~The Fireplace~

Replies

• bdbchick
    bdbchick Posts: 2,434 Member
    Hello all! I made it to Orlando safely! For anyone who has a samsung galaxy s10 am I doing something wrong with posting pics? I tap the button to open my gallery but I haven't been able to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts?
  • bdbchick
    Finally figured it out!
  • Moarrein
    Moarrein Posts: 3,078 Member
    @SarahAnaruk, sorry for not answering earlier. Here comes my language barrier again. I have no idea how to translate the lamb thing, we call "cheverme". Maybe the closest explanation is a whole lamb prepared on barbecue?
    y1r8ehcur2t3.jpg
    And the rice with liver we call "Drob Sarma". Here's recipe for it:
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/bulgarian-drob-sarma-recipe-1135767

Fellow snakes I need some help. I want to make a Christmas present for hubby. I've decided to write on a cup for him that he can use at work. He's working for an American company so I wanted the inscription to be in English, but as you know I'm not a native speaker. And I'd like it to sound correct. So here's what I've come up with so far:

"This cup (or mug) belongs to Iliyan Petkov. It has a special spell on it, that will bring misfortune to anyone else, who uses it without permission, and luck to the one that decides to wash it."

Any suggestions?
  • SarahAnaruk
    SarahAnaruk Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited December 2019
    @Moarrein No worries! :) It's a busy season!! Thanks KS for the info and recipe!! I will definitely check it out!

Adorable idea for the mug!! Where I am from (Minnesota, USA) mug means for a hot beverage, like a coffee mug. Cup means more like what would be used for cold beverages, like a water bottle. Everything else sounds good. :) But if you wanted to go with something shorter my suggestion would be this:
    "This magical (or enchanted) mug (or cup) belongs to Iliyan Petkov. Misfortune will befall those who use it without permission and luck to those who decide to wash it."
    Just a suggestion, your original is perfectly good as well. :)
  • bdbchick
    Day 2! Does anyone have fun plans for this weekend?
  • rbratt06
    rbratt06 Posts: 2,890 Member
    bdbchick wrote: »
    Day 2! Does anyone have fun plans for this weekend?

I'm headed to Idaho to visit family for the holidays!
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,128 Member
    edited December 2019
    @bdchick, it looks like you are having enough fun for all of us.
    I did enjoy making some holiday treats today, and catching up with a friend. Having to wrap up a school semester, as a teacher, sort of subtracts from a lot of holly jolly, until break!!! :p
  • Dawnshealth111
    Dawnshealth111 Posts: 884 Member
    We had a wonderful day yesterday. I was going to cancel the plans because I had someone call in sick but I managed to find a caregiver to cover it. I took some residents to a historical park for tours of the houses decorated for the holidays in the style of their time. We rode in a tractor pulled tram with a wheelchair lift. We saw houses from 1830, 1860 and 1890. We stayed for over 2 1/2 hoursMy parents are visiting from California and came to help me along with my son.

It was extra special because one of the couples was celebrating their 63rd anniversary. The wife was so excited to have an outing that day. The husband went because she wanted him to go but he really enjoyed himself and was glad he joined us. The weather was perfect (in the 70s). They said that the weather wasn't so nice the day they got married. It was in the 30s that day so they were surprised when they got outside and didn't even need sweaters. I took a few pictures of them by a huge oak tree and sent them to their families and put them on facebook.
  • SarahAnaruk
    @bdbchick looks like you're having fun! :)

It's been a bit of fun and a bit not so much here this weekend. On the fun side we did our Christmas Family Movie Night on Friday which everyone thoroughly enjoyed, decorated our gingerbread house, got the presents all purchased and wrapped, and today we are baking the Christmas cookies. So lots of fun there! On the downside my little guy (will be 3 in January) has been sick for awhile and it got a bit worse this weekend so we took him in and he got some antibiotics on Friday but still not really improving as I'd like to see. And now a few of the other kids are starting to cough, but being older I hope they won't get it so bad. So some good, some bad.
  • SarahAnaruk
    @rbratt06 That sounds like a lot of fun!! Do you drive or fly in?

