• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    BB_1033 wrote: »
    BB_1033
    December Week 2
    PW 174
    CW 165

😳😳😳 I triple checked. Water weight gone possibly? I certainly don't feel that much smaller or see it. I'm a bit concerned with a huge drop like that. Think it may be time to get checked for diabetes again. I was diligent about my calories this past week and did exercise and/or stay busy so I don't know. I'm sure its gonna go up some in a week or two...hormones haha

@BB_1033 Take the wins where you can. This is known as as a whoosh, From experience, all big changes like this are water.

When being diligent with calories and exercise, the body stores water till working out it does not need that large a reserve, then gets rid of it all at once.

As you reduce in weight, you are LESS likely to get type 2 diabetes. Type 2 is insulin resistance and usually makes you put on weight as persistent high blood sugar and high insulin combines into fat for storage. Main culprit for type 2 diabetes is a diet with a consistent intake of high processed carbohydrates (lots of small snacks and meals high in carbs, but low in fiber). This type of diet seldom lets the insulin level fall to the point that glucagon is required. In this case, the body’s cells develop insulin resistance through persistent exposure. (Like a person with a pale complexion tanning due to persistent sun exposure).
  • glouis4
    glouis4 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Just checking in. I’m working really hard this week to make you guys proud. Fingers crossed for Wednesday.

Hope everyone is having a good month.
  • BB_1033
    BB_1033 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Exercise? 23 mins of pilates and 46 mins gentle yoga (its definitely worth it anxiety wise, I'm noticing a change)

Tracked? Yes

Calories? Yes. I could have 2nds of dinner or a before bed snack and still be good. But I won't bc I'm stuffed already haha. Focused on protein today.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @looneycatblue and @audreypawdrey - way to go!! :star::star:
  • BB_1033
    BB_1033 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    BB_1033
    December Week 2
    PW 174
    CW 165

😳😳😳 I triple checked. Water weight gone possibly? I certainly don't feel that much smaller or see it. I'm a bit concerned with a huge drop like that. Think it may be time to get checked for diabetes again. I was diligent about my calories this past week and did exercise and/or stay busy so I don't know. I'm sure its gonna go up some in a week or two...hormones haha

@BB_1033 Take the wins where you can. This is known as as a whoosh, From experience, all big changes like this are water.

When being diligent with calories and exercise, the body stores water till working out it does not need that large a reserve, then gets rid of it all at once.

As you reduce in weight, you are LESS likely to get type 2 diabetes. Type 2 is insulin resistance and usually makes you put on weight as persistent high blood sugar and high insulin combines into fat for storage. Main culprit for type 2 diabetes is a diet with a consistent intake of high processed carbohydrates (lots of small snacks and meals high in carbs, but low in fiber). This type of diet seldom lets the insulin level fall to the point that glucagon is required. In this case, the body’s cells develop insulin resistance through persistent exposure. (Like a person with a pale complexion tanning due to persistent sun exposure).

Well I only say I wonder bc from personal experience, sudden unintenional weight loss can be a sign of type 2 diabetes for some, as it was for everyone I know was diagnosed. And I'm at risk for it bc I had gestational diabetes despite my diet and healthy eating habits.
  • shewhoismany
    shewhoismany Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • allietuge
    allietuge Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes. Elliptical for 30 minutes and weights for 20 minutes

• craigo3154
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »

Well I only say I wonder bc from personal experience, sudden unintenional weight loss can be a sign of type 2 diabetes for some, as it was for everyone I know was diagnosed. And I'm at risk for it bc I had gestational diabetes despite my diet and healthy eating habits.

@BB_1033. If you are at all concerned, get fully checked out.

There can be a number of reasons for a large weight loss.

Diabetes is a research area of mine as my wife has type 2 and is slowing reducing her reliance on medication. I have done A LOT of research into this area.

Gestational diabetes does increase the risk of developing type 2 diabetes (it also is a significant factor contributing to increased birth weight of babies).

