~The Fireplace~

Options

Replies

• SarahAnaruk
    SarahAnaruk Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    rbratt06 wrote: »
    Off to a strong start. Walked two miles in Christmas colors, answered DADA correctly, drank 8 cups of water, and stayed under my calories today. Hopefully I'll be able to keep the momentum up!

Awesome start!! 💪 You got this!!
  • bdbchick
    bdbchick Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    Who has their Christmas tree up already?
  • rbratt06
    rbratt06 Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a traditionalist and don't put my tree up until after Thanksgiving, but my 5-year-old insisted we put our little tree up early this year. Equipped with golden snitches, of course.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    I wait until December to put my tree up, but I get nervous if I don't have it up by "double digits in December"- haha! I have an artificial tree, and it stays up until late January. I find that it gives me joy through more of the winter that way!!! (You know those cold dreary days, that sort of drag you down? Have done that for over 30 years!!)
  • bdbchick
    Options
    I'm usually a traditionalist and don't put my tree up until after Thanksgiving, but my 5-year-old insisted we put our little tree up early this year. Equipped with golden snitches, of course.

It's so pretty! I normally put mine up after Thanksgiving too.
  • chdspdmom
    chdspdmom Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    We put ours up on the first week of December. For 16 years (since the birth of oldest) we have the tradition to get one ornament each to resemble that year and if family or friends are joining in they also contribute an ornament plus the story :wink: Its like going back in time when we decorate as every ornament goes up and they are each filled with amazing memories!
  • SarahAnaruk
    Options
    My husband and oldest both have birthdays the first week in December so we wait until those are done and decorate, usually the weekend after. But my winter decorations go up December 1st! All the snowmen and such.

@chdspdmom I love that with the ornaments!! I have my kids make an ornament every year and they each have a box that it goes in so when they have their own trees someday they will have one for every year. They also make one together for our tree. I love those traditions!
  • llpumpkinsll
    llpumpkinsll Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hello! I guess I’ll do a brief introduction. I’m Samantha. I live in New Mexico, USA, and am currently a full time student! I have a 7 year old collie mix (Lucille, female) and a 3 year old yellow lab (Charlie, female). This is my 4th term at Hogwarts and my first Holiday term! I have been in the other three houses in my past terms, and now I am here in my real life house! I love many fandoms, but my favorites would have to be HP and ASOIF/GOT simply because of the world building and character development. My long term ideal would be to lose 25 lbs, and this term I would like to lose 5 lbs! I would also love to build up my strength and cardiovascular endurance, as well as improve my overall consistency with my health. I am so excited to share interests and reach new goals with this wonderful community!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    bdbchick wrote: »

On my nightly dog walks, I've been seeing dozens of Christmas trees up in peoples' living rooms since early October. And right after Halloween the outdoor lights started going up all over the place. People have been having fires in their fireplaces on the weekends now, too, smoking up the neighborhood when it's still 80+ degrees outside. (I have asthma so I notice.) That can't be comfortable to heat up your house when it's already warm, but I guess it's all about the ambience? Makes me wonder if they are simultaneously running the air conditioning to keep their house cool while the fire burns. Christmas just seems to steamroll right over the entire fall/winter season these days. That sounds so bah, humbug, but I'm not really a Grinch! I promise! o:)

I personally don't do any decorating for Christmas until after Thanksgiving. If I get over-exposed to Christmas too soon, I tend to get a little sick of it by the time it actually rolls around. I usually dislike seeing all the Christmas displays up in stores starting in September. But...I am feeling a little more festive this year for some reason. I've gotten rid of a major source of stress lately, so maybe that's why I'm chillin' this time around instead of being annoyed. It's not seeming to bother me at all this year. Except for this ridiculous warm-weather chimney smoke...
  • lasmagic
    lasmagic Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

I plan on putting mine up the day after Thanksgiving, 11/28 for those not in the U.S. We got a new tree a few years ago and I was thinking it was a smaller tree to put on a table and my daughter is thinking it is a bigger pre-lit tree. So one of us is going to be surprised when we pull it out of the loft. LOL

