to ideas for our weekly challenges.
    • I'm still confused. Who can help me?
    Just ask a question here and tag me (@BonnieHosk85). If you miss your weigh-in, I will message you to remind you. Because I care. If you need to drop out for the month, we’ll hate to see you go but just let us know. Feel free to private message us if you need to.

• BonnieHosk85
    Options
    Today we’re looking for weigh-ins from:

@crystalbarton31
    @MrsRosie111 - a big welcome to the team! So glad to have you here. Great first weigh-in!! :star:

Please post using this template:
    Username
    December Week 1
    PW:
    CW:
  • MrsRosie111
    MrsRosie111 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you Bonnie so happy to be here
  • glouis4
    glouis4 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Hi All,

My name is Gage, and this is my second month with this group.

It was such a pleasure being part of such a positive, motivating, and organized group last month so I am excited to return. Last month I think my key success factor was mindfulness. Being mindful of what I’m working towards forced me to reflect and find/prevent things that work against me.

This month aside from the numeric goal, I want to have a consistent rotating weight training routine. I noticed last month I noticed lifting made me feel both physically and mentally stronger.

There are other goals I want to set, but I think I’ll wait until January. Until then, let’s crush December!
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options

@glouis4, so glad you're part of our fit family here! A great goal for December. :smile:

New and Returning Members,

If you haven't posted your intro on this thread, please do so. I want to encourage each of you to post on the thread daily through December. I realize not all days will be possible, but I truly believe this will help us to stay focused on our goals and actually have a successful fitness month during the hardest time of the year. FYI ... last December (2018) was my first month with Gutbusters and I lost 8 pounds. Not saying that to brag at all, but to show you it is possible if we work at it. This month I want to lose 10 pounds to meet my 2019 goal of losing 50 pounds. We can do this!! Are you with me?

Welcome to our two newest members: @dmfaler and @coccolino30! Please post your intro so we can get to know you.

The Week 4 and Month Finale have been posted in November's thread. Ashley will be closing the thread tomorrow so if you have any comments, please post them here in December's thread.

Here's the thread to see the results and winners!!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10770045/team-gutbusters-november#latest

Blessings,
    Bonnie
    Privileged and Honored to be your Captain :heart:
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Walked Ollie-15 minutes; cleaned/organized after kids left-15 minutes; recumbent bike-10 minutes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

We had a lovely Thanksgiving holiday with our children and their pups. Our first time meeting Sadie, their newly adopted Brittany. She is beautiful and such a great dog. We had five humans and three pups in the house all weekend so I was in my glory! It's sad to see them head home but the Christmas holiday will be here before we know it and to be honest, the quiet in the house now is nice. Our pup, Ollie, is glad to be the only dog in the house again. LOL! My profile pic is us trying to get a photo with the kids and the dogs. Quite comical!
  • shalvy2007
    shalvy2007 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm Sara been with this challenge for the last few months now. Live in the PNW with my husband daughter and cat, our daughter just made a select volleyball team so life will start getting crazier with our schedules. At least our Christmas shopping is almost completely done! 😁

Did I exercise for 20min: yes 30 min slow jog on treadmill, an workout
    Did I stay within my calorie budget: yes
    Did I track everything I ate/drank: yes
  • allietuge
    allietuge Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm Allison and I've been on the team for a few months. I'm a Mommy of a 3 year old girl and an almost 11 month old boy. I try my best to get to the gym and get something in. I hope to stay in control during the holidays.

Welcome back previous members and welcome new members!!!

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes - 38 minutes of zumba

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? No

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? No

Not the best day.
This discussion has been closed.