@Dootzy1 How long of a holiday do you get as a teacher? Do you still have to put time in or do you get it off off?

@Dawnshealth111 That would be so neat to see all those houses decorated in their time period!! What fun!! I love stuff like that!! And that is so sweet that that couple got out for their anniversary! I worked in a nursing home for years, hearing about how things used to be, or just their own memories was always my favorite part!
    One sweet memory I have is that I used to go visit our elderly neighbor in an apartment a floor above us when I was in my early teens and we'd play board games and she'd tell me her memories, stories of life. Many years later she was in the nursing home I worked at, in the memory Care unit, and I got to tell her all the stories she'd told me years ago that she had forgotten. It was so wonderful to be able to do that for her.
    I'm so glad you were still able to take the outing, those things are just so wonderful.
  • rbratt06
    rbratt06 Posts: 2,890 Member
    @SarahAnaruk - We flew part way, then drove the rest of the way. Smooth flight, clear roads. It was perfect for traveling.
  • SarahAnaruk
    rbratt06 wrote: »
    @SarahAnaruk - We flew part way, then drove the rest of the way. Smooth flight, clear roads. It was perfect for traveling.

That's some nice traveling!! Clear roads can really be a blessing in the north this time of year. We've been getting blasted with snow here and the plows have had a hard time keeping up. Makes for some icky holiday travel. Thankfully we don't have too far to go this year. Glad it was smooth sailing for you!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    starjam25 wrote: »
    Sorry I haven't been around much, real life has been pretty busy lately. Because of that, I'm going to be taking a couple terms away from Hogwarts, I just don't have enough brain cells to do it all!!

If anyone is interested in being a prefect, contact me or @bdbchick. It's pretty easy and @bdbchick is great to have as a partner, so if you can, time to give back to Hogwarts!

Noooooooo! Don't go!

2626xsdo7tbp.png

• Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,128 Member
    @starjam25 You have been generous to be involved in this, so you do what you have to do!! Part of managing our stressors is to know when to say "enough", right?

@SarahAnaruk We get two weeks, starts after 1:30 on Dec. 20, so time is a little rushed leading up to Christmas Eve, I'm quite behind on presents, baking, and cleaning...
    I will have to spend a part of a couple of days doing school work, for some reason our grades are due on the 27th. :| I should also go up to school and organize better, as I have a student teacher next semester, and she starts back on teacher meetings with us on Jan. 6th.

• Moarrein
    Moarrein Posts: 3,078 Member
    edited December 2019
    I just applied for Term 28. I hope to be back in Slytherin.

I have a problem with sugar. Whenever I eat sweet I just can't stop. I try to limit myself by not buying any but hubby and son want to have something for dessert. So currently in my kitchen cupboard I have 2 chocolates, a box of Oreos and a package of gummy candies. And I have a goal for 4 days no added sugar for the Finals. Right now I'm considering to buy a small home cupboard safe, where hubby can keep all the sweets away from me :D Isn't that a crazy idea?
  • SarahAnaruk
    @Dootzy1 That really isn't very long off!! I hope you get some time to rest and relax for the holiday!

@Moarrein not crazy at all! Lol. Sweets are my down fall too. I should get a cupboard safe too!!
  • SarahAnaruk
    So, what do you normally eat for Christmas dinner!? I'm making my menu and am stumped about what to make. In the past we ate wild rice soup and homemade bread every year but the family decided they were sick of it a few years ago. Online suggests turkey with stuffing and mashed potatoes and all that, but I just made that for Thanksgiving! I don't really want a repeat. Lol. So, what do you have at your family gatherings?
  • bdbchick
    We normally do surf and turf for Christmas. This year my aunt and uncle who live across the street from us (literally) are doing a crap boil. I'm really looking forward to it! We like to stray from the norm too.