My decorations are really old and most are homemade, I had to get rid of a lot of them over the past few years just due to the fact that many are crumbling with age. Maybe I'll make a few new decorations to put on the tree this year.
  • Rigibann
    Rigibann Posts: 3,663 Member
    Options
    We are away for Xmas this year and I am trying to find out if the house we are renting will have a tree - otherwise we will be busy putting up a tree on Christmas Eve !
  • tmeadows_08
    tmeadows_08 Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My sons birthday is around Thanksgiving, so we give him the option of getting our tree before or after his birthday, I would prefer to do it after because I don't want to overshadow his birthday, but he always wants to get a tree ON his birthday. :lol: So I suppose we will do that again this year, so that'll be next Monday!
  • bdbchick
    Options
    I love all the answers to the Christmas tree question! I normally put mine up after Thanksgiving. I am super excited! The anime con I'll be going to next month added a "ship your pass" option and I got my con badge today with stickers included! I'm currently working on an art project to use the stickers. They are way too cute to just put somewhere randomly.

• bdbchick
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Here is the art I made with the super cute stickers :). Yes it did take me almost 4 hours because of drying and such before adding another layer.

• rbratt06
    rbratt06 Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I've completed all the tasks for the week, required and optional. Just need to focus on my unbreakable vow and arithmancy. I hope I have a good weigh-in tomorrow. Going for full points!
  • aFit50
    aFit50 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    aFit50 wrote: »
    Greetings all ~ I'm Reshii. A 50+ native New Yorker, widow, mom and grandma (one son and grandson) ~ corporate legal professional, entrepreneur and wanna be black women's health advocate.

This will be my 3rd house and 3rd attempt to ace Hogwarts! (Apologies former teamies!!) My life was absolutely insane during my two failed earlier attempts, (and as much as I enjoyed Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff), hoping Sssslytherin is my true home. Discovered a "find your two houses quiz" and both times I was either a Slytherdor or Slythercraw, so think the hat got it right this time, lol (https://www.magiquiz.com/quiz/everyone-combination-two-hogwarts-houses/)

Anywho ~ lost more than 70lbs earlier this year and then fell completely off the wagon. Now after gaining and losing the same 10-20lbs (THREE TIMES!!!) I'm ready to STOP ALL THAT BULLCRAP and refocus on my future svelte self.

Love learning, music, books, philosophy, herbology, the beach, bikinis, salsa and stilettos.

Welcome to Slytherin! I've had similar problems but let's do this sssstuff together!!! Heckem's I crashed the wagon and bought fast food with the insurance money! We're all in this together!!
    **Also please try to not think of the past 2 terms as a failure but as a learning experience. We are all living beings here and losing weight and maintaining is one of the hardest things ever! Especially to those whose booty shakes for a week after having a milkshake!

P.S I stole that last line from "Big Daddy" but I feel it's a mood lol

<3<3

Also which books and music are you into?

You're too funny, and thanks for that! <3 Losing weight definitely continues to be my greatest learning experience.

Read mostly metaphysical and wellness related now, but will always love a good romance and all things paranormal. As for music, I'll swing from classical, to diva 20's-40's, 90s R&B, alternative, old school rap, jazz, .... shoot, it could even be in a language I don't understand, lol ~

And whose booty doesn't shake after a good milk shake? :)
  • aFit50
    Options
    Also I'm a bit of a reader myself.

My favorite book series is called the Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward and she has a spin off series that also ties into the main series and if you skip it you will be confused. She also has another series called the Fallen Angle series. I have 2 BDB tattoos and I love it. Here is the recommend reading list ( as a reader I can conform that it is correct, but of course it does show the reading order at the beginning of the books just in case)

OMGGGG thanks for the reminder, its been yearrrs. I loved that series. I'm so excited to go back and pick up where I left off! The last one I really enjoyed was the Vampire Huntress series by L.A. Banks. There are 12 and definitely should be read in order.
  • aFit50
    Options
    Have done a little decorating, but will be away with family and its just me at home this year so don't think Ill put one up. Am very much enjoying all the decorations going up around the city though.
  • SarahAnaruk
    Options
    I've completed all the tasks for the week, required and optional. Just need to focus on my unbreakable vow and arithmancy. I hope I have a good weigh-in tomorrow. Going for full points!

Awesome job!! Sounds like you had a great week!
  • SarahAnaruk
    Options
    Here is the art I made with the super cute stickers :). Yes it did take me almost 4 hours because of drying and such before adding another layer.

That is super cute!! Can't rush art!!