Usual symptoms of Type 2 is:
    • Being excessively thirsty
    • Passing more urine
    • Feeling tired and lethargic
    • Always feeling hungry
    • Having cuts that heal slowly
    • Itching, skin infections
    • Blurred vision
    • Gradually putting on weight
    • Mood swings
    • Headaches
    • Feeling dizzy
    • Leg cramps.
    ( Ref: https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/type-2-diabetes )

Type 1 has weight loss as body is actively fighting insulin and passing unabsorbed blood sugar through the kidneys. Diabetes mellitus (Latin for siphon sweet) used to be a death sentence and the afflicted would effectively waste away. 1922 was the first time artificial insulin became available so that those with type 1 could live a more normal life.

Type 2 is a modern epidemic.
    n6bsfjc10kqw.jpg
    ( ref: https://cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/slides/long_term_trends.pdf )

This is US data. The main upswing in this data seems consistent with the low-fat diet recommendation (1977 - nett effect was remove fat and add sugar to make palatable), supporting recommendations (eg. USDA food pyramid 1992 - I call the fat pyramid) and consumption of foods containing processed carbohydrates.

You CAN get type type 2 diabetes without being overweight. However, this is uncommon.

Type 2 diabetes is more common in lower socio-economic communities. This tends to correlate with processed carbohydrate food being cheaper as it is easier to transport, has a long shelf life (less wastage) and large government subsidies for production.

Type 2 diabetes also seems to be on the rise in Asian countries as they start to adopt a more westernised diet.

Seems to be for type 2 diabetes, the WORST thing you can do is have lots of small carbohydrate meals/snacks. This keeps the insulin requirement for the body high, thus re-enforcing the insulin resistance.

However, if a type 2 on medication does drastically cut down on carbohydrates (eg. Keto type diet), care must be taken not to let blood sugar fall too low (hypoglycemic event). High blood sugar will kill you slowly, but low blood sugar can kill you quickly (within hours). Most type 2 diabetics are on medication to try reduce blood sugar (insulin, metformin, etc...). Combine this with low carb diet and this increases the chances of a hypo event. A diabetic, whether partaking of a low carb diet or not, should be very familiar with the early warning signs of a hypo event and know what to do.
  • Kenyaa3
    Kenyaa3 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, 15 minute walk, 90 minute Praise dance

• Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    December 10
    Exercised? Yes Vacuuming, mopping cleaning
    Calories? Yes
    Tracked? Yes
  • craigo3154
    Options
    December 10
    Exercised?: Yes (5 km in 40 mins - hills)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Not as tired today and made the sub 40min for the 5km easily. Cooler temperatures helped too. Walked after dinner.

Mentally was another bad day for me. Hard to keep focus on what I was doing. Really struggling with starting things to get my motivation going. (activity comes before motivation, then followed by more activity). Maybe I need to start walking in the morning instead of the evening.
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    Good morning! Today we’re looking for a weigh-in from:

@elisepfliger04 - are you still with us? :heart:
    @Kenyaa3
    @shalvy2007
    @SuzanneElizabeth16
    @tuddy315

Please post using this template:
    Username
    December Week 2
    PW:
    CW:
  • Kenyaa3
    Kenyaa3 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    @Kenyaa3
    December Week 2
    PW: 255
    CW:252.2

• BonnieHosk85
    Options
    Nice work, @Kenyaa3!! :star:
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,313 Member
    Options
    tuddy315
    December Week 2
    PW: 208.0
    CW: 205.8
  • dmfaler
    dmfaler Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Congrats @Kenyaa3 and @tuddy315 on your losses! Great job!
  • shalvy2007
    shalvy2007 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Shalvy2007
    December week 2
    PW: 145
    CW: 143.2
  • shalvy2007
    shalvy2007 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sorry forgot to post for December 9, my in laws came over and threw off my evening routine, I was able to get on the treadmill prior to them stopping by:

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, 30 min treadmill jog, 15 ab workout

This discussion has been closed.