• emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    3200m with my swim buddy this morning.

500 warmup
    500 free kick fins
    500 pull breathe 3/5 by 50
    10x50 kick IMO
    5x100 as drill/swim by 100
    500 free with alternating between 60s vertical kick and 30s sculling V-up after each 50
    200 loosen
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    12.5km yesterday :D - 4hrs 35 mins with 20 of those being rest/fuel breaks scattered through.

Easing off a bit this week, focus on strength work to help shoulders. :D
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    12.5km yesterday :D - 4hrs 35 mins with 20 of those being rest/fuel breaks scattered through.

Wow that is incredible and a great pace too!!!
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    I swam too long (time) today and not long enough (streamlining). Fifty six minutes going to & fro--and some twenty more catching my breath between warm-up, drills, full stroke etc.

What I know about swimming--it's all hit & miss guessing. Today's fun: closed fist freestyle, one armed backstroke, full breaststroke & working up to some 25s of butterfly. My laughable flaws: not breathing properly, not knowing where to apply power, not knowing how to relax what's not contributing, not knowing when my butt is sagging,. Too much stuff! Too much fun! LOL
    And too tired!
  • beerfoamy
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    beerfoamy wrote: »

Wow that is incredible and a great pace too!!!

thanks!
    :D
    I would love the 15km I do in March to be under 5hrs 30 and tis looking promising!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Today: 1 mile @ 55 minutes
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Just got over a cold and still weak. I took a guest out for an ocean swim on Sunday... she said she could swim. But she panicked in deep water and I had to "rescue" her. Fortunately, she was able to following my instructions and I could tow her back to shore.

Otherwise, today, I'm still weak but okay to do a leisure one hour swim through some coral areas I hadn't fully explored earlier. Ran into hundreds of tropical fish. Found a lure and hook in the seaweed and took it out of the water for safe disposal. Saw a turtle too. Excellent clarity. Feeling much happier to be back in the water.
  • Bruceapple
    Today: 1 mile @ 55 minutes
  • kayak4water
    Yup, 42 minutes with a somewhat inauspicious beginning in light of having aggravated a herniated disc, after hacking at tennis balls yesterday.

Took an NSAID last pm, stretched a lot woke up, drank a cup of V8, stretched some more, drove to the pool, suited up, stretched again (!), jumped in and swam! I fretted needlessly that dolphin kicking would trigger pain. Swimming is good for my back.

Happiness is swimming
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    I don't run so didn't participate in the biathlon. Instead, when the lead competitors got into the water (ocean), I picked one to swim with parallel. They're incredibly fast. I could keep up for most of the leg, but got tired. I didn't want to sprint. I was able to follow my mark to the turn-around point and then made my way leisurely back to my starting point. Was good exercise! And ran into a large school of fat fish!
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    3,200 last night...mostly pulls, thanks coach. Hopefully my arms will remain attached today.
  • Bruceapple
    Today: 1 mile @ 56 minutes
  • Bruceapple
    Today: 1.5 mile = 108*25=2700Y=2492M @ 71 minutes
  • kayak4water
    Late morning after two hour bus ride from the airport last pm. Two cups of coffee. Early dinner of pizza on my 200 gm crust. In the pool at 730 pm. Tried to work on breathing on backstroke and forgetting>>> out of breath after 50 yd. The stroke itself felt more natural--my hand entry more effectively transitioned to the catch on a few 25s. So many pieces to every stroke!
    Cheers!
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Yes, and the Master's coach decided that we're going to race every event timed, including the 200 fly. To build up to that, she gave us a lot of fly sets today, and I currently need a nap because of it.
  • Bruceapple
    Today: 1.5 miles @ 73 minutes
  • kayak4water
    I swam in my hometown pool which they keep at a temperature that suits me better than any other. The county pools in Las Vegas are great, but maybe just a little bit warm.

35 to 40 minutes of all four strokes, including drills. Then out. As I walked past the lifeguards, one of them remarked,"your butterfly looks really good."
    Me: "thanks!" Hoping for a repeat!

Be the water. Be the motion.
  • beerfoamy
    Was a good week last week:

Weds - 3km
    Thurs - 2.5km
    Fri - 4km
    Sat - 8km
    Sun - 6km

Total: 23.5km :)

As I have til March 2020 to get to doing 15km in one day, I am breaking it into 2 swims on the weekends over Christmas/new year to get weekly mileage up and increase my mental stamina. The 12.5km killed me the other week for about 4 days!

I am learning and taking it more slowly to build up general weekly mileage I think. Although before work is kinda capped timewise so 5km is most I can do and would push it!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Putting a good, hard fitness challenge out there is motivating! You are doing something I can't imagine doing, but I'm so impressed with your tenacity and stamina! This is awesome!! Keep us up to date on your progress until March! Good luck! :)
  • Bruceapple
    No, pool closed for two weeks , maintenance 😒